Official BBQ thread

Do mine three hours straight at 250. Meat side up for first two and down the last. Spritz Apple cider vinegar and apple juice mix every 30 minutes.

Also for dude talking about the membrane, slice a corner up with a knife then use a paper towel to grab it and it should pull right off.

You doing soares or baby backs for 3 hours? Seems like theyd be tough no matter which type at that temp and time.

I prefer spare if I wanna get fancy lol I trim them to St. Louis but I'd rather just cook it all. I don't have a set time the 3-2-1 wasn't consistent enough for me I go 225-250 temp and check them after a hour for color once they get the color I'm looking for I wrap them and go around hour and a half check em to see if there getting where I want. Then depending on how I did in the foil I'll go back on for whatever amount of time I need to get them where I want. People ask me how I smoke em and I can't explain lol it just came from trial and error and what I'm looking for temps and times don't do me any good it's all on the meat and how it's going. I want certain color and not fall off the bone but still tender. I pull membrane , rub, and put on hickory and apple. Foil in honey, brown sugar, put back on smoker and sauce little before I pull em off. I don't spray them ever but that's just my personal approach I know a lot of people do.

I wrap my ribs in butcher paper. Spritz em and close it up.

When i do my sweet ribs my rub is sweet enough so all i do is spritz right before i wrap. Very rarley will i add anything in a wrap.

But i suggest yall replace the honey for agave nectar and thank me later.

One thing i do like about wrapping ribs in foil is the juice. You can add the juice to baked beans or for cooking purposes, in butcher paper it kind of soaks up the juices.

Last edited:
Also for dude talking about the membrane, slice a corner up with a knife then use a paper towel to grab it and it should pull right off.

Yeah, that's what I do - I just hate doing it! Tedious and time consuming.

St. Louis style Spare. That setup is indirect on BGE if it helps rationalize it. But results are far from dry. View media item 2388016View media item 2388018
i do my ribs indrect on a bge at same temp and ive never done less than 5 to 6 hrs on st louis cuts. Just seems they would be tough/undercooked at half that time. I like my ribs fall of bone tender though (some would say overdone).

Last edited:
Ribs are on. Bit behind schedule because I got a ton done this morning - errands, haircut, bought 2 tees in the Nike outlet...

7pm they should be good. Charcoal and some apple wood in the firebox.

View media item 2388025

They were utterly delicious. I've only tried ribs once before since I got my smoker. That was before I got a charcoal box and they were kind of chewy. These were really tender.

My youngest didn't like hers either so the other 3 of us split hers. Score!

I still had a little trouble with the fire - it got really clogged up with ash. I started just scooping it out once I realised but I'm going to add some legs to my charcoal box to raise it up a couple of inches which should be better.

Last edited:
Fellas, thank you so much for the pictures. Everything looks amazing.

They were utterly delicious. I've only tried ribs once before since I got my smoker. That was before I got a charcoal box and they were kind of chewy. These were really tender.

I still had a little trouble with the fire - it got really clogged up with ash. I started just scooping it out once I realised but I'm going to add some legs to my charcoal box to raise it up a couple of inches which should be better.[/quote

You can eat a whole slab?

Last edited:
i do my ribs indrect on a bge at same temp and ive never done less than 5 to 6 hrs on st louis cuts. Just seems they would be tough/undercooked at half that time. I like my ribs fall of bone tender though (some would say overdone).

Never had problems with my ribs done in under 6 hrs. Either perfect bite or fall off the bone. St louis untrimmed i can knock it out in 4-5 hrs easy.
Same grill.

I still had a little trouble with the fire - it got really clogged up with ash. I started just scooping it out once I realised but I'm going to add some legs to my charcoal box to raise it up a couple of inches which should be better.

Maybe you should drill a few holes on the bottom of your box? Ribs look badass!!

Last edited:
I had that thought as I was doing that - but I think that would lose control of the fire. I wondered about a hatch so you could dump the ash in one go. I'm going to try raising the basket first.

So much trial and error and anger with making your own rub. Meat can be on point but lacking flavor or bad flavor. I got my own down tho after years. Pork chicken and beef. Cant formulate a good one down for seafod yet.
I gotta write down my ratios because I got a good rub but couldn't tell a soul how much of what to use.

My go to for pork is:

Marinade for >2hrs in apple juice and onions

light brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt, & pepper

Then spritz of apple juice and onions throughout
Do mine three hours straight at 250. Meat side up for first two and down the last. Spritz Apple cider vinegar and apple juice mix every 30 minutes.

I like mine meat side down first, may have to try up next

I have STRUGGLED with the membrane and never been able to get it off. I'm getting some ribs when I go grocery shoppin this weekend so I'll be trying again soon
Never had problems with my ribs done in under 6 hrs. Either perfect bite or fall off the bone. St louis untrimmed i can knock it out in 4-5 hrs easy.
Same grill.
Maybe you should drill a few holes on the bottom of your box? Ribs look badass!!
On average I've cooked mine for 2-3 hours. 2 hrs on and 45 min-1hr in the oven

Some places (Costco), I have seen remove the membranes prior to packaging - that could very well be the case with you not being able to remove the membrane.

Could be.  Will admit as far as the membrane and the actual make up of meats I'm a novice. Couldn't point out a "good" cut of meat for anything

Yeah, the membrane is pretty obvious. Might be better to buy a couple of racks from a butcher or at least the meat counter at a supermarket so you can make sure it's there.

I need to seal around the lid of my smoker better - I want some of that stick on tape to go around the door but I can't find any here. Anyone got any suggestions for online in the US? My wife is visiting her sister in a few weeks so she could bring it back then.

I need to seal around the lid of my smoker better - I want some of that stick on tape to go around the door but I can't find any here. Anyone got any suggestions for online in the US? My wife is visiting her sister in a few weeks so she could bring it back then.
Amazon, search for high heat tape gaskets or something like that and you will see tons of options.

I made my own rub really like it a lot don't want to change any flavor but I would like it red instead of brown anyone got any ideas

Back
Top Bottom