**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

What exactly is the defense here?

Not sure if it was you or someone else that made the original claim that Jeanie IS THE WORST OWNER IN ALL OF SPORTS… which isnt the same thing as calling out Buss for her decision making, it’s making an extreme claim. So I asked why? And then yall moved the goalposts… to now Jeanie IS THE WORST OWNER IN THE NBA. Okay cool, so tell me why? Again, goalpost moved to well she’s ONE OF THE WORST. Fine, compared to her peers what makes her THAT bad? Now we’re to the point where you’re asking me why am I defending and debating this…

IDK, maybe aome of yall are just emotional and be saying anything. If I don’t agree I might just ask you what makes you say that? I hate DLo, I’m not going to say man he’s the worst starting PG in the league…because how do you even validate that statement? But what I can do is point out what I don’t like about him, and even who’d I rather have in here in his place. I get it though, we can’t really be reasonable on here everything is always to the extreme.

I wasn't the worst in all of sports, I was the one that said there's a lot of sports and teams. :lol:

I don't care one way or another if she ranked 30th or 1st, you were asking the questions, I was answering. I said I was havin a hard time pulling her from 30th, and you pointed to Orlando and I said ok, I won't argue, 29th it is. If you have other owners you want to break down, I am listening to it. But clearly, you defending her for some reason (even searching out Orlando's owner to make your case, no?)

And I'm not emotional about them at all, I BEEN SAYING it for several weeks now. Well before this issue with Hurley. Hell, I spoke on the overall health of the Lakers franchise itself since the 2010 season and I pointed out it's not good. And I am fully aware and acknowledging not all of that was her. But since she has taken over, other than Magic landing Bron (which to Ska's point, was happening with or without Magic/Jeanie/Rob, Bron was coming to LA) not much else has gone right for us, and we seem to make it worse by hiring/firing coach after coach but doing nothing about Kobe's agent. Would Rob even have a job with the any of the other 29 franchises? I dunno to be honest. Maybe he would, I don't know his rep league wide.

Business wise, Jeanie seems to be fine. Probably better than fine. But Jerry Jones is great business wise. How that workin out for Cowboy fans? (Sorry E, not intentional, just an example)

Yea CPs top 5 owners list was funny to me.

Isn’t Ballmer about to max out his second aging star that’s always injured. The same thing CP kills Rob Pelinka and Jeanie for. Ballmer took over the Clippers the same time Jeanie took over the Lakers. She has a championship during that time. They kill Jeanie/Rob over Lue. Guess what, Clippers got him and what do they have to show for it? lol All those billions and what? They getting a shiny new arena. Good for them.

He took Kawhi from us with that money, didn't he? He pulled Lue from us, didn't he? His pockets over time gonna be quite helpful. Will it work out for him in the long run? I hope to God not.
But he's putting every penny he has into his franchise and has an actual GM. Not Kobe's agent. And then the new stadium.

We used to think Cuban wouldn't be able to make it work when he bought the Mavs and he eventually did. I hope Ballmer fails miserably, but what I've seen the last few years, I'm not so sure he's going to. :frown:

GS just had a dynasty with an agent turned GM. Rob's reputation around the league doesn't endear him to being liked by the others but dude is pretty bright. There have been clear pivots to certain situations where he wanted to go one direction but at the behest of his stars input went another. But his personnel moves overall have been much more positive than negative. It's not really in his control so much too how much they'll offer a coach, that's on Jeanie and even going back to Dr. Buss they've been notoriously frugal on coaches not named Phil or Pat.

I don't care one way or another if she ranked 30th or 1st, you were asking the questions, I was answering. I said I was havin a hard time pulling her from 30th, and you pointed to Orlando and I said ok, I won't argue, 29th it is. If you have other owners you want to break down, I am listening to it. But clearly, you defending her for some reason (even searching out Orlando's owner to make your case, no?)
I knew Devos before this conversation but I added the screenshots for context.

You don’t care where she ranks so why rank her? 😂 I mean making up some arbitrary number - okay not the next but she must be 29th… so why that low then? I’m not sure anyone even knows all that much about the other 29 owners but yeah she must be at the very bottom based on her actions but not taking into consideration the actions of the others seems strange to me.

Again, I’m not saying Jeanie is the best she’s gotta be top 5 DOA… like I find it funny that people think it’s possible to even rank owners. Ballmer is rich but hasn’t won. Ishbia is rich but seems to be well on his way of running the Suns into the ground… is he somehow better than Buss on this owner ranking tier.

Cmon man… this is getting ridiculous

GS just had a dynasty with an agent turned GM. Rob's reputation around the league doesn't endear him to being liked by the others but dude is pretty bright. There have been clear pivots to certain situations where he wanted to go one direction but at the behest of his stars input went another. But his personnel moves overall have been much more positive than negative. It's not really in his control so much too how much they'll offer a coach, that's on Jeanie and even going back to Dr. Buss they've been notoriously frugal on coaches not named Phil or Pat.

GS also had a GM turned head coach too.

