NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Also, the thing I've noticed about the Two-Hearted Ale and IPAs in general is that the first sip is going to taste like crap. It starts to get good once your tongue becomes "saturated" with the hopiness. Once you overcome that bitterness, you can really appreciate the nice balance between bitterness, sweetness, and fruit that it has. 

Tried a 6 pack of these purely out of curiousity..

That's that **** I don't like 
sick.gif

4/10

Let me know what you think fam. Its probably in my top 3

It was not bad at all. The fruitiness of it goes real well with the hoppiness. Not my favorite beer but glad I drank it.

Magic Hat #9

Bell's Two Hearted

The place I went to bragged about 30 beers on tap. Bud Light, Blue Moon, Stella, etc. a bit disappointing. They had Magic Hat, Bell's Oberon and Two Hearted and that was about it for stuff I can't get at my local market.

-J-

Seacrets with an Evolution Tropic Ale, pretty decent brewery near Ocean City, MD...reminds me of Victory Summer Love

It was not bad at all. The fruitiness of it goes real well with the hoppiness. Not my favorite beer but glad I drank it.

Magic Hat #9

Bell's Two Hearted

The place I went to bragged about 30 beers on tap. Bud Light, Blue Moon, Stella, etc. a bit disappointing. They had Magic Hat, Bell's Oberon and Two Hearted and that was about it for stuff I can't get at my local market.

-J-

Get a Founders Dirty Bastard if you get a chance.... Its the goods

This week I'll be reviewing the sampler pack I got from Wegman's. For tonight, I had these two:

Victory Headwaters Pale Ale

Man this was good. Reminds me of a standard Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but much much more crispy and refreshing. Think Sierra Nevada PA light, but not in a bad way. Perfect for the summer weather and outdoors when you're not trying to drink piss water like Miller/Bud/Coors Light. 

Shipyard Melonhead

I bought this because I am a huge fan of Hell or High Watermelon. This one is very very similar except it has a more pronounced watermelon flavor. Although I prefer the HoH's hint of melon, this one is perfect when you want a flat out good fruity beer on a nice summer day. Sweet but a natural sweet. Isn't sugary at all. 

^^^ Bells TH is one of my all time faves.

A classic from the Twin Cities and a Porter from Asheville, NC.

1z36scm.jpg

^^^ Bells TH is one of my all time faves.

A classic from the Twin Cities and a Porter from Asheville, NC.

1z36scm.jpg

How did you like the oatmealporter? I live a few mmiles away from the brewery and I always throw some highlands brews in as extras.

Tonight I went with 90 minute and a 4pk of FBS. I'm done lol working at 7am and these beers won't help my cause.

Get a Founders Dirty Bastard if you get a chance.... Its the goods

I had a Founder's Dirty Bastard in a bottle last night at the riverfront home of our Midwest Region VP while smoking a cigar and watching the boats fly by. :smh: Really good beer.
so far on my MI trip, I've had Bell's Two Hearted and Oberon (Oberon is the business).
I also had a Brewery Vivant Farm Hand, which I thought was excellent and a Monkey King Saison which was very good.
I'll be going to Founder's tomorrow night. Not sure about tonight.

-J-

Grabbed a Deschutes Black Butte XXV the other day.

Still have a XXIV that just reached the enjoy after date.

Oberon is pretty good... When it was a rare find about a decade ago, it was so flavorful... It has taken a hit now that they are producing so much more

Five new tries this past week

Ipswitch IPA
Ipswitch Summer Ale
Boulder Flashback Brown IPA
Boulder Hazed and Infused Dry Hopped 'IPA'
Stone Enjoy by 08.02.13

Ipswitch IPA is like most IPAs I have tried. Hop smell is a bit murky. Some better IPAs really bring out some great aroma. Here not so much. The hop bursts into your palette right away and stays. I think I taste some caramel malt to balance it out. It's not a bad IPA but like so many others that are SOLID. Possibly would buy again. 8 out of 10. It's drinkable. There's hops. There's malt. Nothing stands out from the other great IPAs though. Worth at least one try.

Ipswitch Summer Ale has all your typical characteristics of a summer beer. Citrus up front. but with a surprise ingredient.. HOPS.... This one packs a bit of bitterness as well. Their Original ALE is quite bitter. So I think it's more of a brand style choice for them. I'd almost say its a more hopped up Sam Adams Summer Ale to make comparisons simple.
8 out of 10. Good. Better than some other summer ales I've had. So this one stays on top.

Both Boulder beers were on sale so they were worth a try.

The Flashback Brown IPA is a bit of a confusing beer for my taste buds. Unlike Black IPAs that impart more chocolate flavor, this one is like many other browns in its subtle nature to bring out chocolate and roasted characters. The subtle nature does not bode well for me as the hoppiness just takes over and you are kind of left with a weird tasting IPA . The Black IPA I have tried has the chocolate flavor really fighting it out with the hops. A true LEFT vs. RIGHT on your taste spectrum. The brown IPA doesn't have enough fight, so to speak. I don't want roasted malt in a pretty much normal tasting IPA 7/10

