John Salley On Michael Jordan! "He's Not The Greatest Player Ever"

But we're not talking about average height of players.
Many "quality" centers were

Wilt was 7-1, had olympic high jump caliber leaping ability. his vertical is approximated to be about 40 inches, thats NUTS, now, then it's nuts. He was a freak, with completley unsophisticated nutrition and training methods. You don't think Wilts raw physical tools could be improved with the technology we have now?

Wilt would dominate now, just as he did then.

Funny.
John Salley has done more in basketball than every member of this board combined but he doesn't get to have an opinion.

He can have an opinion, doesn't mean it's correct.

It's no coincidence that when he lists off the greatest players he's ever played against, he names Magic and Bird who happened to be on the most dominant teams of that time. So when he talks about the best players he played against, it's clear that he's really referring to the best teams that the Pistons played against and needed to beat to become champions. This is confirmed by the fact that he mentions McHale and Kareem.

Most people would pick MJ over Magic and Bird (including Magic and Bird themselves), but for Salley to include McHale and KAJ? C'mon now...

Saying that Jordan was "just one of the players when they went to Dream Team" is clearly false, there's no need to even argue this point. That statement shows you where he's coming from and it ain't reality.

BTW in case anyone was wondering, MJ averaged 31.5ppg vs the "Bad Boys" from his rookie year through '90-'91 and that's including playoff games. I guess he could go left.

^Yeah thats not true.

Wilt Chamberlain maybe the greatest athlete the human race has ever produced let alone the NBA. He would be head and shoulders over everyone athletically in ANY ERA.

Would Wilt dominated if he would have faced the likes of Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Mutombo, Zo, Robinson ?

That's like saying would Jim Brown be as good today facing faster, stronger, and bigger d-lineman? Would Johnny Unitas be as good and put the numbers up that he did with faster db's and more advanced defensive schemes? Would Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron be as good hitting against modern pitchers who throw harder and are stronger? Would Gretzky have been as good compared with the modern game and the butterfly goaltending style thats taken over?

You can't take players out of their respective era and compare them to the current times....diets, exercise regimens, natural progression of medical treatments for injuries, hell even transportation now is wayyyyyyyyyyy different and improved from all the older generations. You have to take the player out of their time and say, if they had the same access as these current guys to modern nutritional plans, exercise equipment, medicine, travel, lifestyle would they be able to play against these guys, and even then its a hypothetical that has no answer and its not a useful argument. Fact is Wilt averaged 50 and 25 and OVER 48 mins a game one season, led the league in assists just because people said he couldn't pass....cross generational comparisons are never valid b/c theres too many extraneous factors that come in to play....look at what they did and how they dominated the people they were playing against. I believe MJ is the best player based on his ability and his achievements as well as the overall cultural impact he has had on the game of basketball, everyone grew up emulating that man, hell all of us still have Jordans and some wait and camp out for his overpriced shoes :lol

And John Salley saying Kevin McHale was the best on those celtic teams is laughable...yea he's played in the NBA and I haven't but Jamarcus Russell and Maurice Clarrett were an NFL starters does that mean I'd trust their thoughts on how to read and beat defenses and who the best QB of all time is? Nope

Dre, I could be off but when I first read that guys comment, I thought he was saying that by Salley hyping Isiah (former teammate) and MJ being a bitter rival, Salley was sort of having Isiah's back, and the poster was saying that's all he needed to know about Salley.

*shrugs* I could have misread that, but it was how I took it.

Osh, nicely done man. That post was top notch.

Kobe is no where near the player MJ was just stop it. Dude is the most "fortunate" great player ever and has had the best front office in his NBA career I'll give him that. Lebron will end his career as the goat we have never seen a player dominate like he has before and we will never see it again. Lebron is the greatest physical specimen to ever set foot in the NBA. Dude can really play 4 positions well above average offensively and defensively. NOBODY has ever seen this combination of athleticism and IQ in a player EVER. Dude is literally Magic, Mike, and Karl Malone in one.

and who the **** is John Salley? A nobody who never earned a damned thing in the league.

dude built his "name" riding other's coat-tails, and now he's using Jordan's name to gain notoriety. people going "who the **** is john salley".....don't feed the troll.

his opinion is worth ****.

no, it's worth less than ****.

Last edited:
Kobe is no where near the player MJ was just stop it. Dude is the most "fortunate" great player ever and has had the best front office in his NBA career I'll give him that. Lebron will end his career as the goat we have never seen a player dominate like he has before and we will never see it again. Lebron is the greatest physical specimen to ever set foot in the NBA. Dude can really play 4 positions well above average offensively and defensively. NOBODY has ever seen this combination of athleticism and IQ in a player EVER. Dude is literally Magic, Mike, and Karl Malone in one.

:{ C'mon son... have some dignity!

