NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
He calls reporters "boss," wears a collared golf shirt under his football pads for practice and puts shorts over his sweats. Sometimes in games, he rhythmically taps his thigh pads once, twice and then claps his hands in a paddy-cake ritual that dates back to Pop Warner football. Two weeks ago he practiced with a towel hanging out the back of his helmet like some sort of minicap

Oh, Marshawn. :lol: And now T.O.?!?! I knew Seattle should have been asked to do Hardknocks.

ight man. i was ok with the back and forth of titans fans thinking they're better than us. but the colts, nah. regardless of schaub and andre coming off of injury, does anyone remember us being 2nd overall in total defense? anyone? or that we were the 2nd best rushing attack in all of football (behind the broncos who started running 40-50 times a game).

if you watch the texans, you'd see that most of their success comes from their zone blocking scheme in the run game, and their ability to use the play action pass. yes, missing andre hurts. honestly, the texans use him as a decoy more than anything else. they let him run downfield to open the middle of the field for their tight ends.

we don't need schaub to put up the gaudy numbers other QB's do. when he was putting up 4000 yard seasons, we were losing. why? because we were always trailing because our defense sucked. we just need him to be efficient and not turn the ball over. let arian foster run wild, and when he gets tired ben tate isn't bad either. dude almost rushed for 1000 yards as a backup.

Some guy on my football team in middle school used to wear collared shirts underneath his pads too...

What's good with that??? :rofl:

Ever think it's because he's coming off Lisfranc?
That and his career W/L is 32-34....It's not like his superb QB rating really reflects how impotent he's been at times.
I'd take the following over him.
Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Stafford
Eli
Romo
Vick
Matt Ryan
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Peyton (he's coming off a neck fusion and I'd still take him over Schaub).
Cam (yep)
Top 10? I lol'd, I was nice and left Cutler off the list though. :wink:

Anyone would take them over Schaub.. MMG isn't trying to hear anything less than "his" team is God's gift to football. You'd have an argument with Foster, but your biased opinion on Schaub is making you look like an ***.

Aren't the Colts switching to a 3-4 defense though? I have some faith in that offense, but I feel like the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 might cause some problems for them. Regardless, I can't see them winning that division over the Texans. At best, I see 8-8 and that's being really generous.

:lol: Dwayne Allen being compared to Aaron Hernandez (I know it was said but they must just mean the fact that Allen will be used at multiple spots cause he plays nothing like Aaron Hernandez)

My team isn't god gifts to football, but when people start making wild *** comments of course your gonna get defensive :lol: esp after years being mediocre , were finally on the up swing and every one wants to put the team down. Honestly the only teams better than us in the AFC at this point are the Pats / ravens and maybe steelers .

I'm not sure if people are putting them down or just pumping the brakes a bit. I do like how Texans fans are getting loose in here, hopefully continues throughout the season. I think they SHOULD take the division with some ease but as we see every year in the NFL...take nothing for granted

Mike Wallace, stop costing yourself money and get in camp

I'm not sure if people are putting them down or just pumping the brakes a bit. I do like how Texans fans are getting loose in here, hopefully continues throughout the season. I think they SHOULD take the division with some ease but as we see every year in the NFL...take nothing for granted
Mike Wallace, stop costing yourself money and get in camp

granted, this is our first chance to get loose ever lol. but in all seriousness, and be objective. you watched the texans steelers game last year did you not? you saw that we are more than capable of playing against the top teams in the afc didn't you? or am i just reaching?

granted, this is our first chance to get loose ever lol. but in all seriousness, and be objective. you watched the texans steelers game last year did you not? you saw that we are more than capable of playing against the top teams in the afc didn't you? or am i just reaching?

When everyone is healthy, Texans can definately hang with anyone in the AFC. Shoot, they almost beat the ratbirds in the play offs with the then rookie TJ Yates but like dmxfury said, you can't take anything for granted in the nfl. Should be an interesting year...

Lulz at the Jets...Got into another series of fights today that cause rexy to stop practice twice to curse out the team & them made them run sprints...What a joke...

My Colts will put up a fight. They will def split the 2 games with us for sure. People keep sleeping on the Colts thinking they are going to go 2-14 again. Will they go 12-4? Hell no but they will def go anywhere from 6-10 to 8-8.

Dude.....the Colts are really, really, really bad. Their offensive line is TERRIBLE, their defense outside of Freeney and Mathis is AWFUL and their top two RB's are Donald Brown and Deji Karim. If they even win 6 games that means that Andrew Luck was playing out of his mind.

Colts don't have a shot man. Yeah, Fleener was the best TE in college last year, but you know what, just about every player drafted has the luxury of saying they were one of the best players at their position in college. :lol: So that doesn't mean anything to me. He could have a brighter future than the other elites at his position just drafted, but as for 2011 and where we're predicting the Colts to finish, he's still just a rookie and this is the NOW.
Luck has all the tools, and I fully expect him to have a better career than RGIII, but there are so many other deficiencies in this Indianapolis team. Their defense was ranked 25th in terms of YPG (rush defense was third worst in the league), and they were last in the league in interceptions so they're just really not a playmaking defense whatsoever. Offensive line was mediocre at best, no elite offensive weapons aside from Reggie Wayne being solid (and he could fall off at any point, he'll be 34 in November).
This division is the Texans and it really isn't close.

Cosign all of this.

This dude SneakerHeathen :lol: Trying to pump up the worst team last year and act like they are going to compete for the AFC South. The Texans were one of the best teams in football last year even with a bunch of injuries. I expect them to be toward the top of the AFC again and take that division with ease. Dude is trying to make it sound like Texan fans are blowing their team up as the best team and is coming off as nothing but salty as hell. But what makes it worse is he actually thinks the Colts are going to contend :rofl:

IMO the Texans if healthy last year would have played in the Superbowl. I am not discounting them at all and I think even without Mario they are going to be top 2-3 in the AFC.

We'll see.

Hey man I love the Colts.

I dont want to go back to the mediocrity of the 90's I remember as a child. So I have to hope. lol

We're in the heart of the Olympics.

US Women's soccer team had that great comeback yesterday, yet SportsCenter leads off with the Jets training camp scuffles.
laugh.gif
mean.gif

You'd think training camp fights never happened before the way they're making a big deal about it.

The Colts would've missed the playoffs last year even if they had Peyton Manning. Th talent on that team was sparse and broken down. Also, remember that even Peyton Manning only went 3-13 as a rookie. In this case, you almost have to take a back seat in the standings for a year or so in order to reestablish the core of your team. Theyll be fine, but they won't be winning anything this year.

Last edited:
I still am in shock that someone was actually able to convince themselves that the Colts could compete for the division title. Incredible.

Can't wait to see how the Steelers season unfolds. Love this pic of Polumalu & DB coach Carnell Lake. Loved Lake as a player, love him being on the staff coaching the DBs...

Carnell :smokin

Steelers should be solid as always. Ho-hum. The question is if they can get hot in time, or during the playoffs. Barring injury I'm certain they get there.

Interested to see how Redman does as starter.

Carnell :smokin
Steelers should be solid as always. Ho-hum. The question is if they can get hot in time, or during the playoffs. Barring injury I'm certain they get there.
Interested to see how Redman does as starter.

I think Redman will do well, especially if the rookies Adams & DeCastro play ok on the rebuilt line. In fact, I think he might unseat Mendenhall as the starter & will lead to the Steelers cutting him at season's end for cap room. Looks like Tomlin is going to give the rookies their first start this Thursday against the Iggles.

Redman just feels more like a Steeler. He's more a cross between Mewelde, who I really liked, and Mendenhall. Essentially, more versatile. Not neccessarily better, but maybe a better fit. That's all over the place, but you know what I mean? :lol:

The Colts would've missed the playoffs last year even if they had Peyton Manning. Th talent on that team was sparse and broken down. Also, remember that even Peyton Manning only went 3-13 as a rookie. In this case, you almost have to take a back seat in the standings for a year or so in order to reestablish the core of your team. Theyll be fine, but they won't be winning anything this year.

You can't possibly compare Peyton and Luck's rookie seasons until Luck plays, c'mon now bruh. :lol: Two different teams.

All I'm saying is that if there is a wildcard to win that division, it's not the Titans or Jaguars, it's the Colts. It's the NFL's weakest division and it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility that they come out 4-2 or 5-1 in divisional exchanges. If they can string together a couple wins outside of the division, then hey, they might be on to something.

In my opinion they had talent in the offense last season, but obviously people can't see that. Collie was still not completely healthy last year, he's 100% now. Pierre and Reggie would've had big years if Peyton was around.

Now they got two extremely talented TEs in the draft, Collie is healthy, Reggie is Reggie, and Ballard/Brown can form a promising RBBC. I will say this, I think more-so than that defense, they need to somehow improve that O-line play. Very well might be the worst offensive line in the NFL. That defense isn't holding anyone, so that offense is going to have to do work, which they're capable of if that O-line can keep Luck upright (though he can make plays with his feet, he had three 50+ yard runs in college).

Sidebar: Let's keep it objective people, I understand that people are passionate about their teams but why even talk football if you're going to ******** and debate like a toddler? Keep your emotions in check. As a Giants fan, I don't simply believe that we'll walk over the Cowboys nor the Eagles this season. Our schedule is the toughest in the league, so you don't see me over here talking out my *** making wild pipe-dream predictions. A lot of you thinking that your team will be winning a ring this year will be supremely disappointed, again. This is football, it's not personal. I love my team but I can take another persons opinion, especially when backed by some rationale.

Sidebar 2: stop taking what I write out of context, people in here thinking I'm a Colts fan or something. I've simply giving them a better shot than most. If they end up sucking I'll have no problem admitting I was wrong.

Last edited:
As far as the Steelers go I'm eager to see how they'll further implement the no-huddle offense with Big Ben/Antonio Brown. Kid is super talented, and I think he'll have a huge season this year.

Though it's not like Mike Wallace being AWOL is a good thing....

Not so sure about Redman's prospects, think it'll be more of a RBBC with Dwyer sharing the load. They'll give Redman the rock a lot more in the beginning but as the season wears on I think Dwyer will cut into his carries.

Highly doubt we'll see Mendenhall until well after week 6, if we see him at all. That offense has potential, but there's a lot of question marks going forward.

Last edited:
Funny...I don't see a comparison. It was a point of emphasis that no matter how stellar a QB is in college and coming into the NFL, his team can still have a losing record.

Get off your high horse before you get hurt. You say keep it objective, but it's hard for me to take you serious when your blind towards your own ignorance and hard headedness.

Look at this paragraph that you just typed:

Now they got two extremely talented TEs in the draft, Collie is healthy, Reggie is Reggie, and Ballard/Brown can form a promising RBBC. I will say this, I think more-so than that defense, they need to somehow improve that O-line play. Very well might be the worst offensive line in the NFL. That defense isn't holding anyone, so that offense is going to have to do work, which they're capable of if that O-line can keep Luck upright (though he can make plays with his feet, he had three 50+ yard runs in college).

Where's your argument?You're just typing optimism and names down thinknig that it will prove your point for you. Drafted two TE's? So? Rookies still need to mesh into their sytem and into the NFL. Plus, you mention how bad of an offensive line they have. Well, if you knew as much about football as you say you do then you'll understand that TE's who are apart of an atrocious O-Line don't do much route running. Reggie is Reggie, but Reggie is aging and doesn't provide the same dynamic he once did. Still can be productive, but is no real consistent game changer. And Austin Collie is healthy...For now.

Then you go to the defense and say they're not holding anyone. So they'll get scored on at will and have to score 27 points a game just to be in it?Umm...Yeah. So, with a bad defense and a suspect O-line (the foundation of a football team only excluding the Q) will be a team that will be fighting for a Wild Cardif a team from that division is even involved?..Haha what????

So again...Are you arguing for or against the Colts, because your points don't help you out. Maybe they don't go 3-13, but c'mon... Not to mention we didn't even get to their RB situation. Not one of them has done anything in the Legaue and with this bad line, then what help will this running game bring to Luck? ****...I'm done.

Last edited:
Funny...I don't see a comparison. It was a point of emphasis that no matter how stellar a QB is in college and coming into the NFL, his team can still have a losing record.
Get off your high horse before you get hurt. You say keep it objective, but it's hard for me to take you serious when your blind towards your own ignorance and hard headedness.
Look at this paragraph that you just typed:
Where's your argument?You're just typing optimism and names down thinknig that it will prove your point for you. Drafted two TE's? So? Rookies still need to mesh into their sytem and into the NFL. Plus, you mention how bad of an offensive line they have. Well, if you knew as much about football as you say you do then you'll understand that TE's who are apart of an atrocious O-Line don't do much route running. Reggie is Reggie, but Reggie is aging and doesn't provide the same dynamic he once did. Still can be productive, but is no real consistent game changer. And Austin Collie is healthy...For now.
Then you go to the defense and say they're not holding anyone. So they'll get scored on at will and have to score 27 points a game just to be in it?Umm...Yeah. So, with a bad defense and a suspect O-line (the foundation of a football team only excluding the Q) will be a team that will be fighting for a Wild Cardif a team from that division is even involved?..Haha what????
So again...Are you arguing for or against the Colts, because your points don't help you out. Maybe they don't go 3-13, but c'mon...

EXACTLY. the argument being made is basically "well, the rest of the division is weak. they drafted players that have potential, it must mean that they will be an instant contender."

drafting guys with potential doesn't always equate to nfl wins. sure, they drafted guys that were some of the best at their position in college. guess what? that's what the entire NFL is comprised of: guys who were the best at their respective positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom