Isn't she an NT member?

Yeah I just don't see Ninjas argument. Schilling wasn't fired because he's a republican. He was fired because he was a racist. You can't say things he did about Muslims and expect to still be on national TV for ESPN. Jemelle never said anything derogatory towards the white race, she just called out our supposed to be leader and representative

If you think expressing racist/bigoted opinions is just "being a conservative," you're proving Jemele Hill's point

I don't accept that premise., in da context of what they were talking about it belonged in da political genre that its specifically being reference about.

this is why ESPN pulled her chain.

Jemelle hill expressed a political point of view (which ESPN already had warning her & her colleagues about it)

Kurt Shilling got warned, then let go cuz he was persistent about it.

Jemelle already got suspended for that dumb *** comparison to equating Celtics fans to Adolf Hitler, she lucky she ain't get canned for that or for her Twitter rant now.

ESPN analysts need to just shut up about politics, cuz its obvious they're not equipped for it.

Last edited:
Republicans would argue that racism isn't part of the legitimate Republican platform, but, in so doing, would agree that Trump is, himself, a White Supremacist

wait...a minute, which elected republican has gone on record to call Trump a white supremacist?

this current generation is extra loose blurting that every 5 seconds accusing folks who don't adopt almost exclusive liberal ideology.

half of America voted for Trump, half of America ain't ripped outta America History X in skinhead motifs.

Jemelle Hill as a on air TV ESPN sport analyst calling Trump a while supremacist while still assuming her role as a sportscaster is something i as a sports fan don't care for...when i tune da channel away from CNN/FOX, i want da politics to STAY THERE.

that's why i only watch sportcenter @ midnight, straight old school sports.

September 13, 2017 - 03:40 PM EDT
Jemele Hill shows ESPN isn't trying to hide its political bent anymore
hilljemele09120217getty.jpg

GETTY IMAGES

BY JOE CONCHA, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR
TWEET SHARE EMAIL
Jemele Hill is unapologetic in her beliefs. She's decidedly liberal. Provocative. And one of President Trump's staunchest critics in sports media. She's actually perfect for some networks in the cable news world as a political pundit.

Those are not criticisms you're reading above. Opinions are like ice cream flavors: We all have different palates and preferences. Regardless if one agrees or disagrees with her assessment that President Trump is a white supremacist in a tweet that has spurred harsh criticism, effusive praise and dogged debate on social media and cable news.

Hill would be welcome to her perspective, except...the 41-year-old Michigan native is also an anchor on a Disney-owned shrinking juggernaut called ESPN. Her job is to report and comment on sports. And yes, topics in this arena are becoming more political, with Colin Kaepernick being the straw that stirs the drink these days.

Hill argued earlier this summer that she has no other choice but to share her opinion because "the athletes are dragging us here."

"I just hadn't noticed the correlation between us being called more liberal as you see more women in a position on our network... as you see more ethnic diversity, then all of a sudden ESPN is too liberal," she observed.

"So I wonder, when people say that, what they're really saying. The other part of it is that we're journalists, and people have to understand, these uncomfortable political conversations... the athletes are dragging us here. I didn't ask Colin Kaepernick to kneel. He did it on his own. So, was I supposed to act like he didn't?"

Perfectly reasonable argument.

But what does the president have to do with any debate around sports or the culture of sports via figures like Kaepernick these days? Trump isn't an athlete dragging Hill into uncomfortable political conversations. Her tweetstorm around a sitting president and white supremacy wasn't connected to anything ESPN was covering, but simply a tirade that came out of nowhere with seemingly no thought to what her day job is or to the network she represents.

"His rise is a direct result of white supremacy. Period," she wrote in one tweet.

She also said Trump "is unqualified and unfit to be president. He is not a leader. And if he were not white, he never would have been elected."

ESPN being ESPN lately, of course, has absolutely zero clue how to handle Hill's tweets. As a result, this limp biscuit of a statement was put out yesterday when the social media fires were too hot to ignore.

"The comments on Twitter from Jemele Hill regarding the President do not represent the position of ESPN. We have addressed this with Jemele and she recognizes her actions were inappropriate."

