Let's re-visit the NBA dresscode

I think the individual teams should implement it. I know we're talking about the NBA, but don't the Yankees have a certain dress code? I know we told Jose Reyes to cut his dreads before he signed.

Of course there's a racial element...it's a wholesale change made in a predominately black league. Players went from dressing how they essentially wanted, to having to adhere to a new set of rules.

Let me ask DK....you called out black people who agreed with the code, and I do think your stance is a tad bit harsh...but, how do you feel about players in the league who have EMBRACED dressing better?

On one hand, you got people all over NT who repeatedly preach "we've got to do better." This is usually on the heels of foolery we see on WSHH, the news etc...however, when a league-wide change is made in the dress of their athletes, it's a problem. Guys ARE doing better.

Just my .02

I see where a lot of you are coming from and there is a double-standard as far as how guys like Cuban dress for games. If Stern made this change, he should have had it also trickle down to the owners as well.

I think the individual teams should implement it. I know we're talking about the NBA, but don't the Yankees have a certain dress code? I know we told Jose Reyes to cut his dreads before he signed.

That too. 

Yankees have a policy on facial hair and jewelry.  And you're right about Reyes...

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

how do you feel about players in the league who have EMBRACED dressing better?
....'dressing better' is up to perception.

On one hand, you got people all over NT who repeatedly preach "we've got to do better." This is usually on the heels of foolery we see on WSHH, the news etc...however, when a league-wide change is made in the dress of their athletes, it's a problem. Guys ARE doing better.
.....thats just it though, what is your barometer for the measuring of players 'doing better' now vs. then? arent players still getting in trouble?

.....its just like when clubs think a dress code will magically make people behave
laugh.gif

I see where a lot of you are coming from and there is a double-standard as far as how guys like Cuban dress for games. If Stern made this change, he should have had it also trickle down to the owners as well.

laugh.gif
 @ trickle down.

....if this is the new company policy, there is no 'trickle down'. thats just how it is from now on for EVERYONE right?

...the question is, if this is the new company policy why isnt it enforced on the owners like it is on the players?

...here's the thing though. companies do biased things like this all the time. the way to cover your bs excuse is to make it apply to everyone as to not appear as if you're targeting one group of people. im surprised no one caught on to the Cuban angle years ago.

....the Cuban angle proves that it has nothing to do with being a professional....AT ALL.

...so what does that say about the black folks trying to make the professionalism argument on behalf of the League? hmm....

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

how do you feel about players in the league who have EMBRACED dressing better?
....'dressing better' is up to perception.

.....thats just it though, what is your barometer for the measuring of players 'doing better' now vs. then? arent players still getting in trouble?

.....its just like when clubs think a dress code will magically make people behave
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 @ trickle down.

....if this is the new company policy, there is no 'trickle down'. thats just how it is from now on for EVERYONE right?

...the question is, if this is the new company policy why isnt it enforced on the owners like it is on the players?

...here's the thing though. companies do biased things like this all the time. the way to cover your bs excuse is to make it apply to everyone as to not appear as if you're targeting one group of people. im surprised no one caught on to the Cuban angle years ago.

You raise a lot of vaild points.  And honestly, I never thought about the way Cuban dressed until this thread.  Seems to me it's something that should have been addressed a long time ago and I wonder if it's actually been brought to STern's attention? 

"Doing better" is broad and I should have clarified...I should have just grouped it under the "embracing the dress code" umbrella, because that's what a lot of guys have done.  They take pride in the way they look.  No matter what people may think, these athletes ARE looked up to by many.  More specifically, young kids.  Granted it's something that they did on-court, but in my life, I don't own a pair of white socks because of the Fab-5.  This is the reach that athletes have.  Seeing guys like Melo, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Kobe, etc. showing out with the way they dress might make a lasting impression on someone out there.  You just never know WHO is watching or who's life it will impact. 

Of course there's a racial element...it's a wholesale change made in a predominately black league.

DoubleJ's, this is pretty much what I was trying to get you and others folks to admit if not done so already, and not just black folks on here either.  If people want to agree or adhere to the dresscode that's fine, but let's also acknowledge the ACUTAL reason behind the dresscode and stop with all this talk about "professionalism" and whatnot, it's just a tired excuse and a way to try to cover up the truth.

Let me ask DK....you called out black people who agreed with the code, and I do think your stance is a tad bit harsh...but, how do you feel about players in the league who have EMBRACED dressing better?

