LeBron says he won't hesitate to leave Cavs in 2010 if offer is right

Story Highlights

LeBron James has two years left on a five-year contract extension with the Cavs

Several teams, including the Nets and Knicks are clearing space to ink James

Decrease font Decrease font

Enlarge font Enlarge font

NBA Team Page

ADVERTISEMENT

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- While his free agency is still two years away, LeBron James won't hestiate to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers if another
franchise offers the superstar a better chance to win multiple NBA titles.

"I think you do what is best for you and you do what is best for your career," James said Tuesday night when asked about his sense of loyalty to
the Cavaliers before they played the Nets in New Jersey.

"...I go out and I play hard and that's loyalty," James added. "It's hard because it's a business. (The) franchise is going to do
what is best for the player, it always comes back on us. I am going to look bad. If a franchise decides to give up on a player, it's OK. So we have to do
what is best for us."

James has two years left on a five-year contract extension he signed in 2006. But with several teams, including New Jersey and the New York Knicks,
attempting to clear out salary-cap space for a star-studded free agent class in 2010, there is speculation James will continue his career outside Cleveland.

Before Tuesday night's game at the Izod Center, James was surrounded by about 20 members of the media and the first question dealt with his upcoming free
agency.

While it has been hard avoiding all the reports on his free agency, the 23-year-old James said he is paying attention to the here and now.

"I am focused on the team that I am on right now and winning a championship," he said. "So it gets funny at times, but I don't think about
making a change at this point. I am focusing on the team I have here and the relationship I have with the Cavs."

At an early-voter registration rally last month in Cleveland, James made his strongest comments to date about wanting to stay in his home state.

"I love you Cleveland," he said. "I love Ohio and I'm not going anywhere."

James said he is satisfied with the moves the Cavaliers have made this past off-season, acquiring guard Mo Williams in a trade with Milwaukee and feels
Cleveland can make another run at a title.

"I am from there," he said. "Home is home for me. you know that's what I was referring to at that time. No matter where you go or if you
ever move somewhere else it doesn't matter, home is always going to be home and that's what I was basically letting them know."

Cleveland fans are worried about losing James after seeing free agents like Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome bolt the Indians for huge contracts the home team
couldn't match.

James said winning a title will be the most important thing for him in free agency.

"Absolutely," he said. "When I decide to make that decision, you know, it is basically to put me in a position where I feel like I can win
multiple championships. If it's staying here, then I will be here. If it's moving elsewhere, then I will have to look at all my options."

Heading into the Tuesday night's game, the Cavaliers were the NBA's hottest team, having won seven in a row.

"I think we have made strides since I have been here," James said. "We have gotten better every year and I think this year is probably the
best team we've had since I have been here. You got to see how the season plays out. Just because you have a different team, with different players,
doesn't automatically guarantee you a championship. I have to be smart about things and be patient."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

small_feature.jpg

Cleveland booed him for holding the ball to close the game instead of scoring the 100th point for a free taco.
laugh.gif

They're asking for it.

Anyone else getting a little annoyed at this speculation two years out? I mean, I know it's going to be a big FA year, but...it's still two years out.
laugh.gif

If the organization isn't doing their part to build a championship team around him then he should entertain every offer he can.

[h2]Vaccaro: LBJWon't Play In New Jersey For $200M[/h2]
James_LeBron_cle_081024b.jpg

Nov 18, 2008 10:59 AM EST

njn_40.gif
Sonny Vaccaro, a former shoe executive who is as well connected as anyone in the game of basketball, believes LeBron James will end up with theKnicks in 2010.

The Nets were once believed to be the favorites to land James, but with their Brooklyn arena project stalled, theclub looks like they will be stuck in New Jersey.

"LeBron's relationship with Jay-Z will go on regardless," Vaccaro said. "He'll be an international celebrity inNew York. If the Nets aren't in Brooklyn, he's not going over there for even $200 million. They're putting pieces together. They're doing theright things. They're just living in the wrong building."

Vaccaro believes James will depart Cleveland regardless of what they do to try to keep him.

"LeBron is this generation's personality," said Vaccaro, not one to shy away from hyperbole. "Eventhough Cleveland has done everything right, you don't get to Mount Rushmore from Cleveland. He has to go to New York or Los Angeles. There's noquestion. The money will be available anywhere. But this is about his persona."

Via New York Times

New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks, Cleveland Cavaliers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

Damn.....

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

Cleveland booed him for holding the ball to close the game instead of scoring the 100th point for a free taco.
laugh.gif

They're asking for it.
roll.gif

Ruthless.

That said, I'd be booing too.
laugh.gif

I have no respect for Lebron. He is a primadona. What happened to carrying your city on your back and winning a ring the right way? Why the %$$@ do peopleworry about money when they already have enough money to buy a 3rd world country is beyond me.

Bron Bron obviously loves the spotlight... and seems to love New York City (and the Yankees
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
)
It's a match waiting to happen.
There is no bigger stage then New York City.

On a side note.... a Knicks Lebron jersey?!
That joint will fly off the racks with the quickness & I'll be in for one too
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I have no respect for Lebron. He is a primadona. What happened to carrying your city on your back and winning a ring the right way? Why the %$$@ do people worry about money when they already have enough money to buy a 3rd world country is beyond me.
He did the best he could, I mean he practically carried the team to the Finals on his own with a little help from Boobie. The Cavs are doing verylittle to build a championship team around Bron Bron; Ben Wallace, Szerbiak, and Mo Williams aren't going to cut it. If Cleveland doesn't get on thegrind and doesn't bring in at least one All-Star to help King James then he's as good as gone.

Wow.

It's still 2008, and I'm already getting sick of this crap.
laugh.gif

Do I believe he'll bounce in '10? Yes, I do.

Am I getting sick of every-damn-body talking about it? Yes, definitely.
laugh.gif

The '09-'10 season... particularly after the All Star break... is going to be outrageous.
roll.gif
We might have to just make a separate forum.We'll have 'Nike' and 'General' and 'Sneaker Art' and 'Sports and Training'... and 'LeBron James: Free Agent'.
roll.gif
laugh.gif

Bron in NY is a good thing.

LA has had big stars for the past 10 years in Shaq and Kobe.

NY needs somebody like Bron.

Anything that makes the Knicks better is good for the NBA.

Sucks for Cavs fans but I think there is no way Bron stays.

Originally Posted by BMW 7 series

Originally Posted by tupac003

Sucks for Cavs fans but I think there is no way Bron stays.
Only if they win a championship between now and when he becomes a FA.

You right...

I think their best shot to do that is 2010. The C's got the east this year IMO.

lol dont feel bad at all for cav fans.. ... they boo the guy for not liking the indians and boo him because they won a game and dint score one more basket tooget a taco.. i mean they are pretty selfish if you ask me..

Back
Top Bottom