My Gay Friends: Please stop comparing your plight to civil rights.

i just dont understand why lynching, segregation, etc are being brought up here.. like other minorities (nevermind gays, im talking minorities as a whole) didn't go through discrimination in different forms.
like i said before, human rights = human rights.. why should it be different for group A vs group B? 

i just dont understand why lynching, segregation, etc are being brought up here.. like other minorities (nevermind gays, im talking minorities as a whole) didn't go through discrimination in different forms.
like i said before, human rights = human rights.. why should it be different for group A vs group B? 

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

i was drawing allusions to the statement you made but no matter...that's a tangent anyway and has little to do with the main topic at hand. Like i said before, comparing the two is stupid. Trying to lessen one because it is supposedly not as worse as the other is equally stupid. embrace the struggle as an affront to civil rights instead of trying to differentiate the two. You'll find that no one will be able to compare them then. Your position is only furthering that belief in those who hold that as fact.

What does that last line even mean? My position is furthering what belief? I support gay rights. More power to them.

Another thing, I'm not the one making the comparison. Gay people are the ones making the comparison. I don't have the right to point out that they are not the same with factual evidence? So because my people have gone through a struggle for civil rights I'm not supposed to call bs when I see it, because the GLT community is trying to get civil rights? Nah.

You're acting like African Americans are the ones comparing these two to their advantage and we aren't. It's obviously the other way around. It sounds great and may garner more sympathy, but it's an offensive simplification of history.

Why don't they compare their struggle to that of the Jewish community. Let's see how that flies. My guess is Jews ain't having it and no one is going to tell them they are wrong for it. Somehow the African American struggle is ok for everyone to don when they need a boost in credibility. I'm not ok with people jumping in and out of my culture when it's convenient. What's the problem with that?
pretty sure gay people aren't trying to latch onto blacks' struggles (or anyone else's for that matter) as a way to foster their own credibility. furthermore, i'm absolutely sure that no one's "jumping in and out of YOUR culture when it's convenient." don't flatter yourself.

there are obvious parallels to be drawn between civil rights struggles of any group. the fact that you can't, and more importantly, refuse to see it as such casts you as nothing more than a run of the mill bigot hiding behind race. it's further compounded by the falsely superior attitude you give off by implying that there's some kind of hierarchy in civil rights.

i was drawing allusions to the statement you made but no matter...that's a tangent anyway and has little to do with the main topic at hand. Like i said before, comparing the two is stupid. Trying to lessen one because it is supposedly not as worse as the other is equally stupid. embrace the struggle as an affront to civil rights instead of trying to differentiate the two. You'll find that no one will be able to compare them then. Your position is only furthering that belief in those who hold that as fact.

What does that last line even mean? My position is furthering what belief? I support gay rights. More power to them.

Another thing, I'm not the one making the comparison. Gay people are the ones making the comparison. I don't have the right to point out that they are not the same with factual evidence? So because my people have gone through a struggle for civil rights I'm not supposed to call bs when I see it, because the GLT community is trying to get civil rights? Nah.

You're acting like African Americans are the ones comparing these two to their advantage and we aren't. It's obviously the other way around. It sounds great and may garner more sympathy, but it's an offensive simplification of history.

Why don't they compare their struggle to that of the Jewish community. Let's see how that flies. My guess is Jews ain't having it and no one is going to tell them they are wrong for it. Somehow the African American struggle is ok for everyone to don when they need a boost in credibility. I'm not ok with people jumping in and out of my culture when it's convenient. What's the problem with that?
pretty sure gay people aren't trying to latch onto blacks' struggles (or anyone else's for that matter) as a way to foster their own credibility. furthermore, i'm absolutely sure that no one's "jumping in and out of YOUR culture when it's convenient." don't flatter yourself.

there are obvious parallels to be drawn between civil rights struggles of any group. the fact that you can't, and more importantly, refuse to see it as such casts you as nothing more than a run of the mill bigot hiding behind race. it's further compounded by the falsely superior attitude you give off by implying that there's some kind of hierarchy in civil rights.

