Napolean Hill's "Outwitting the Devil" [The book that they did not want the world to read]

Originally Posted by cartune

laugh.gif
Putty its not about the devil

Its about the demons all of us deal with on a daily

There is a "conversation" he has with the devil but I dont think it was meant to be taken seriously but the message that was given was universal

He even speaks against how the church raises people to not think for themselves

Its not a religious book

This my point...
I know its not a religious book per se...but he has these overtones that self-help "gurus" have been able to capitalize off of by scamming those who don't actually care to investigate their claims. They're just riding the coat-tails of the culture they're trying to influence. 

Also its disingenuous to speak on his behalf and say its not a religious book...well why make those overtones? Hell, in the video posted thats half of what he talks about. 

Again...is having a positive attitude a good thing? Yes. 

Is learning to maximize your talents and understand your own bias beneficial? Yes.

Is relating this to some sort of mystical spiritual power useful? No.

In undergrad I took this easy PE course about positive thinking or something...basically we were using Stephen Covey's "7 Habits etc" book the whole time and I saw through it all. Its a famous book because he helped really sky rocket that self-help guru lane like Tony Robbins etc. Talking about "energy and etc" 
eyes.gif

Trust me on this... 
laugh.gif
 I would be sitting there in class poking holes in every argument and comparing how far off the rocker most of these "guru's" were with the way they make their claims. There is a reason these people are so popular...they remove the element of hard work that most of their supporters dont have. Just by "thinking" things, it makes them possible...and thats also why its easy for them to capitalize on religious groups. 

There is a difference between having good thoughts and being a good person...and having to recognize a "creator" and make spiritual concessions of mentally blah blah blah. Its all pseudo-scientific garb beyond their superficial points. Trust me, I spend a whole semester just sitting there comparing all the major self-help dudes from ones that offered actual benefit.

You're more likely to get more self-help from a TED talk than someone likely to be on Oprah's couch. 

he tries to sneak it by and get heavy into the spiritual woo-woo crap about "THINKING" about being rich will make you rich...without offering any suggestions about what actual rich people did. 

My whole thing is, without getting too long winded is that he makes these outrageous claims that are not substantiated in any form.

Its kinda my beef with ancient texts...like just because there is some good stuff in the book doesn't mean the WHOLE book is good...there is a standard by which some arguments are good and some are bad.

Its like how people revere everything einstein said about "god" ...einstein was right on somethings, wrong on others...but people love to cherish every word that comes out of these names that have been deified as if they're some sort of enlightened truth...sometimes they're not. 

Its more honest to judge each claim individually of the plausibility and veracity of the statement than to exalt each utterance as some sort of real revelation. People always want to take it to the extremes. 

It also funny that he mentions andrew carnegie...yet there are theories that suggest he never even MET the dude. According to lore he met dude in 1908 which led Hill to interview a bunch of other successful people. BUT, Hill didn't publish anything until 1919 and Think and grow rich came out in 1937...and carnegie was dead by then. None of carnegies scholarly and researched biographies mention Hill at all...but they do mention Carnegie's own books...which have no mention of Hill either. 

Dude seems to be an opportunist on selling junk wrapped in a candy layer. 

It takes a lot more to THINK AND GROW RICH than just sitting there staring at clouds. 

These are the dudes that Fortune 500 companies hire to come in and motivate cubicle drones. 
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

I can't post it but just remember Dave Chappelle's skit on "The Secret" 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by sillyputty

laugh.gif

There is a "conversation" he has with the devil but I dont think it was meant to be taken seriously but the message that was given was universal

Its not a religious book

This my point...

I know its not a religious book per se...but he has these overtones that self-help "gurus" have been able to capitalize off of by scamming those who don't actually care to investigate their claims. They're just riding the coat-tails of the culture they're trying to influence. 

Also its disingenuous to speak on his behalf and say its not a religious book...well why make those overtones? Hell, in the video posted thats half of what he talks about. 

Is learning to maximize your talents and understand your own bias beneficial? Yes.

In undergrad I took this easy PE course about positive thinking or something...basically we were using Stephen Covey's "7 Habits etc" book the whole time and I saw through it all. Its a famous book because he helped really sky rocket that self-help guru lane like Tony Robbins etc. Talking about "energy and etc" 
eyes.gif

Trust me on this... 
laugh.gif
 I would be sitting there in class poking holes in every argument and comparing how far off the rocker most of these "guru's" were with the way they make their claims. There is a reason these people are so popular...they remove the element of hard work that most of their supporters dont have. Just by "thinking" things, it makes them possible...and thats also why its easy for them to capitalize on religious groups. 

There is a difference between having good thoughts and being a good person...and having to recognize a "creator" and make spiritual concessions of mentally blah blah blah. Its all pseudo-scientific garb beyond their superficial points. Trust me, I spend a whole semester just sitting there comparing all the major self-help dudes from ones that offered actual benefit.

You're more likely to get more self-help from a TED talk than someone likely to be on Oprah's couch. 

he tries to sneak it by and get heavy into the spiritual woo-woo crap about "THINKING" about being rich will make you rich...without offering any suggestions about what actual rich people did. 

My whole thing is, without getting too long winded is that he makes these outrageous claims that are not substantiated in any form.

Its kinda my beef with ancient texts...like just because there is some good stuff in the book doesn't mean the WHOLE book is good...there is a standard by which some arguments are good and some are bad.

Its like how people revere everything einstein said about "god" ...einstein was right on somethings, wrong on others...but people love to cherish every word that comes out of these names that have been deified as if they're some sort of enlightened truth...sometimes they're not. 

Its more honest to judge each claim individually of the plausibility and veracity of the statement than to exalt each utterance as some sort of real revelation. People always want to take it to the extremes. 

It also funny that he mentions andrew carnegie...yet there are theories that suggest he never even MET the dude. According to lore he met dude in 1908 which led Hill to interview a bunch of other successful people. BUT, Hill didn't publish anything until 1919 and Think and grow rich came out in 1937...and carnegie was dead by then. None of carnegies scholarly and researched biographies mention Hill at all...but they do mention Carnegie's own books...which have no mention of Hill either. 

It takes a lot more to THINK AND GROW RICH than just sitting there staring at clouds. 

These are the dudes that Fortune 500 companies hire to come in and motivate cubicle drones. 
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

bro what is stopping you from just giving this material an honest try and testing it out? you put a ton of energy into debating and theorizing and very little into actually experiencing. why are you so obsessed with arguing and deconstructing everything? these are rhetorical questions meant for you to get better acquainted with yourself and your motivations. sometimes you come across almost like a computer or robot that simply is running anti-consciousness software and designed only to have a limited perspective, unable to expand the capabilities of your mind. who programmed you bro? I'm being completely serious. ask yourself where do your ideas and thoughts really come from and you might realize that you are nowhere close to the independent thinker you falsely pride yourself on being. I would bet everything that your first instinct/programmed response would be to create some type of rebuttal or cite some more facts and figures to continue to build your argument and further close the walls of your mind into a corner just to limit the range it has. it's almost like you are building a cubicle around your own mind. "I will only believe what falls within these given parameters, anything else I will vehemently dismiss and not tolerate...C:\work\assign [x[:]=y[:]....assign /STATUS". but know that my intention is not to argue with you or belittle anything you may believe but only to try and get you to self reflect and open your mind, at least somewhat. 

I just dl'ed the 16 lessons book for 2 bux and his other two books are like one dollar. This is potentially life changing material for pennies, people. Take advantage.

There are like three versions of the Think Big book. I wonder Which one I should cop.

Originally Posted by man listen

laugh.gif

Its not a religious book

This my point...

eyes.gif

Trust me on this... 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

bro what is stopping you from just giving this material an honest try and testing it out? you put a ton of energy into debating and theorizing and very little into actually experiencing. why are you so obsessed with arguing and deconstructing everything? these are rhetorical questions meant for you to get better acquainted with yourself and your motivations. sometimes you come across almost like a computer or robot that simply is running anti-consciousness software and designed only to have a limited perspective, unable to expand the capabilities of your mind. who programmed you bro? I'm being completely serious. ask yourself where do your ideas and thoughts really come from and you might realize that you are nowhere close to the independent thinker you falsely pride yourself on being. I would bet everything that your first instinct/programmed response would be to create some type of rebuttal or cite some more facts and figures to continue to build your argument and further close the walls of your mind into a corner just to limit the range it has. it's almost like you are building a cubicle around your own mind. "I will only believe what falls within these given parameters, anything else I will vehemently dismiss and not tolerate...C:\work\assign [x[:]=y[:]....assign /STATUS". but know that my intention is not to argue with you or belittle anything you may believe but only to try and get you to self reflect and open your mind, at least somewhat. 
A+

cartune wrote:

