Votes: 237 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
my first hit on snkrs app forreal...for the longest i thought i was blacklisted or something but ppl just thirstin these drops :lol:

8DC2057D-F7EB-4056-8D4E-43BA8E5ED498.jpeg

No I don't, but I'm not saying Unions are bad. I'm just solely speaking about the Union design in regards to the Smore Greys. therefill therefill was saying that these Smoke Greys would be better if the Unions hadn't released which I disagree with. If the Unions had never come out people would be really confused by this color blocking style and I would wager flaming it endlessly. The Unions had much better craftsmanship and materials than these and there was a big split among people at the beginning. IMO the only reason these Smoke Greys even have any appeal to people is because the Unions were so good and made their own unique look iconic.
Gotcha, I understand what you're saying now. I guess the same could be said about the wings flap and how OW started the trend and it continued onto ROTY (and sports illustrated pair too?). A lot of people would've been wondering why such a weird feature if not started on the OW collab.

No I don't, but I'm not saying Unions are bad. I'm just solely speaking about the Union design in regards to the Smore Greys. therefill therefill was saying that these Smoke Greys would be better if the Unions hadn't released which I disagree with. If the Unions had never come out people would be really confused by this color blocking style and I would wager flaming it endlessly. The Unions had much better craftsmanship and materials than these and there was a big split among people at the beginning. IMO the only reason these Smoke Greys even have any appeal to people is because the Unions were so good and made their own unique look iconic.

The reason I said the Smoke Greys would be received better if Unions didn't release is because I know people are going to view them as the "Poor Man Unions". That alone is enough to turn people away because they don't want to be seen as wearing the "Poor Man's" version of something. I personally don't see them as a "poor man's Union" - I just see a dope colorway.

The reason I said the Smoke Greys would be received better if Unions didn't release is because I know people are going to view them as the "Poor Man Unions". That alone is enough to turn people away because they don't want to be seen as wearing the "Poor Man's" version of something. I personally don't see them as a "poor man's Union" - I just see a dope colorway.

It's kind of hard not to though, they bit off that concept pretty hard.

Aside from the look, personally I don't like the look of the materials. The suede looks like that sandpaper suede they used to use on Dunks and the leather looks pretty bad too. I don't know man, there's just something about them that doesn't do it for me.

Either way buy what you like, no one should care if they like something that's labeled "Poor Mans Something." I liked those TSs because they were brown, I'll be trying for those Mochas because they are brown too. I don't care if people think they are Poor Man TSs. If they look good I'm buying.

Why do people care how much their collection is worth? Is that really the driving factor to keep collecting? Not just in Jordan circles, but other collecting groups I see people say, " I don't want X to re-release so the value doesn't drop. "

Screw the perceived value.

This

Your "collection" is worth less when your dead. What they're valued at is subjective at most. Enjoy them while your still here.....

You guys might disagree with me here but I like knowing that my DS pairs will, at worst, hold their value so if I decide to move them down the line (because I never wore them) I won't feel like I lost much money. Even better if they appreciate in value so I won't feel as bad paying resale prices for a pair I'll actually wear after selling them.

I'm sure a lot of us on here have spent money on a pair we thought we would wear but ultimately didn't. I have made quite a few mistakes including paying full price for pairs that went on deep discount and can still be found under retail, even years after release. For me, an example was getting caught up in the 2015 remastered hype and spending $190 plus tax for a pair of Lady Liberty 10s that I STILL haven't worn over 5 years later :sick: (idk what I was thinking, I should have just returned these lol).

You guys might disagree with me here but I like knowing that my DS pairs will, at worst, hold their value so if I decide to move them down the line (because I never wore them) I won't feel like I lost much money. Even better if they appreciate in value so I won't feel as bad paying resale prices for a pair I'll actually wear after selling them.

I'm sure a lot of us on here have spent money on a pair we thought we would wear but ultimately didn't. I have made quite a few mistakes including paying full price for pairs that went on deep discount and can still be found under retail, even years after release. For me, an example was getting caught up in the 2015 remastered hype and spending $190 plus tax for a pair of Lady Liberty 10s that I STILL haven't worn over 5 years later :sick: (idk what I was thinking, I should have just returned these lol).

I always look on stockx to check prices of sneakers I own that are used because I'm curious to know the DS price

Don't take this the wrong way, I just see this mentality as you buying with the intention of selling eventually. You dropped too many resources into this hobby and are looking for a way out when the hype dies if you have to. Maybe I'm way off base here, if I am let me know, I'm just saying that's what it feels like looking from the outside in.

That's why I'm very selective of what I buy. If I don't really love a shoe I'm not buying it. FOMO, hype, resell prices, etc., all make people panic buy stuff they don't really want. It's a weird cycle.

Your collection's resell value is only as good as the demand and supply is over time. Buyers, mostly new buyers, are really hyped over certain 1s for now.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just see this mentality as you buying with the intention of selling eventually. You dropped too many resources into this hobby and are looking for a way out when the hype dies if you have to. Maybe I'm way off base here, if I am let me know, I'm just saying that's what it feels like looking from the outside in.

That's why I'm very selective of what I buy. If I don't really love a shoe I'm not buying it. FOMO, hype, resell prices, etc., all make people panic buy stuff they don't really want. It's a weird cycle.

Yeah, you're way off base here. You can't put everyone in your cookie cutter definition of what it is to be a real collector or fan. It just doesn't work like that because... people are different. They have different likes, dislikes, goals, circumstances, etc.

Say this guy has sunk a lot of money over the years into his collection. Later on, his priorities change. He has a bunch of pairs DS that he knows he'll never get around to wearing, maybe he has a kid or need to move,. He says, "These have appreciated well. I can let a bunch of these go and I would have some nice seed money for a new car or crib. " I've seen folks sell some of their collection off because they were downsizing to a much smaller living arrangement. You never know. Doesn't take away from his love of the kicks or the game.

Hell, with those Chicago's going for 2 bands, you better believe people are selling that may have strong emotional attachments to those shoes. They're doing it because it makes sense. This is a cycle and those shoes will definitely come back around sooner or later.

There are no guidelines to this ish.

Yeah, I’ll never knock folks for selling especially when life circumstances change. Personally for me, being a shoehead includes the cycle of pursuing certain shoes, obtaining them, and potentially letting them go. Definitely no guidelines to this game.

If I had to predict, I’m not sure Jordan 1s outside of 85s/94s will be this bullish in the next decade. This is really the perfect storm of people having extra funds to spend, with temporarily limited options for disposable income, and The Last Dance doc having folks fired up.

There's nothing "poor" about this here hobby we are all into.....

95CB4D63-E008-4B88-9F12-AE2C03480BE9.gif

Well, the values of our collections are going to plummet severely when this pandemic causes the world's economies to go into recessions then depression.

Its' coming :emoji_cry:

If you actually believe a global economic downturn is going to affect the value of sneakers, you’re mistaken. I don’t know if you have been paying attention or not, but this hobby of ours was hi jacked by the rich quite some time ago. It’s blatantly obvious with these prices we deem as normal in 2020.

205E2ECC-DDB1-4593-8B37-81D2305B79B8.jpeg
I
I just copped the black pair recently. Will probably rock those for a while and then strip both so I can have a pair of breds and extra royals.

A054A22E-EC6F-4EC8-BE9E-E28D8F720B37.jpeg

These were starting to look kinda dingy being all white so I decided to switch it up. I had a strong suspicion I would regret it but I actually like them this way. I’ve seen people reapply the white paint so I guess that’s an option down the road if I decide. Will def go back to the black laces.

My $1223 bid for the Chicago 1's got accepted on stockx on 5/5. Today is the third day the status has been "item received at stockx." I've emailed stockx 2 days in a row, no response. Hold your judgement on the price I paid, I'm furious that there's been no communication from Stockx as to what's going on with my order. If it doesn't pass authentication, I'll be looking at having to pay $300-400 more now. I think I'm out at that point.

I appreciate your insight but I’ll be going on 20 years of buying Js next year. That said, I’m not sure how long you’ve been buying sneakers but I’ve seen hype come and go MANY times. Hell, I’ve seen Nike SB Dunks grow into immensely hyped sneakers (post-NYP), watched the hype die and seen that same cycle happen twice now haha Same with Foamposites (I live in DC so this market is skewed since they’re culturally significant here). Retros rise and fall in popularity but interest hasn’t died in the 19 years I’ve been collecting.

You’re right that I’ve spent a ton of money on buying shoes over the years but I also actually enjoy collecting and am extremely passionate about it as I’m sure a lot of NTers in general are. I actually talked to Jordy from the Shoezeum a few years ago since we’re both size 11 and he was selling off a lot of his collection. It was interesting getting the perspective of someone who, at that time, was literally running a museum dedicated to Nike/JB (in LV at the time) but it also made me realize that simply managing a large collection is hard work that most of us don’t want to do but kind of have to since a lot of old shoes don’t hold up well (even if they are worn) and we have to constantly take inventory of what we actually plan on wearing or what we’re just holding to as collectors. Polyurethane midsoles, air bubbles, and glue don’t really hold up well on DS sneakers if just left sitting in a closet so I’m just thankful that AJ 1s don’t have this problem, although leather cracking is definitely an issue on the ankle collar.

At some point, I’ll have to move a lot of my collection but, as with anyone who has to dwindle down a large collection, it ends up being a huge hassle, even if you end up making a good amount of money doing so. It’s a lot easier to move stocks vs sneakers, to this point, so sneakers are definitely not a good long term investment but it’s also not nearly as exciting buying stocks as it is buying kicks.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're way off base here. You can't put everyone in your cookie cutter definition of what it is to be a real collector or fan. It just doesn't work like that because... people are different. They have different likes, dislikes, goals, circumstances, etc.

Say this guy has sunk a lot of money over the years into his collection. Later on, his priorities change. He has a bunch of pairs DS that he knows he'll never get around to wearing, maybe he has a kid or need to move,. He says, "These have appreciated well. I can let a bunch of these go and I would have some nice seed money for a new car or crib. " I've seen folks sell some of their collection off because they were downsizing to a much smaller living arrangement. You never know. Doesn't take away from his love of the kicks or the game.

Hell, with those Chicago's going for 2 bands, you better believe people are selling that may have strong emotional attachments to those shoes. They're doing it because it makes sense. This is a cycle and those shoes will definitely come back around sooner or later.

There are no guidelines to this ish.

Amen, brother-if I could rep this twice, I would.

Back
Top Bottom