My fault, I meant/should have said anyone that doesn't see the real meaning behind the dresscode instead of saying anyone that agrees with the dresscode because that would be two seperate things.  I have no issue with the players that want to or don't mind wearing a suit or "dressing up" per se as I don't see anything wrong with that if that's what they desire to do.  Also, when you work for a business or company sometimes you do have to adhere to certain rules and policies so I understand that point.  From the outside looking in it does appear that many players have EMBRACED the new dresscode which is cool if that's how they really feel.  I just wish more black players that have some sort of self-awareness about themselves at the time would have spoken up more against the underlying meaning behind the dresscode when it was implemented.       

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Of course there's a racial element...it's a wholesale change made in a predominately black league.

DoubleJ's, this is pretty much what I was trying to get you and others folks to admit if not done so already, and not just black folks on here either.  If people want to agree or adhere to the dresscode that's fine, but let's also acknowledge the ACUTAL reason behind the dresscode and stop with all this talk about "professionalism" and whatnot, it's just a tired excuse and a way to try to cover up the truth.

My fault, I meant/should have said anyone that doesn't see the real meaning behind the dresscode instead of saying anyone that agrees with the dresscode because that would be two seperate things.  I have no issue with the players that want to or don't mind wearing a suit or "dressing up" per se as I don't see anything wrong with that if that's what they desire to do.  Also, when you work for a business or company sometimes you do have to adhere to certain rules and policies so I understand that point.  From the outside looking in it does appear that many players have EMBRACED the new dresscode which is cool if that's how they really feel.  I just wish more black players that have some sort of self-awareness about themselves at the time would have spoken up more against the underlying meaning behind the dresscode when it was implemented.       

Understood. 

And trust me...this Cuban thing is an eye-opener to me.  As many times as I've seen him around the Mavs bench (I always thought he looked sloppy), I never once thought that it's weird that he's not abiding by the dress-code set forth by the league. 

Makes no sense, and yea....big time double-standard. 

"Doing better" is broad and I should have clarified...I should have just grouped it under the "embracing the dress code" umbrella, because that's what a lot of guys have done.  They take pride in the way they look.  No matter what people may think, these athletes ARE looked up to by many.  More specifically, young kids.  Granted it's something that they did on-court, but in my life, I don't own a pair of white socks because of the Fab-5.  This is the reach that athletes have.  Seeing guys like Melo, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Kobe, etc. showing out with the way they dress might make a lasting impression on someone out there.  You just never know WHO is watching or who's life it will impact. 

.....i cant stress enough how lame the thought of 'taking pride in how you look' has ALWAYS sounded to me.

.....i have never measured success by how someone dresses.

.....never attached successful as a title on someone off of their dress.

.....and i look down on others that do. why? bruh, im 33 years old and have seen many of people both successful and non-successful on BOTH SIDES of the dress spectrum and it has NEVER amounted to anything......AT ALL.

...to me? taking pride in how you look is more about cleanliness and being comfortable waaaaaaay more than a male or female in business attire.

...to me? ive seen far too many people bs their way by through life and business because people were too caught up in how they dressed than actually paying attention to their quality of work.

...while us black folks are busy trying to 'dress the part', trying to fit in. they wear whatever the #%+* they want and we'll never get to where they are if its up the them. like a donkey chasing a carrot.

7 years ago is a while. Anyone else think that dressing "better and more professional" trended after the dress code? Baggy pants aren't very popular anymore either. Not saying there was a direct relation, but possibly an association.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

7 years ago is a while. Anyone else think that dressing "better and more professional" trended after the dress code? Baggy pants aren't very popular anymore either. Not saying there was a direct relation, but possibly an association.

No times changed in urban fashion.  Thats all it is because these dudes aren't fashion trend setters.  I think the Heat guys, CP3, Melo, Amare etc. dress better because they are older now also.  Its just a different time now. 

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

.....i cant stress enough how lame the thought of 'taking pride in how you look' has ALWAYS sounded to me.

.....i have never measured success by how someone dresses.

.....never attached successful as a title on someone off of their dress.

.....and i look down on others that do. why? bruh, im 33 years old and have seen many of people both successful and non-successful on BOTH SIDES of the dress spectrum and it has NEVER amounted to anything......AT ALL.

...to me? taking pride in how you look is more about cleanliness and being comfortable waaaaaaay more than a male or female in business attire.

...to me? ive seen far too many people bs their way by through life and business because people were too caught up in how they dressed than actually paying attention to their quality of work.

...while us black folks are busy trying to 'dress the part', trying to fit in. they wear whatever the #%+* they want and we'll never get to where they are if its up the them. like a donkey chasing a carrot.

I guess I was raised differently, because it was always stressed to me about taking pride in your appearance.  This goes from the way you dress to hygene.  Of course there's a time and place for everything, so while I do enjoy dressing well (by my standards), I do also enjoy just kicking it in some b-ball shorts and a t-shirt. 

