OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

I dunno either.

It would've made more sense to let Kershaw just try to finish the game out and throw 140 pitches than to put Broxton out there again.

Random, but I miss Yhency, guy was one of my favorites on the squad.
One of the best beer guts in baseball when he was a Dodger 
laugh.gif
.  He sucked though, he had a decent 2004, as a closer he wasn't that good.  He was never effective after the 2005 season.  He didn't do enough to be missed.

As far as Broxton goes, well, this is by no means a defense for him but what the @%%@ was Joe Torre thinking?

That 48 pitch outing had to be one of the most excruciating I have ever seen.  It was a slow painful painting in failure.  You can clearly tell after the Posada at bat that Broxton didn't have "his stuff".  He looked fatigued, and wasn't even finishing his delivery properly.  Everytimee they panned to Joe Torre and Rick Honeycutt, I wondered what were they thinking.  Where they thinking about a fatigued Broxton getting his ++# kick, or what to eat when the game was over.

Broxton didn't get the job done.  However, I can't entirely blame him.  They hung him out there, and even though Torre's bullpen management is terrible, he should have known that Broxton just didn't have it.

After Broxton's expected meltdown, who did Torre have left to use?

He couldn't use Belli or Kuo, all he had left was Troncoso and Sherrill.

I don't blame him for putting bum %%* brox in with a 4 run lead to save the game, I mean the game was on ESPN, vs the evil empire and the Dodgers had the chance to come out and win the series, what better opportunity would Brox have had?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

He couldn't use Belli or Kuo, all he had left was Troncoso and Sherrill.
I could see the reason for not using Kuo due to his injury history.

Once the save situation was killed, he should've gone with Troncoso, no need to use Broxton in a non save situation after getting a four out save the previous night.

Not only that, but once again Torre failed to read his scouting report and instead went with his outdated matchup system.  They should've left Troncoso in after getting that groundout.  Instead Sherrill, who has been garbage this season, gets the call against Robinson Cano.  Nobody told Torre that Cano hit's left handed pitchers better than right handed pitchers (.612 SLG), and you have to add the fact that Sherrill is throwing cantaloupes right now and it all equals a recipe for disaster.

Last nights loss is all on Torre.  Broxton is the lightning rod, but you can tell he didn't have it after that Posada at bat.  It is a managers job to know that and pull his pitcher, not leave him in there and struggle through a 48 pitch inning. 
smh.gif

We have several guys in the minors who could pitch effectively in the bullpen.

The problem is that Ned's dumb @$% traded a top prospect (even though Bell isn't doing great right now, he's still a top prospect) for Sherrill with the knowledge that his entire career he's had a good year, and then a bad year and that he would earn a closers salary in arbitration.

If it were anybody else they would be optioned to the minors.

Now we're probably about two more weeks of him pitching this horribly for him to be DFA'd and we'll have nothing to show for Bell and Johnson.

Lasts night lost is ALL on Torre, Ironman?

Stop it, there you go making excuses for Brox.

i HATE how joe torre uses his bullpen
i feel that he overly uses the arms and over-analyzes the match ups

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Him overusing bullpen guys was something he did a lot with the Yankees in 2004-2007.

He effectively ended the careers of Tom Gordon, Scott Proctor, Paul Quantrill, and Tanyon Sturtze.

Torre had always gone with the same three bullpen guys to get outs in late games rather than try to spread the innings more evenly with the rest of the pen.

i was giving it pretty good to the band wagon fans last night...

but i gotta say.. game was a pretty humbling expirence...now i know how non laker fans feels when the lakers come into their arena and half the crowd chants MVP for kobe..

these yanks, as much as i hate that team, are no joke.

i yelled out... WEST COVINA IS NOT A BOROUGH IN NEW YORK to some fans.. and got a few laughs..

totally felt like a playoff game.. i wanted them to win so bad.  the 9th and 10th inning were the worst innings i saw in person...ever.

Dudes in front of me were in Yankee fitteds shouting out BX! BX! while crossing their arms above their heads just I did while wrestling back in 5th grade

I asked em where theyre from: La Mirada

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Dudes in front of me were in Yankee fitteds shouting out BX! BX! while crossing their arms above their heads just I did while wrestling back in 5th grade

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Someone told me he saw someone in NY wearing ALL Dodgers gear on Friday: cap, shirt, pants, shoes, even his socks
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Him overusing bullpen guys was something he did a lot with the Yankees in 2004-2007.

He effectively ended the careers of Tom Gordon, Scott Proctor, Paul Quantrill, and Tanyon Sturtze.

Torre had always gone with the same three bullpen guys to get outs in late games rather than try to spread the innings more evenly with the rest of the pen.

tronocoso+wade
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Someone told me he saw someone in NY wearing ALL Dodgers gear on Friday: cap, shirt, pants, shoes, even his socks
laugh.gif

roll.gif
they was doin it
laugh.gif

Lasts night lost is ALL on Torre, Ironman?

Stop it, there you go making excuses for Brox.

grin.gif

I know you hate Broxton with a passion, but how can you let Torre off the hook.

Broxton didn't get the job done last night, period.  It doesn't mean he should've been left out there to fail.  By the end of the Posada at bat, Torre could've gone to Troncoso.  Now, I know that Troncoso has not been dependable (*cough* Torre's fault *cough*), but after the Posada at bat, you could clearly tell that Broxton was laboring.  It is his job to pull a pitcher that doesn't have "his stuff".  The 9th inning was brutally painful to watch, Broxton shouldn't have been left out there.  It's like letting a tired prize fighter in the ring to get his brains beat in.

This just gives the Broxton haters more ammo, which is fine since it is becoming almost laughable at this point....

It is summed up nicely on Dodger Thoughts:

Broxton Haters
I have to admit that thankfully, the tirade that comes from so many Dodger fans during the rare collapse by Jonathan Broxton has reached the point of amusing me more than upsetting me.

Prior to Sunday's game, Broxton had allowed one earned run in his previous 23 games (0.39 ERA) with no blown saves. In 33 games this season, he had allowed three earned runs and three inherited runs to score. He had surrendered two leads all year. He had over 50 percent more strikeouts than baserunners allowed.

But then the people come out and say none of this matters, because Broxton can't perform on the national stage when it counts. Even though he had performed on the national stage in an identical situation one night before.

The people come out and say none of this matters, because Broxton can't perform in the postseason. Even though he has in all but two games. Even though six of the other seven 2009 playoff teams saw their closer give up a lead in last year's postseason. Yep – every closer but Mariano Rivera blew a postseason game last year. (Rivera got his out of the way in earlier years.)

Really, you just have to laugh. People say I'm too quick to defend Broxton, but really, it's just so easy to do it. Where are all these other closers who never have a bad game? Where are they? Name one closer in baseball besides Rivera who is better than Broxton.
Bottom line is when Broxton leaves after the 2010/11 season, it will be a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

Dodger fans were spoiled by Eric Gagne.  Saito was average, but he was a fan favorite.

*sigh of relief* Buster Posey strikes out against Kuo.  It was looking like another9th inning meltdown.

GAME OVER!

Back
Top Bottom