Official BBQ thread

You gotta insulate those things? Like, it doesnt already come insilated? Im confused.

You don't have to. Like I said I just got mine. (It's indoors now) . I just plan to use one. My uncle in law uses a insulator on his and he hasn't had any issues. He also grills in the winter (rain sleet or snow)

In the market for a new grill.

Any suggestions?

Those komodo kamados are nice but 10k is way out my budget :lol:

Last edited:
I'm not a BBQ snob but those pellet smokers irritate me watching people use them lol. You just push buttons and change temps like nothing. I'm out here getting scientific on some charcoal ,wood, and vents lol. If I was gonna do some competition BBQ Idk I'd prolly use one your risk of temp issues goes way down. I feel like I'd lose some flavor tho but rubs injections and sauce matched with that color it does would do work

Been cold here. Might do it this Saturday where it's supposed to be 75 degrees

I've never understood this logic. Fire and heat still work even when it's cold outside. Grab a jacket and some beverages and have fun.

Not calling you out, but I've seen that sentiment expressed alot of it's cold so no outside cooking.

What's your guys thoughts on the Akorn Kamado?

It's the "affordable" alternative to the BGE...reviews seem legit, I think ima pull the trigger soon...

Anybody have some experience on it?

View media item 2376274

Last edited:
What's your guys thoughts on the Akorn Kamado?

It's the "affordable" alternative to the BGE...reviews seem legit, I think ima pull the trigger soon...

Anybody have some experience on it?
From what I have heard from others is that they are a decent kamado but aren't very durable and wont hold up very long.  Would probably be a decent entry level kamado, but you will have to upgrade at some point if it gets used.  BGEs last a life time.

I would also check your local Costco to see if the KJ roadshow is coming through, you can get a deal there.  Or check for any local egg fests to pick up a demo bge at a discount.

Last edited:
whats ur budget

No budget really as its not an immediate purchase.

I'm not a BBQ snob but those pellet smokers irritate me watching people use them lol. You just push buttons and change temps like nothing. I'm out here getting scientific on some charcoal ,wood, and vents lol. If I was gonna do some competition BBQ Idk I'd prolly use one your risk of temp issues goes way down. I feel like I'd lose some flavor tho but rubs injections and sauce matched with that color it does would do work

I feel you. Wich is why i dont have one. If i did i wouldnt tell anybody in my family cuz theyll hate on me hard [emoji]128514[/emoji]

I've never understood this logic. Fire and heat still work even when it's cold outside. Grab a jacket and some beverages and have fun.

Not calling you out, but I've seen that sentiment expressed alot of it's cold so no outside cooking.

Maybe extreme cold affects it to a degree? Im in the south and ive smoked in the 30's with no problem. Straight liquor sitting next to the fire box.

From what I have heard from others is that they are a decent kamado but aren't very durable and wont hold up very long.  Would probably be a decent entry level kamado, but you will have to upgrade at some point if it gets used.  BGEs last a life time.

I would also check your local Costco to see if the KJ roadshow is coming through, you can get a deal there.  Or check for any local egg fests to pick up a demo bge at a discount.

Dam im gonna have to look that up. Have you bought a demo egg? What about that kj roadshow is the markdown a big difference?

No budget really as its not an immediate purchase.
I feel you. Wich is why i dont have one. If i did i wouldnt tell anybody in my family cuz theyll hate on me hard [emoji]128514[/emoji]
Maybe extreme cold affects it to a degree? Im in the south and ive smoked in the 30's with no problem. Straight liquor sitting next to the fire box.

Haha I see you know. Outside temp be damned. Use more charcoal. Turn on the propane heater or build a fire.

Good times to be had.

Dam im gonna have to look that up. Have you bought a demo egg? What about that kj roadshow is the markdown a big difference?
https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

I have my parents picking me up a Joe Jr next week since they live near a Costco in VA that is getting the road show (none by me in PA), and the price is $100 less ($400).  I think that is the standard discount at Costco for all sizes.  I have heard though that you can actually by the jumbo joe (24") and joe jr that they have on display for some ungodly cheap price ($1000 or less for BOTH iirc) - but you would probably have to get there early and get lucky to get it. 

I have not bought a demo egg, considered buying a demo mini max but the guy wanted 650$ for it and I said F it I can get a joe jr brand new for 250$ less (with the platesetter).

If you do not have a budget I would seriously consider an egg.  You can do anything with it, they are so versatile, low and slow or super high heat pizza/bread bakes.  You can cook indirect, direct, raised direct, etc.  Also, they are so well insulated that you can cook in any conditions, I have cooked during snow storms and rain on several occasions.  Another thing I like about the eggs is that you can pop it into an outdoor kitchen counter top, cant really do that with stick burners or pellet grills.

Last edited:
I have an egg and i love it, i feel like theres a lot more i can do with it that i havent thought of yet. Im just looking to expand my collection :lol:

But i have been seeing the counters for them a lot latley and they look bad ***. But i also like being able to move it around with ease.

Last edited:
I have an egg and i love it, i feel like theres a lot more i can do with it that i havent thought of yet. Im just looking to expand my collection
laugh.gif

But i have been seeing the counters for them a lot latley and they look bad ***. But i also like being able to move it around with ease.
check out https://ceramicgrillstore.com/  they make some great accessories for the egg (if you have a L or XL)

Lol true facts. But when I grill it's an affair. I chill outside with some chill pops and my music going on the deck. I personally can't chill out in the cold I'm anemic lol

lol true facts. But I've been there so anything to make my life easier I will.

I guess it's the first day of spring because it's glorious here - 60s and a perfect blue sky.

As I thought my charcoal basket's holes were too small and the fire just choked out. A couple weeks ago I cut the bottom off and cut down a spare grill to fit. Hopefully that will do the job.

View media item 2380001
Trying briquettes this week rather than lump - I've had good results with them before and thought I'd give these cheap ones a try.

View media item 2380002
It's looking good so far - holding a nice even temperature.

Last edited:
Beautiful out here too. Have to run some errands then going to do some smashburgers on my gasser and then wings on the egg for dinner. Will try to post pics.

Well the chicken was delicious - super tender with nice crispy skin. Took about 2 hours to get up to temperature.

View media item 2380266
The brisket not so much - had a nice smoke ring and bits of it were good but it was kind of chewy. I think it just needed more time. It was only small and in for about 4.5 hours but I'll need a bigger fire to keep it going for longer.

I'll try again next weekend.

Last edited:
Well the chicken was delicious - super tender with nice crispy skin. Took about 2 hours to get up to temperature.

The brisket not so much - had a nice smoke ring and bits of it were good but it was kind of chewy. I think it just needed more time. It was only small and in for about 4.5 hours but I'll need a bigger fire to keep it going for longer.

I'll try again next weekend.
chicken looks good.
nthat.gif
 what temp you cook it at?  I find brisket usually takes 1.25-1.5 hr/lb at ~250 F.

I was right at 250 most of the time. It was just a small brisket so I thought 2.5 hours would do it - I used the same formula as you. It was only at about 150° after 2 hours (and I had forgetten about the chicken) so I left it in longer to see what would happen.

Back
Top Bottom