A lot of people act like blacks have been the most discriminated against peoples in all of history.

Civil rights is civil rights. I couldn't care less how you feel about this, but the fact that you're making this thread means you're a bigot.

I pray to Xenu for your sterilization.

A lot of people act like blacks have been the most discriminated against peoples in all of history.

Civil rights is civil rights. I couldn't care less how you feel about this, but the fact that you're making this thread means you're a bigot.

I pray to Xenu for your sterilization.

does it matter who/what they compare their struggle to? If some gays want to compare their plight to black civil rights or extraterrestrials in District 9...WHO CARES? It's wasted time getting offended about what is the greater atrocity. Is it really THAT offensive to you? I would take it as a positive thing that someone else is acknowledging that a wrong was done in the past and gravitate to that as a platform for their own similar  plight. Instead of being offended over this, be offended because there are people out there who have the audacity to deny a class of people the same civil rights they have. Sounds a lot more constructive to me.

To the GLT community it should matter. It doesn't help their credibility at all, when scrutinized, to compare the two. But on the surface and to the casual observer it draws forth images of extreme cruelty that gays are not facing today. Yes human rights are human rights. But there is definitely a heirarchy of rights, whether you think so or not.

The right to life trumps the right to get married.

African Americans were being killed for fun at picnics and family gatherings, at one point in this country. Gays, they want to get married.

I obviously don't care to have the popular opinion on this issue. And really, I should be honored that the GTL community is taking on the facade of our destruction to their benefit without suffering the viscious wrath of exteme hate? Why should I "take it as positive thing"? Are they legitimizing our struggles or their own?

does it matter who/what they compare their struggle to? If some gays want to compare their plight to black civil rights or extraterrestrials in District 9...WHO CARES? It's wasted time getting offended about what is the greater atrocity. Is it really THAT offensive to you? I would take it as a positive thing that someone else is acknowledging that a wrong was done in the past and gravitate to that as a platform for their own similar  plight. Instead of being offended over this, be offended because there are people out there who have the audacity to deny a class of people the same civil rights they have. Sounds a lot more constructive to me.

To the GLT community it should matter. It doesn't help their credibility at all, when scrutinized, to compare the two. But on the surface and to the casual observer it draws forth images of extreme cruelty that gays are not facing today. Yes human rights are human rights. But there is definitely a heirarchy of rights, whether you think so or not.

African Americans were being killed for fun at picnics and family gatherings, at one point in this country. Gays, they want to get married.

I obviously don't care to have the popular opinion on this issue. And really, I should be honored that the GTL community is taking on the facade of our destruction to their benefit without suffering the viscious wrath of exteme hate? Why should I "take it as positive thing"? Are they legitimizing our struggles or their own?

African Americans were being killed for fun, at picnics and family gatherings, at one point in this country. Gays, they want to get married.

Your myopic vision is why you can't see past your views and see the fallacy in it all. I can only hope your position changes and you don't continue to add to the negative positon against marriage equality. You say you support gay rights, but you've done nothing but undermine one of those rights in this entire thread.

African Americans were being killed for fun, at picnics and family gatherings, at one point in this country. Gays, they want to get married.

Your myopic vision is why you can't see past your views and see the fallacy in it all. I can only hope your position changes and you don't continue to add to the negative positon against marriage equality. You say you support gay rights, but you've done nothing but undermine one of those rights in this entire thread.

You can be quiet about being gay.

Black skin is Louder than any word.

its no comparison. Gay people just want legal rights like healthcare and such. this has nothing to do with love.
have a ceremony and be done with it right?
no this is about more than just love. this is all political for homosexual men in positions of power to "come out" with MUCH less scrutiny.

You can be quiet about being gay.

Black skin is Louder than any word.

its no comparison. Gay people just want legal rights like healthcare and such. this has nothing to do with love.
have a ceremony and be done with it right?
no this is about more than just love. this is all political for homosexual men in positions of power to "come out" with MUCH less scrutiny.