Hazed and Infused doesn't pretend to be like other IPAs. This one has a crazy amount of balance. You really want the hops to burst in your mouth with flavor, but that never comes. It's a bit like a pale ale in that regard.. The malt taste is not overpowering at all. The drinkability is awesome.. I would dare to call this one a LIPA or Light IPA. It has all the beginning stages for a hopped up beast. But doesn't attempt to go there and you know it from the get go. So no surprise there. Quite the session beer. This one gets added to my arsenal. 8/10
-------------
'Stone Enjoy by' immediately reminded me of the Lagunitas Sucks DIPA. With such a high amount of booze, the hops are so well hidden. They never quite grab at you. And I am fine with that happening with my IPAs. This one is so well done. It has a velvety texture and quite the mouth feel. You want to chew the beer. Smell is that perfect hop . So well balanced and easy to drink. With many IPAs, the hops are front and center. Here you smell it but it never quite makes its presence be the only one there. I think many IPA makers forget that fact. My mouth never felt that hop blast that covers your tongue and skews what you taste. This one was as perfect as they come IMHO.

I believe Stone is pretty widely distributed. Seek this one out with ease and enjoy. 10/10
-----------------

Todays FRIDAY Buys for the weekend (bought some party supplies lol):
Stone Enjoy 8-3-13 Bomber. Since Lagunitas Sucks has been sold out for awhile, this errily similar DIPA has taken over. I may finally do my IPA tasting and include the Stone Enjoy By beer. My IPA lineup is getting stout.

Stone RIS Bomber(this one place that sells more bud light than anything has a fridge stocked with this one :smh: )
Weihenstephaner Vitus (An amazing Hefeweizen. I'd say the best I've ever tried)
Dos Equis Lager. You can't always drink the good stuff and sustain mobility. So this is an okay replacement for me. If I need water, this is my water.

Weihenstephaner Original.. This one is crisp and dry. At $11/six pack, it rates as one of the most expensive beers my local place sells in six packs.. Well worth it though. The original is very light in color and has a pilsner like light taste profile. Just very well carbonated and has that bite you want out of a lighter beer.. This is what Bud Light should strive for... You can turn any light drinker into wanting the good stuff with just one sip. I think we're on our 4th or 5th six pack in a 4 months time. Becks or Heineken is some stuff people think of when you say lighter "better" beers. This one doesn't have any weird aftertastes. Just a solid brew.. To drink this one on draft would be a dream.

Note to self: don't get drunk and browse online liquor stores. You are bound to make reckless decisions.  Copped two of these last night:

Gonna be gloomy all this weekend so I'm planning on staying in. Picked up a six of Union Jack to accompany me.

'Stone Enjoy by' immediately reminded me of the Lagunitas Sucks DIPA. With such a high amount of booze, the hops are so well hidden. They never quite grab at you. And I am fine with that happening with my IPAs. This one is so well done. It has a velvety texture and quite the mouth feel. You want to chew the beer. Smell is that perfect hop . So well balanced and easy to drink. With many IPAs, the hops are front and center. Here you smell it but it never quite makes its presence be the only one there. I think many IPA makers forget that fact. My mouth never felt that hop blast that covers your tongue and skews what you taste. This one was as perfect as they come IMHO.

I believe Stone is pretty widely distributed. Seek this one out with ease and enjoy. 10/10
-----------------

Stone Enjoy 8-3-13 Bomber. Since Lagunitas Sucks has been sold out for awhile, this errily similar DIPA has taken over. I may finally do my IPA tasting and include the Stone Enjoy By beer. My IPA lineup is getting stout.

Stone RIS Bomber(this one place that sells more bud light than anything has a fridge stocked with this one :smh: )
Dos Equis Lager. You can't always drink the good stuff and sustain mobility. So this is an okay replacement for me. If I need water, this is my water.

Weihenstephaner Original.. This one is crisp and dry. At $11/six pack, it rates as one of the most expensive beers my local place sells in six packs.. Well worth it though. The original is very light in color and has a pilsner like light taste profile. Just very well carbonated and has that bite you want out of a lighter beer.. This is what Bud Light should strive for... You can turn any light drinker into wanting the good stuff with just one sip. I think we're on our 4th or 5th six pack in a 4 months time. Becks or Heineken is some stuff people think of when you say lighter "better" beers. This one doesn't have any weird aftertastes. Just a solid brew.. To drink this one on draft would be a dream.

You really think Enjoy By is similar to Sucks? Enjoy By is close to being a hop bomb to me, Sucks is on the other end of the spectrum and is super drinkable.

Note to self: don't get drunk and browse online liquor stores. You are bound to make reckless decisions.  Copped two of these last night:

:x

How much that set you back? Who'd you go through? I remember seeing that going for $25 at bevmo. I think I'll just stick with Parabola at $15.

Gonna be gloomy all this weekend so I'm planning on staying in. Picked up a six of Union Jack to accompany me.

Stone RIS Bomber(this one place that sells more bud light than anything has a fridge stocked with this one
mean.gif
)

You really think Enjoy By is similar to Sucks? Enjoy By is close to being a hop bomb to me, Sucks is on the other end of the spectrum and is super drinkable.

sick.gif

How much that set you back? Who'd you go through? I remember seeing that going for $25 at bevmo. I think I'll just stick with Parabola at $15.
Bought them off vendome for a little under 50 bucks a pop 
sick.gif
.  I'd love some Parabola, but it's currently nonexistent around my neck of the woods.  I've searched and searched for it to no avail.  

Back
Top Bottom