It sucks to be a Federal Employee

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by juggy4805

roll.gif

You can't be serious?

Whining about a pay freeze when the feds not only overpay for positions but have more employees then necessary?
Sounds like you are spewing typical stereotypes from the media. Did this info come from an article or have you observed this? How do you know the feds overpay for my position when you don't know what I do.

I said that I am happy for my job, but who doesn't want more money
laugh.gif
. What am I suppose to say, its cool, I understand the country is doing bad so go ahead and freeze my pay for 3 years.
roll.gif
I'm sure that's what many of you would do.
I know because everybody knows.
laugh.gif
It ain't exactly a secret. 
A family member works as a senior system admin for Lockheed Martin in the MD/DC area and was recommended for  a similar position at NASA. The pay and benefits package is significantly better even though the LM package isn't shabby. 

There are very few positions where the Feds pay/benefits package is inferior to a similar position in the private sector. 

btw, the sector where I'm employed is one of them.
laugh.gif

I refuse to ever say I am overpaid and do no work. I will always feel as though I deserve a pay increase.

Are there any Federal employees or any employee for that matter that would agree with a pay freeze?

juggy4805 wrote:
I refuse to ever say I am overpaid and do no work. I will always feel as though I deserve a pay increase.

Are there any Federal employees or any employee for that matter that would agree with a pay freeze?

If  my employer was in dire financial straits then yes, I would understand the reasoning behind and accept a pay freeze even if I felt that I was owed more. 
I always have the choice to leave. 

Your employer, the Federal government, is running massive deficits to the tune of 1 trillion + year. 

juggy4805 wrote:

If  my employer was in dire financial straits then yes, I would understand the reasoning behind and accept a pay freeze even if I felt that I was owed more. 

Your employer, the Federal government, is running massive deficits to the tune of 1 trillion + year. 

Personally, I think government employees should be taking a pay-cut/pay freeze. It use to be that you would work for the government, and be paid less, but you would have much greater job security. Now, for federal employees at least, they're getting paid more compared to private sector workers, as well as having the same job security.

Source: My dad who's a Federal Employee.

Personally, I think government employees should be taking a pay-cut/pay freeze. It use to be that you would work for the government, and be paid less, but you would have much greater job security. Now, for federal employees at least, they're getting paid more compared to private sector workers, as well as having the same job security.

Source: My dad who's a Federal Employee.

juggy4805 wrote:

Trust, I would not be happy but I would accept it.

juggy4805 wrote:

Trust, I would not be happy but I would accept it.

Speak for yourself, I've made a butt load of money this year, plus tons of overtime being given out left and right, and a bonus coming up next month.

Speak for yourself, I've made a butt load of money this year, plus tons of overtime being given out left and right, and a bonus coming up next month.

[h2][/h2]
Sometimes it sucks to be a Federal employee. It seems to be the general consensus that all we do is sit around and correct a paycheck
There's a joke here, and I'm not gonna be the one to say it

[h2][/h2]
Sometimes it sucks to be a Federal employee. It seems to be the general consensus that all we do is sit around and correct a paycheck
There's a joke here, and I'm not gonna be the one to say it

My Dad's a mailman and he does pretty well for himself. He works his %+% off though. The pay and benefits seem great to me.

My Dad's a mailman and he does pretty well for himself. He works his %+% off though. The pay and benefits seem great to me.

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td][table][tr][td]
[/td][td][h3]It sucks to be a Federal Employee Unemployed[/h3]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td][table][tr][td]
[/td][td][h3]It sucks to be a Federal Employee Unemployed[/h3]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

The nerve of some people.

"It sucks to be a federal employee"

Really? A lot of people that WANT a job don't have one. Idiocy.

The nerve of some people.

"It sucks to be a federal employee"

Really? A lot of people that WANT a job don't have one. Idiocy.

Hell, I'll take a fed gig, hirin freeze and all. I won't complain b/c I know I'll be makin $40k+/yr w/ some decent benefits.

Try workin for $9.50/hr, "ok" benefits, no raise in sight and if there is, no more than $0.25. And don't even think about overtime.

Hell, I'll take a fed gig, hirin freeze and all. I won't complain b/c I know I'll be makin $40k+/yr w/ some decent benefits.

Try workin for $9.50/hr, "ok" benefits, no raise in sight and if there is, no more than $0.25. And don't even think about overtime.

Do we really have anything to complain about? I'm an intern for the USDA (every summer since 2005, still working on degrees) and a federal job is the way.. great starting salary for my career, the benefits, per deim while on travel, and I get a GOV to drive to and from work so I don't have to worry about gas? A pay freeze is fine, as long as I still have my job when I graduate. 
happy.gif

Do we really have anything to complain about? I'm an intern for the USDA (every summer since 2005, still working on degrees) and a federal job is the way.. great starting salary for my career, the benefits, per deim while on travel, and I get a GOV to drive to and from work so I don't have to worry about gas? A pay freeze is fine, as long as I still have my job when I graduate. 
happy.gif

I am going to back you up on this OP. I work for NASA and I consider myself to be a hard worker but man the pay here is no where near good. My friends that work in private are making 50-60k a year. Im sitting at GS-7 and will get my raise in a year to be a GS-9 then another year to be a GS-11.  Aka il be on their starting salary in about 3 years. 

One of the few things i have to look forward to is the cost of living increase to brighten up my life. But apparently not anymore....our bonuses (if you even get one) are terrible too. So people in private are bringing in 8-9k for xmas bonus. Il be lucky to see 300 bucks.

I feel for you people who are unemployed i know how hard it is. But federal vs private, pay wise, private almost always wins.

And there are a lot of lazy people in the government not going to lie.  But when you can't be motivated by money because your raises really aren't performanced based you just lose interest after 20 years.  But there are plenty of hard working individuals here.

I am going to back you up on this OP. I work for NASA and I consider myself to be a hard worker but man the pay here is no where near good. My friends that work in private are making 50-60k a year. Im sitting at GS-7 and will get my raise in a year to be a GS-9 then another year to be a GS-11.  Aka il be on their starting salary in about 3 years. 

One of the few things i have to look forward to is the cost of living increase to brighten up my life. But apparently not anymore....our bonuses (if you even get one) are terrible too. So people in private are bringing in 8-9k for xmas bonus. Il be lucky to see 300 bucks.

I feel for you people who are unemployed i know how hard it is. But federal vs private, pay wise, private almost always wins.

And there are a lot of lazy people in the government not going to lie.  But when you can't be motivated by money because your raises really aren't performanced based you just lose interest after 20 years.  But there are plenty of hard working individuals here.

Back
Top Bottom