Votes: 238 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
I'm a 44 y/o grown *** white man. I'm finally at a point where I can buy anything I want - a long way from the 12 y/o version of me, who's parents could only afford a single pair of AJKO's, after saving for 6 months.

I could give a crap what either the "kids" think of my shoes, or my khaki/polo wearing peers. It's quite liberating.

there is a time and place for certain shoes/sneakers. If you're walking down the street on your day off in your favorite jordans that you grew to love as a kid which now some kid also love doesn't make you a herb.

As someone who grew up in the "hood" what's wrong with the perception of them being "hood" kicks? I'm genuinely asking, I have a good feeling I know exactly why certain people would view that as a negative connotation but I'm not gonna go there on this forum.

Outside of whatever racialized thoughts connected to the term .... there’s the perception that Jordan’s are low concept kicks as versus Nike or some other brand. those who are at the core of the brands support are equally perceived as low concept. Of course this logic assumes I can not like ****/fart jokes as much as a comedy ‘bit’.

Last edited:
there is a time and place for certain shoes/sneakers. If you're walking down the street on your day off in your favorite jordans that you grew to love as a kid which now some kid also love doesn't make you a herb.

I agree with this-as much as I love Js, I would never wear them to a wedding, for example. I suppose the ONLY exception to this is if one of my friends had me in his wedding party where all the groomsmen were wearing Js. I don’t think any of my friends would do this though haha

Lmaooo. The single sole soft bottom joints probably.

I couldn’t stop laughing. My man wore the these and expected me not to cook him :rofl:
A518A31A-77F9-48BB-B686-2E0EBE8C7827.jpeg

I’m 33 (turn 33 today to be exact), Black, grew up and still live in the “hood” (gentrification has definitely changed the “hood” for better and for worse, but that’s a different convo), but 1s have never been looked at like that here IMO. It’s more so how you carry yourself, and what other clothes you’re wearing how you’re wearing them. Me personally though, I ONLY wear sneakers. I own 3 pairs of dress shoes, that I’ve only worn when I was in my homeboy’s wedding party, and for job interviews in the past. In all my job positions I’ve worked in the tech and community spaces, and you can wear whatever you want, and my current position as a tech coordinator I can do the same. Hell, I wore 1s in my own wedding! Even when I held a position on a community council for the city, I wore sneakers. As long your stuff doesn’t look beat, you dress appropriately/clean, and you know how to articulate yourself and carry conversations, you’re good in the different spheres I’ve been fortunate to run in. So it’s not the shoes so much as it’s what’s around and with them IMO.

Getting back on topic, my man wore his off white Chicago ones the other day and those were talking to me. Train left the station for me in regards to the resale but they were looking beautiful. He fronted and said he only paid $6 DS for them too. Why lie!?!

Getting back on topic, my man wore his off white Chicago ones the other day and those were talking to me. Train left the station for me in regards to the resale but they were looking beautiful. He fronted and said he only paid $6 DS for them too. Why lie!?!

Lol. Seems like your mans really aren't your mans, fam. They lying about what they paid and calling you hood? Time to start calling people out and/ or snuffing some people.

We all got that one friend that lies for no reason at all. It’s your money fam, just keep it a buck and tell me you paid $1200 for them.

As an Indian dude I get lots of looks when I wear J's or buy them. I know some dudes at the store think I'm getting them to flip. I just let it go...at the end of the day the opinion of a stranger is completely irrelevant. Should mean absolutely nothing to you. You don't live your life for them or their approval

Back
Top Bottom