NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMG - I'll get in to it a little more, but there was a segment on the radio today dispelling the notion of the Skins running a "gimmick" offense. Pretty much they run their base package out of the Pistol. Griffin's athleticism makes this base package even more deadly w. the threat of play action and zone reads. Nothing gimmicky about it. It's the same thing they were doing last year w/ Grossman/Beck, but obviously w/ a little more explosiveness due to the pistol formation and personnel, aka RGIII :lol:

Last edited:
Interesting Double, ill be waiting for your explanation later.

My feeling with these type of offenses and "gimmicks" is that yea it works, you catch defenses off guard but what happens defense adjust, get film and plan accordingly, then what?

Not to take anything away from RG3 but Luck to be had been more impressive not only cause he's 8-4 but cause outside of Wayne dudes offense is rookies and he's doing a pro system which every defense knows how to account for.

RG3 is impressive and him an luck both should be in the MVP race ( Luck more so now, but If RG3 leads them to the playoffs him just as well).

Why you mad shoes?  Because hes gone 3-0 vs the NFCE since the bye with like 9 TD's and 1 INT? Throwing 73%?

I guess 11 weeks isn't enough time to "get some tape" on this guy right?
laugh.gif

Having volunteered in Baltimore City for 14 years specifically with elementary & middle school kids (some high school), I can tell you how much it means to kids when they get anything let alone Christmas gifts. Seeing their faces light up is priceless.

Andre Johnson is awesome for doing that. I can't imagine how many toys $19k buys. I've been able to spend a couple of thousand dollars on behalf of some charities/orgs & what we were able to get was alot...Damn...Happy Holidays...

Why you mad shoes?  Because hes gone 3-0 vs the NFCE since the bye with like 9 TD's and 1 INT? Throwing 73%?

I guess 11 weeks isn't enough time to "get some tape" on this guy right?
laugh.gif

I'm mad that Jordy Nelson can't stay healthy...

Having volunteered in Baltimore City for 14 years specifically with elementary & middle school kids (some high school), I can tell you how much it means to kids when they get anything let alone Christmas gifts. Seeing their faces light up is priceless.

Andre Johnson is awesome for doing that. I can't imagine how many toys $19k buys. I've been able to spend a couple of thousand dollars on behalf of some charities/orgs & what we were able to get was alot...Damn...Happy Holidays...

The article said all 12 kids that won the shopping spree was also promised a video game system with 2 videos.

:pimp: :pimp:

@double jays -  hasselback said some real ish about the skins offense yesterday on the svp show..ill search for the audio shortly...

but he was basically saying that this college (not gimmick) offense will hamper rg3 in the long run...because the skins do so much playaction, screens, and zone reads the majority of the routes are 2 man routes/screen routes and he was saying that griffin usually has it predetermined who is getting the rock because of that.

he brought up andrew luck in comparison and how lucks numbers fail in comparison..but when u look past the numbers, and look at how luck drops back, goes thru his progressions in the pocket, he says hes miles ahead of griffin in this aspect...and this 'college' offense will hamper griffin in the long run, because eventually hes gonna have to drop back and go thru his pregressions...

so basically, hes saying when this offense stops working, and rg3 has to do a 3 step drop and throw that rg3 will be behind the curve of say luck, since luck is already having those hardships right now...

imo im loving the college offense shanahan is running, but i agree with the people that say it wont last...and i think hasselback made a good point....

sorry for the short story.

edit:source 

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8709364

Last edited:
but there was a segment on the radio today dispelling the notion of the Skins running a "gimmick" offense. Pretty much they run their base package out of the Pistol. Griffin's athleticism makes this base package even more deadly w. the threat of play action and zone reads. Nothing gimmicky about it.
This offense the Skins are running is basically this years version of the '08 wildcat offense that became popular by the Miami Dolphins.  Simply put, that offense was a gimmick, and so is this one.

VA757VA-

That's what I said earlier in the thread about the learning curve and RG3 offense.

Luck is making mistakes now, but he's going to learn from it and its going to help him adjust an become a better QB.

RG3 isn't being allowed to make mistakes because the offense is being so dummied down for him to succeed that in the long run its going to hurt him.

Y'all are just swallowing and regurgitating whatever you hear on the TV its pathetic :lol:

So now the offense is being dummied down? :lol:

Where you do y'all come up with this? Oh thats right, you listen to Hasselbeck and other talking heads and run with it.

Bottom line is he's succeeding in his first year against NFL defenses. What good would it do to drop back 50 times? Just so he can be more experienced in the long run? Nice backwards logic by you guys.

laugh.gif
Shanny taking the Pistol and implementing it with his own ZBS and being successful with is now a negative?

For such a dummied down offense it sure is effective up to this pt in the season...

laugh.gif
Shanny taking the Pistol and implementing it with his own ZBS and being successful with is now a negative?

For such a dummied down offense it sure is effective up to this pt in the season...

So was the wild cat...

*kanye shrug*

Once defenses catch up, or if, RGIII and Shanahan will have to adjust. I'm guessing Robert will be able to keep up, but really that is the key to long term success in the NFL. Handling adjustments in schemes and playbooks because defenses will adapt. Regardless this rookie class is looking good early, I can't decide if it is due to the players or the NFL is just that much 'easier' to jump in to with all the advantages given to QBs (probably a combo of both).

Wildcat was change of pace... Run a handful of times with running backs handling the ball.

This pistol with robert is being run throughout the game and bobby has shown one of the best deep balls in the game so far...

the pistol isn't a gimmick offense...it's still QB run and used all day. it's not a, "whoa wtf are they doing?" type of offense where a QB motions out and a RB is standing there ready to take the snap a few times a game.

Last edited:
The ******** offense may be college-ish, but RGIII is running it with such flawlessness. He is more than capable of learning and retaining an NFL playbook and this is not a case like Cam Newton where flaws are being masked by a favorable offensive scheme. Shanahan will open the playbook up even more next year for RGIII, which will probably include a lot more "prototypical" plays. Hasselbeck is banking on the NFL being bigger than the man (RGIII) and going off past instances were a player like RGIII would regress in year 2. It won't happen to a big extent with RGIII. He's got what it takes to beat NFL defenses regardless.

Ins have to find somewhere where I can watch all of RG3s deep passes.

I feel like every time it's a deep pass its busted coverage or his WR just torched the DBs :lol: :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom