OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean Duke is respectable and they’re definitely a basketball school. There’s quite a few basketball first schools who field decent football teams. I don’t think Kansas will ever be good but they shouldn’t consistently be a bottom feeder like they are

I mean Duke is respectable and they’re definitely a basketball school. There’s quite a few basketball first schools who field decent football teams. I don’t think Kansas will ever be good but they shouldn’t consistently be a bottom feeder like they are
But Duke has a good recruiting footprint. This recruiting period that just passed, North Carolina had 26 blue chip players in state. Kansas had 1.

And respectable is relative. When I was in HS Duke hadn't won a game for something like 3 years in a row.

There’s a lot of factors. Maybe it’s the rule of 1.

It could be the fact that’s it’s hard to attract talent and top coaches to Kansas and football being a secondary consideration to basketball at the school makes it even harder because most coaches don’t want to play second fiddle. Kansas doesn’t have a lot of in state talent, no program history to tout, and a difficult path to a conference championship and playoff. Why should they be good?
They have access to top JUCOs. They have resources. Don’t have really high academic standards. Not buying the “rule of 1” when you have a state like Iowa that has 2 good teams. There are enough teams who don’t have great history who can put a respectable product on the field. Kansas should not be the worst program in CFB.

But Duke has a good recruiting footprint. This recruiting period that just passed, North Carolina had 26 blue chip players in state. Kansas had 1.

And respectable is relative. When I was in HS Duke hadn't won a game for something like 3 years in a row.
Duke has landed 2 4 stars in the last 4 years, and finished no higher than 8th in the conference in recruiting (13th 2 years). Recruiting footprint is not a strong argument here :lol:. They recruit like ****. They’ve been good because of Cut, and it’s looking like that little run is over. They’ll likely go back to being awful. That’s a MUCH harder job to have success at IMO. Academic challenges, plus they’re getting scraps. Easier conference for sure.

I agree...Kansas needs a David Cutcliffe.

They have access to top JUCOs. They have resources. Don’t have really high academic standards. Not buying the “rule of 1” when you have a state like Iowa that has 2 good teams. There are enough teams who don’t have great history who can put a respectable product on the field. Kansas should not be the worst program in CFB.
I’m not saying they should be the worst program in college football. They’re that as a result of repeated catastrophic coaching moves. But there’s a wide chasm between “the worst” and “good.”

Unless they hire an elite coaching candidate like matt Campbell they’ll probably never be Iowa state.

That 12 win year KU had was a complete aberration for all of CFB. Mizzou also won 12 games, Boston college won 11, Hawaii won 12 and played in the BCS, the #2 team lost every week, it was a complete mess and probably never happens again for them. I sometimes think Mangino gets too much credit for what was pure chaos, especially considering he never came close to that before, didn’t replicate it in the two seasons after, and hasn’t been able to get a job since.

nako xl nako xl lot of words, but still not convincing. I’m not saying they need to win 12 games and I doubt the fans expect that either. 6-8 wins with an occasional 9 win season would be great for them.

nako xl nako xl lot of words, but still not convincing. I’m not saying they need to win 12 games and I doubt the fans expect that either. 6-8 wins with an occasional 9 win season would be great for them.
No I get what you’re saying. I’m asking if you realize Kansas has won 9 or more games exactly 5 times in school history and only twice since 1968? “The occasional 9 win season” has never been a reality for them.

Sure their last 2-3 hires were bad, but this is a problem that dates back to the dust bowl. You’re not saying anything no one has considered over the past 100 years.

And I won’t belabor the point but going back to what you guys said comparing Duke, Duke arguably has 2 national championships and won the ACC under Spurrier. They won the coastal like 7 years ago, something even Miami has only managed once. Kansas hasn’t won their conference (the Big 8 ) since 1968 and only won a division in the Big 12 once in that crazy year. There’s no question Duke is far and beyond a better football program with more potential. It’s not even an argument.

Last edited:
Yea, we’ll just agree to disagree. I said winning 6-8 games regularly. But you hung onto the “occasional 9” as what’s the sticking point :lol: .

You’re digging back to before UGA won its last national title to rewrite the history on what Duke is. Winning the Coastal was the peak of Duke in the modern era. I’m failing to see how that connects though. Their program is much closer to what we saw this year than what we saw in 2013. Duke doesn’t recruit well. Period. It took Cutcliffe being the best coach in the history of the program to save them from no longer being the worst program in CFB. Hiring a competent coach would be a HUGE step for Kansas, instead of retread losers like Les and Charlie Weis.

1A439F04-5F45-4A33-8ED5-ADAA4F5C202B.jpeg

Nebraska. What a bum school they have become. Running scared. If their was ever a guy who might be bullet proof it would be Frost but if he doesn't start turning it around the way that delusional fan base expects him to that seat might start to become a bit warm.

Anyways I'll try not to get into a long rant here about KU football but I'll put it like this.
1. KU has had a long string of ADs who really didn't care much about football. Basketball was the cash cow and that is what they have focused their time, energy and resources on. Football was always an afterthought.
2. KU has had a long and I mean long history of bad coaching hires. When you have bad coaching hires more specifically in the last decade who did things like over recruit on juco guys who never panned out that kills your scholarship numbers. Weis and then Beaty both set KU back years because of their poor roster management.
3. There is ZERO excuse that KU can't be at minimum a five win program every year but my first two points are the reason why they haven't. They've went twice now with 'big' name names who have failed, went with a supposed up and coming name, who failed and then they went the cheap route and it failed.
4. KSU, is some what smoke and mirrors. At their peak of success the Big 12 wasn't what it is today. Synder, I will not take anything away from because he built that program from nothing but he took full advantage of playing a notoriously weak noncon opponents and during the majority of his 'glory' years you played a rotating Big 8/12 schedule. The one thing he did bring consistently was toughness and stability.
5. Yes, KU's general success has been an outlier for all the reasons I've given and Jeff Long was the first AD I can remember that really pushed donors and the Athletic Department to give the same amount of time, energy and resources to the football program like they have done for the basketball team.

there was a time where my homie, Dylen Smith, chose Kansas over Oklahoma back in the late 90's. We sat in class in summer school one year looking at Oklahoma like it was a dump. Then Bob Stoops was hired and the rest was history. He made the right decision going to Kansas. never would have beaten out Heupel.

Nebraska is a 🤡show. First they want to demand to play during Covid only to get washed. Then you want to back out of playing OU because you don't want to get washed.

My boy Daymond was on that squad. I remember watching this live hype as ****.

missed this. Damn shame Daymond played with some awful QBs at the end of his career along with some injuries. He was nice with the ball in his hands! Conversed with him on IG a couple times. Nice guy!

there was a time where my homie, Dylen Smith, chose Kansas over Oklahoma back in the late 90's. We sat in class in summer school one year looking at Oklahoma like it was a dump. Then Bob Stoops was hired and the rest was history. He made the right decision going to Kansas. never would have beaten out Heupel.
yoooo!! #4!! I remember watching him as a kid! Him and David Winbush, lol.
The John Blake years were some dark days for OU but they made a great hire in Stoops to get the program back to the Switzer era.

MVP MVP word from the early scrimmages is that Emory Jones is struggling pretty badly. He was a big recruit coming out of high school but nothing I've seen in his first three years at Florida has "wowed" me. That being said, it would really suck for him to wait his turn and get passed up for the job during his senior year

Screenshot_20210313-130451_Samsung Internet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom