Nike Performance Running Master Thread

How are the Zoom Flys? Was thinking about picking up a pair for running on the treadmill and lifting at the gym.
Most people find them to be a good running shoe, but I would not recommend them for lifting. Too elevated off the ground to really plant your feet, and find stability.

Most people find them to be a good running shoe, but I would not recommend them for lifting. Too elevated off the ground to really plant your feet, and find stability.

Really? Even if I won’t be lifting super heavy with them?

I just wore my Flys for a run and I wouldn't wear them for lifting.

There are definitely some exercises that would be fine, obviously like seated movements, body weight stuff, but I wouldn't use them for anything that requires planting your feet for stability, even standing curls or cable work. But everyone has different standards and I see plenty of people in the gym squatting in running shoes, which I would never do. Whatever works I guess.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm at the point now where I bring two pairs of shoes, one for running and one for lifting.

Ok, these good or what? I need a comparison to something already released (peg, vol, structure, etc)

3’s are a shoe I love but could never catch me paying 200+ for Jordan retros yikes. Could be my first Jordan purchase in 7-8 years

I got these and a pair of pegasus 34's (which are probably going back...) to replace a pair of zoom elites. I was skeptical like everyone else and have only run 4 miles in them but my takeaways so far:
- Not sure how breathable the upper will be b/c the material seems a bit stiff and closed. It was 60 degrees and windy so it was hard to say for sure if your feet will breathe in these. Definitely needs to be broken in. And forget the white version if you plan to actually wear them and keep them somewhat clean. The upper seems like a dirt magnet.
- Thought the laces would be an issue (wide and flat) but they stayed tied. I'll probably switch them out eventually anyways. Undecided on whether the eyelets are an issue...
- As for the feel, I found them to be responsive. You feel the zoom air and the foam midsole.
- They're a touch heavier than my elite 8 but not too bad. For perspective sake, I'm 5'10, 193 lbs so a couple ounces doesn't bother me.

Overall, they're not bad. I was pleasantly surprised how they performed. As I said before, the upper needs to be broken and will probably take longer than most other running shoes but nothing excessive. And as a 39 y/o dude, it was funny to be running towards the young kids and see the looks they got. Hoping they can be my 5k to 10k distance shoes. Hope this helps the shoe fiends who want good performance but also want to look good while doing it.

I got these and a pair of pegasus 34's (which are probably going back...) to replace a pair of zoom elites. I was skeptical like everyone else and have only run 4 miles in them but my takeaways so far:
- Not sure how breathable the upper will be b/c the material seems a bit stiff and closed. It was 60 degrees and windy so it was hard to say for sure if your feet will breathe in these. Definitely needs to be broken in. And forget the white version if you plan to actually wear them and keep them somewhat clean. The upper seems like a dirt magnet.
- Thought the laces would be an issue (wide and flat) but they stayed tied. I'll probably switch them out eventually anyways. Undecided on whether the eyelets are an issue...
- As for the feel, I found them to be responsive. You feel the zoom air and the foam midsole.
- They're a touch heavier than my elite 8 but not too bad. For perspective sake, I'm 5'10, 193 lbs so a couple ounces doesn't bother me.

Overall, they're not bad. I was pleasantly surprised how they performed. As I said before, the upper needs to be broken and will probably take longer than most other running shoes but nothing excessive. And as a 39 y/o dude, it was funny to be running towards the young kids and see the looks they got. Hoping they can be my 5k to 10k distance shoes. Hope this helps the shoe fiends who want good performance but also want to look good while doing it.
Good stuff my dude. Appreciate it. I’ll give these a try for sure then. Only problem is the new line of pegs and stuff are about to drop :/

A good problem to have

I bought the Odyssey React on Friday and used it a fair amount in my track workout yesterday. I find it really comfortable, but it's somewhat soft for speed work. It's a step up from my dead Supernova STs, though haha.

I bought the Odyssey React on Friday and used it a fair amount in my track workout yesterday. I find it really comfortable, but it's somewhat soft for speed work. It's a step up from my dead Supernova STs, though haha.

I saw a Review video posted in the React thread which indicated that the Odyssey have a more stable upper, less flexible in the forefoot, and better durability under the sole. These are all issues I had with the Epic so I returned them. Do you think these are their in the Odyssey? I may need to pick up a pair.

I saw a Review video posted in the React thread which indicated that the Odyssey have a more stable upper, less flexible in the forefoot, and better durability under the sole. These are all issues I had with the Epic so I returned them. Do you think these are their in the Odyssey? I may need to pick up a pair.

I don't know about durability (i think unless you've put 500mi on both models, it's just conjecture), but theoretically yes, since the Odyssey has more outsole material. I didn't really notice a difference in forefoot flexibility, but the Odyssey's upper is far more stable. The tongue actually wraps all the way around the foot, like a loafer. It's also thicker than the Flyknit.

I don't know about durability (i think unless you've put 500mi on both models, it's just conjecture), but theoretically yes, since the Odyssey has more outsole material. I didn't really notice a difference in forefoot flexibility, but the Odyssey's upper is far more stable. The tongue actually wraps all the way around the foot, like a loafer. It's also thicker than the Flyknit.

Nice. I’m going to order a pair to try. I like the red pair. Which color did you go with?

Nice. I’m going to order a pair to try. I like the red pair. Which color did you go with?

All black.

giphy.gif

Looking forward to the Pegasus Turbo as I may hold off to make them my next runner. Returning my Epic Reacts as I didn't feel it was a significant difference from my current Lunar Epics.

As for lifting/gym, the first Metcon DSX or 1,2,4 would be perfect if you want a shoe that would be good for a majority of workouts or treadmill/elliptical work. A lot of them can be had at Nike Clearance/Factory stores for about 49.99 - 79.99. If you have the Nike + app, they're offering 30% off this weekend too.

I picked up a pair of the Odyssey React and took them out for a quick four miler today. Overall I like these better than the Epic React from a running performance perspective.

The upper on the Odyssey locks in your foot better and I felt that the more secure fit allowed me to appreciate the React foam.

In the Epic I felt like my foot wasn’t secured so the more secure fit on the Odyssey alllowed me to pick up the pace better. I’m looking forward to more miles in these.

What is everyone’s racing goals this year?

For me it’s a sub 1 hour 10km and a 2 hour half marathon. Spent the winter strength training and hope it pays off with no injuries this year.

For me it’s a sub 1 hour 10km and a 2 hour half marathon. Spent the winter strength training and hope it pays off with no injuries this year.

I said this on the first page, but I'm looking to do a 1:45 half marathon and also to run my first marathon (sub 4).

I get overzealous with training and find myself getting hurt easily when I ramp it up, so i'm with you on that. Great goals and good luck with your training!

I’m not setting immediate goals. I run a half marathon in two weeks but my preparation was lackluster (too cold during the winter imo). But I would like to improve my run time and possibly run a full marathon next year.

I’m debating on wearing the Brooks Adrenaline 18 or just rocking the same Epic React I’ve been using the last few weeks. I have flat feet and want a better performer based on my Foot profile.

I know this is a NIKE running thread, but I don’t think there are any other collective running (performance) shoe threads out there, so I thought I’d post here lol

After copping the Dunkin Donut Kinvara 9s (waiting on their authentication), I’m considering giving Saucony performance line a try. I’m interested in the Kinvara9 and Freedom ISOs. Anyone try/wear those?

I’m hoping to run 2:45 at the Chicago Marathon in October. I have a lot of work to do this Summer but I just ran a 10 mile race under an hour so I’m at a good point going into the training block.

Hi guys. New runner here. Any of you have any experience in Vomero 12? I found a pair for cheap and was wondering if its a good running shoes. TIA

Back
Top Bottom