OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kid's statement he put out said he felt unsafe on campus ... Was there stuff going on up there I haven't heard about/Brown didn't address?

Kid's statement he put out said he felt unsafe on campus ... Was there stuff going on up there I haven't heard about/Brown didn't address?
Nah, I think he’s referring to the threats that he’s received since deciding to enter the portal from WVU fans.

In re: 5 star defensive lineman David Stone

1648853961204.jpeg

Venables thinks this no commits allowed to take visits policy they had to fold on in Clemson is gonna fly at OU?

It’ll probably be topped at some point with how too heavy recruiting has gotten, but A&M landing 8 five-stars and 18 Top 100 kids is… wild.

It’ll probably be topped at some point with how too heavy recruiting has gotten, but A&M landing 8 five-stars and 18 Top 100 kids is… wild.
Better at least get to a title game, but would be very disappointing to not win a title with this class at some point.

Better at least get to a title game, but would be very disappointing to not win a title with this class at some point.

Every team that has finished with the number one recruiting class has won a national title with the next four seasons. The pressure is definitely on Jimbo who won the championship. Not to get close, not to win the SEC West or even the conference. With this much talent he needs to win national championship or if this will be a disappointment

Every team that has finished with the number one recruiting class has won a national title with the next four seasons. The pressure is definitely on Jimbo who won the championship. Not to get close, not to win the SEC West or even the conference. With this much talent he needs to win national championship or if this will be a disappointment
I mean it’s Texas A&M, so I’m tempering my expectations towards disappointment. I know we’re newer to the SEC, so you’re not as familiar, but we’re really big on moral victories.

Gonna go ahead and page justincredible7 justincredible7 so he doesn’t come flame me.

Meh. How much do recruiting rankings mean today compared to 5-10 years ago now that the portal makes it easier to leave?

You can sign 8 and 18 if those guys know if they lose out on a starting job they can go somewhere else in 1-2 years.

Yeah I feel like the CHAMPIONSHIP OR FAILURE mindset is just kinda goofy in general.

Especially in college football. Too much randomness. Too many variables with the portal.

And there’s like 3 or 4 guys ever that could consistently control all those variables. Everyone else is doing most things really well and catches a little bit of lightning in the bottle.

Meh. How much do recruiting rankings mean today compared to 5-10 years ago now that the portal makes it easier to leave?

You can sign 8 and 18 if those guys know if they lose out on a starting job they can go somewhere else in 1-2 years.
Not that many players transfer every year. The teams with the best recruiting classes out of high school still dominate the sport. Last year's national title game was still the two most talented teams in the nation.
Yeah I feel like the CHAMPIONSHIP OR FAILURE mindset is just kinda goofy in general.

Especially in college football. Too much randomness. Too many variables with the portal.

And there’s like 3 or 4 guys ever that could consistently control all those variables. Everyone else is doing most things really well and catches a little bit of lightning in the bottle.

You guys were calling out Kirby for not winning a title with all that talent (despite multiple top 5 finishes, conference title, playoff appearance, etc) and now that there's a little bit of pressure on Texas A&M "the championship or failure mindset is kinda goofy". This thread is getting funny.

Why can't Texas A&M have the same expectations as other programs with top talent?

Last edited:
You guys were calling out Kirby for not winning a title with all that talent (despite multiple top five finishes, conference title, playoff appearance, etc) and now that there's a little bit of pressure on Texas A&M "the championship or feel your mindset is kinda goofy". This thread is getting funny.

Why can't Texas A&M have the same expectations as other teams with top talent?
Jimbo's won a title and before this year Kirby hadn't, so the idea that there's something to prove in that regard is silly.

Nevermind that the baseline of where A&M was when Jimbo took over vs. where Georgia was when Kirby took over, frankly, aren't in the same universe. And Jimbo's had to kind of drag A&M toward recruiting at this level. He's really only just had his first high-end elite class. Kirby had, what, 5 stacked on top of each other?

