Official: *2009 Fantasy Football Thread*

I was not feeling this draft. I never get the 1st pick, and wanted the 5-7th and i got the 1st pick in this lol.

10 man 2 qb league (4 players from my other team, i couldnt get away from them lol... hope it doesnt bite me in the !#+)

QBs FLEW off quicker in this league than my 12 man 2 qb league

Other team 12 man 2 qb

Originally Posted by illmatic34

I have been proposed this trade:

Receive:
Matt Hasselbeck
Thomas Jones

Give:
Michael Turner

Should I pull the trigger? I heard about this 370+ curse and since Turner fits that bill I'm kinda worried he's going to end up as a bust this year.
Do NOT do that trade. Watching Turner this preseason....he's already at mid-season form. Seriously. Don't worry about the 370-carry thing.

Just so everyone knows....Adrian Peterson had 367 carries last season, so really? 3 carries separates Peterson from 370 and yet people are only talking aboutTurner.

That curse is bogus.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by illmatic34

I have been proposed this trade:

Receive:
Matt Hasselbeck
Thomas Jones

Give:
Michael Turner

Should I pull the trigger? I heard about this 370+ curse and since Turner fits that bill I'm kinda worried he's going to end up as a bust this year.
Do NOT do that trade. Watching Turner this preseason....he's already at mid-season form. Seriously. Don't worry about the 370-carry thing.

Just so everyone knows....Adrian Peterson had 367 carries last season, so really? 3 carries separates Peterson from 370 and yet people are only talking about Turner.

That curse is bogus.

Aight. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully Turner proves me wrong

Here is my IDP team. I am looking to unload Cedric Benson.

Jay Cutler, Chi QB
Maurice Jones-Drew, Jac RB
Matt Forte, Chi RB
Devin Hester, Chi WR
Steve Smith, Car WR
Marques Colston, NO WR
Vincent Jackson, SD WR
Antonio Gates, SD TE
Chad Ochocinco, Cin WR
Kevin Williams, Min DT
Darnell Dockett, Ari DT
Osi Umenyiora, NYG DE
Gaines Adams, TB DE
Barrett Ruud, TB LB
Ray Lewis, Bal LB
Antoine Winfield, Min CB
Nate Clements, SF CB
Adrian Wilson, Ari S
Roman Harper, NO S
Shawn Springs, NE CB
Ryan Longwell, Min K
Craig Hentrich, Ten P

Bench

Carson Palmer, Cin QB
Cedric Benson, Cin RB
Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG RB
Curtis Lofton, Atl LB
James Davis, Cle RB
Quintin Mikell, Phi S
Dunta Robinson*, Hou CB
E.J. Henderson, Min LB
Asante Samuel, Phi CB
Muhsin Muhammad, Car WR
Owen Daniels, Hou TE
Marshawn Lynch*, Buf RB

IR Michael Vick*, Phi QB

[h2]It's simple NFL 'Mass-ematics'[/h2]

Comment Email Print >http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-i... -moz-initial;">Share </div><cite class= By AJ Mass
ESPN.com
Archive

With the NFL draft over, the process of trying to evaluate the fantasy value of players on new teams or in new roles can truly begin in earnest. But before we gaze into the crystal ball for 2009, it's important to take one last look back at the 2008 season to see whether we might have missed some information the first time around.

Let me pose a question to you: If there are problems with the statistics we use to evaluate players in the first place, how can we buy into the results of those evaluations? The answer is that we can't, yet that's what we end up doing, season after season, putting our faith in numbers that are easily manipulated by our own methodology.

For example, who was the better fantasy player in 2008, Brian Westbrook or Maurice Jones-Drew? In ESPN.com standard leagues, Westbrook scored six more points. However, a quick look at their numbers tips the scales slightly in the other direction. Jones-Drew had 59 more total yards, and each player scored 14 touchdowns. Most people would have expected Westbrook to have better raw numbers. The two backs are ranked fairly close to each other anyway, but we still didn't really answer the question.

That's what this article intends to do. By using a new form of mathematics, some NFL "Mass-ematics," if you will, I will show you that some players have much more potential than you might think -- while others really don't live up to their hype -- if all you do is look at the final point totals.

After all, football is a team sport, and teams have just undergone several months of playing musical chairs with their rosters. The accurate quarterback who had stone-hands receivers in 2008 might now be blessed with Jerry Rice clones in 2009. The receiver who caught everything thrown his way but didn't get many thrown his way in 2008 might be the go-to guy for his team in 2009. The running back who was splitting carries …

Using Mass-ematics, I will attempt to identify exactly which player is which. Read on.

Quarterbacks

One of the most confusing stats across all sports is the NFL's passer rating, and there's no easy way to describe it. Essentially, each quarterback is given a value between 0 and, for some reason, 2.375 in each of four categories: completion percentage, passing yards, touchdowns and interceptions. Then those four numbers are added together, divided by 6 and multiplied by 100 to get a number between 0 and 158.3.

Frankly, this formula has never made any sense to me because it sets a limit to the best possible performance. In a single game, a quarterback who goes 9-for-11 for 218 yards and two scores is considered "perfect." Yet so is the quarterback who goes 20-for-25 for 314 yards and six scores. But how can both be perfect when one is so obviously better than the other?

That's why I've come up with my own rating for quarterbacks. Simply put, I've taken the same four categories the NFL uses for its quarterback rating, but instead of assigning an arbitrary value to each, I've awarded each quarterback more points the greater his stats are compared with the average per attempt.

Just for a basic understanding, the average number of touchdown passes in 2008 by NFL quarterbacks who threw at least 14 passes per game was 18. Any quarterback who didn't throw at least that many passes per game wouldn't have had much value to a fantasy football owner throughout the course of the season, because more often than not, he would be holding a clipboard rather than taking snaps under center. So, Kyle Orton, with 18 touchdowns, would receive zero points in that category. Drew Brees and Philip Rivers would receive the most points in that category, and so on.

After adding up all these numbers, I gave the highest-scoring quarterback a perfect score of 100 and adjusted the rest of the scores off that watermark to see exactly how much better he was than his nearest competition. Here are the top 20 quarterbacks using the new Mass-ematics. (Brett Favre's stats are included in the average, but because he's retired -- we assume for good this time -- and has no 2009 value, we've removed him from the list below.)

[h4]Mass-ematics passer ratings[/h4]
Drew Brees provides the benchmark, and the other quarterbacks stack up beneath him.
[table][tr][th=""]Mass Rank[/th] [th=""]ESPN Standard '08 Rank[/th] [th=""]Quarterback[/th] [th=""]Comp Pct.[/th] [th=""]Yards[/th] [th=""]TD[/th] [th=""]Int.[/th] [th=""]NFL Passer Rating[/th] [th=""]Mass QB Rating[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Drew Brees[/td] [td]65.0[/td] [td]5,069[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]96.2[/td] [td]100.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Kurt Warner[/td] [td]67.1[/td] [td]4,583[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]96.9[/td] [td]82.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Jay Cutler[/td] [td]62.3[/td] [td]4,526[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]86.0[/td] [td]79.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Aaron Rodgers[/td] [td]63.6[/td] [td]4,038[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]93.8[/td] [td]63.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]Peyton Manning[/td] [td]66.8[/td] [td]4,002[/td] [td]27[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]95.0[/td] [td]63.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]Philip Rivers[/td] [td]65.3[/td] [td]4,009[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]105.5[/td] [td]62.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Donovan McNabb[/td] [td]60.4[/td] [td]3,916[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]86.4[/td] [td]60.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]Tony Romo[/td] [td]61.3[/td] [td]3,448[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]91.4[/td] [td]56.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Matt Cassel[/td] [td]63.4[/td] [td]3,693[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]89.4[/td] [td]53.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]Chad Pennington[/td] [td]67.4[/td] [td]3,653[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]97.4[/td] [td]52.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]David Garrard[/td] [td]62.6[/td] [td]3,620[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]81.7[/td] [td]51.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]Matt Schaub[/td] [td]66.1[/td] [td]3,043[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]92.7[/td] [td]51.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Matt Ryan[/td] [td]61.1[/td] [td]3,440[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]87.7[/td] [td]45.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]Ben Roethlisberger[/td] [td]59.9[/td] [td]3,301[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]80.1[/td] [td]42.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]Jason Campbell[/td] [td]62.3[/td] [td]3,245[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]84.3[/td] [td]42.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]Eli Manning[/td] [td]60.3[/td] [td]3,238[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]86.4[/td] [td]41.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]Jake Delhomme[/td] [td]59.4[/td] [td]3,288[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]84.7[/td] [td]41.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]Jeff Garcia[/td] [td]64.9[/td] [td]2,712[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]90.2[/td] [td]37.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]Kyle Orton[/td] [td]58.5[/td] [td]2,972[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]79.6[/td] [td]37.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]Joe Flacco[/td] [td]60.0[/td] [td]2,971[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]80.3[/td] [td]34.5[/td] [/tr][/table]

Better than the fantasy rank indicates

Tony Romo, Cowboys: Romo and Roy Williams never quite connected in 2008, keeping his completion percentage down. But considering how many touchdowns he was able to throw in so few attempts, he's still worth it as an every-week starter.

Matt Schaub, Texans: Just imagine how high he would be on this list if he had played in all 16 games instead of just 11. That's the value of looking at the stats on a per-attempt basis rather than just the season totals.

Not quite as good as advertised

Philip Rivers, Chargers: The touchdown numbers are indeed impressive, but Rivers ranked 11th in completions last season, and with LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles sucking up touches in the Chargers' backfield, that number won't grow. He's good, but he's not top 3-good.

Eli Manning, Giants: Manning was praised for his ball control and efficiency all last season, and many see him as a borderline fantasy starter. I'm sorry, but the numbers say otherwise. Too many picks and too many drops.

Outside the top 20
Tyler Thigpen: Perhaps the reason the Chiefs traded for Matt Cassel had a bit to do with Thigpen's being ranked No. 23 in the Mass quarterback ratings, a 12-spot drop from his 11th-place ESPN Fantasy points rank.
Running backs

We expect 100 yards and a score from our top running backs each and every game. Anything more than that is gravy, and anything less is a disappointment. The problem with looking at the final totals at running back, though, is that they doesn't tell you how consistent a runner is throughout the course of the season. Sure, a back such as LenDale White can win you a game all by himself with 32 fantasy points in Week 7, but he also can lose the championship for you with only two points in Weeks 15 and 17. That's why we don't like the fact that White was a top-20 running back according to the final ESPN fantasy points rankings; they fail to take into account the most important asset a fantasy back can possess: consistency.

That's the focus of our Mass-ematics for running backs. Rather than simply rank runners according to their yardage totals and touchdowns scored, I've added in the consistency factor, or what I call "safety," in the form of standard deviation. I'd much rather own a back like Kevin Smith, who I pretty much can count on to produce 10 fantasy points week in and week out than to roll the dice with a feast-or-famine back such as Ronnie Brown, even if Brown did end up with more overall fantasy points for the season. Here are the top 25 running backs using Mass-ematics.

[h4]Mass-ematics running back ratings[/h4]
The top 25 running backs based on "safety rating."
[table][tr][th=""]Mass Rank[/th] [th=""]ESPN Standard '08 Rank[/th] [th=""]Running Back[/th] [th=""]Standard Deviation[/th] [th=""]Standard Deviation Rank[/th] [th=""]Safety Rating[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [td]Adrian Peterson[/td] [td]7.5[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Matt Forte[/td] [td]9.4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Michael Turner[/td] [td]6.4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]DeAngelo Williams[/td] [td]5.9[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]LaDainian Tomlinson[/td] [td]6.6[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]4.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Thomas Jones[/td] [td]5.5[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]6.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Steve Slaton[/td] [td]5.8[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]7.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]Clinton Portis[/td] [td]6.1[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]7.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]Maurice Jones-Drew[/td] [td]4.7[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]Chris Johnson[/td] [td]3.8[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]12.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Marshawn Lynch[/td] [td]4.3[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]13.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]Kevin Smith[/td] [td]5.1[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]13.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]Frank Gore[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]14.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]Brandon Jacobs[/td] [td]3.2[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]15.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]Derrick Ward[/td] [td]4.2[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]17.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]Le'Ron McClain[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]18.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]Marion Barber[/td] [td]2.1[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]18.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]Ryan Grant[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]19.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Brian Westbrook[/td] [td]0.4[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]20.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [td]27[/td] [td]Jamal Lewis[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]21.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]Ronnie Brown[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]21.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]LenDale White[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]22.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]Jonathan Stewart[/td] [td]1.6[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]23.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]Steven Jackson[/td] [td]-0.3[/td] [td]37[/td] [td]25.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]Warrick Dunn[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]26.5[/td] [/tr][/table]

Jamal Lewis, Browns: Say what you want about his age, but he'll give you around 80 combined yards nearly every week. That's not enough to make him a first- or second-round pick, but you could do a lot worse for your second back.

Derrick Ward, Giants (in 2008; now with the Bucs): The fact that he almost made the top 20 in ESPN fantasy points despite having just one game of 20 or more rushes speaks to how incredible Ward was in a limited role in 2008. Given the chance to be "the man" in Tampa Bay should raise his value even more.

Steven Jackson, Rams: When healthy, he's a monster, but let's face it, he has missed a quarter of the season each of the past two years, making him a risky selection. He's certainly worth the upside, but that downside can kill your playoff hopes in an instant.

Brian Westbrook, Eagles: Westbrook is one of the best backs in the game -- about half the time. Sure, he'll get you 20-30 (or more) fantasy points more often than any other running back, but what about all those games in which he gets one, three or four points? Add them all up, and he's just not as good as the sum of his parts.

Outside the top 20
Justin Fargas: I'm relatively unimpressed with Darren McFadden. Certainly, if Fargas doesn't start for the Raiders, he isn't worth starting in fantasy, but he still ranked 34th using Mass-ematics, a good 12-spot jump over his ESPN fantasy points rank. So having him on the bench just in case could pay huge dividends.
Wide receivers

What allows a wide receiver to rack up enough fantasy points to make a difference? First, it's opportunity in the form of targets. After all, you can't catch the ball if it isn't thrown your way. Next, it's making the most of those opportunities in the form of receptions. The quarterback can look your way on every single down, but if you have a severe case of the dropsies, you're about as valuable as the team mascot. Finally, there's the number of yards a receiver gains after each catch he makes. Touchdowns, well, they're just gravy.

I've come up with a stat called "deep value," which combines all those factors into a single number that indicates how close a receiver is to maximizing his production in relation to the league average for wide receivers. We then combine each receiver's rank in that category with the actual number of fantasy points he scored in 2008 to come up with his "optimal worth," which is the relative rating we have used to compose our Mass-ematics rankings at wide receiver.

[h4]Wide receiver ratings[/h4]
The top 35 wide receivers in optimal worth (minimum 50 targets)
[table][tr][th=""]Mass Rank[/th] [th=""]ESPN Standard '08 Rank[/th] [th=""]Wide Receiver[/th] [th=""]Targets[/th] [th=""]Rec.[/th] [th=""]Yards[/th] [th=""]TD[/th] [th=""]Deep Value[/th] [th=""]Optimal Worth[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Larry Fitzgerald[/td] [td]154[/td] [td]96[/td] [td]1431[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]9.79[/td] [td]4.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Steve Smith[/td] [td]129[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]1421[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]9.96[/td] [td]5.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Andre Johnson[/td] [td]170[/td] [td]115[/td] [td]1575[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]9.27[/td] [td]5.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]Calvin Johnson[/td] [td]151[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]1331[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]8.93[/td] [td]8.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Greg Jennings[/td] [td]140[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]1292[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]8.94[/td] [td]8.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]Vincent Jackson[/td] [td]101[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]1098[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]9.92[/td] [td]8.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Anquan Boldin[/td] [td]126[/td] [td]89[/td] [td]1038[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]9.09[/td] [td]9.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]Roddy White[/td] [td]148[/td] [td]88[/td] [td]1382[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]8.76[/td] [td]10.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Antonio Bryant[/td] [td]137[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]1248[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]8.63[/td] [td]12.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]Randy Moss[/td] [td]125[/td] [td]69[/td] [td]1008[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]8.32[/td] [td]14.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]Bernard Berrian[/td] [td]95[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]964[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]8.95[/td] [td]14.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]Kevin Walter[/td] [td]95[/td] [td]60[/td] [td]899[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]9.22[/td] [td]14.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]Reggie Wayne[/td] [td]130[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]1145[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]8.31[/td] [td]16.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]Lance Moore[/td] [td]120[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]928[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]8.29[/td] [td]17.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Hines Ward[/td] [td]125[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]1043[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]8.19[/td] [td]18.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]Devery Henderson[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]793[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]11.42[/td] [td]20.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]Lee Evans[/td] [td]102[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]1017[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]8.63[/td] [td]21.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]Terrell Owens[/td] [td]140[/td] [td]69[/td] [td]1052[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]7.48[/td] [td]22.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]Derrick Mason[/td] [td]121[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]1037[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]8.06[/td] [td]23.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]Donald Driver[/td] [td]115[/td] [td]74[/td] [td]1012[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]8.17[/td] [td]23.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]Steve Breaston[/td] [td]113[/td] [td]77[/td] [td]1006[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]8.05[/td] [td]27.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]Eddie Royal[/td] [td]129[/td] [td]91[/td] [td]980[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]7.42[/td] [td]28.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23[/td] [td]27[/td] [td]Muhsin Muhammad[/td] [td]108[/td] [td]65[/td] [td]923[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]7.78[/td] [td]28.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]Michael Jenkins[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]777[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]8.32[/td] [td]30.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]Wes Welker[/td] [td]149[/td] [td]111[/td] [td]1165[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]7.38[/td] [td]30.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]26[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]Santana Moss[/td] [td]138[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]1044[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]7.07[/td] [td]32.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]27[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]Isaac Bruce[/td] [td]108[/td] [td]61[/td] [td]835[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]7.36[/td] [td]33.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]28[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]Brandon Marshall[/td] [td]181[/td] [td]104[/td] [td]1265[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]6.63[/td] [td]33.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]28[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]Marques Colston[/td] [td]88[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]760[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]7.56[/td] [td]33.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]30[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]Laveranues Coles[/td] [td]116[/td] [td]70[/td] [td]850[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]7.19[/td] [td]35.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]30[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]Anthony Gonzalez[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]664[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]7.98[/td] [td]35.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]32[/td] [td]37[/td] [td]Justin Gage[/td] [td]74[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]651[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]7.54[/td] [td]35.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]33[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]Jerricho Cotchery[/td] [td]111[/td] [td]71[/td] [td]858[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]7.27[/td] [td]36.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]34[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]Dwayne Bowe[/td] [td]157[/td] [td]86[/td] [td]1022[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]6.35[/td] [td]37.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]35[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]Ted Ginn Jr.[/td] [td]93[/td] [td]56[/td] [td]790[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]7.18[/td] [td]41.0[/td] [/tr][/table]

Devery Henderson, Saints: Henderson was one of the few players to exceed 10 in deep value, thanks to a ridiculous 24.8 yards per catch. The sheer home run potential that exists each time he and Drew Brees are on the field gives him far more value than most of his peers.

Anthony Gonzalez, Colts: He caught 72 percent of the balls Peyton Manning threw his way, and far more of them should be aimed in his direction now that Marvin Harrison isn't around.

Brandon Marshall, Broncos: The 181 targets he saw last season are an insanely high number that likely won't be repeated with Kyle Orton at the helm. It's the primary reason for his huge drop in these rankings.

Terrell Owens, Cowboys (in 2008; now with the Bills): If Owens caught fewer than 50 percent of the passes sent his way from Tony Romo, how's he going to fare with Trent Edwards under center?

Outside the top 20
Amani Toomer, Giants: He might be the most reliable receiver left on the team, yet he still fell 14 slots from 47th in the ESPN fantasy points rankings to 61st in optimal worth.
Tight ends

Although a few tight ends have no business being on a fantasy roster because they simply are used as glorified offensive linemen, the majority of them are becoming integral parts of NFL offensive schemes. As such, we'll use the same criteria to judge their worth as we did for wide receivers, but of course we'll compare apples to apples here and use the league average for tight ends as the basis for our deep value and optimal worth values.