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

MLK didn't teach yall *+++ apparently.
srsly

A lot of these people's heroes are MLK and Jesus, but they decide to conveniently forget when an argument about homosexuality comes up.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

MLK didn't teach yall *+++ apparently.
srsly

A lot of these people's heroes are MLK and Jesus, but they decide to conveniently forget when an argument about homosexuality comes up.
laugh.gif

>Your myopic vision is why you can't see past your views and see the fallacy in it all. I can only hope your position changes and you don't continue to add to the negative positon against marriage equality. You say you support gay rights, but you've done nothing but undermine one of those rights in this entire thread.

Like I said, I'm all for gay rights. I'm not for comparing struggles that have more differences than similiarties.

How am I undermining gay rights? If I don't agree with a comparison, I'm all of sudden against the group doing the comparing? Are you of the opinion that if I'm pro GLT rights I have to agree with everything they say or do? Answer that question please.

>Your myopic vision is why you can't see past your views and see the fallacy in it all. I can only hope your position changes and you don't continue to add to the negative positon against marriage equality. You say you support gay rights, but you've done nothing but undermine one of those rights in this entire thread.

Like I said, I'm all for gay rights. I'm not for comparing struggles that have more differences than similiarties.

How am I undermining gay rights? If I don't agree with a comparison, I'm all of sudden against the group doing the comparing? Are you of the opinion that if I'm pro GLT rights I have to agree with everything they say or do? Answer that question please.

How am I undermining gay rights? If I don't agree with a comparison, I'm all of sudden against the group doing the comparing? Are you of the opinion that if you're pro GLT rights you have to agree with everything they say or do? Answer that question please.
no, but you sure as hell wouldn't be wasting your time distancing yourself from it and draw parallels to what issue is of greater importance or suffering. There's already enough people out there doing plenty to keep up this struggle...why add to it?

How am I undermining gay rights? If I don't agree with a comparison, I'm all of sudden against the group doing the comparing? Are you of the opinion that if you're pro GLT rights you have to agree with everything they say or do? Answer that question please.
no, but you sure as hell wouldn't be wasting your time distancing yourself from it and draw parallels to what issue is of greater importance or suffering. There's already enough people out there doing plenty to keep up this struggle...why add to it?

Originally Posted by proper english

I agree with this completely, I'm not trying to say either is more important than the other. BUT, to the compare the two as if the form, quantity and extremity of either is an irrelevant non-factor is idiotic. They are both fights for equality and human rights, but this is where the similarities stop.

It doesn't mean any groups rights are more important, but it is foul and incorrect to argue that every inequality is equal.

Originally Posted by proper english

I agree with this completely, I'm not trying to say either is more important than the other. BUT, to the compare the two as if the form, quantity and extremity of either is an irrelevant non-factor is idiotic. They are both fights for equality and human rights, but this is where the similarities stop.

It doesn't mean any groups rights are more important, but it is foul and incorrect to argue that every inequality is equal.

Wasting my time? I thought this was a message board where I go to post my opinion on the given topics. If I don't agree with you, it's a waste of time?

How am I adding to the gay struggle? The gay people who know me, the ones I interact with at work and the ones in my family don't see me as adding to their struggle for having an opinion that differs with yours. I just don't agree with the comparison. I don't think my opinion is detrimental to the GLT movement.

Wasting my time? I thought this was a message board where I go to post my opinion on the given topics. If I don't agree with you, it's a waste of time?

How am I adding to the gay struggle? The gay people who know me, the ones I interact with at work and the ones in my family don't see me as adding to their struggle for having an opinion that differs with yours. I just don't agree with the comparison. I don't think my opinion is detrimental to the GLT movement.

Gay people are trying to get rights. If it helps them in their argument to get equal rights then whats the problem? History helps us learn, if some people are holding onto history like its there's alone then its stopping us all from moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom