Official 2011 Wimbledon Thread (vol. start on the last page)

Roddick is an average player with an above average weapon. He's done the best he can do but once player gets him into a rally he has a hard time winning. Roddick's lone slam victory was a product of a very favorable draw and crowd interference. There is no way he wins that semi finals match without the crowd getting involved. His issue is a talent one, nothing more or less.

The US media was looking for their successor to Andre and Pete, and at that time, the rising star was Roddick. He had a strong serve and they thought it was enough (or that the rest would fall into place). Looking at his draw back in 2003, he definitely had a favorable draw, but I don't want to take anything away from him cuz he probably played well too (I don't remember the specifics). The thing is, had Agassi beat Ferrero (dunno how he lost that one) and made the final, I think he would have beaten Roddick. Unfortunately for Roddick though, his 4 other GS appearances were against... Federer... ha.

The US media was looking for their successor to Andre and Pete, and at that time, the rising star was Roddick. He had a strong serve and they thought it was enough (or that the rest would fall into place). Looking at his draw back in 2003, he definitely had a favorable draw, but I don't want to take anything away from him cuz he probably played well too (I don't remember the specifics). The thing is, had Agassi beat Ferrero (dunno how he lost that one) and made the final, I think he would have beaten Roddick. Unfortunately for Roddick though, his 4 other GS appearances were against... Federer... ha.

Well, the tourney has begun!

I like Maria's chances. Hard to count out Kim, but with her wedding-dance ankle injury and having limited match-time, I can't see how she'll go deep into the 2nd week. Caro will have a good run, but I don't think she's there yet. Wild card goes to Julia Goerges. I also want to see Ana have a good tournament.

As for the guys, it's really Rafa and Nole, of course. Based on "current form", its Nole, but this is Roland Garros... how dare I pick Nole over Rafa, who is a different player at this tournament. I also think Murray will make a strong run.

Well, the tourney has begun!

I like Maria's chances. Hard to count out Kim, but with her wedding-dance ankle injury and having limited match-time, I can't see how she'll go deep into the 2nd week. Caro will have a good run, but I don't think she's there yet. Wild card goes to Julia Goerges. I also want to see Ana have a good tournament.

As for the guys, it's really Rafa and Nole, of course. Based on "current form", its Nole, but this is Roland Garros... how dare I pick Nole over Rafa, who is a different player at this tournament. I also think Murray will make a strong run.

Djoker had an easy 1st round win over De Barker, while Fed's on court right now against Lopez... tricky.
Anyway, their gear... incidentally, Fed is still wearing the Zoom Vapor 6's... 

Djoker had an easy 1st round win over De Barker, while Fed's on court right now against Lopez... tricky.
Anyway, their gear... incidentally, Fed is still wearing the Zoom Vapor 6's... 

Those Nikes are DOPE.

Garcia is Thrashing Sharipova
pimp.gif

What happened to Kim? I saw the last couple of games of the 3rd, but she looked completely out of it. Didn't she have match point too? 
30t6p3b.gif

What happened to Kim? I saw the last couple of games of the 3rd, but she looked completely out of it. Didn't she have match point too? 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

30t6p3b.gif
Lack of match-play, court time and mentally not there. She's been injured over the past few months. Sprained her ankle... wait for it... dancing at a wedding.
30t6p3b.gif

She did have MP's I think, but mentally couldn't close it out.

Also, I think ESPN had some "experts" choose Kim to win it all... Anyone who was following tennis knew it would have been a tough task given her lack of clay-court season preparation. Don't know what they were thinking and frankly, its a complete dis to the rest of the WTA.

Speaking of mentally, Maria's comeback was pretty huge. Serious toughness right there. As well as for Rafa... despite being a straight-sets win, it was a really tough match. He's had 2 tough matches already!

Delpo vs Djoker today... should be great.

EDIT ~ One of the luckiest shots you'll ever see.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

30t6p3b.gif
Lack of match-play, court time and mentally not there. She's been injured over the past few months. Sprained her ankle... wait for it... dancing at a wedding.
30t6p3b.gif

She did have MP's I think, but mentally couldn't close it out.

Also, I think ESPN had some "experts" choose Kim to win it all... Anyone who was following tennis knew it would have been a tough task given her lack of clay-court season preparation. Don't know what they were thinking and frankly, its a complete dis to the rest of the WTA.

Speaking of mentally, Maria's comeback was pretty huge. Serious toughness right there. As well as for Rafa... despite being a straight-sets win, it was a really tough match. He's had 2 tough matches already!

Delpo vs Djoker today... should be great.

EDIT ~ One of the luckiest shots you'll ever see.

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

2rr86e1.jpg

tongue.gif
Who's that?  Looks nice.  
smokin.gif

Are the days of people thinking Maria's hot over?  She's always been average to me.  Average face and big, square shoulders.  I think so much attention was paid to her when she first started because there weren't any other decent looking players.

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

2rr86e1.jpg

tongue.gif
Who's that?  Looks nice.  
smokin.gif

Are the days of people thinking Maria's hot over?  She's always been average to me.  Average face and big, square shoulders.  I think so much attention was paid to her when she first started because there weren't any other decent looking players.

^ that's Aranxta Rus, the lady who beat Kim... 
I wouldn't get too excited though.

ap-201105260633236372652.jpg

As for Maria, I don't know about the US, but I think shes been just as popular as she was in past years in the rest of the world.  She was injured over the past year or so, so no doubt there's been less of her in the media.  I'm sure there were some other 'pretty' players a few years ago (like Kournikova), so I don't think it's entirely fair to say there weren't any other decent looking players at the time.  And lets not forget, Maria's substance to back her popularity up too... 3 grand slam titles...

There's certainly a good selection of lady players right now... looks-wise. 

^ that's Aranxta Rus, the lady who beat Kim... 
I wouldn't get too excited though.

ap-201105260633236372652.jpg

As for Maria, I don't know about the US, but I think shes been just as popular as she was in past years in the rest of the world.  She was injured over the past year or so, so no doubt there's been less of her in the media.  I'm sure there were some other 'pretty' players a few years ago (like Kournikova), so I don't think it's entirely fair to say there weren't any other decent looking players at the time.  And lets not forget, Maria's substance to back her popularity up too... 3 grand slam titles...

There's certainly a good selection of lady players right now... looks-wise. 

Back
Top Bottom