Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

@AdamSchefter 49ers free agent DT Aubrayo Franklin is flying to SF tonight. For a "visit".

@AdamSchefter 49ers free agent DT Aubrayo Franklin is flying to SF tonight. For a "visit".

@MaioccoCSN DT Aubrayo Franklin will meet with 49ers coaches Mon. > The market might allow the 49ers to retain him, after all.

@MaioccoCSN 49ers' Adam Snyder playing center for now. With Bears moving on w/out Olin Kreutz, we could find out in next 45 minutes if 49ers land him.

@MaioccoCSN DT Aubrayo Franklin will meet with 49ers coaches Mon. > The market might allow the 49ers to retain him, after all.

@MaioccoCSN 49ers' Adam Snyder playing center for now. With Bears moving on w/out Olin Kreutz, we could find out in next 45 minutes if 49ers land him.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Neither is Franklin, genius. Both are undersized DTs, but guess what? Franklin was effective.

So 315+ is undersized for a DT? And Franklin is strong as well

And who's to say Fairley wouldn't have been? You don't have to be big you just have to be quick off the line, and Franklin was. So did you just not watch Nick Fairley play last year?

Every draft analyst had Fairley graded as a 43 DT find me someone legit who said he could play the nose. I watched Fairley a ton, I watch more CFB than you could probably fathom. I live in the SE our world revolves around CFB watch from noon til midnight on Saturday plus week day games. He played in a 43 and used his quickness to penetrate gaps.

A nose in a 34 needs to occupy blockers. He has to take on double teams every single play (and require the help blocker to stay on him). The whole point of the DL is to occupy blockers so OL can't can't get up to the next level and get a hat on the LBs. LBs make plays in a 34. Fairley is a prototypical UT in a 43. The quick pass rusher from the inside.

And Houston passing on Amukamara doesn't say anything about him, them drafting Watt says they want to have a monster D-line. Being able to defend the pass starts up front!

If Prince was a shut down corner you don't pass on him. Straight up. It's ok for Houston to want to build up front but the Niners take Aldon and it's all of a sudden a bad pick. Can't have hit both ways.

And that's what Houston is doing. Sounds to me like you're hating because I'm agreeing with What Up.

I'm hating because you don't know what you're talking about. I have no problem with a legit argument. I appreciate well though out arguments based on logic and facts. Saying "shut the %$#! up" isn't a valid response. It's what you say when you have nothing to counter with.

In your case you'd be better off saying that. You want quick DTs to play the nose in your 34?
laugh.gif
Wilfork, Casey Hampton, Kris Jenkins (I know he retired), Ryan Pickett, all known for their quickness right?
laugh.gif
It's about being strong at the point of attack and being able to maintain double teams.

Yet you want to preach building through the draft, team success doesn't solely rely on the draft. Teams need veteran players with experience to help mentor the young players, dummy.

You don't build solely through the draft, learn to read. You build through the draft and plug your few holes with FA's.

Look at the great teams in this league and look at the starters they drafted.

NE-Brady, Light, Mankins, Koppen, Connley (PS), Wilfork, Butler, Mayo, Guyton (UDFA) (or Spikes), Chung/Sanders, etc
PIT- Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Ward, Miller, Mike Wallace, etc

Of the top of the head but you get the idea.

Getting Nnamdi wasn't an unrealistic option, he said before he wanted to stay in Oakland. They just decided to not re-sign him. Or do you not remember that?

Are we Oakland? So because he wanted to be in Oakland, SF was a legit destination for him? Solid logic.

It's clear to see you would fail as a GM. And fail miserably.

Of course I would 99.999999 % of people would, is that supposed to be an insult? I'd probably be better than you at least.

I really can't believe I responded to all of that but I did. Now I'm done arguing this for good.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Neither is Franklin, genius. Both are undersized DTs, but guess what? Franklin was effective.

And who's to say Fairley wouldn't have been? You don't have to be big you just have to be quick off the line, and Franklin was. So did you just not watch Nick Fairley play last year?

Every draft analyst had Fairley graded as a 43 DT find me someone legit who said he could play the nose. I watched Fairley a ton, I watch more CFB than you could probably fathom. I live in the SE our world revolves around CFB watch from noon til midnight on Saturday plus week day games. He played in a 43 and used his quickness to penetrate gaps.

A nose in a 34 needs to occupy blockers. He has to take on double teams every single play (and require the help blocker to stay on him). The whole point of the DL is to occupy blockers so OL can't can't get up to the next level and get a hat on the LBs. LBs make plays in a 34. Fairley is a prototypical UT in a 43. The quick pass rusher from the inside.