6113551a470531fdf77c214b73a87236f8e6060.gif

audience.gif

e5168_ORIG-clapping_gif2.gif

Can there be more explanation please? Seems nothing more than a self-help book with hype around it like The Secret and other "literature" of that ilk. All that wife was scared to release the book because of it's content and title, not wanting to publish even 40 years later seems like unnecessary hype and bull to get you to buy this.

Can somebody post a good two-three pages of this? or pm me a chapter at least.

I took the Devil part as a metaphor for all of things that stop you from succeeding not something tying in to religion per se but then again titles like that do draw in the gullible skeptic.

laugh.gif
@ "who programmed you?"

While I can agree with Silly that the people we co-sign with without actually doing our research will lead us to be taken advantage of, I do think that Hill's book(s) have helped a large enough group of people to show that there is some merit to his work...meaning amazon reviews
roll.gif

It'll give me something to do so I bought both
ohwell.gif
Thanks for the recommendation
smile.gif

Sillyputty you're a good smart dude and I say that out of authentic love but you think too much and that can/will be your downfall. You're very analytical (as I was) and sometimes your intelligence can be your stupidity. Trust me. Wow Napoleon on Niketalk!! What a blessing to see!

Thank goodness. It's about time someone said something about this tool. Sillyputty is the dumbest "intellectual" on this board.

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

Sillyputty you're a good smart dude and I say that out of authentic love but you think too much and that can/will be your downfall. You're very analytical (as I was) and sometimes your intelligence can be your stupidity. Trust me. Wow Napoleon on Niketalk!! What a blessing to see!
Welp, this confirms is.

Sidenote- It's GREAT to see Hill material on NT.

Wow you dudes are sheep and will literally believe anything that anyone comes along and pushes down your throat.
Silly putty is on point with his critique. How you can knock him for thinking critically about something? 

Everybody saying "added my amazon cart" etc., 

Yall are some fools. You don't need to pay for some rudimentary self help $$@@#!#%. 

Go to a library and read the classics

The great gatsby is the only self help I'll ever need

On the road inspires me more than any fool claiming divine inspiration could.

Originally Posted by Cz7

Wow you dudes are sheep and will literally believe anything that anyone comes along and pushes down your throat.
Silly putty is on point with his critique. How you can knock him for thinking critically about something? 

Yall are some fools. You don't need to pay for some rudimentary self help $$@@#!#%. 

laugh.gif
 What are you talking about 

Why are you dudes so angry 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Cz7

Thinking critically about something he hasn't read? My bad if I'm wrong and he has read it but if not FOH.

Have YOU read the book? If not FOH.

You dudes could kill Silly Putty for commenting on something he hasn't read (if he did, whatever), but a lot of what he said is reasonable.

And Gatsby self-help....ehhhh. On the Road, yeah I could see that as inspiration, but Jay Gatz, meh.

Originally Posted by Cz7

How can you knock anyone for checking out the book when you haven't read it and don't know what it's about? I haven't read this particular book myself but I'll just put it out there loud and clear like this....when I learn that if I practice meditation and visualization along with learning to control my own emotions and psyche I can get to a point where I can literally instantly manifest anything I desire out of thin air.....and then I take action to see if it's true instead of searching for "proof" and "evidence" stating that this is "too good to be true" in the form of a "testimony" from a third party....and then I find myself getting closer and closer to instantly manifesting my desires out of thin air as I continue to take action to make it a reality......and then someone like you comes along and tries to tell me you know what you're talking about and I don't simply because of something you've been told to believe as opposed to the real life miracles I have experienced firsthand....I mean do you realize how ridiculous someone like you appears to someone like me? which one of us is the sheep again?

Back
Top Bottom