Knicks to pay Marbury $21.9 million to ride bench

By Andrew Marchand
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: November 4, 2008, 2:10 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

The New York Knicks have no plans to do anything with Stephon Marbury, except pay him his $21.9 million salary and give him a great seat to watch all their games.

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and team president Donnie Walsh said that they will not waive, buy out or trade Marbury. They also will not let him play in games, unless there is an injury to their top three guards, Chris Duhon, Jamal Crawford or Nate Robinson.

Looking back at the last two years, I kind of liked Larry Brown. I kind of liked Larry Brown. I'm like, 'Man, I wish this guy was here to drill me now.'

-- Stephon Marbury

After Walsh met with both D'Antoni and Marbury on Monday, the Knicks announced Tuesday that they feel the issue is dead. Marbury will be inactive until further notice.

"It is resolved," D'Antoni told a larger than usual contingent of reporters after practice on Tuesday. "It is. Pretty soon that story is not going to be fun to read because it is going to be the same old story.

"You are going to be beating a dead horse," he said.

Marbury, 31, was the face of the Knicks under Isiah Thomas, but D'Antoni has been lukewarm, at best, toward Marbury since training camp. So why keep the former All-Star, who has been a distraction in the past, on the team?

"It is a lot of money," D'Antoni said. "He has a contract, rightly so. If somebody gets hurt, we might need him. Why not? Steph has been great. He is part of the team. We are trying to do what is best for the Knicks."

Walsh said the case is "closed" on the Marbury controversy. Walsh said that he leaves playing time decisions to his coaches and does not interfere. Still, why keep Marbury on the team if there are no plans to play him?

"He is a good player," Walsh said.

When the media were allowed into practice Tuesday, Marbury rode a stationary bike alongside the injured Eddy Curry. Marbury did not participate in the Knicks' drills but was involved in the team's post-practice huddle.

Marbury, who does not have an agent, will be a free agent at the end of the season.

"I don't know what the future holds," said Marbury, who has averaged nearly 20 points and eight assists per game for his career. "All I can do is sit still, be obedient and watch and learn from the situation."

Marbury has seen a lot of turmoil since he has been a Knick. Last season began in the wake of his sensational testimony in the Thomas sexual harassment civil suit.

Before that, Marbury feuded with Larry Brown. Brown returns to Madison Square Garden as the head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday.

"Looking back at the last two years, I kind of liked Larry Brown," Marbury said with a laugh. "I kind of liked Larry Brown. I'm like, 'Man, I wish this guy was here to drill me now.'"

smh.gif
They are doing this dude so wrong that it isn't even funny.

They are just trying to wait him out, hoping that he'll take the buy out once he realizes he is losing potential future earnings while riding the pine. Idont necessarily agree with it, but its a shrewd business move.

I never quite understood this, but if he gets waived, they pay him the 21 mill... If he gets picked up by another team, do they pay him as well?

Marbury officially has one of the most comedic careers of any athlete ever.

The best part is it's not even over yet so we'll have more.

I'll sit on a bench for 22 million a year, traveling all over the US. Sounds fun. They know he's still valuable, that's why they don't want toget rid of him for absolutely nothing, but he's untradeable at this point.

...he's the one who won't take anything less...so if he really wanted to play this year he'd come to a compromise..

Let him rot.

smh.gif
In spite of his antics and bad decisions, this is over the top. Walsh andD'Antoni are dirty 4 this one

Looking back at the last two years, I kind of liked Larry Brown. I kind of liked Larry Brown. I'm like, 'Man, I wish this guy was here to drill me now.'
laugh.gif

Yeah...he's doing everything right, right guys? Clamoring for another coach.

Please do not make him out as a victim.

For everything you may feel D'Antoni or Walsh are doing unfairly, Steph has a quote to deserve it.

I'm sure he could get 11,12,13 million for this buy out and go play somewhere else...and we're supposed to feel sorry for someone with THAT option?

He's dug his own grave, now he has to live in it.

if he plays or doesn't play, do you think it will make the Knicks that much better or worse? the answer is NO..... so why does D'Antoni owe Marburyanything?

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

They are just trying to wait him out, hoping that he'll take the buy out once he realizes he is losing potential future earnings while riding the pine. I dont necessarily agree with it, but its a shrewd business move.
I remember hearing theyre trying to get him for insubordination like not showing up to a practice or a game

Nothing is going to change. Knicks are going to pay him the 20+ mil. He'll be a DNP in the box score.

Both sides win in the end.

karma's full circle.

it's a shame that he's being done like this in his hometown but w/e

Actually I would argue Marbury being paid $100 millon by the Knicks since mid 2003-04 is more the shame. Ah the NBA.....it's fannnnnnntastic.

It's grimey, but Stephon is part of the reason he's in this mess right now...

Anybody else get the feeling this wasn't Walsh or D'Antoni's decision? I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dolan refused to just pay him hismoney and get him outta town...

Walsh and Mike gotta know damn well it's in their best interests to get him as far away from the Knicks as possible if they're really trying to rebuildthis thing...

man eddy curry is a different story
laugh.gif
grin.gif

that dude is unmotivated, that's why he gets treated like that

I think D'Antoni doesn't care as much as Walsh does, and although Walsh DOES care, not nearly as much as Dolan.

Yup, nowitness...that guy is too much about money to just give steph the 20+...

I'm sure Walsh wants him out...and we know D'Antoni does

i don't care how much money he's making...

but to expect the fans to watch two mediocre point guards for an entire season while a FAR better option rots on the bench in street clothes...get real.

the fans aren't THAT stupid

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

It's grimey, but Stephon is part of the reason he's in this mess right now...

Anybody else get the feeling this wasn't Walsh or D'Antoni's decision? I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dolan refused to just pay him his money and get him outta town...

Walsh and Mike gotta know damn well it's in their best interests to get him as far away from the Knicks as possible if they're really trying to rebuild this thing...
It has more to do with D'Antoni than with Walsh...

Marbury does what he's told to do this summer, comes back, D'Antoni doesn't play him, puts him on the inactive list....In today's newspaper,Walsh is wondering why this has been happening....there's alot more to this story...a few articles have been posted in the knicks thread

Back
Top Bottom