Shorter version: We've already pissed off half our audience, so don't even think we're going to anger the other half by punishing Jemele Hill in any capacity. Hell, we won't even ask her to take down the tweets in question.

Add it all up and no reprimand in terms of a suspension is coming Hill's way despite her potentially alienating half of ESPN's already-shrinking audience and other on-air talent at the network being punished and even fired for voicing their opinions on non-sports-related topics, most notably commentators Colin Cowherd and Curt Schilling. Clearly, they're petrified at the backlash that would come from Hill supporters/anti-Trumpers.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday that Hill's "outrageous comments" were a "fireable offense by ESPN." Whether you agree with that statement or not likely almost entirely depends on how you voted.

"That is one of the more outrageous comments that anybody could make and certainly is something that is a fireable offense by ESPN," Sanders said.

Being patently politically correct is also a thing at ESPN now, apparently.

Just last month, the ESPN apologized for broadcasting a fantasy football auction after some on social media took it to the extreme and compared it to a slave auction. ESPN caved despite, you know, plenty of white guys also being auctioned off in a fantasy football context. In a related story, 80 million Americans participate in fantasy sports each year.

ESPN also took the TV Land route in removing play-by-play announcer Robert Lee, an Asian-American, from calling a football game involving the University of Virginia because its campus is in Charlottesville.

What does TV Land have to do with this? If you recall, the channel removed Dukes of Hazzard reruns from its airwaves forever because Bo and Luke Duke owned a car called the General Lee, complete with a replica Confederate Flag on the roof. ESPN took the same - almost too impossible to believe - route with Lee, the announcer.

Back to Hill, you have to wonder what employees internally think of her getting a pass here when others on the other side of the political spectrum did not.

Is there a culture of fear at the network's Bristol headquarters? You bet.

But don't take my word for it: Here's ESPN Public Editor Jim Brady on what the feeling is internally at ESPN in 2017.

"Many ESPN employees I talked to - including liberals and conservatives, most of whom preferred to speak on background - worry that the company's politics have become a little too obvious, empowering those who feel as if they're in line with the company's position and driving underground those who don't," wrote Brady earlier this year.

"If you're a Republican or conservative, you feel the need to talk in whispers," one conservative ESPN employee said. "There's even a fear of putting Fox News on a TV [in the office]."

As you may have heard, ratings are noticeably down at the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Cord-cutting and unbundling has had an impact, no doubt.

But so has the network going way left and political as a whole.

As a homework assignment, just check out the twitter reaction to Hill's comments online today. At least half of those talking about it are fed up with her network and its employees shoving politics down its throat in a place that's supposed to represent escapism via sports from politics.

Hill was once suspended from ESPN for writing "rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

Since that time, she's been awarded hosting gigs on two programs, including the prized SportsCenter co-anchor spot at 6 p.m.

Has she been empowered for holding an opinion that falls in line with that of the ESPN executives that promote and demote, hire and fire at a moment's notice?

The answer to that is a slam-dunk.

http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...ven-trying-to-hide-its-political-bent-anymore

that's how i know i ain't buggin, what im sayin is being well represented in all recent mainstream news publications & outlets.

here's another clip..

Perhaps the most pressing political issue for the network is the wild fluctuation in punishments meted out to their employees who do cross the line into politics. For instance, Hill was allowed to skate, while network legend Linda Cohn was reportedly punished for telling a pair of radio DJs that ESPN's embrace of politics had hurt the network with its "core" viewers. (While it's unclear whether Cohn was officially suspended, she was allegedly told to "take a day off" to "think about how her comments affected the network.")

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...usiness-christian-schneider-column/663061001/

what's gonna happen eventually is da Sports networks will either go thru a civil war and Segregate based on political affiliation, something it didn't HAVE to do, if they just kept it sports.

Last edited:
that's where you wrong, Marco Rubio is no less Hispanic and isn't ostracized for being a republican no less than Adriano Espaillat is no less Hispanic for being a democrat (and first Dominican to serve in congress, shout outs to him)

so i ask you again, how can someone be alienated from a community they're inextricably apart of regardless of their politics? :emoji_thinking:

I don't know what you talkin bout, b.
The Latino community does not **** with Marco Rubio. He is a cornball papi.

