NTers 25+: Do you guys still have trouble splitting the bill with your friends?

Yall have restaurants that actually limit the amount of split checks? What is the point of that? I've never heard of such foolishness. And if it's me and my normal circle, someone will just pick it up or even cover more than their share and it always comes back around either way since we're like that with each other, but with people from work or something, split bills and have never had a problem no matter how large the party. I wish they would try to tell us, you 10+ individuals can't all pay for your own, and have to team up and combine orders on 1 receipt.

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Yall have restaurants that actually limit the amount of split checks? What is the point of that? I've never heard of such foolishness. And if it's me and my normal circle, someone will just pick it up or even cover more than their share and it always comes back around either way since we're like that with each other, but with people from work or something, split bills and have never had a problem no matter how large the party. I wish they would try to tell us, you 10+ individuals can't all pay for your own, and have to team up and combine orders on 1 receipt.
Yeah they do it to get the gratuity and "recommended" tip.

Originally Posted by Furrell

It's actually because split checks are really annoying.  Table of 12 people and 12 separate checks all paying different methods.  Working in the service industry has totally made me not want to go out to eat anymore, especially in large groups.  So many people don't figure tax+tip in when they pay... if you don't have the $ to pay for your share properly then don't go out to eat right?

Anyways split checks are almost 99% of the time requested by people 25 and under. 

It's actually because split checks are really annoying.  Table of 12 people and 12 separate checks all paying different methods.  Working in the service industry has totally made me not want to go out to eat anymore, especially in large groups.  So many people don't figure tax+tip in when they pay... if you don't have the $ to pay for your share properly then don't go out to eat right?

Anyways split checks are almost 99% of the time requested by people 25 and under. 

some of my friends are THE CHEAPEST. these dudes will get something $8.99 at a sit down spot and will put down a $10 thinking its all gravy
indifferent.gif

c'mon, we all are employed and 23-24 now too
30t6p3b.gif

some of my friends are THE CHEAPEST. these dudes will get something $8.99 at a sit down spot and will put down a $10 thinking its all gravy
indifferent.gif

c'mon, we all are employed and 23-24 now too
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Its not my fault that split checks are annoying. They are more convenient for everyone who requests one. Its inconvenient for you because you don't want to handle the different methods like the waitress who almost lost my friend's debit card while handling her bill. Tax is mandatory, a tip is not. They don't have to figure it in when they pay.

Regarding the bolded statement, I'll pay for my meal and include the tip and tax. That's MY share. I'm not covering anyone else.

Its not my fault that split checks are annoying. They are more convenient for everyone who requests one. Its inconvenient for you because you don't want to handle the different methods like the waitress who almost lost my friend's debit card while handling her bill. Tax is mandatory, a tip is not. They don't have to figure it in when they pay.

Regarding the bolded statement, I'll pay for my meal and include the tip and tax. That's MY share. I'm not covering anyone else.

It is a job you voluntarily signed up for though. When I left my last job, we had a going away party for me that was probably 30 deep. You would've hated working that. Of course, all you really would have had to do is write down each person's order, bring their food and drink, and even if everyone on average tipped 10% (moderately expensive restaurant, let's assume everyone spent 30 bucks), you just made 90 bucks in under an hr. Get over it and do your job.

I don't even take much an issue with the autograt, well I do but that's another argument, but forcing people to combine payments is just stupid/. Write each person's order on a different piece of paper in your notebook then go get checks for it. Is that really THAT difficult?

It is a job you voluntarily signed up for though. When I left my last job, we had a going away party for me that was probably 30 deep. You would've hated working that. Of course, all you really would have had to do is write down each person's order, bring their food and drink, and even if everyone on average tipped 10% (moderately expensive restaurant, let's assume everyone spent 30 bucks), you just made 90 bucks in under an hr. Get over it and do your job.

I don't even take much an issue with the autograt, well I do but that's another argument, but forcing people to combine payments is just stupid/. Write each person's order on a different piece of paper in your notebook then go get checks for it. Is that really THAT difficult?

