OFFICIAL 2021 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - YAWNIST WITH THE CLOSEOUT 50 PIECE - BUCKS WITH FIRST CHIP SINCE ‘73 - CP0 LOSES AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Didn't know about the trademark part, I get that. Tons of people own international liquor companies though, it seemed like if Mexicans going at The Rock for Teremana or French getting at Diddy for Ciroc.
I mean Jouvert is also a deeply cultural thing though. Any other vaguely West Indian name would've been fine.
Stealing the name of a celebration of emancipation for you to sell our stereotypical liquor is just a wild thought.
It's like, imagine the backlash if some white celebrity tried to trademark Juneteenth to sell Malt Liquor. It's a bit disrespectful.

An NTer had the same opinion, pretty sure. That it was in poor taste to disrupt their celebration for his speech. Pretty sure they used that same language.

-foe

Monty's story is well documented so as soon as anyone sees him, there's that cloud or feeling of sadness.

Similar to when you see Vanessa.

On top of that now, he just lost the Finals.

He literally cried during the press conference.

I like him and I'm sure he meant well, but the timing was off.

People are just afraid to say it given the history.

I mean Jouvert is also a deeply cultural thing though. Any other vaguely West Indian name would've been fine.
Stealing the name of a celebration of emancipation for you to sell our stereotypical liquor is just a wild thought.
It's like, imagine the backlash if some white celebrity tried to trademark Juneteenth to sell Malt Liquor. It's a bit disrespectful.
Brah this is the exact comparison I used to explain it to my girl. :lol:

That why I knew mans would change it. The dynamics of what he was doing was so clearly bad, that going forward with the name would be very dumb. If MBJ cares about folk grievances, he will want to change it once someone breaks it down for him. If he doesn't care, he would have to change it because you don't want so much bad press for a new product launch.

so why all the laughing emoji's if its just commentary? lol
I just found his poverty numbers funny but damn aight
1626987309332.gif

That why I knew mans would change it. The dynamics of what he was doing was so clearly bad, that going forward with the name would be very dumb. If MBJ cares about folk grievances, he will want to change it once someone breaks it down for him. If he doesn't care, he would have to change it because you don't want so much bad press for a new product launch.
I know most americans aren't aware of the meaning of carnival and just consider it a fun cultural quirk so I was also sure once he found out the level of offense he was committing he'd change direction. It was all quite funny to me :lol:

you know I had been vaguely aware of this controversy,
I just assumed the progressive word police were acting up and paid it no mind.

but danm that's really bad. wtf were they thinking?? :lol:

I can picture the ad now.

Narrator: "Pop open a bottle of Juneteenth, for those special celebrations"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom