OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He should have been but he lost to both Notre Dame and UCLA in crappy coached games and is also a recovered alcoholic who doesn't drink which was an even bigger strike against him. There's a reason he's been on the hot seat since he got the LSU job.

Huh

Sc’s administration and boosters had (have?) a big drinking culture and Lane would often schmooze and booze with them. Orgeron at that time was not that guy (I’d read he was recovered from his own problems with alcohol and wasn’t really a drinker so he was more focused on football than he was the 24/7 rubbing elbows.)

It made him never really fit in with them. They saw him as Hackett and Pete’s brutish southern guy with the weird accent, whereas Sark was a good-time-Charlie who was always down to grab a drink or hit the country club. Sark would also give all the boosters and admins as much access to the team and facilities as they wanted. Because of this, Wayne Hughes (or so I’ve heard) SC’s most influential donor and Mark Jackson the assistant AD at the time (and current Nova AD who wants to come back) were the one’s pushing for Sark’s hire the most and covering for his shenanigans.

As a result Orgeron was never seriously considered for the job and they used the losses to UCLA and ND that year as justification (despite him also upsetting Stanford.) It was also the reason they didn’t hire Petersen even though he interviewed twice and even went so far as paying Sark’s buyout at UW for him and clearing the Huskies path to acquiring Petersen at a time when their admin may have balked at paying both Sark and CP.

———

I’m reposting the Helton vid to ask, someone please gif that for me

Last edited:
LOL. Right on time, Kiper and McShay talking about Fromm. Andy Dalton comp. Bengals better not.

Could Fromm be a first-round pick?
Kiper: The short answer is yes -- Fromm absolutely could be a first-rounder in 2020 or 2021. But we don't like short answers. Right, Todd?

McShay: No, we really don't. Fromm has grown on me. After his freshman season in 2017, when he came so close to leading Georgia to a national title, I really didn't have a great feel for him yet. I needed to see more reps. Now? He's No. 36 in my rankings, and he could still climb.

Kiper: Absolutely. There's a reason Fromm has beaten out former five-star recruit Justin Fields, now starting at Ohio State, and Jacob Eason, now starting at Washington. Fromm just doesn't make mistakes -- he has 60 career touchdowns and only 13 interceptions. He's completing 75.6% of his passes this season. He has an incredible command of the Georgia offense, and he knows when to take his shots. He doesn't always have flashy numbers -- he was efficient but not spectacular against Notre Dame -- but he gets the job done.

McShay: He's tough as hell, too. Fromm never shows fear in the pocket. Against the Fighting Irish on Saturday night, he was conservative in the first half before letting it fly a little bit more after halftime. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Fromm's air yards per attempt jumped from 0.1 in the first half to 15.1 in the second. He knows defensive tendencies and when to take a shot and give his receiver a chance on a 50-50 ball.

Kiper: And he has taken a step forward this season, even with totally new weapons -- the Bulldogs lost their top four receivers and top tight end from last season. What do you see as Fromm's weaknesses, Todd?

McShay: Fromm has a decent 6-foot-2, 220-pound frame, but he doesn't have Tua Tagovailoa's elite accuracy or the big arm of Justin Herbert or Eason. His release is quick and he has some touch and anticipation, but his arm strength is just adequate at this point. And his mobility in the pocket is average at best, too.

Andy Dalton, who never had elite physical tools but was accurate and a great leader at TCU. He ended up going at the top of the second round in 2011 and has had a nice career, even if he has never been a top-10 quarterback. Fromm will improve.

McShay: For sure. The other thing I love about Fromm is how he grinds. I just trust him more than most when the game is on the line. He finds ways to win. That shouldn't be overlooked.

Kiper: So with Tagovailoa and Herbert as the clear top two quarterbacks in this class, where do you have Fromm, Todd?

McShay: Right now, he's No. 3 for me, edging out Stanford's K.J. Costello -- although I haven't ranked Eason just yet because I want to see a few more starts. It's still a distant third, well behind Tagovailoa and Herbert, but that's a testament to those two, rather than a knock on Fromm. He has jumped up my rankings.

Kiper: For me, he's competing with Eason, who we mentioned earlier, LSU's Joe Burrow, Costello and Utah State's Jordan Love for that third spot, which could be late in the first round. It could be a deep group of quarterbacks in this draft. It's important to note, though, that Fromm could still return to school and play for Georgia in 2020. We still have a long ways to go, and he will face some stiff tests the rest of the way with Florida, Auburn and Texas A&M still on the schedule.

McShay: He thrives on the big stage, so those showdowns could be really fun to watch. Let's not forget there's a potential SEC title game matchup with Tagovailoa and Bama looming too. Even though the Bulldogs have lost some big games, Fromm's tape in most of those games is more impressive than the stats and results suggest. If he keeps playing at this level, there's plenty of reason to think he could make his way into the first-round conversation.

If Burrow keeps playing the way he has, he's going to play himself into that third spot being Tua and Herbert.

If Burrow keeps playing the way he has, he's going to play himself into that third spot being Tua and Herbert.

The latest CBS mock draft has Burrow as the 3rd QB taken. I can see Fromm in the 16-30 range. There's a pretty good chance he doesn't come out. His family is pretty well and doesn't need the money

The latest CBS mock draft has Burrow as the 3rd QB taken. I can see Fromm in the 16-30 range. There's a pretty good chance he doesn't come out. His family is pretty well and doesn't need the money

giphy.gif

People gonna be gunning for the overhype Tua. He aint did ****. Did Hurts dirty work and got his back blown out by Clemson. :rofl:

People gonna be gunning for the overhype Tua. He aint did **** :rofl:

Tua's a beast. He's in that Russell Wilson mold. Arm isn't huge but has great anticipation. That being said, he hasn't played well when teams get pressure on him. He struggled against MSST, Georgia and Clemson, the only teams that got to him last season)

Tua's a beast. He's in that Russell Wilson mold. Arm isn't huge but has great anticipation. That being said, he hasn't played well when teams get pressure on him. He struggled against MSST, Georgia and Clemson, the only teams that got to him last season)

Accuracy trumps all!!!

dacomeup dacomeup casper90403 casper90403 atlsfinest atlsfinest

Bryce decommitted on Wednesday before telling Alabama he’d come visit.

Told people he didn’t decommit and visit over the summer because he didn’t want to add to the negativity around USC/the talk about Clay being fired since they have a good relationship.

One of the Chief things Bama flipped him on was harping on SC’s bad offensive line recruiting and play.

You mean during the natty when Hurt’s wasn’t doing **** and Tua came in and won it?
After he aint did nothing all season? Yes

Who do they really play? LSU and Auburn thats it. This year LSU is suppose to be good

Yeah, Russell Wilson has a cannon. Dude throws a football like he's throwing a baseball. Effortless.

If Tua had his arm, he'd be a worthy #1 overall pick by far

dacomeup dacomeup casper90403 casper90403 atlsfinest atlsfinest

Bryce decommitted on Wednesday before telling Alabama he’d come visit.

Told people he didn’t decommit and visit over the summer because he didn’t want to add to the negativity around USC/the talk about Clay being fired since they have a good relationship.

One of the Chief things Bama flipped him on was harping on SC’s bad offensive line recruiting and play.

It was an easy flip for Bama. Nothing they said was false. I bet they didnt even put on a full court press. Maybe Sark did. He was desperate.

It was an easy flip for Bama. Nothing they said was false. I bet they didnt even put on a full court press. Maybe Sark did. He was desperate.

Sark full court pressed. He had to. It's not over, but short of Helton winning 11 games and going to the playoff or Urban being hired, he's gone. They've poisoned the well. Kids love Helton but most of them will never come to USC under him. It's too easy to negative recruit.

Back
Top Bottom