5863920.jpg

5851370.jpg
5851368.jpg

5851364.jpg

tony wroten wearing air jordan xi concords against oregon

Oregon hyperfuse p.e.'s
pimp.gif

o8hshj.jpg

Ok, so here is the deal with kicks the players get throughout the season. Generally speaking, the team will get the Nike specific team shoes (hyperdunk, kobe's, hyperfuse) as team issued gear. Of course, the equipment room will have some leftovers from the year which can also go to the players. As the season progresses Nike will send out some of the newer styles to some of the teams. Then, when the conference tourneys start they might send out another shipment (a la what Nike did during the Big East tourney when the Air Force 1 turned 25). Once, the NCAA tournament starts each team will get a "special" colorway from Nike basically as a gift for making the tourney. I also know a few years ago when Duke, Butler, WVU, and Michigan State made the Final Four, each player got a pair of Kobe's that I believe are black and grey with a white sole that you couldn't get anywhere. I believe Devin Ebanks wore them for the Duke game.

There are also places like Oregon that will get certain shoes and gear with their logo on it.  The same goes for their non-revenue sports as well. They are essentially Nike's test dummy for a lot of their products. Now, Kentucky got LBJ's last year that you couldn't find. That is just a special makeup for that make specifically for the players of that school. You'll rarely see a team like Rutgers or Iowa with a special colorway unless they are ID's. I'm not exactly sure how the whole ID's work for each school.

Now, as far as the Jordan Brand schools go, a lot of retros that the guys wear will be out of their own collection. I highly doubt Tony Wroten (and many others) is paying for his Jordan's but they aren't team issued (let's just leave it at that). The JB schools will get a special pair based on them making the NCAA tourney like you saw with the Cal and UNC 2011's you saw on the previous page. I believe Georgetown and Marquette got similar ones as well.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Originally Posted by AKA LONGSTROKE

First you said...
Originally Posted by DNeou20

jordan schools get those team jordans free along with like running shoes or whatnot, but retros and other shoes are from their own pocket/collection
...then you said...

DNeou20 wrote:
...now you say...
DNeou20 wrote:
what i meant is like sporatic retros. of course they'll get PEs of that year's model, and on occasion that year's retros...
MJ/Nike/JB also know which teams have potential to be championship caliber teams so they also hook em up with that year's retros in a PE colorway...

as for the oregon 3s, have u not heard of the football team for the past few years? phil knight has the hookups and is treating hte players.

..so I think it's safe to say that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Have a good one.

wannabe ekins lol
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hoops4hire

Ok, so here is the deal with kicks the players get throughout the season. Generally speaking, the team will get the Nike specific team shoes (hyperdunk, kobe's, hyperfuse) as team issued gear. Of course, the equipment room will have some leftovers from the year which can also go to the players. As the season progresses Nike will send out some of the newer styles to some of the teams. Then, when the conference tourneys start they might send out another shipment (a la what Nike did during the Big East tourney when the Air Force 1 turned 25). Once, the NCAA tournament starts each team will get a "special" colorway from Nike basically as a gift for making the tourney. I also know a few years ago when Duke, Butler, WVU, and Michigan State made the Final Four, each player got a pair of Kobe's that I believe are black and grey with a white sole that you couldn't get anywhere. I believe Devin Ebanks wore them for the Duke game.

There are also places like Oregon that will get certain shoes and gear with their logo on it.  The same goes for their non-revenue sports as well. They are essentially Nike's test dummy for a lot of their products. Now, Kentucky got LBJ's last year that you couldn't find. That is just a special makeup for that make specifically for the players of that school. You'll rarely see a team like Rutgers or Iowa with a special colorway unless they are ID's. I'm not exactly sure how the whole ID's work for each school.

Now, as far as the Jordan Brand schools go, a lot of retros that the guys wear will be out of their own collection. I highly doubt Tony Wroten (and many others) is paying for his Jordan's but they aren't team issued (let's just leave it at that). The JB schools will get a special pair based on them making the NCAA tourney like you saw with the Cal and UNC 2011's you saw on the previous page. I believe Georgetown and Marquette got similar ones as well.