But this isn't about me.  I'm not representing a global brand of basketball that goes further than what you see on the court.  Like it or not, their appearance DOES count.  It doesn't make things 100% right, but that's society.  It's sad, but in many instances...you do judge a book by it's cover.  Again, it doesn't make things right...but it's society. 

I think the Heat guys, CP3, Melo, Amare etc. dress better because they are older now also.  Its just a different time now.  

Two great points, TGB....

1)  Maturation

2)  It's a different time now.  

I've seen a lot of people get on and clown AI for staying true to who he is (37 years old w. braids and baggy clothes), but totally get on others for trying to dress better. 

[Marlo] You want it to be one way....but it's the other way [/Marlo]

That quote stands true for folks on BOTH sides of the argument.  There is no right/wrong answer, IMO. 

I'm black im all for it.

The way some of these grown men were dressing to work was embarrassing.

Kids look up to you, show some professionalism and class.

Originally Posted by SpaceLemonkush

Originally Posted by kc24688

The same dudes that are wearing baggy jeans are the same people that have friends that are drug dealers more often than not.

what_the.gif

Top 5 dumbest, most idiotic, borderline racist things I ever seen on here
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

show some professionalism and class.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

People are so damn conditioned and trained to think like robots it's sad

Originally Posted by Mister Negative

Originally Posted by SpaceLemonkush

Originally Posted by kc24688

The same dudes that are wearing baggy jeans are the same people that have friends that are drug dealers more often than not.

what_the.gif

Top 5 dumbest, most idiotic, borderline racist things I ever seen on here
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
Dudes show their true colors during race threads...I swear.

Son literally just said people who wear baggy jeans associate with drug dealers more often than not
roll.gif

Wow.

Pretty much agree with DoubleJs and his line of thinking. And why is it robot thinking to have that feeling Dior? While I'm sure some throw it out there due to just hearing it, perhaps others have thought it out and still come to that conclusion. Hard to pass judgement on one's opinions

ThrowedInDaGame wrote
Kids look up to you, show some professionalism and class.
i've never understood this logic. i never will.

"class" and professionalism is how you act, not what you wear. i understand there is a time and place for certain attire because of norms, but what you wear to a game doesn't matter.

lebron was considered "classless" for The Decision and wasn't because he had on sweat pants

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Pretty much agree with DoubleJs and his line of thinking. And why is it robot thinking to have that feeling Dior? While I'm sure some throw it out there due to just hearing it, perhaps others have thought it out and still come to that conclusion. Hard to pass judgement on one's opinions
Because it's a cliche statement. It's been refuted by myself and others in this thread pointing out the BLATANT double standards...yet people still keep coming in here with the "professionalism" argument.

Mark Cuban dressed like he's headed to the bar after games...nobody seems to care about that. But it's the players who were dressing like they "know drug dealers" and they're the ones who needed  to show "professionalism" since they're in the "business world".

Think for yourselves and not under social constructs.

Class and professionalism are different concepts and shouldn't always be grouped together

And Cuban should abide by the code IMO

Was for it then, and still am for it now.

Glad it was enforced, the NBA is still a business and wants it players representing their business in a professional manner. They cut the checks and have every right to enforce certain attire.

.....with the exception of Tim Duncan, everyone looks professional and sharp going to and from a game.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

show some professionalism and class.

"Professionalism and class"??  We're talking about a bunch of guys that wear shorts, gym shoes, sometimes a clear face mask and sweat profusely while at "work".  Stop it with all this professionalism and class talk. 

its not that big of a deal.

hell we all had to do it in high school on game day, it wasn't that bad. its not too much to ask players to dress up when they have to goto the podium for an interview, pregrame or postgame.

Props to David Stern for implementing the dress code. He realized how much of an icon "Jewelz" a.k.a. Allen Iverson was to the young black male.

Props to Jay-Z for introducing the "Button Up" phase to combat adults from wearing too-tall white tees. #&@* was out of line. I was one of them; I look back like "I couldn't have been serious." lol.

Most of these NBA players are million/thousandare kids themselves w/o any collegiate/professionalism. Props to the classes they had Derrick Rose take....his rookie year dude was straight off the block in those interviews.

Originally Posted by DuRag27

Props to David Stern for implementing the dress code. He realized how much of an icon "Jewelz" a.k.a. Allen Iverson was to the young black male.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Wow.

Thank you David Stern...for helping to re-inforce positive black male images for our black youth.

Modern day Civil Rights leader...

Back
Top Bottom