It's not in Rob's control the roster cuz his stars, it's not in his control how much we pay the coach, I assume we'll say Caruso wasn't his control.......what does he control? :nerd:

Am I to understand that the owner, GM, and coach with LA are not in lock step, like the owner, GM, and coach are in lock step in GS?

So we turn to a college coach, maybe a podcaster, maybe someone else, with about 2+ weeks before the draft and free agency? That coach gotta feel good about takin this job.....

Back when there was some what harmony in the Laker thread...

One of my biggest regrets in life that I missed this game one of my good friends' dad had season tix to the Magic and I got invited to go to Game 4 but had a damn organic chem final early the next morning to take.

I knew Devos before this conversation but I added the screenshots for context.

You don’t care where she ranks so why rank her? 😂 I mean making up some arbitrary number - okay not the next but she must be 29th… so why that low then? I’m not sure anyone even knows all that much about the other 29 owners but yeah she must be at the very bottom based on her actions but not taking into consideration the actions of the others seems strange to me.

Again, I’m not saying Jeanie is the best she’s gotta be top 5 DOA… like I find it funny that people think it’s possible to even rank owners. Ballmer is rich but hasn’t won. Ishbia is rich but seems to be well on his way of running the Suns into the ground… is he somehow better than Buss on this owner ranking tier.

Cmon man… this is getting ridiculous

It's kinda similar to ranking Darvin Ham as the worst coach in the NBA, no? We read that all year in here. :lol:

I'm not posting this as an endorsement of Jeanie specially, but I don't really feel like being a rich owner really gives you a huge advantage in a salary cap driven sport... sure it probably helps, but it also helps a hell of a lot more to have one of the best players in the league while still in their prime (See Dan Gilbert - LBJ, Kroenke - Joker, Arison - LBJ/Wade, Haslam - Giannis)

Having money definitely helps around the margins. Not as concerned about going into tax, repeater tax, etc and of course with hiring keeping the best coaches. Roster wise though, the new CBA is putting even more constraints on spending and even just retaining your home grown players should they develop into superstars.

multiple people (not only me anymore) callin out Jeanie (and Rob), then there's this swell to rush to her defense, why? Because she's the Laker owner she gotta be defended????
No claim is above critique; NO claim.
On the claim that she sucks, why defend her? Why oppose the claim?
Because that's how intellectual debate works.
(And I'm one of the ones calling her out.)

Interesting that these people never post anything after the 2020 season when they do this...

2020 was the last time we were above the 7th seed.....

I honestly don’t think it has anything to do with money. Everybody is ruled by the cap. And I don’t think Jeanie has a prob going into the tax if it was a championship team on a championship run (if people bring up that stupid 2020 team I’m going to scream).

It seems like ever since Dr. Buss died there has been a lack of leadership and direction. For being exalted as such a great business woman it seems like she makes decisions emotionally.
You can tell by the team she decides to put around her. And constant swing decisions.

Since 2000:

Lakers been to finals 8 times (THE MOST in the NBA BTW)

GSW 7 times

San Antonio 5 times

Boston 4 times.

We're fine.

Some of y'all expect to be in the finals every damn year.

We are still head and shoulders above most teams in the league when it comes to winning.

WTH are yall CRYING about?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Hey look guys, some of yall can be mad at me if ya want just because I don’t share the same extreme views but I admitted last night that I don’t even know all that much about the other owners around the league… so I spent part of this afternoon looking it up.

We know Dolan is horrible, I posted about the Devos fam… check it out, even some of the guys that have been mentioned as great owners have a shaky track record

Cuban
1718153119069.png

Joe Tsai
1718153185236.png

Glen Taylor
1718153242097.png

I can post more, do this all night but hopefully I think that you guys get the point… I feel Jeanie has made some questionable decisions, but it sure feels like things could be a whole lot worse if I were a fan of some of these other franchises led by those owners.

Attachments

• 1718151618814.png
    1718151618814.png
    553.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1718151764714.png
    1718151764714.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1718152029019.png
    1718152029019.png
    505.4 KB · Views: 11
Since 1990:

Lakers been to finals 9 times.

GSW 7 times

San Antonio 5 times

Boston 4 times.

We're fine.

Some of y'all expect to be in the finals every damn year.

We are still head and shoulders above most teams in the league when it comes to winning.

maxresdefault.jpg
I’ve been on defense for the last 24 hours because I pushed back against some posts saying we have the worst owner in all of sports or at least the league

We...
... are not supposed to be them.
It will be a long time before SAS & GSW are Finals competitive again.
BOS is currently in the Finals, up 2-0.
Us getting back to that seems a distant future. We seem to be more in line with a GSW & SAS trajectory.

How? 😂 You're telling me that where we stand right now, we have more in common with Boston than we do GSW & SAS?
Again + 2 for dramatics

you're acting like we don't have 2 of the top 10 players in the league right now and didn't loose in the playoffs to the defending champs the past 2 years (WCF year prior).

You talking about this team as if it has no all stars and no recent playoff appearances.

relax bud, we cant be the very best team every single year.

We're fine.

Back
Top Bottom