**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

You never win titles like that though. You end up with a good, second round exit team. You need multiple all-NBA players to win titles and I don't see any of our young guys becoming that good. I see them all being good, not great players.
I bet the same thing was said about Golden State too

Not too familiar with the mid-low tier of 1st round talent available.
Who are the players projected to go from 20-30 that we have a legit chance at?

School me family

I'd like us to workout Landry Shamet, Anfernee Simons, and Zhaire Smith. A lot of mocks have us going with Aaron Holiday (if he lasts)...hopefully cavs can lose a couple more!

20180404_221752.jpg

Reactions: God
Back-up PG and Center are our biggest needs. Zubac is looking a little better lately though, hopefully his quality play continues.

I bet the same thing was said about Golden State too

Late 90's Lakers in 1998 had 4 all stars in prime Shaq, young Frobe, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel.

Eddie Jones got dealt away to the Hornets for Glenn Rice, JR Reid, and BJ Armstrong. Part of the reason was they didn't want to pay him a contract extension and Jerry West knew Kobe was coming up. Van Exel was a team cancer and they had a young DFish who they knew would be a role player to the Shaq & Kobe 3peat Laker era.

Bottom line is you can have a bunch of young talent like that era but that does not mean they will make you a championship team without sacrificing some of that young talent.

Late 90's Lakers in 1998 had 4 all stars in prime Shaq, young Frobe, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel.

Eddie Jones got dealt away to the Hornets for Glenn Rice, JR Reid, and BJ Armstrong. Part of the reason was they didn't want to pay him a contract extension and Jerry West knew Kobe was coming up. Van Exel was a team cancer and they had a young DFish who they knew would be a role player to the Shaq & Kobe 3peat Laker era.

Bottom line is you can have a bunch of young talent like that era but that does not mean they will make you a championship team without sacrificing some of that young talent.
Van Exel was a cancer? Could you elaborate, not sure if it's a well known fact, not too keen on those years.

On June 24th, 1998, the Los Angeles Lakers traded guard Nick Van Exel to the Denver Nuggets for center-forward Tony Battie and guard Tyronn Lue.

Van Exel had been the starting point guard for Los Angeles for five seasons. In his time with the Lakers, he averaged 14.9 ppg and 7.3 apg in 378 career games with Los Angeles, and made one All-Star team in 1998.

Tyronn Lue was drafted with the 23rd pick by Denver in the 1998 NBA draft, and Battie averaged 8.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and 1.1 bpg with Denver in his rookie season. He was the fifth pick in the 1997 NBA Draft.

Van Exel had some wonderful times in Los Angeles, especially his performances in the first round of the 1995 playoffs against Seattle where he averaged 29.5 ppg and 5 apg in an upset series.

Eventually, the Lakers built a squad centered around many talented players including Van Exel, Shaquille O'Neal, Eddie Jones and Kobe Bryant. They had four All-Stars in 1998 and won 61 games that same season. Expectations were high in the playoffs, but they faltered in the Western Conference Finals when they were swept by the Utah Jazz. Van Exel took a lot of blame for the Lakers inability to win a game in that series.

Van Exel came under fire when he infamously shouted “Cancun!” instead of the traditional “Lakers!” chant when the Lakers broke the huddle in game 4 (elimination game) of that series. That and his request to play off the bench rather than start rubbed the Lakers the wrong way.

Jerry West was disappointed in how Van Exel’s actions with the Cancun fiasco and he made sure to mention it:

“There’s one particular game where when you watch him, I was let down, I’ll tell you that. I had never heard anything in my life like that. ‘Shocked’ doesn’t begin to describe it."

Here’s Van Exel’s response to the Cancun reference:

"What they don’t understand was Cancun was a little vacation spot that was already (planned). I say things like that all the time … just to keep the guys loose and laughing…. It gets blown out of proportion.”

Van Exel and West also disagreed on Van Exel’s choice to come off of the bench.

Jerry West:

“I don’t know if he gave up on the team, but I just would have preferred him to say, 'I’m the leader on this team, I want to start.’ I think the leader of your team has to be a leader at all times. Sometimes, he seemed not to want that responsibility.”

Nick Van Exel:

“The team was playing well and I didn’t want to mess with a good thing. I guess they didn’t see it that way. They thought I was giving up on the team, which wasn’t true.”

At the time of the trade, Van Exel had one year remaining on a five-year, $10.5 million contract which paid him $1.9 million last season.

After the trade, Van Exel played with Denver for 3 and a half seasons and never made the playoffs with the Nuggets but put up impressive numbers. He averaged 17.6 ppg and 8.3 apg in his time with Denver.

Battie was traded seven months later before the NBA season started, so he never played a game for the Lakers. Lue played three seasons with the Lakers in mop up duty. Lue is most known for being stepped over by Allen Iverson in the 2001 NBA Finals. Lue averaged 4.1 ppg in just 61 games.

Lakers executive vice president Jerry West via AP:

“A change of scenery will be good for everyone. Maybe the same faces are not always good to have together. At times, he did not always look like a happy player for us.”

On Van Exel’s chronic knee soreness
condition:

“Nick’s knees get sore, but it doesn’t prevent him from playing.”

After hearing rumors of Van Exel not reporting to Denver:

“It doesn’t make any difference. He is traded. I don’t think any of us want to be held hostage in a deal. I really like Nick Van Exel a lot. But I just think a change of scenery will be good for everyone… . It’s a lot of things. It’s just a feeling

internally sometimes you get that maybe you say the faces aren’t good together.”

On Tyronn Lue:

“His style will be perfect for us. Lue is one of the best point-guard prospects in the draft.”

On Tony Battie:

“He’s a great shotblocker and he can shoot the ball better than people think.”

Lakers coach Del Harris:

“We probably had three or four problems that many people repeated often enough that the average person thought there were a thousand problems, and that just was not the case. We won a lot of basketball games here the last four years. We wish him well in Denver where he always played tremendously.”

Nuggets general manager Dan Issel via AP:

“We’ve taken a giant step to turn this team around. You have to love his (Van Exel’s) competitiveness. He’s an All-Star point guard we’re going to build this team around.”

On Van Exel’s attitude and personality:

“The report from the Lakers is that he is changed. I haven’t talked to Nick yet, but his agent feels this will be a good change for him.”

Van Exel on his return game to LA seven months after trade (Via Corpus Christi Online):

“I think it was better that I moved on.

This is a better situation for me. I’m not really worried about the Lakers anymore.”

“I asked for a trade a couple years earlier. I was told that if I were to be traded, it would be a place like Vancouver or someplace cold. I knew I wouldn’t be traded to a team that has a chance to win a championship.”

Van Exel on the blame he took in Los Angeles:

“Oh yeah, of course. When it was all said and done, I was the guy who quote-unquote 'gave up on the team’ and didn’t want to win…. The players, they know I would never do that. Jerry West, he knows I would never do that.”

Jerry West before Van Exel’s matchup with Los Angeles:

“It was awkward to trade someone who’s an All-Star player, but I think in the long run it will be better for him and for the Lakers.”

Cavs play Knicks for their last 2 games of the season so they aint losing again. After Portlands recent slump, our pick is 25 or 26 depending on if Sixers win out and finish ahead of Cavs.

Back
Top Bottom