IFWT-bosh-celebrates1.jpg

so lets hear those cases then champ :rolleyes
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2009
6-time NBA champion: 1991-93, 1996-98 (all with Chicago Bulls)
6 NBA Finals appearances: 1991-93, 1996-98
5-time NBA Most Valuable Player: 1988, 1991–92, 1996, 1998[1][2]
10-time scoring champion: 1987-93, 1996–98[3]
3-time steals leader: 1988, 1990, 1993
3-time minutes leader: 1987-89
14-time NBA All-Star: 1985-93, 1996–98, 2002-03[4]
3-time NBA All-Star Game MVP: 1988, 1996, 1998[5]
6-time NBA Finals Most Valuable Player: 1991-93, 1996-98[6]
1-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year: 1987-88[7]
11-time All-NBA selection:
First Team: 1987-93, 1996-98[8][9]
Second Team: 1985[8][9]
9-time All-Defensive selection:
First Team: 1988-93, 1996-98[10][11]
NBA All-Rookie selection:
First Team: 1985[12][13]
NBA Rookie of the Year: 1985[14]
2-time NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion: 1987-88[15]
Ranked #1 by SLAM Magazine's Top 75 Players of All-time
Ranked #1 by ESPN Sportscentury's Top 100 Athletes of the 20th Century
Selected in 1996 as one of the "50 Greatest Players in NBA History"
Two Olympic gold medals - USA: 1984, 1992
MJ is THE G.O.A.T doggie flat out
Not to mention 6/6 in NBA finals :x :Nthat

Dre, I could be off but when I first read that guys comment, I thought he was saying that by Salley hyping Isiah (former teammate) and MJ being a bitter rival, Salley was sort of having Isiah's back, and the poster was saying that's all he needed to know about Salley.
*shrugs* I could have misread that, but it was how I took it.
Osh, nicely done man. That post was top notch.

How is stating a fact or telling the truth hyping though? It's not like he said Zeke is the greatest guard of all time and is better than MJ. Isaiah didn't even have anything to do w/ the MJ thing cause it's not like they're compared. It gives no credence to a reason why he said it

and who the **** is John Salley? A nobody who never earned a damned thing in the league.

dude built his "name" riding other's coat-tails, and now he's using Jordan's name to gain notoriety. people going "who the **** is john salley".....don't feed the troll.
his opinion is worth ****.
no, it's worth less than ****.

John Salley was an important rotation player on the Pistons. He wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination but he earned those two rings as much say Udonis Haslem has earned his.

After that yeah he got his rings on some Adam Morrison type stuff but a lot of you are too young to remember this and just talking out of your ***** which is exactly why yall are so tight at him.

stop slobbering man... you sound like you got a crush on lebron.. so what he's physically gifted.. but obviously his IQ is not that high as you claim it to be.. otherwise he'd understand that he should take it to the rack instead of shooting jumpers... otherwise he'd understand he should develop a post up game.. it took him 9 years, and still to this point he had the help of not 1 superstar, but 2 superstars

**** John Salley ************ road someones coat tails his whole carreer :{
Magic will tell you Mike was the best ever
Larry will tell you Mike was the best ever
Barkley etc.
but this shumck wanna bump his gums Mike prolly punked him during his time getting splinters in his *** for the bulls
professional bench warmer *** ***** wanna take shots at the G.O.A.T I'm catchin the fade with this *** if I see em out in the streets

iCTVpD3AF1gQv.gif

:lol
These topics just prove MJ stans and Kobe stans are members of the same dysfunctional family.
I believe MJ is the GOAT but you can definitely make an argument for several other great players....nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion on this subject.

:{ C'mon son... have some dignity!
IFWT-bosh-celebrates1.jpg

Have some dignity, crush on Lebron, whatever...doesn't change the fact that he's right.

No other player in NBA history has had the ability to post 30 8 & 8 on 50% all the while defending 1-5's. He's a beast in transition, a terror in the half-court, he can do it all. Now, asking who will have the best career when it's all set and done? That's a conversation for another time. (Although, through 9 seasons, he has put together a fantastic resume that in all likelihood, will just continue to writhe in luster)

But, if you are talking about THE BEST PLAYER IN NBA HISTORY? it's without a doubt Lebron James.

Not a surprise. Laimbeer hates MJ too. That CHI/DET was one the nastiest rivalries in the history of sports.

And putting Magic (or Kareem) over Jordan isn't even a slight to MJ.

Charles Oakley said it best today on ESPN. Sally is just bitter maybe jordan wasn't the best team mate but no one could match his skill and will. People act as if Jordan didn't make scottie into the player he was. What was he with out Mj just think about him on the Rockets and Portland. Lebron is not even in the conversation. Did people forget about Shaq one of the if not the most dominant force and physical specimen ever.......

Wilt, Russell, Kareem, MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem and Duncan all are ahead of Bron Bron.

Last edited:
Charles Oakley said it best today on ESPN. Sally is just bitter maybe jordan wasn't the best team mate but no one could match his skill and will. People act as if Jordan didn't make scottie into the player he was. What was he with out Mj just think about him on the Rockets and Portland. Lebron is not even in the conversation. Did people forget about Shaq one of the if not the most dominant force and physical specimen ever.......
Wilt, Russell, Kareem, MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem and Duncan all are ahead of Bron Bron.

what was pippen without jordan? That year, he earned All-Star Game MVP honors and led the Bulls in scoring, assists, and blocks, and the league in steals, averaging 22.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 2.9 steals, and 0.8 blocks per game, while shooting 49.1% from the field and a career-best 32% from the 3-point line. For his efforts, he earned the first of three straight All-NBA First Team selections, and he finished third in MVP voting. The Bulls finished the season with 55 wins, only two fewer than the year before.

How? Achievements and overall career sure, but NONE of them can do what Lebron does on the floor nightly nor can anyone of those guys affect a basketball game in the effective manner that Lebron does. None of them guard 5 positions, none of them are as complete as Lebron, period.

Back
Top Bottom