Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

What? Delpo injured? 
eyes.gif

Tsonga is puttin in SERIOUS work right now...

The question is, whether he can finish it out like this...

We all know too well players of Djoki's calibre are able to come back strong...

He's had a knee-issue all tournament long. Finally got the better of him in the 3rd...

I only got to catch the final set of Federer's come back. good to see.

Tsonga had his chances to put Novak away in the 4th. Going to take some true mental toughness to knock him out now...

Just. Incredible. Tennis.
I didn't catch any of the FedDelpo match, but I guess sets 3-5 were pretty much given-away by Delpo, with his knee?  Hear Fed told the pro-Fed French crowd to shut-up and swore at them as well? 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Just. Incredible. Tennis.
I didn't catch any of the FedDelpo match, but I guess sets 3-5 were pretty much given-away by Delpo, with his knee?  Hear Fed told the pro-Fed French crowd to shut-up and swore at them as well? 
nerd.gif
Why?

Djoki is a true champion right there...

To pull yourself together after 2 bad sets is the mark of a champion... 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Feel bad for Tsonga, just didn't have the know-how to pull that one out against someone as good as Novak.

What. A. Match.

Amazing effort by Tsonga, but that 4th really killed him... so many match points. Incredible match.

I think someone screamed-out mid rally and it affected Fed... resulting in him yelling shut-up.
As for the swearing, I think it was his frustration cuz he made a lot of errors.
Shut-up @ 0:42

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Feel bad for Tsonga, just didn't have the know-how to pull that one out against someone as good as Novak.

This. It was a great match though. Roland Garros was about to go ape @$%# if he could have only gotten one of those match points
ohwell.gif

Just came back from RG, saw matches on June 1 and 4.  It was absolutely freezing in PC during the Murray-Gasquet match.

Totally unlucky with the schedule though: had ticket for SL on the 1st, saw Sharapova and Ivanovic play, but Federer was playing in PC.  Left near the end of the Wawrinka-Simon match, because at that point the match was already almost 4 hours long, so I didn't get to see Nole.  Had ticket for the 4th in PC, saw the Murray-Gasquet match, but Nadal was playing in SL, destroying Monaco 2-love-love.

Great atmosphere, but OMG is everything expensive when you're at the grounds.

Peace

WOW, that's awesome. What a great experience... to be at a grand-slam.

How does the ticketing work? Do you buy tickets for specific courts for specific days? Like June 4th, PC... and you get to watch all the matches on PC for that day?

Share your photos if you've got em!

^I'll try and get them up asap.  As for ticketing, PM me your private email and I'll let you know how it works.

Peace

As promised, pics from Roland Garros 2012:

Ivanovic
devil.gif

rs7gq9.jpg

Sharapova (totally on a roll to win it all)

2meye5w.jpg

Berdych on the big screen

mmqzqt.jpg

Big screen on Court No. 1 stadium

34qmc1j.jpg

Murray-Gasquet in Court PC.  During breaks, people can come and go, i.e. leave the stadium.  That's why it can look really empty at times, especially if it's not a very exciting match (1st, 2nd rounds, last singles ladies match of the evening, etc.).

30djfvb.jpg

Last pic of me in Paris at the Trocadero rockin' OL AJ I's:

ux57a.jpg

Peace

As requested #2: ticketing:

There are different kinds of tickets you can get for RG. I bought all-day tickets for SL (June 1) and PC (June 4). It basically allows you to see all the matches at the respective stadium on that respective date. At this stage of the French Open (3rd and 4th rounds), the matches started at 11:00am and - barring a rain delay or play suspended due to darkness - go until around 8:00pm. It was still rather light outside at 9:00pm in Paris on June 1, but the fact that the Wawrinka-Simon match was taking forever, the Djokovic match was still good to go until completion. They moved the Azarenka-Wozniak match to Court No. 1 (I think) because all scheduled matches prior were completed there, so instead of moving it to the next day, they played it in Court No. 1 and it was done in about an hour.

It#s not that difficult to get tickets for the French Open. Unlike Wimbledon (AO and US Open I don't know so I can't say), it's easier to get tickets because it's available to the public and (at least for me), it's in the Euro zone, so I didn't have to deal with €-GBP exchange rates. There are a handful of different tickets you can get to see RG, so it's best to check their website.

If I do go next year, I'll probably get tickets for either the 1/4 finals or semis. It's really a loooooong day at the tennis grounds and the atmosphere can only be way more wicked when there's more at stake. Plus, you'll likely see a match with names you know. Plus, less matches = less time at the grounds = more time to peep the Paris scene
smile.gif

All in all, it was a great experience. Just bring lots of $

Peace
F Sharp005

^ Good info. We used to have an ATP tourney here back in the 90's and the tix would be for each day, but obviously, each day had a lot less matches. Saw Sampras vs Courier too!

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Wimbledon reserves their tickets for LTA members first, before allocating the rest to the public? That's why we see the long lines for tickets on TV... I think that's how it works anyway.

Don't you live in LDN? Prices can be worse in Paris than in London! LOL

Originally Posted by SinnerP

^ Good info. We used to have an ATP tourney here back in the 90's and the tix would be for each day, but obviously, each day had a lot less matches. Saw Sampras vs Courier too!

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Wimbledon reserves their tickets for LTA members first, before allocating the rest to the public? That's why we see the long lines for tickets on TV... I think that's how it works anyway.

Don't you live in LDN? Prices can be worse in Paris than in London! LOL
That's about right. Tickets for the show courts get pre-sold months in advance and then each day there's a certain number allocated for the general public.

People camp over night for them. I think the first day prices are around £400 and they ascend as the tournament progresses. Fourth rnd is about 1k and the finals are about 2k
alien.gif

I'm good with paying 40 bucks and sitting on Henman hill with the rest of the peasants 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by F Sharp005

As promised, pics from Roland Garros 2012:

Ivanovic
devil.gif

Sharapova (totally on a roll to win it all)

Berdych on the big screen

Big screen on Court No. 1 stadium

Murray-Gasquet in Court PC.  During breaks, people can come and go, i.e. leave the stadium.  That's why it can look really empty at times, especially if it's not a very exciting match (1st, 2nd rounds, last singles ladies match of the evening, etc.).

Last pic of me in Paris at the Trocadero rockin' OL AJ I's:

Peace
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom