Knicks: No plans to trade, waive, buy out Marbury

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

No team has ever ATTEMPTED to build around Stephon Marbury. He was brought in to perform miracles, and was blamed when things expectedly went wrong. He still dropped 20 and 8 wherever he went.

Stephon Marbury is not why the Knicks are bad. Trading Antonio Davis' and Penny's expiring contracts for Steve Francis and Jalen Rose killed the Knicks. Committing $13 million a season to Jared Jeffries killed the Knicks. Trading away lottery picks for Eddy Curry killed the Knicks. And amidst all this chaos throughout the years, Stephon just wanted to ball. Let him.
right on point with those 2 statements. I mean if anything Curry should get more slack than Steph. i know he gets a lot of *@$+ but its alldeserved. If he drops 15+ and we lose its "Curry showed his potential" if Stephon drops 25 and 10 and we miss the playoffs its "hes aloser" its cause his expectations were too high. And other than Minnesota he was brought into *@$+ teams and was just expected to turn them around likethat. He did all he can but a man can only do so much. Yeah but Curry should take WAY more heat seeing as what we gave for him and hes a *$+*#%% loser WAY morethan Stephon.

And for real on the 2nd part Marbury is the scapegoat right now. He didnt make those bad trades dont blame him for Isiah's *@$+ and that is whats happeningright now.

But this is it for me. Ive said enough on this thread im tired out
laugh.gif
andfor all yall Knicks fans its all love. As for this thread im done looking at it and if i post again just quote me on this
roll.gif
see yall in the Knicks season thread im OUT
pimp.gif

I'm not going to go into the previous debates, but I was thinking about this...

Steph now wants the Players Association to step in and intervene, but does he have a real case?

If D'Antoni is the coach, doesn't he have the RIGHT to bench Marbury?
Now granted he is still the most talented pg on the Knicks roster, but since when does talent = automatic playing time?

I don't think that it's right for the Knicks to just put him on the inactive list like that, but if the coach doesn't want to play him and theowner doesn't want to pay him to go away...well I say they have every right to do so.

So I just read on ESPN's ticker that Starbury's going to ask the NBAPA if they can step in and help him resolve the situation.

laugh.gif

The heck are they going to do? Force D'Antoni to play the man?
laugh.gif
If they're going to start forcing teams to play players, they've got a lot ofwork to do.

This ain't Little League, Steph.
laugh.gif

Exact same thing that I was thinking Ska...

The worst thing I think the NBAPA could do is ask that Steph be taken off the inactive roster, but he would still rack up DNP-Coach's decisions sowhat's the point?

'03-'04 Knicks pre-Marbury trade: 14-21 (.400) in 35 games.
'03-'04 Knicks post-Marbury trade: 25-22 (.532) in 47 games.

'98-'99 Nets pre-Marbury trade: 3-16 (.157) in 19 games.
'98-'99 Nets post-Marbury trade: 13-18 (.419) in 31 games.
Don't forget his rookie year. 95/96 The Wolves were 26-56. Marbury's rookie year they went 40-42, and made the playoffs for the first timein franchise history.

Phoenix gave him that money.

They did....but no matter who initially inked him the fact of the matter is after this season the man will be paid exactly 100 mil by the Knicksjust since mid 03-04.

That's putrid, and I would say it's close to the worst in the league but then again the NBA has about 40 other cases of players being paid even morepathetic amounts relative to production. No matter what happens or has happened though, Stephon Marbury's situation has paid him 100 millon dollars intohis pocket in just 5 years.

Time to go get that 12 dollar beer and 8 dollar hot dog tonight.

I cant seem to get this thought out of my head since I heard they werent gonna trade him or buy him out
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by yungmatt

%+#+%! up economy,biggest election in history to TRY to "save" the country, and this season Steph gets approximately $268,292 per GAME to NOT PLAY...... What a beautiful place the U.S. is
laugh.gif
Believe me,Steph aint mad
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Thing about us knicks fans...we want things to change, but when we try to, we complain or forget we were trash for almost a decade..looking back at it all,trading for marbury was one of the worst moves we ever made.

we're some of the most delusional fans on the planet.

I have to agree that its dumb for sTeph to go to the Players Assosciation. sure its dumb hes on the bench and he should get in, but you cant force a coach toplay you. And nobody is forcing him to stay on the team, he just wont take less $ which i agree with. But if Steph really wants out than he should just takeless $. I get it if he doesnt want to but h has no case in this once.

EDIT:
why because our idiot management has made sumb @!$%#+! moves the past decade?
indifferent.gif

i still think steph was a good trade but everything after steph was suspect... only good thing the franchise did was draft players like lee, robinson,chandler, collins and even balkman...

Originally Posted by THE GR8

I have to agree that its dumb for sTeph to go to the Players Assosciation. sure its dumb hes on the bench and he should get in, but you cant force a coach to play you. And nobody is forcing him to stay on the team, he just wont take less $ which i agree with. But if Steph really wants out than he should just take less $. I get it if he doesnt want to but h has no case in this once.

EDIT:
indifferent.gif

thats exactly what i meant
indifferent.gif

come on dude, we are pretty delusional. esp when we chant for marbury to play. esp when we all thought getting z-bo was a good move. we actually beleived wewere a playoff contender after that.

When we got marbury, us knick fans we going nuts, esp here on nt...dont remember?

cats were hyped off a allan houston, kurt thomas, marbury line up...i was one of them i'm just as delusional. i'm no different.

you're right about the management, but dont act like when a trade goes through we dont usually buy it...because we do.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

If D'Antoni is the coach, doesn't he have the RIGHT to bench Marbury?
Reportedly, Walsh has given Mike full autonomy over who plays.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

yeah but even Walsh agrees Steph should be in
ohwell.gif

i still think steph was a good trade but everything after steph was suspect... only good thing the franchise did was draft players like lee, robinson, chandler, collins and even balkman...
agreed with everything except my edit. that draft was weak as hell if you ask me. Mardy Collins is #@#%%$% garbage and we traded Balkman fornothing this summer. That draft coulda been drawn up ALOT better. We had 2 picks and we knew we needed a PG, instead of drafting Balkman at 20 (a guy nobodyhad even heard of) and waited to draft Collins at 29, we shoulda drafted a PG when there was a wide variety of quality PGs available at 20 (Rondo, SergioRodriguez, Kyle Lowry, etc.) and than if we were so high on Renaldo draft Balkman at 29 cause he would sure as !*@! be available.. most draft experts didnteven predict him to get drafted and if he did in the mid-late 2nd round. So cause we drafted Balkman at 20 all of those quality PGs that were available were nolonger available so we had to settle for bum %+! Collins
sick.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by BwooDFolkGD74

Originally Posted by THE GR8

I have to agree that its dumb for sTeph to go to the Players Assosciation. sure its dumb hes on the bench and he should get in, but you cant force a coach to play you. And nobody is forcing him to stay on the team, he just wont take less $ which i agree with. But if Steph really wants out than he should just take less $. I get it if he doesnt want to but h has no case in this once.

EDIT:
indifferent.gif
thats exactly what i meant
indifferent.gif

come on dude, we are pretty delusional. esp when we chant for marbury to play. esp when we all thought getting z-bo was a good move. we actually beleived we were a playoff contender after that.

When we got marbury, us knick fans we going nuts, esp here on nt...dont remember?

cats were hyped off a allan houston, kurt thomas, marbury line up...i was one of them i'm just as delusional. i'm no different.

you're right about the management, but dont act like when a trade goes through we dont usually buy it...because we do.

As numerous people have mentioned stephon could have worked out if it wasnt for some dumb @%! management decisions after we got stephon. And whywouldnt we be hyped out of Steph? In his first year he took us from last place to the playoffs and was one of the premier players in the L.

Sure Z bo isnt a good player but i still do that trade 10/10 times. Steve ***%*!% Francis aint got %@!$ on Z Bo, he is still to this day after Eddy Curry myleast favorite Knick of all time right before KVH.
sick.gif

Francis' contract was just as bad as Zach's except he was more of a cancer and wasnt as good and Channng Frye was cotton ***%*!% soft. Sure Z Bo isntgood but we gave up %@!$ for him and we got rid of Steve's contract.

i mean i dont know if anybody supported 2 lottery pciks for Curry, or hiring coaches just like that, or trading Penny and Ariza for Francis, or even way backwith moves like Nene + Camby for McDyess, or Spree for KVH, or even Pat for absolute trash with big contracts
indifferent.gif

i mean cmon when your management is that pathetic you gotta credit Knicks fans for keeping it real and NOT becoming dellusional. So
indifferent.gif
at you calling out out of all things in the Knicks franchise the fans.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Stephon Marbury has never made a team he's been on better. Not at any point in his career.
'03-'04 Knicks pre-Marbury trade: 14-21 (.400) in 35 games.
'03-'04 Knicks post-Marbury trade: 25-22 (.532) in 47 games.

His teammates then are almost the same, the he's not at fault for the Knicks making those moves. Trading for Jalen Rose and Steve Francis for valuable expiring contracts? What lottery picks did the Knicks benefit from?

'98-'99 Nets pre-Marbury trade: 3-16 (.157) in 19 games.
'98-'99 Nets post-Marbury trade: 13-18 (.419) in 31 games.

A .419 win percentage isn't anything to celebrate, but he still made them better. He played with guys like Jamie Feick, Mark Hendrickson, and Chris Carr in the starting line-up. KVH was dropping high-20's on a nightly basis with Marbury dishing. Did the Nets do ANYTHING to make the team better? In his three seasons there, the only notable "star" was a rookie Kenyon Martin, who was a raw talent with no scoring ability. Marbury was thrown into a garbage pit.