[h4]Tight end ratings[/h4]
The top 15 tight ends ranked by optimal worth (minimum 50 targets)
[table][tr][th=""]Mass Rank[/th] [th=""]ESPN '08 Rank[/th] [th=""]Tight End[/th] [th=""]Targets[/th] [th=""]Rec.[/th] [th=""]Yards[/th] [th=""]TD[/th] [th=""]Deep Value[/th] [th=""]Optimal Worth[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Visanthe Shiancoe[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]596[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]9.96[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Dallas Clark[/td] [td]107[/td] [td]77[/td] [td]848[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]7.94[/td] [td]4.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Antonio Gates[/td] [td]92[/td] [td]60[/td] [td]704[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]7.82[/td] [td]6.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]Anthony Fasano[/td] [td]53[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]454[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]8.34[/td] [td]7.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Tony Gonzalez[/td] [td]155[/td] [td]96[/td] [td]1058[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]7.40[/td] [td]7.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]Tony Scheffler[/td] [td]61[/td] [td]40[/td] [td]645[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]9.32[/td] [td]7.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]Owen Daniels[/td] [td]101[/td] [td]70[/td] [td]862[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]7.60[/td] [td]8.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]John Carlson[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]627[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]7.55[/td] [td]9.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]Jason Witten[/td] [td]121[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]952[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]7.32[/td] [td]9.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]Zach Miller[/td] [td]86[/td] [td]56[/td] [td]778[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]7.66[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]Billy Miller[/td] [td]62[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]579[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]8.25[/td] [td]11.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Chris Cooley[/td] [td]111[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]849[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]6.87[/td] [td]12.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Heath Miller[/td] [td]65[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]514[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]7.44[/td] [td]13.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]Greg Olsen[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]54[/td] [td]574[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]6.74[/td] [td]14.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]Kevin Boss[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]384[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]6.71[/td] [td]16.0[/td] [/tr][/table]

Tony Scheffler, Broncos: We're not sure whether he'll end up staying in Denver, but if he does, expect a lot of passes to be sent his way, and he averaged 16.1 yards per catch in 2008.

Visanthe Shiancoe, Vikings: Both he and Anthony Fasano surge up the rankings thanks to their seven touchdown receptions apiece. It's true they have far fewer catches than many of the traditional top-tier tight ends, but they also do more with those catches.

Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs (in 2008; now with the Falcons): We're certainly not suggesting he's washed up, but a change in scenery and a possible decrease in targets in 2009 might see him fall from the top fantasy scoring slot, especially if he fails to reach at least 10 touchdowns in Atlanta.

Jason Witten, Cowboys: Actually, the only thing Witten did wrong was not find the end zone as frequently as some of his fellow tight ends. Considering the high number of targets he saw in the Cowboys' offense, he probably should have reached pay dirt more often, and that's why his value drops in my estimation.

Outside the top 15
Brent Celek, Eagles: Had Celek qualified, he would have ranked 22nd among tight ends on this list, a 10-place jump from his ESPN fantasy points ranking. With L.J. Smith no longer around in Philadelphia, expect him to become a factor in 2009.
AJ Mass is a fantasy baseball, football and college basketball analyst for ESPN.com. You can e-mail him here.
Pretty good read if you have the time.

Originally Posted by parada45

What is with all the Aaron Rodgers hype?

Someone let me know
4,038 yards and 28 TD's. also one of the best WR core's in football, that's it I guess...

Originally Posted by bwalk

Someone let me know
4,038 yards and 28 TD's. also one of the best WR core's in football, that's it I guess...
dude...rodgers is gonna do it big this year...he's #4 on my list, fantasy wise. and i wont draft peyton for personal grudge reasons, so iguess he's #3 on my list
laugh.gif

I'm in a 2 QB league and I have Shaun Hill (my boy), Joe Flacco, Brett Favre and Mark Sanchez. Who should I start week 1?

I'm leaning towards Favre and Sanchez.

Originally Posted by WickedNikes

Originally Posted by bwalk

Someone let me know
dude...rodgers is gonna do it big this year...he's #4 on my list, fantasy wise. and i wont draft peyton for personal grudge reasons, so i guess he's #3 on my list
laugh.gif
I hope he does. He's my QB
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

I'm in a 2 QB league and I have Shaun Hill (my boy), Joe Flacco, Brett Favre and Mark Sanchez. Who should I start week 1?
None of those guys.

How do you have a league where you have not one, but two QB's (meaning they're more important) and end up with 4 second-team QB's?
Not even Schaub
laugh.gif

damn! you better have a stacked RB/WR core, or else you're doomed!

