Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by offbad

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

is alex still a niner?
Q: What level of interest in Alex Smith do you expect throughout the league during free agency? @vincentrm
Matt Maiocco: Smith will not return to the 49ers. (That decision is equal parts his and the 49ers.) He was the league's 21st-rated passer. His statistics have gradually improved every season he has seen significant action in the NFL. He'll turn 27 before next season, so he still has some years ahead of him. Smith will have multiple options in 2011 -- and he might even get a chance somewhere to compete for a starting job.

hopeful.

but i'll believe it when i see it

I look forward to the day where Smith gets cut so I can post a "I ain't even mad pic"

I look forward to the day where Smith gets cut so I can post a "I ain't even mad pic"

[h1][/h1]
[h1]For those still wondering: It’s au revoir, Alex[/h1]
Posted on January 18, 2011 by Eric Branch

Given Jim Harbaugh’s reputation as the Quarterback Whisperer and Alex Smith’s reputation for occasional flashes of brilliance, a certain segment of Niners fans are still wondering: Could the Alex Smith Experiment be renewed for a seventh season?

The answer: No.

That’s not my opinion.

It sure sounds like that’s what general manager Trent Baalke said during two radio interviews last week.

For starters, Baalke said this to NBC’s Mike Florio: “Is the quarterback of the future on this roster? I think it’s obvious that he isn’t at this point.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]For those still wondering: It’s au revoir, Alex[/h1]
Posted on January 18, 2011 by Eric Branch

Given Jim Harbaugh’s reputation as the Quarterback Whisperer and Alex Smith’s reputation for occasional flashes of brilliance, a certain segment of Niners fans are still wondering: Could the Alex Smith Experiment be renewed for a seventh season?

The answer: No.

That’s not my opinion.

It sure sounds like that’s what general manager Trent Baalke said during two radio interviews last week.

For starters, Baalke said this to NBC’s Mike Florio: “Is the quarterback of the future on this roster? I think it’s obvious that he isn’t at this point.

laugh.gif
Pretty much threw Alex (to a lesser extent Troy) under the bus with those comments.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Sources: Carson Palmer wants trade[/h1]

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive

Carson Palmer will ask the Cincinnati Bengals to trade him and will contemplate retirement if he does not get his wish, according to several sources.

Palmer, the No. 1 overall pick by the Bengals in 2003, was unavailable for comment as he and his wife Shaelynn were awaiting the birth of their third child.

A Bengals spokesman had no comment. The team has Palmer under contract through 2014.

Palmer has become the object of fan frustration in the past two years and sources said he has grown frustrated with the team's inconsistencies. The Bengals finished 4-12 in 2010.

Sources familiar with Palmer's plan and mindset said he is financially secure for the rest of his life and willing to follow through and retire.

Several teams will be in the market for quarterbacks this offseason. Seattle will have an opening at quarterback if the Seahawks can't re-sign Matt Hasselbeck. Palmer won the Heisman Trophy for now-Seahawks coach Pete Carroll at USC in 2002. San Francisco, where his wife was raised, and Arizona could also be options.

Palmer suffered a major knee injury in a first-round playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at the end of the 2005 season. He also suffered an elbow injury in 2008 and considered Tommy John surgery before choosing to rehab without having the operation.

I could live w/ palmer for a year or 2

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Sources: Carson Palmer wants trade[/h1]

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive

Carson Palmer will ask the Cincinnati Bengals to trade him and will contemplate retirement if he does not get his wish, according to several sources.

Palmer, the No. 1 overall pick by the Bengals in 2003, was unavailable for comment as he and his wife Shaelynn were awaiting the birth of their third child.

A Bengals spokesman had no comment. The team has Palmer under contract through 2014.

Palmer has become the object of fan frustration in the past two years and sources said he has grown frustrated with the team's inconsistencies. The Bengals finished 4-12 in 2010.

Sources familiar with Palmer's plan and mindset said he is financially secure for the rest of his life and willing to follow through and retire.

Several teams will be in the market for quarterbacks this offseason. Seattle will have an opening at quarterback if the Seahawks can't re-sign Matt Hasselbeck. Palmer won the Heisman Trophy for now-Seahawks coach Pete Carroll at USC in 2002. San Francisco, where his wife was raised, and Arizona could also be options.

Palmer suffered a major knee injury in a first-round playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at the end of the 2005 season. He also suffered an elbow injury in 2008 and considered Tommy John surgery before choosing to rehab without having the operation.

I could live w/ palmer for a year or 2

[h1]49ers: Jim Harbaugh doesn't slam door on Alex Smith era[/h1]
Jim Harbaugh's coaching makeover stopped short of a complete overhaul. He announced Friday that he would retain four assistants from last season's 49ers staff.

Defensive-line coach Jim Tomsula, running-backs coach Tom Rathman, offensive-line coach Mike Solari and assistant offensive-line coach Ray Brown will stick around for another season.

In a surprising twist, Harbaugh left the door open to retain his quarterback as well. After a recent conversation with Alex Smith, the coach did not rule out the possibility that the soon-to-be free agent would re-sign in San Francisco.

It's an unlikely match -- Smith said at season's end that he was eager to explore other options -- but Harbaugh remained open-minded.

"I'm not into absolutes and 'alwayses' and 'nevers' -- those kind of bold statements," the coach said. "My part is an evaluation. And that will be of Alex and our football team. That's the neat thing about being the head coach -- you get to coach them all. You get to evaluate them and be a part of the team evaluation."

He said Smith is just part of a "whole landscape" of quarterback options, which extends to draft prospects as well as passers available via trade or free agency.

Asked whether the team needed an elite quarterback, Harbaugh was taken aback.

"Do we need a top-flight quarterback. Do human beings need air to breathe?" he said, chuckling.

Speaking to the beat writers for the first time

Advertisement

since his hiring Jan. 7, Harbaugh talked mostly about the evolution of his new coaching staff. Along with announcing which coaches would stick around, Harbaugh introduced two new faces Friday. Ejiro Evero signed on as a quality-control coach, and Brad Seely reached an agreement to become the special-teams coach.
Evero, a former standout defensive back at UC Davis, spent last season as the University of Redlands special-teams coordinator and safeties coach. Seely, who replaces Kurt Schottenheimer, spent the past two seasons in the same role for the Cleveland Browns special teams.

Two weeks after Harbaugh's hiring, his staff is nearly set. All that remains, he said, is "possibly a secondary coach or another linebacker coach."

He will also have to iron out how Solari and Brown will mesh with Tim Drevno, whom Harbaugh brought with him from Stanford to coach the offensive line.

The plan calls for Solari and Drevno to coach the entire offensive line, while Brown focuses on tight ends and tackles. New offensive coordinator Greg Roman will also work with tight ends.

Why so many cooks? Harbaugh noted that a typical training camp could have more than a dozen tight ends and tackles.

"We want to make sure that everyone's getting coached," he said. "It's a scorched-earth approach to coaching. Starters, backups, developmental guys -- we really want to have that area coached well."

Harbaugh stressed several times that he is still in evaluation mode when it comes to his roster. He has met with some players in person at 49ers headquarters and has tracked down others by phone.

His meeting with Smith was face to face. Harbaugh described the communication as "positive."

"I don't want to speak for Alex, but he strikes me as someone that's open," he said. "But his vision for himself, his vision for how that relates to the 49ers, I think is . . . He's going through the process in his mind."

.........forreal?

sick.gif

Jim Harbaugh's coaching makeover stopped short of a complete overhaul. He announced Friday that he would retain four assistants from last season's 49ers staff.

Defensive-line coach Jim Tomsula, running-backs coach Tom Rathman, offensive-line coach Mike Solari and assistant offensive-line coach Ray Brown will stick around for another season.

In a surprising twist, Harbaugh left the door open to retain his quarterback as well. After a recent conversation with Alex Smith, the coach did not rule out the possibility that the soon-to-be free agent would re-sign in San Francisco.

It's an unlikely match -- Smith said at season's end that he was eager to explore other options -- but Harbaugh remained open-minded.

"I'm not into absolutes and 'alwayses' and 'nevers' -- those kind of bold statements," the coach said. "My part is an evaluation. And that will be of Alex and our football team. That's the neat thing about being the head coach -- you get to coach them all. You get to evaluate them and be a part of the team evaluation."

He said Smith is just part of a "whole landscape" of quarterback options, which extends to draft prospects as well as passers available via trade or free agency.

"Do we need a top-flight quarterback. Do human beings need air to breathe?" he said, chuckling.

Advertisement

since his hiring Jan. 7, Harbaugh talked mostly about the evolution of his new coaching staff. Along with announcing which coaches would stick around, Harbaugh introduced two new faces Friday. Ejiro Evero signed on as a quality-control coach, and Brad Seely reached an agreement to become the special-teams coach.
Evero, a former standout defensive back at UC Davis, spent last season as the University of Redlands special-teams coordinator and safeties coach. Seely, who replaces Kurt Schottenheimer, spent the past two seasons in the same role for the Cleveland Browns special teams.

Two weeks after Harbaugh's hiring, his staff is nearly set. All that remains, he said, is "possibly a secondary coach or another linebacker coach."

He will also have to iron out how Solari and Brown will mesh with Tim Drevno, whom Harbaugh brought with him from Stanford to coach the offensive line.

The plan calls for Solari and Drevno to coach the entire offensive line, while Brown focuses on tight ends and tackles. New offensive coordinator Greg Roman will also work with tight ends.

Why so many cooks? Harbaugh noted that a typical training camp could have more than a dozen tight ends and tackles.

"We want to make sure that everyone's getting coached," he said. "It's a scorched-earth approach to coaching. Starters, backups, developmental guys -- we really want to have that area coached well."

Harbaugh stressed several times that he is still in evaluation mode when it comes to his roster. He has met with some players in person at 49ers headquarters and has tracked down others by phone.

His meeting with Smith was face to face. Harbaugh described the communication as "positive."

"I don't want to speak for Alex, but he strikes me as someone that's open," he said. "But his vision for himself, his vision for how that relates to the 49ers, I think is . . . He's going through the process in his mind."

.........forreal?

sick.gif

Advertisement

.........forreal?

sick.gif

indifferent.gif

id take carson

Advertisement

.........forreal?

sick.gif

indifferent.gif

id take carson

Back
Top Bottom