I hope this clears up the confusion.
There is a tier system in regard to who gets what. Depending on the profile of the school, that is who'll get the majority of product from sneaker companies. High profile Nike endorsed schools like UNC and Duke will have more product thrown at them due to television exposure, then appearances in tournaments. Looking at preseason tournaments and games such as the Maui Classic, Nike prepares for those tourneys by having a special makeup of their platform shoe to drum up interest,
AIRCRAFTdress-articleLarge.jpg

in the upcoming release.

Kids on these teams are thrown product by Nike and Jordan brand. Back when I played, we were given three pairs of shoes at the beginning of the season. There also was no retro craze back then either. If needed, which often wasn't, as the shoes were made of high quality leather back then, then took the whole preseason and practice to break in, we had to go to the assistant coach and trainer to get another pair. 

Now my nephew who plays for Cal, he has at least fifteen pairs of kicks in his dorm room, all Jordan Brand special makeups, with retro's thrown in the mix.

I know for a fact that he didn't pay for any of them, then didn't have any personal collection before he went there, as he is not into kicks like that. In fact, he'll wear one pair for many games, until they break down.

At least most schools get the freedom to wear kicks from their personal stash. At UVM, players must wear the team issued sneakers. 
Shame too, because those white/green Jordan XIVs they released a while back would go perfect with our away jerseys.
Boston_v_Vermont+20110227_019.jpg

At Washington, a Nike school, many players just use team-issued kicks that they don't have to pay for.  This amounts to the players receiving top of the line performance gear to play in, and Nike being able to advertise this gear to the rest of us on Washington players.  It's a mutually beneficial relationship (though Nike certainly comes out on top when we start buying the gear).  The players do have access to Swoosh.com, and are able to grab some Jordans at decent prices out of their own (or someone's) pocket.

Isaiah Thomas' Jordans (he's with Reebok now that he's in the NBA) were all out-of-pocket and not provided free by Nike/JB.  In fact, IT was known to frequent Nike outlets in North Bend and Centralia looking for decent pick-ups like the rest of us. 

Same deal goes for Tony Wroten Jr., though he's got more hangers-on around him than IT did (i.e. you won't see Wroten driving around in his suspiciously too-nice-for-a-college-student-car to find bargains on shoes when his hangers-on "gift" him brand new XI concords).  

However, Seattle-area athletes have a tight network of connections with each other, including many pros.  This includes players like Jason Terry, IT, Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford, Spencer Hawes, Terrence Williams, Marvin Williams, Nate Robinson, and several Seattle Seahawks.  The well-established athletes look out for the less-established athletes in the name of loyalty to the 206 network.

If shoes are special makeup - like all the JB schools get then obviously the kids don't have to pay for them but the Concords or the True Blue 3's aren't those type of shoes. UNC wore the Concords back when Julius Peppers played for them but that was a super rare occasion where a team all got a pair. I would say that each scholarship (some non-scholarship) players will get at least five pairs of sneakers per season). When Beilein was at WVU, he had an allotment based off of the tier system. That allotment did not include special colorways that they received for Big East and/or NCAA tourney. Now, with a whole school Nike deal they have gotten a lot more gear.

And yes, it is great advertising.

Does anyone remember when Melo wore the Retro 9's in the first couple of games playing for 'Cuse? I believe they were the same ones that came out within the past year. JB definitely sent those to him, no one else on the team had those. Same type of things for LBJ when he was in high school.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Tony got a few of the pairs he's been wearing from IT when he left (Wheat XIII, Playoff XIII, Anniversary XI)

Originally Posted by hoops4hire

If shoes are special makeup - like all the JB schools get then obviously the kids don't have to pay for them but the Concords or the True Blue 3's aren't those type of shoes. UNC wore the Concords back when Julius Peppers played for them but that was a super rare occasion where a team all got a pair. And yes, it is great advertising.

Does anyone remember when Melo wore the Retro 9's in the first couple of games playing for 'Cuse? I believe they were the same ones that came out within the past year. JB definitely sent those to him, no one else on the team had those. Same type of things for LBJ when he was in high school.
Melo got the 9's at Oak Hill. He wore them there before Syracuse

Thanks, I was posting from my BB at the game so I didn't have access to any pics at the time.

Back
Top Bottom