Always individual bills

if not...split accordingly to what we ordered give or take a few dollars + tip

Never have problems when I eat with friends

Always individual bills

if not...split accordingly to what we ordered give or take a few dollars + tip

Never have problems when I eat with friends

When I eat out its usually only with my good friends or my gf and her friends...

My friends (small circle of 6) will not mind picking up the whole bill and we usually end up arguing about who's going to pay and we have to remind each other who paid for the last dinner etc. etc. I don't mind paying for these guys cause they ALWAYS come through for me.

My gf's friends
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
it's a pain in da +%* whenever the bill comes, they can't make up their minds for !+$@ . Just two weeks ago we went out to eat for a birthday (about 15 people) at a pretty nice restaurant, it's like a steakhouse buffet and the cost of each person is around $60 (Fogo de Chao for my houston people). Bill comes around and like 6 people say they didn't bring enough money and hell breaks loose. Everyone is confused about how much they have to pay now and birthday girl ends up paying for like 4 people even though it was her surprise dinner.

When I eat out its usually only with my good friends or my gf and her friends...

My friends (small circle of 6) will not mind picking up the whole bill and we usually end up arguing about who's going to pay and we have to remind each other who paid for the last dinner etc. etc. I don't mind paying for these guys cause they ALWAYS come through for me.

My gf's friends
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
it's a pain in da +%* whenever the bill comes, they can't make up their minds for !+$@ . Just two weeks ago we went out to eat for a birthday (about 15 people) at a pretty nice restaurant, it's like a steakhouse buffet and the cost of each person is around $60 (Fogo de Chao for my houston people). Bill comes around and like 6 people say they didn't bring enough money and hell breaks loose. Everyone is confused about how much they have to pay now and birthday girl ends up paying for like 4 people even though it was her surprise dinner.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

maybe it's a regional thing, then... or maybe i just don't go to the same restaurants as you guys.

here, the servers almost always ask "how are we going to handle the checks" or "is this one check or separate"?
the south
pimp.gif
.. feel like they only do this in larger cities.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

maybe it's a regional thing, then... or maybe i just don't go to the same restaurants as you guys.

here, the servers almost always ask "how are we going to handle the checks" or "is this one check or separate"?
the south
pimp.gif
.. feel like they only do this in larger cities.

Here's a trick if you're stuck with one bill amongst a large group of people..

1: Determine who purchased what and divide the cost of their food BEFORE TAX/GRATUITY and divide it by the SUBTOTAL to figure out what percentage of the bill they are responsible for.

example: I cop the phad see ew for the $7.95, the subtotal is $87.50.

7.95 / 87.50 = 0.09 = 9%

2. Apply that percentage to the after tax, after gratuity total.

$87.50 subtotal plus 9% tax plus 15% gratuity = $109.68

$109.68 * .09 = $9.88

At the very least, you'll be able to determine exactly how much YOU owe, but it's not hard to run these numbers real quick for the whole table. Most efficient way of ensuring that no one gets screwed over that I'm aware of.

1: Determine who purchased what and divide the cost of their food BEFORE TAX/GRATUITY and divide it by the SUBTOTAL to figure out what percentage of the bill they are responsible for.

7.95 / 87.50 = 0.09 = 9%

$109.68 * .09 = $9.88

At the very least, you'll be able to determine exactly how much YOU owe, but it's not hard to run these numbers real quick for the whole table. Most efficient way of ensuring that no one gets screwed over that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by loendradio

7.95 / 87.50 = 0.09 = 9%

$109.68 * .09 = $9.88

lmaooooooo
roll.gif

7.95 / 87.50 = 0.09 = 9%

$109.68 * .09 = $9.88

lmaooooooo
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

7.95 / 87.50 = 0.09 = 9%

$109.68 * .09 = $9.88

lmaooooooo
roll.gif

A. You're Asian
B. You bring a calculator with you when you go to eat.

C. You're frugal 

D. All of the above. 

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

7.95 / 87.50 = 0.09 = 9%

$109.68 * .09 = $9.88

lmaooooooo
roll.gif

A. You're Asian
B. You bring a calculator with you when you go to eat.

C. You're frugal 

D. All of the above. 

Back
Top Bottom