New York Yankees Official Thread - vs O’s, 51-24 - Cole back!

If he leaves, it’s on Hal.

They had the opportunity to pay this man years ago. But LuXuRy TaX

Been an everyday player since 2017. Been the face of the franchise since mid-2017. Has made only $34mil in 6 seasons. They should have locked him up 2-3 years ago.

yep that woulda made sense if they did it earlier and get a good contract similar to Acuna

yep that woulda made sense if they did it earlier and get a good contract similar to Acuna
Ehhhh Acuna is a bad example. That was an agent and team taking advantage of a player. It was a small time agent that knew he'd lose Acuna to a Boras type agent after he was in the league for a few years so he got Acuna to sign a super long deal before thay happened. Acuna lost soooooo much money. Albies too. It's gross that the Braves did it and the agent should lose his license. He wasn't looking out for the player at all. He just wanted to cash in before he lost him.

Topps is making these cards cause the Yanks hit 68 hrs before the break. Why is Gallo there ?

:rofl:

FB_IMG_1658335003056.jpg

Ehhhh Acuna is a bad example. That was an agent and team taking advantage of a player. It was a small time agent that knew he'd lose Acuna to a Boras type agent after he was in the league for a few years so he got Acuna to sign a super long deal before thay happened. Acuna lost soooooo much money. Albies too. It's gross that the Braves did it and the agent should lose his license. He wasn't looking out for the player at all. He just wanted to cash in before he lost him.

Yup. The Acuña deal is awful for him.

As for Judge, after 2019 when there was a “injury tag” on Judge. But you still knew what he was.
That was the moment to be like let’s skip 3 years of arbitration, and lock in the 27 year old for the next decade or so. Could have locked him up for lower AAV, same years and saved in the end. But here we are. 30 year old face of the franchise and it’s hard to argue against Trout AAV or slightly higher.

Yup. The Acuña deal is awful for him.

As for Judge, after 2019 when there was a “injury tag” on Judge. But you still knew what he was.
That was the moment to be like let’s skip 3 years of arbitration, and lock in the 27 year old for the next decade or so. Could have locked him up for lower AAV, same years and saved in the end. But here we are. 30 year old face of the franchise and it’s hard to argue against Trout AAV or slightly higher.
Honestly I'm not that opposed to the system we use where we just wait until they hit FA. It avoids paying someone and them falling off like a Patrick Corbin or something like that. That said, if you're going that route, you better be prepared to pay full sticker price. We have the money to do it, and make this way work for us, but it has to be with the understanding we'll pay more. We can't wait until they hit FA and then be cheap. Just ******* pay the man.

A downside of going this route is now he's 30 so we're going to have to pay him throw 38-39. Would have been nice to do this at 28 and do an 8 year deal through 36 or whatever. Those back end years for Judge could be tough with his body type.

Honestly I'm not that opposed to the system we use where we just wait until they hit FA. It avoids paying someone and them falling off like a Patrick Corbin or something like that. That said, if you're going that route, you better be prepared to pay full sticker price. We have the money to do it, and make this way work for us, but it has to be with the understanding we'll pay more. We can't wait until they hit FA and then be cheap. Just ****ing pay the man.

I wouldn’t mind either. If they didn’t cry poor every year or two. That’s always my biggest frustration with them.

If they lose him though, it’s a huge disaster.

I’m still bitter on the Cano deal. And yes, I believe it would have worked out for us, had we added a year and gotten close on money. Even with what it became, there was 6 or so really good years from Cano which would have been as good if not better in the stadium.

The more i think about it, as much as i like Judge, if he bounced and we sign Juan Soto i think I'd be ok.

Soto is built for Yankee Stadium . Be nice to have em both but Soto would murder that RF upper deck. Been a min since people hit em in there consistently. Barry Bonds still hit the longest i ever seen in the stadium ...

The more i think about it, as much as i like Judge, if he bounced and we sign Juan Soto i think I'd be ok.

Soto is built for Yankee Stadium . Be nice to have em both but Soto would murder that RF upper deck. Been a min since people hit em in there consistently. Barry Bonds still hit the longest i ever seen in the stadium ...
When Tino used to his them off the facade on a line...

Definitely but $35m+ for an aging DH is tough. Arod comes to mind.
With the advances in training, prepping, and the way athletes can take care of their bodies now, I don’t think it would be anything like the Arod situation.

That man had deteriorating hips (prob hindered by his steroid usage) and was hobbling around towards the end. Saw on one the IG Yankee accounts someone posted HR 698/his last homer at the stadium and he looked like he was in pain rounding the bases. Having bad hips and hitting is a lose-lose situation, especially what the part that’s deteriorating is most vital to that skill. We got stuck because he was not tradable and didn’t want to eat the rest of that contract at the time.

It’s not the same. Swapping Soto for Judge.

It’s still a huge disaster if Judge leaves. Even if you replace him with someone better.

Taking care of your guys is important.

It’s why people are dubious of the Red Sox with their guys, it’s not a reputation you want because smart agents will make you pay for it in the future.

Yea you HAVE to hold on to your homegrown talent that turn out to be a valuable asset on and off the field. Especially when they pretty much turn in to the face of the franchise.

On the other hand, if I’m the Yankees. I watch the Devers situation heavy.

Red Sox apparently looking at Olsen 8yr/$168mil as the barometer. Unless they get serious about Devers, a Mookie Betts situation could be incoming.

FA after next season.

Back
Top Bottom