With the Suns, Marbury had Amare, Marion, and Joe Johnson, sure. But Amare and Johnson were rookie/sophomores. The Amare with Steve Nash was nowhere near the Amare with Marbury. The Joe Johnson in Atlanta was not the Joe Johnson in Phoenix. And while Shawn Marion did his thing, it's already been proven that he's not the Scottie Pippen type player he was envisioned to be. When Marbury was traded, the Suns record was exactly the same for the rest of the season. When Nash came, everything fell into place with D'Antoni's system. The Nash argument has been beaten to death already so there's no need to go on.

Name one team Marbury played for that was a legitimate contender. The Nets? That roster was atrocious. The Suns? His best year was with a rookie Amare. The Knicks? No way. The bottom line is that Marbury has never won anything because he's always placed in bad teams. No single player is going to make a garbage team into a winner. Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett are prime examples. KG's only two great seasons were with Cassell/Spree and Ray/Pierce. The Lakers were once a .415 team with Kobe, and with improved teammates, were never a contender until Pau Gasol was brought in and Odom had a career regular season.

No team has ever ATTEMPTED to build around Stephon Marbury. He was brought in to perform miracles, and was blamed when things expectedly went wrong. He still dropped 20 and 8 wherever he went.

As for the Knicks, I only want to see him play only because he's better for D'Antoni. If any of you (and by that, I mean none of you) watched preseason games, Stephon and Nate looked like they were going to beast in D'Antoni's system. Yet Duhon is given 40 minutes a game and Nate isn't given enough. Have some of you WATCHED Chris Duhon with the Knicks? There are times where he looks great playing his role, but like I said in the other Marbury thread, there are times in which D'Antoni lets Duhon penetrate and dish at his own will. I'd rather see Marbury do that because THAT'S MARBURY'S GAME. I don't care about his contract, or the obligation the franchise may have, or the fact that he's from NY...he's flat-out BETTER than Chris Duhon in this system. He's almost unstoppable when he penetrates and dish, and now that he's with a coach who thrives on that, he's not allowed to play.

Stephon Marbury is not why the Knicks are bad. Trading Antonio Davis' and Penny's expiring contracts for Steve Francis and Jalen Rose killed the Knicks. Committing $13 million a season to Jared Jeffries killed the Knicks. Trading away lottery picks for Eddy Curry killed the Knicks. And amidst all this chaos throughout the years, Stephon just wanted to ball. Let him.
That looks to me like the Knicks were attempting to build around him.

May I interject for a second before blood is drawn over Stephon Marbury and DamnToni.

Stephon Marbury is the New York Knicks best player. (Highly Likely)

-He doesn't have an outstanding career reputation as a winner. Neither did his former teammate Kevin Garnett, until last year.
Out of the current Knicks, Stephon has done the most in his past to make the Knicks win games.
I understand wanting to build for the future, but the Knicks don't have their pg of the future on this roster.
In the meantime it would make sense to play the best player on the team, especially if the position that he plays is currently a weakness for the team.
The Knicks do not have an NBA level starting pg in the absence of Stephon Marbury.
He is owed 21 million dollars to play basketball this year.
To keep him on the team in the case of injury is silly, if a lesser player gets injured the Knicks will play their best player.

With all these things assumed, why not either play him or pay him and let him go somewhere else.
The Knicks have been a distraction for the past 5 years and paying the best player on the team to not play will certainly not help this perception. In thegrand scheme of things with a 2010 plan, how do you feel this will look to Lebron, Carmelo, DWade, and other stars?

This can't be allowable under league rules. I remember the comissioner researching whether teams were making the best effort to win games in previousyears. This whole situation just smells foul. The Knicks are attempting to hold Stephon Marbury hostage to not play. This is a bitter move that doesn'treally have much to do with the business of the situation. Unless the Knicks truly believe there is no such thing as bad press, because if Steph files aninjunction with the league, players union or whatever; he almost has to win because he's the best player under contract and wants to play.

are you being sarcastic?

larry brown wanted the injured stevie francis, and zeke got him. the entire jalen rose situation didn't make any sense, and jerries is a bum. when wetraded for curry, the offense ran through him. everyone catered to him for the past two seasons. no one built anything for steph. if anything this team wasbuilt to use houston and steph, and hang on to curry and jamal for the future.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

are you being sarcastic?

larry brown wanted the injured stevie francis, and zeke got him. the entire jalen rose situation didn't make any sense, and jerries is a bum. when we traded for curry, the offense ran through him. everyone catered to him for the past two seasons. no one built anything for steph. if anything this team was built to use houston and steph, and hang on to curry and jamal for the future.
So acquiring role players (Jeffries, Rose, Collins, Hardaway), scorers (Crawford, Francis, Richardson), big men (Curry, Randolph) and high energyplayers (Robinson, Lee, Balkman) aren't your idea of building a team around your point guard? Right. It's your point guard's responsibility to makeit work and there was more than enough talent to make it happen under Marbury's tenure.

Back
Top Bottom