^ i like it. i like portis this year, so i feel like you have a top end player at every spot. finley is a good look at backup TE too...

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

3rd and final team
30tgec3.jpg
QBs- Rodgers is going to have a helluva year....you're going to benefit from having him greatly. Also, Carson could really bounce back to hisoriginal form so you have a great backup plan there.
RBs- I like Portis, then you have a lot of players that could explode like McFadden, Felix and Beanie....therefore you're in a great spot because odds areone of them will.
WRs- I love Fitzgerald obviously, Colston is solid #2 receiver, and if I were you I would start Driver over Avery. Especially since you'll have theRodgers-to-Driver hook up.
TEs- Clark is great, always good for solid production as long as Peyton is in the fold. And you have Jermichael Finley, a player who could very well make aname for himself this year. I'm interested in seeing what he can do.

Nice squad man....even though I haven't seen other rosters in your league, looks like you have a Top 3 team.

the 3rd and last draft of the season for me

10th pick in a 10 team league, 1 pt per 10 receiving/passing/rushing yds

3 bonus pts for 100 yd rusher/recieving
3 bonus pts for 300 yd passing

there were some dumb draft picks..frank gore was picked before deangelo and slaton, gb and seattle defense were picked before tennessee d

we start 1 qb, 2 rbs, 3 wrs, 1 te, 1 kicker, 1 def

squad up:

qb- drew brees, joe flacco
rb- sjax, larry johnson, lendale white, lesean mccoy
wr- terrell owens, ocho cinco, santonio holmes, tory holt, justin gage
te- chris cooley, dustin keller
k- mason crosby
defense- pittsburgh, tennessee

i just offered up matt ryan, thomas jones, TO, and willie for aaron rodgers and kevin smith. thought? i doubt it would be accepted, but is that a fair deal?

aaron rodgers and kevin smith are going to be absolute STUDS this year, doubt dude accepts the trade but hey who knows...

my drafts finally this weekend, still stoked im landing AP with the second pick....

who should i trade T.O for? i have lee evans, calvin johnson as starters. nate washington, jeremy maclin, and bryant johnson on the bench as my WRs. helpplease. i need a good RB.

12 man team had the last pick

Lefor3
1. (10) Larry Fitzgerald
2. (11) Andre Johnson
3. (30) Marion Barber
4. (31) Kevin Smith
5. (50) Braylon Edwards
6. (51) Pierre Thomas
7. (70) Joseph Addai
8. (71) Matt Schaub
9. (90) Felix Jones
10. (91) Torry Holt
11. (110) Visanthe Shiancoe
12. (111) Chris Henry
13. (130) Ray Rice
14. (131) Trent Edwards
15. (150) Tampa Bay

I need a Kicker since I didn't draft one. Who would you drop for a kicker? I'm hesitant to drop any RB's since my RB core is weak and i'mhoping someone has a breakout year. It is a PPR league as well.

Opinions on who to drop?

Originally Posted by sole searchin

12 man team had the last pick

Lefor3
1. (10) Larry Fitzgerald
2. (11) Andre Johnson
3. (30) Marion Barber
4. (31) Kevin Smith
5. (50) Braylon Edwards
6. (51) Pierre Thomas
7. (70) Joseph Addai
8. (71) Matt Schaub
9. (90) Felix Jones
10. (91) Torry Holt
11. (110) Visanthe Shiancoe
12. (111) Chris Henry
13. (130) Ray Rice
14. (131) Trent Edwards
15. (150) Tampa Bay

I need a Kicker since I didn't draft one. Who would you drop for a kicker? I'm hesitant to drop any RB's since my RB core is weak and i'm hoping someone has a breakout year. It is a PPR league as well.

Opinions on who to drop?
You clearly cannot drop any of your top 8 guys in my opinion. You also have to keep the Tampa Bay defense, as they are your only D, and you needShiancoe as your TE.

This leaves you with: Felix Jones, Torry Holt, Chris Henry, Ray Rice, and Trent Edwards. Clearly you do not drop Rice, a starting RB, or Felix Jones due to hisupside.

Out of Chris Henry, Torry Holt or Trent Edwards? I think Edwards has to be the drop. I don't see you putting himover Schaub at any point. Holt is a #1 WR and Chris Henry has a lot of upside.

Back
Top Bottom