It is virtually impossible not to touch politics Ninja. Indirectly, if they discuss a situation like Kap's , they have to speak on the politics of the situation.

All of this stuff is blended together. Sports doesn't sit in this test tube, away from all other aspects of life.

I don't know what you talkin bout, b.
The Latino community does not **** with Marco Rubio. He is a cornball papi.

lies. he's popular in Florida with da Hispanic Constituency.

don't extrapolate NY politics with FL.

It is virtually impossible not to touch politics Ninja. Indirectly, if they discuss a situation like Kap's , they have to speak on the politics of the situation.

this is also a misnomer, Kap is a sports figure, in da context of sports there's a reasonable stretch that can be made there, what Jemelle Hill did on twitter wasn't grounded in sports whatsoever.

this is also a misnomer, Kap is a sports figure, in da context of sports there's a reasonable stretch that can be made there, what Jemelle Hill did on twitter wasn't grounded in sports whatsoever.

I can agree with that.

But I am speaking on your general statement of, "Separate sports/politics."

I just don't think that is going to always be possible.

I can agree with that.

But I am speaking on your general statement of, "Separate sports/politics."

I just don't think that is going to always be possible.

there's reporting on what's going on in sports relating to a political issue, then there's expressing a political point of view/opinion.

i think its fairly easy to just stick to sports and stop injecting your personal political beliefs into da frame of reporting highlights or segments when its not warranted.

thats why Rush Limbaugh got fired/resigned from ESPN...in 2003

Curt Schilling is absolutely insufferable.

As a lifelong Red Sox fan and someone who was in college during their historic run and had some of the best times of my life, I completely denounce the dude.

Also, don't forget:

In July 2010, the Rhode Island Board of Economic Development approved a $75 million guaranteed loan to 38 Studios. 38 Studios promised to bring 450 jobs to the state by the end of 2012. In May 2012, 38 Studios defaulted on its loan from the state of Rhode Island and failed to meet payroll obligations to its employees. 38 Studios and its subsidiary, Big Huge Games, then laid off their staffs with a mass email. Some of the laid-off employees may have second mortgages because the company had not actually sold homes for them as part of a relocation package. Some have accused Schilling of hypocrisy based on the conflict between his professed views on "big government" and the studio's relationship with "big government". On November 1, 2012, Schilling was sued by the state in connection with the loan.

lies. he's popular in Florida with da Hispanic Constituency.

don't extrapolate NY politics with FL.
When I brought up Rubio's popularity is confined to Cubans in Florida. Your deflection was to bring up NJ.

Now it is fair game to dismiss his unpopularity outside his home state by bringing up Florida.

You are really desperate to appear like you can still hang in his debate.

Now you just spamming the thread with an opinion piece. Something you dismiss when it doesn't agree with your politics.

Dude, just stop.

Now you just spamming the thread with an opinion piece.

that's all u got rusty?

:lol:
“Commentaries on relevant sports-related issues are appropriate, but we should refrain from overt partisanship or endorsement of particular candidates, politicians or political parties.”

(It should be noted the bold emphasis above is ESPN’s, not mine.)

None of Hill’s tweets had relevancy to any “sports-related issues.”

• “The presentation should be thoughtful and respectful. We should offer balance or recognize opposing views, as warranted. We should avoid personal attacks and inflammatory rhetoric.”

As this relates to Hill’s tweets: violation, violation, violation.

Do these policies ESPN has set forth apply to Twitter?

“These guidelines act in concert with all ESPN standards & practices, including those governing social media and commentary, and apply on ESPN, Twitter, Facebook and other media.”

espn-political-guidelines-2017.jpg

https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-confirmed-bias-204714339.html

go sit down.

Last edited:
Your are only posting them because you did a **** job of trying to argue the point yourself.

I have debate you enough to know when you are desperate to look in control.

You defend Schilling even though he was allowed to violate ESPN's policies for years. Like I said, you are not morally or interlectually consistent.

You just try to deflect from post to post to say in the debate.

Please don't lump us all in with that *******, we don't all feel that way.

Of course not ALL white people. But there is an alarming number of white people that DO feel that way. More than most understand or realize.

Back
Top Bottom