Kanye West: King of the Sunken Place, "Watch the Throne"

ye' only starts blabbing his mouth when he needs to sell something

ex. his new yeezys + his upcoming album.

im a fan of dude's shoes + music, but his mental state concerns me... which makes me wonder... should you separate the art from the artists?

All them alt-right mouthpieces are nothing more than crisis actors at this point. Is there even any money in it? Strange thing to sell your soul for. YouTube ain't monetizing that ****. Someone has to bankroll you so you can do the college lecture circuit in front of crowds of 50+.

To go from neo-stasi to MAGAtard that fast is suspect.

apparently da gamergate saga turned her out.

sports, music, and videogames are one of da few platforms that people from da left & right spectrum have to intereact with each other, so when things collide in those spaces, its interesting to see what shakes out.

All them alt-right mouthpieces are nothing more than crisis actors at this point. Is there even any money in it?

Paid to speak

By BEN SMITH

10/11/2010 12:37 PM EDT

Buried in its profile of Ann Coulter, the Times reports that she makes 90% of her income on paid speeches, and recently charged $25,000 to speak at the Wake County Republican Women’s Club in Raleigh.

Those hefty figures are a glimpse at what is, in some ways, the real economy of politics. Most of the people you see talking on television or quoted in stories -- who aren't in elected office -- make substantial parts of their livings giving speeches to private groups. Paid speaking, cleaner than lobbying, easier than the practice of law, cleaner than hitting up pension funds, well, safer than graft, has become the primary source of income for a broad range of political figures, beginning with Bill Clinton, who reported $7.5 million from paid speech in 2009.

The high fees for speakers like Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Stanley McChrystal occasionally draw attention, but beneath them are tiers and tiers more, with Harold Ford and Michael Steele, for instance, charging $40,000 for a package deal.

In that middle tier are commentators like Coulter and high-profile television personalities. Well down the ladder are journalists, lower-profile politicians, and consultants.

I've been wondering -- and am interested in readers' takes, particularly those in the industry -- how this private economy affects the public politics. For one thing, it provides an incentive for consultants and out-of-work politicians to volunteer themselves to cable television and to make themselves interested and controversial enough to stay on it. (It's a kind of subsidy to cable.) Cable hits are a kind of loss leader on the speaking circuit -- they don't themselves play, but they make a paid speaker more saleable.

How the fact that their basic careers are as paid speakers affects Bill Clinton's or Sarah Palin's conduct isn't obvious to me, but it seems unwise to imagine that people don't take a major source of income seriously.

The scale of the speaking circuit also, I think, mirrors 19th Century public life, when figures like Ralph Waldo Emerson and Mark Twain charged a then-hefty $20 for a ticket to a speech, and when speaking tours constituted the main public identity for the commentariat.

It's also a bit like the music industry, where, increasingly, you give away some content and charge for the performance.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-smith/2010/10/paid-to-speak-029843

politics is not unlike da music industry in terms of going on tour and gettin paid for walk thrus, shows, and bookings...this applies for da left & right.

A lot of Kanye hate but I'm 100% sure most of you will be listening on June 1st and June 8th. Keep it real.

Was just thinking this. Ain’t like anything been must listen to since MBDTF ..his new **** will not be hard to pass on.

He’s reach the point of fame and money where he fails to understand the plight of his own people. Hard to believe this the dude that had anything to do with “ Crack Music “

Life of Pablo is a classic though. The remastered version is way better than what he first released. Went back to it a few times and honestly left me speechless with how good it is.

Anyways the notion that he is not a genius is silly. To be at the Apex of rap music to now being at the Apex of fashion and clothing while still being at the pantheon of rap greats right now that people still drop everything when he releases music is mind boggling. He knows how to stay relevant and he always releases a quality product regardless of what NT general thinks.

All them alt-right mouthpieces are nothing more than crisis actors at this point. Is there even any money in it? Strange thing to sell your soul for. YouTube ain't monetizing that ****. Someone has to bankroll you so you can do the college lecture circuit in front of crowds of 50+.
Patreon is what they cake off of now. Youtube is just a way to self-advertise for them at this point.

Same **********er calling Louis Vuitton, Gucci group and Nike racist cause they wanted to limit his success since he was black.

...but this, tho. how you a multimillion dollar recording artist and industry style icon crying about not having the platform you need? weak ****.

Yall gotta stop putting these athletes and entertainers on a pedestal for other things outside of their profession. U just get set up for disappointment otherwise.

a platform is an inherent part of celebrity...basic "monkey see, monkey do" and a lot of them are looking at you. there's no way to turn that tendency off.

Ali was an example of someone who did lasting good by using his platform well, and so I think the issue is more with the practitioners than the practice.

now, who do we hold up as celebrities? that might be a better angle of attack.

apparently da gamergate saga turned her out.

sports, music, and videogames are one of da few platforms that people from da left & right spectrum have to intereact with each other, so when things collide in those spaces, its interesting to see what shakes out.

This is what I heard but I still don't buy it. She's such a normiecon. The gamergaters I know who went right didn't become miilquetoast republicans. Gamergate moved people to varying right wing ideologies, but with universal condemnation for neoconservatism, neoliberalism, and fence sitting centrism generally. I think she's shilling for conservative coins to be tossed at her.

He has some of the most popular sneakers right now and anytime he wears something people are immediately trying to copy what he wears. He's definitely one of the biggest influencers in the fashion industry

Agreed. Can't say I'm a fan of his music but I agree with this.

Dude could start wearing soccer cleats tomorrow and people would be on it

Life of Pablo is a classic though. The remastered version is way better than what he first released. Went back to it a few times and honestly left me speechless with how good it is.

Anyways the notion that he is not a genius is silly. To be at the Apex of rap music to now being at the Apex of fashion and clothing while still being at the pantheon of rap greats right now that people still drop everything when he releases music is mind boggling. He knows how to stay relevant and he always releases a quality product regardless of what NT general thinks.

LOL. Bless your heart.

rdlol.gif

****** gonna sit here and not listen to life of Pablo again though. That's fine. Stay sleeping. I didn't like it at first but the new remastered version is fire.

Back
Top Bottom