I've never been a CHAMPIONSHIP OR FAIL guy. Not ever. In any sport. You gotta stack talent. And you gotta have a hell of a lot of things go in your favor that, frankly, aren't completely within your control most of the time. Gotta keep kids in the program. Gotta (most of the time) find a transcendent QB. Gotta hope you stay healthy. Gotta hope (unless you go undefeated) the committee's perception of you coming into the year is enough to get you into the Top 4.

Specifically coming out of the SEC, the sheer concentration of talent, resources, where the best coaches on average, etc. make any expectation of WIN A NATTY OR YOU'RE A FAILURE goofy. What A&M just did is kinda simply table stakes if you even want a seat at the table. And they're still playing from behind against Georgia, Bama, and maybe another team or two on just sheer volume of talent.

This ain't the Pac12 or ACC or Big12. :lol:

Offense should be able to help the defense find their feet after losing Ross Hill Hutch and Ojabo… Schedule helps a lot… Like the roster, hope the red zone O picks up where they left off last year… Red zone O was awful to start the year and cost them vs Sparty, but they figured it out late.

Not that many players transfer every year. The teams with the best recruiting classes out of high school still dominate the sport. Last year's national title game was still the two most talented teams in the nation.

You guys were calling out Kirby for not winning a title with all that talent (despite multiple top five finishes, conference title, playoff appearance, etc) and now that there's a little bit of pressure on Texas A&M "the championship or feel your mindset is kinda goofy". This thread is getting funny.

Why can't Texas A&M have the same expectations as other teams with top talent?
I hear you. I just feel like with the free transfer waiver now, Alabama’s #1 classes where 5 stars had no choice but to languish on the practice squad or bench for a few years or go JuCo were different than now where if a school has a bad season their entire class can transfer out the next year and that previous recruiting class means nothing.

I recognize the inability to retain that talent is in itself a failure, but I do think we’re in uncharted territory right now.

Is A&M’s top high school class of unproven guysmore impactful than Ole Miss’s top transfer class of players with college experience? I have no idea.

atlsfinest atlsfinest is absolutely right. Kirby got banged on every year for having great classes but nothing to show for it. Hell, the whole "Harbaugh would have done better had he pulled the type of classes Kirby did" was argued.

Now we're seeing the "excuses" being put forth just in case.

Jimbo needs to get to the NC game first (within the next 3-4 years). Thats how others are being judged, especially Kirby.

this will be an interesting topic if Jimbo doesnt do something with these classes

Disclaimer: I don’t think Jimbo’s going to win a championship with this class :lol

Maybe if he stacks 2-3 more too 2 classes.

But this isn't the first high ranking class under Jimbo

2019. 4th ranked
2020 6th ranked
2021 8th ranked
2022 #1

Surely he has to be better than 8 wins, right?

Kirby was winning double digit and still getting criticized.

But this isn't the first high ranking class under Jimbo

2019. 4th ranked
2020 6th ranked
2021 8th ranked
2022 #1

Surely he has to be better than 8 wins, right?

Kirby was winning double digit and still getting criticized.
Again - we just saw the first batch of Jimbo’s and last of Sumlin’s kids push through the pipeline, and saw how mediocre they largely were athletically at the combine. Maybe you want the win totals to be better, but the upperclass talent doesn’t scream it should’ve been.

People don’t realize how big a dumpster fire A&M’s talent level was when Jimbo took over. It was horrendous.

Jimbo’s first two full classes at A&M had a TOTAL of 12 Top 100 kids - and more than half of them played almost zero snaps at A&M.

The last class and this one are the two truly high-end crops of kids he signed.

But you gotta do that again. And again.

Jimbo's biggest issue at A&M so far has been that he largely whiffed HEAVILY on quarterback the first 3 classes. Maybe 4, depending on what Haynes King is. You can't recruit quarterbacks that poorly and expect to compete at any level.

Agree… They have a mentality that is far different than most… UGA loaded up but I think Metchie and Jameson being healthy makes that game a lot closer… I’m sure that will be another focus for Saban and his crew… Get the younger guys ready when that time comes.
I think Bama winning so often has people thinking it’s EASY to win a title with good recruits. They’re a totally different monster than most programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom