Nike Performance Running Master Thread

Hi guys. New runner here. Any of you have any experience in Vomero 12? I found a pair for cheap and was wondering if its a good running shoes. TIA
I ran in Vomero 9s and really liked them.

I think if you're a neutral runner and like some cushion these would be a good option.

What is everyone’s racing goals this year?

For me it’s a sub 1 hour 10km and a 2 hour half marathon. Spent the winter strength training and hope it pays off with no injuries this year.

I missed qualifying for my last meet of the season, but I'm aiming for 11.0 on the 100m, 6.5m on long jump.

Goal 1 achieved! 58.13 min...

Attachments

• 77EDD6AB-8F9D-4D33-B032-FCBADCA0E297.jpeg
    77EDD6AB-8F9D-4D33-B032-FCBADCA0E297.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi guys. New runner here. Any of you have any experience in Vomero 12? I found a pair for cheap and was wondering if its a good running shoes. TIA

Good shoe. First shoe I bought when I got back into running. Lots of cushion, zoom in the forefoot and heel and good lock down. Went to peg 33s, structure 20s and now zoom flys.

Welcome to the running world.

Question for you guys. I'm doing a bit of cleaning up and am planning to get rid of some now very-beat shoes for recycling. One of them is the Pegasus 31 Shields, which is where I ran my first (and only) half marathon in. I'm debating on letting those go, but sentimentally, I kinda want to keep em around. Do you guys usually toss yours once it's done for despite the attachments?

Question for you guys. I'm doing a bit of cleaning up and am planning to get rid of some now very-beat shoes for recycling. One of them is the Pegasus 31 Shields, which is where I ran my first (and only) half marathon in. I'm debating on letting those go, but sentimentally, I kinda want to keep em around. Do you guys usually toss yours once it's done for despite the attachments?

Toss them out. Once a shoe has been worn, it's served its purpose. We do get attached to things, and give them character. Think of throwing them away as a well-earned retirement.

Toss them out. Once a shoe has been worn, it's served its purpose. We do get attached to things, and give them character. Think of throwing them away as a well-earned retirement.
I agree, but instead of throwing them away try taking them to a local running shop that takes old shoes to recycle.

I agree, but instead of throwing them away try taking them to a local running shop that takes old shoes to recycle.

Or a shoes for Africa donation box at an area church... Our church sends all old athletic shoes to our sister chapter in Kenya...

Thanks, guys! Yep, I plan to recycle the shoes. I'll probably get a picture of the shoes with the bib I ran the race in haha. Pegasus 35s are about to take over!

Yes, ALWAYS donate. Do so before they’re absolutely crushed and move on to the next pair. Someone else may need/appreciate them

Not sure if you've all been following it or not, but I've been experimenting with the REACT Epics with respect to performance in running.

Here is the thread in the Sneaker Art forum: Epic REACT Modifications and Experiments TL;DR: I've been removing various parts of the shoe and cutting various pieces of foam midsole away. My Every Day Casual shoe EDC is now an Epic with everything removed, making it a Moc.

I thought it would be crazy to run in my Moc version of the Epic, but I've done just that the last few days and I've changed my mind. It dawned on me that a daily trainer is supposed to be training you. The laceless Moc version fits tight enough to stay in place in even fast runs under 7mm, yet there is enough flexibility and loose-ness to force you to focus on your form and heel strike. While I would never wear it in a race where I tend to get loosy goosy in the last part of race due to lactic acid buildup, in training where you want to train the muscle memory and avoid lactic acid buildup, it works great. I could feel myself focusing on each heel strike and muscle form and by the end of the run it came natural.

Some other Epic experiments the hard core runners might be interested in:

I gradually sliced thickness off the mid/outsole of my first pair. First I made it less heel drop by shaving a few mm off heel taper. This felt amazing and forced a bit more forefoot strike, and my heel did not drag late in the run when my legs got tired. Next I kept the lower offset and just removed more REACT foam front to back. Again, this felt amazing. There was less vertical displacement cushion in the midsole, you could feel less "give", but there was still just as much rebound and bounce. Felt GREAT. Finally, I tried making a racing flat by removing all but just 1cm of REACT foam from front to back. This felt OK, but with no plate, there was not enough structure to the bottom of the shoe, and it felt like running in Vibram 5 fingers - you felt everything under the foot. I bet with a carbon fiber insole, it would have felt great, but I did not have one to try.

At first blush, I did not think the REACT Epic could be considered a serious performance running shoe. However, I have greatly changed my mind. My current thinking on optimal running version would be to simply pull off the laces and shave a bit of offset off the heel slope for a cushioned trainer or a bit more foam front to back for a less cushioned racer.

One more note for performance runners: The REACT foam is VERY temperature dependent. It will be too firm on cold days near freezing temps, and get way too soft on hot days running on black surfaced hot roads. If it is that cold or hot, I usually just skip :lol:

Last edited:

Man, I miss when I had shoes that were still wearable to donate. I dropped off 6 pairs when I quit running specialty and moved across the country. Last ones I donated were a few months ago. I even hand-washed them before putting them in the box.

They are a great pair of running shoes for training but they might be a little heavy for races.

I’m currently using a pair for long runs and recovery runs.

Thanks for the reply guys. I opted to get the zoom all out lows rather than the Vomero 12 because when I tried it on, the cushion feels awesome. I hope i made the right choice. Will run on them when i get back from my trip

Thanks for the reply guys. I opted to get the zoom all out lows rather than the Vomero 12 because when I tried it on, the cushion feels awesome. I hope i made the right choice. Will run on them when i get back from my trip

You may want to read some review on the Zoom All Out before you run in them. Most of what I’ve read about them was fairly negative from a running perspective as they are unstable while running.

I know this is a NIKE running thread, but I don’t think there are any other collective running (performance) shoe threads out there, so I thought I’d post here lol

After copping the Dunkin Donut Kinvara 9s (waiting on their authentication), I’m considering giving Saucony performance line a try. I’m interested in the Kinvara9 and Freedom ISOs. Anyone try/wear those?
I've been running in Freedom ISOs and I really like them. Just the right amount of firmness and responsiveness for me. 3mm drop is on point for me too. I used to run a lot in FKRs too so I feel like we may have the same taste in running shoes :pimp:

do you guys still have zoom flys at your local outlets? looking to grab a pair to rotate in with my epic reacts as this season starts ramping up.

I've been running in Freedom ISOs and I really like them. Just the right amount of firmness and responsiveness for me. 3mm drop is on point for me too. I used to run a lot in FKRs too so I feel like we may have the same taste in running shoes :pimp:

Is there any Nike or ASICS shoe that is similar to the Saucony Freedom ISO?

Is there any Nike or ASICS shoe that is similar to the Saucony Freedom ISO?

In terms of marketing and placement, the Epic React or Fly 4% from Nike and the DynaFlyte from Asics. Those are all lighter shoes that focus on energy return. In terms of performance, not really. Since the Freedom uses a TPU midsole, Adidas would have the Adios as roughly similar. However, judging from the set-up, the Pegasus 35 could be considered a competitor to the Freedom, and the Pegasus Turbo potentially even moreso.

Back
Top Bottom