Mark Teixeira Close To Making a Decision...

Originally Posted by JordanXI2001

i love the Nationals naysayers. keep acting like we're not a franchise on the rise.

and what do you not understand about Tex wanting to come home and play in front of all of his family, friends, and hometown fans?
Calm down guy. You lost 20 games more last year than you did the year before. And With the Mets stacking this year it will be another year ofthe Mets and Phillies fighting for the division while the Nationals fight to get 60 wins. With or without Tex. I dont think he will take the same money asBoston or the Angels are offering just to play for a team that is terrible. And in Boston he will play plenty of games in Orioles park as well as being able toplay in October. So as I see it, its between us and the Angels. And maybe the Yankees if they decide to throw their hat into the ring.

Tex would ruin his career if he went to the Nats.
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with signing with someone who isn't exactly playoff material right now. Maybe be mediocre for a season orso, but still building with youth and talent. Wash has NONE of that.

I also love how some of these Wash. post idiots are determined to somehow make the nationals his "hometown team." Yeah, because Severna Park is muchcloser to DC than Baltimore. Please.

I know we're supposed to be out of contention, but I'm really hoping the O's get him.

Originally Posted by JordanXI2001

i love the Nationals naysayers. keep acting like we're not a franchise on the rise.

and what do you not understand about Tex wanting to come home and play in front of all of his family, friends, and hometown fans?
Tex turned down the Orioles and is from Maryland...

If he doesn't come to the Yanks (which I could care less, I want Manny), I hope he goes to ANY team but the Sox.

Are people really calling him overrated? The guy is a top caliber player at the plate AND in the field. What more do you want him to do?

[h1]Mark Teixeira Rumors: Thursday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 18 at 8:55am CST]

Yesterday's Mark Teixeira post focused on theOrioles - they seem to be falling behind, though Andy MacPhail said there's flexibility with their offer.

We learned today from Kat O'Brien of Newsday today that theYankees have not made an offer to Teixeira, and may not if the bidding gets too high.

Nick Cafardo's been talkingto a GM involved in the bidding, and that person says the Red Sox have the highest offer on the table. The offer could be eight years at the highest averageannual salary. Sean McAdam says the Red Sox havetheir own ceiling and won't get into a bidding war. He adds that there's no backup plan for Boston - "it's Teixeira or bust."

^
frown.gif

Originally Posted by the PGA tour

Are people really calling him overrated? The guy is a top caliber player at the plate AND in the field. What more do you want him to do?
Thats just people who are not in contention to scoop him up. Any realistic baseball fan knows the man is going to get you 100+ RBIs and 30+ HRsfor the foreseeable future. He is still young and with the right protection he will put up beast numbers. While he was with the Angels they had protection forhim and pitchers had to pitch to him. And if some of those other guys would have hit against Bos in the playoffs they could have made a series out of it buthe was the only one producing.

For 20 million a year, yes he'd be overrated.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

exactly. tex is pretty damn good a player, no doubt. but he's not worth the contract he's going to get. it's not like he's 22 or23 either.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Yup... He's not Albert Pujols... He's not Barry Bonds in his prime... He's not Alex Rodriguez or Johan Santana...

For my money, there's only a very select few that are worth that kinda dough... And Mark Teixeira ain't one of em...

Go back and look at Jason Giambi in his prime... Teixeira's bat isn't even as good as his was...

Originally Posted by CP1708

^
Giambi had a little help.
nerd.gif

Jus sayin
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Irrelevant... He's been mashing 30+ homers every year since all that came out anyways, so...

I mean, look at Giambi's two peak years though... OBP in the high .470s with 130 walks both years?
eek.gif
People don't fear Mark Teixeira like that...

At the mercy of sounding like im hating on the Yankees. They are the reason players get overpaid. Granted other teams have gone this route recently but it wasthe Yankees who started overpaying, and now other teams start high because they are scared that the Yankees can swoop in at anytime and just pick whoever theywant. Prices will continue to soar until MLB puts a salary cap on it. Because it will only get worse when say Puljos is a free agent. Because Tex is gonna cashin Puljos who is better will Get an astronomical amount for his contract. It is starting to get ridiculous but the MLB is at fault as well for letting it getthis out of hand.

Mark Teixeira is still an elite hitter in this league and when you don't have one he probably is worth 20 million especially when their aren't manyother options in this free agent pool.

1:59pm: SI.com's Jon Heymanon rumored offers for Tex:

One source said he believed that Boston was in for close to $180 million over eight years and the Angels in for about the same. The Natsmay be as high, or even higher than that. Some suggest they have either hit the $200 million mark, or gotten very close. Or that someone elsehas.

Heyman expects Teixeira to sign next week, and agrees that the Red Sox are the favorites. He provides odds of each bidding team signingTeixeira.

these damn baseball numbers are ridiculous-

not just the players but the team revenues in general....i know for damn sure my son will be getting a bat as his first toy...and yes i will be one of"those" fathers
laugh.gif

playstation? boy get your %*% outside and practice...

Originally Posted by Kingtre

not just the players but the team revenues in general....i know for damn sure my son will be getting a bat as his first toy...and yes i will be one of "those" fathers
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
Tough love. I'm with you Tre.

Originally Posted by SingleDigitJsOnly

Tex would ruin his career if he went to the Nats.
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with signing with someone who isn't exactly playoff material right now. Maybe be mediocre for a season or so, but still building with youth and talent. Wash has NONE of that.

I also love how some of these Wash. post idiots are determined to somehow make the nationals his "hometown team." Yeah, because Severna Park is much closer to DC than Baltimore. Please.

I know we're supposed to be out of contention, but I'm really hoping the O's get him.

i love this reply.

none of that? Nationals system > Orioles system. the Nationals are stocked with studs and have made immense improvements- currently ranked 9th in all ofbaseball.

idiots? ya, Tex' hometown is closer to Baltimore but what's a few more miles? he'd still be considered a hometown hero in DC.

really hope the O's get him? it's already been reported they are out of the running. sorry.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

At the mercy of sounding like im hating on the Yankees. They are the reason players get overpaid. Granted other teams have gone this route recently but it was the Yankees who started overpaying, and now other teams start high because they are scared that the Yankees can swoop in at anytime and just pick whoever they want. Prices will continue to soar until MLB puts a salary cap on it. Because it will only get worse when say Puljos is a free agent. Because Tex is gonna cash in Puljos who is better will Get an astronomical amount for his contract. It is starting to get ridiculous but the MLB is at fault as well for letting it get this out of hand.

No. The Rangers gave Alex Rodriguez that contract. The Giants gave Zito his contract. Dumb teams are the reason for high contracts, the Yankees are the teamthat can afford that.

none of that? Nationals system > Orioles system. the Nationals are stocked with studs and have made immense improvements- currently ranked 9th in all of baseball.
laugh.gif
I thought I already addressed this and disproved that a week ago...

You posted an article from a year and a half ago saying they were the 9th ranked system in baseball...
laugh.gif
I posted an article from a month ago that saidtheir farm system flat out wasn't very good... Same article said they have a couple of potential headliners and a bunch of crap, and even the'headline' type prospects had serious question marks...

Nick Markakis > anybody playing for the Nationals right now... Matt Weiters and Chris Tillman > any prospect the Nationals have...

It'd be an absolute joke for Teixeira to sign with either of them, IMO... But I dealt with the guy whining and complaining about wanting to win for howevermany years he was here, so...

Even if either of those teams sign him, they're still at best the 4th best team in their own divisions...

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Originally Posted by Kingtre

not just the players but the team revenues in general....i know for damn sure my son will be getting a bat as his first toy...and yes i will be one of "those" fathers
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
Tough love. I'm with you Tre.
laugh.gif
When and if I do have a boy when I am older, I am goingto get my son involved with sports early on. I am going to push for baseball, but if I see he reacts to a football better than a glove and bat, I'll be onmy way to Modells to pick up a helmet and pads
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

At the mercy of sounding like im hating on the Yankees. They are the reason players get overpaid. Granted other teams have gone this route recently but it was the Yankees who started overpaying, and now other teams start high because they are scared that the Yankees can swoop in at anytime and just pick whoever they want. Prices will continue to soar until MLB puts a salary cap on it. Because it will only get worse when say Puljos is a free agent. Because Tex is gonna cash in Puljos who is better will Get an astronomical amount for his contract. It is starting to get ridiculous but the MLB is at fault as well for letting it get this out of hand.

No. The Rangers gave Alex Rodriguez that contract. The Giants gave Zito his contract. Dumb teams are the reason for high contracts, the Yankees are the team that can afford that.
Tou basically just restated my point. The reason those teams went so high is because like you said the Yankees can afford to do that. Teams go tooutrageous numbers because they know the Yanks can go to w/e number they want. So the offers start high because of the Yanks, then the Yankees have intrest sothey make an offer and then teams wild out and just overpay for someone because the yankees are in the running.

Dont get me wrong its not against the rules so I commend the Yankees for spending their money to make good teams every year. but betweemn that and MLB refusingto put a cap these unmbers will look small in a couple of years when some more free agents become available.

Back
Top Bottom