And Houston passing on Amukamara doesn't say anything about him, them drafting Watt says they want to have a monster D-line. Being able to defend the pass starts up front!

If Prince was a shut down corner you don't pass on him. Straight up. It's ok for Houston to want to build up front but the Niners take Aldon and it's all of a sudden a bad pick. Can't have hit both ways.

And that's what Houston is doing. Sounds to me like you're hating because I'm agreeing with What Up.

I'm hating because you don't know what you're talking about. I have no problem with a legit argument. I appreciate well though out arguments based on logic and facts. Saying "shut the %$#! up" isn't a valid response. It's what you say when you have nothing to counter with.

In your case you'd be better off saying that. You want quick DTs to play the nose in your 34?
laugh.gif
Wilfork, Casey Hampton, Kris Jenkins (I know he retired), Ryan Pickett, all known for their quickness right?
laugh.gif
It's about being strong at the point of attack and being able to maintain double teams.

Yet you want to preach building through the draft, team success doesn't solely rely on the draft. Teams need veteran players with experience to help mentor the young players, dummy.

You don't build solely through the draft, learn to read. You build through the draft and plug your few holes with FA's.

NE-Brady, Light, Mankins, Koppen, Connley (PS), Wilfork, Butler, Mayo, Guyton (UDFA) (or Spikes), Chung/Sanders, etc

Of the top of the head but you get the idea.

Getting Nnamdi wasn't an unrealistic option, he said before he wanted to stay in Oakland. They just decided to not re-sign him. Or do you not remember that?

Are we Oakland? So because he wanted to be in Oakland, SF was a legit destination for him? Solid logic.

It's clear to see you would fail as a GM. And fail miserably.

Of course I would 99.999999 % of people would, is that supposed to be an insult? I'd probably be better than you at least.

I really can't believe I responded to all of that but I did. Now I'm done arguing this for good.

No, 6'1" is undersized. Take a look at some OL from just our division:

Levi Brown 6'6"
Russell Okung 6'5"
Max Unger 6'5"
Rodger Saffold 6'5"
Jason Smith 6'5"

And all of them are 300+ lbs. Point is, all linemen are strong, smart guy. You can't play that position if you're not.

Just because he's better at 43 than 34 doesn't mean he can't play 34 effectively. And you don't have to be a blob to command double teams, quickness can do the same.

Not true at all. Houston knew what they wanted to do and they did it. Plus, there were going to be good DBs in this FA class so they could easily pass on Prince despite him being a shut down corner. And NOBODY had Aldon Smith in the Top 10. Some had Cameron Jordan, some had Robert Quinn. None had Aldon Smith. If they really wanted him they should've traded down.

So CB and DT aren't holes? There's not a position on the 49ers besides MLB that isn't a hole.

Did they not get quality FA's every year until these guys were ready?

We were a team on the rise after '08 and '09 and we had money to offer. Winning culture and money? Hmm, seems to me he just wanted to stay in the Bay.

And of those 99.999999% you'd be the only one to sit on your hands and not try to sign free agents, that's what makes you worse than everyone else. With that logic, you would most definitely not be better than me.

No, 6'1" is undersized. Take a look at some OL from just our division:

Levi Brown 6'6"
Russell Okung 6'5"
Max Unger 6'5"
Rodger Saffold 6'5"
Jason Smith 6'5"

And all of them are 300+ lbs. Point is, all linemen are strong, smart guy. You can't play that position if you're not.

Just because he's better at 43 than 34 doesn't mean he can't play 34 effectively. And you don't have to be a blob to command double teams, quickness can do the same.

Not true at all. Houston knew what they wanted to do and they did it. Plus, there were going to be good DBs in this FA class so they could easily pass on Prince despite him being a shut down corner. And NOBODY had Aldon Smith in the Top 10. Some had Cameron Jordan, some had Robert Quinn. None had Aldon Smith. If they really wanted him they should've traded down.

So CB and DT aren't holes? There's not a position on the 49ers besides MLB that isn't a hole.

Did they not get quality FA's every year until these guys were ready?

We were a team on the rise after '08 and '09 and we had money to offer. Winning culture and money? Hmm, seems to me he just wanted to stay in the Bay.

And of those 99.999999% you'd be the only one to sit on your hands and not try to sign free agents, that's what makes you worse than everyone else. With that logic, you would most definitely not be better than me.

Back
Top Bottom