Official BBQ thread

I was right at 250 most of the time. It was just a small brisket so I thought 2.5 hours would do it - I used the same formula as you. It was only at about 150° after 2 hours (and I had forgetten about the chicken) so I left it in longer to see what would happen.

Try your brisket hot and fast next time you'll be glad you did.

What's your guys thoughts on the Akorn Kamado?

It's the "affordable" alternative to the BGE...reviews seem legit, I think ima pull the trigger soon...

Anybody have some experience on it?

View media item 2376274

Was looking at this, will likely be my next purchase when I get a spot that can accommodate a grill. Then again, dudes acting like we weren't make the illest food on $50 grills.

I was right at 250 most of the time. It was just a small brisket so I thought 2.5 hours would do it - I used the same formula as you. It was only at about 150° after 2 hours (and I had forgetten about the chicken) so I left it in longer to see what would happen.

Try your brisket hot and fast next time you'll be glad you did.

How hot? How fast?

Was looking at this, will likely be my next purchase when I get a spot that can accommodate a grill. Then again, dudes acting like we weren't make the illest food on $50 grills.
you can make good food on cheap grills. A weber kettle is a staple. While more expensive grills sometimes can add flavor, they are also much more efficient and durable. They last forever.

I smoked them for about 5 hours or so at 250. I check the bones for how done i want them. Didnt get pics but will be smoking more tomorrow.

Had a brisket also, did it hot and fast again and man i swear im gona stick to this method if i can find the right temp for the right sixlze brisket.

What's your guys thoughts on the Akorn Kamado?

It's the "affordable" alternative to the BGE...reviews seem legit, I think ima pull the trigger soon...

Anybody have some experience on it?

View media item 2376274

I got one its legit. it can hold temp pretty well. easy to clean as well to whole bottom pops off and just dump the charcoals.

I would recommend it

Last edited:
Just got some ribs. About to put a rub on and let them sit overnight.

Didn't have a lot of choice so I just got a couple of packets of stuff in the store - a reasonable sounding mix of sugar and spices. I used the same brand for chicken last week and it was okay.

I use Dizzy Dust from Dizzy Pig on all my pork. Their whole line of rubs are legit, they have a nice storefront worth checking out down in NOVA too. Stopped making my own rubs years ago, not worth the time and effort, imo. 

http://dizzypigbbq.com/

I think they are running free shipping right now.

Last edited:
So much trial and error and anger with making your own rub. Meat can be on point but lacking flavor or bad flavor. I got my own down tho after years. Pork chicken and beef. Cant formulate a good one down for seafod yet.

So much trial and error and anger with making your own rub. Meat can be on point but lacking flavor or bad flavor. I got my own down tho after years. Pork chicken and beef. Cant formulate a good one down for seafod yet.

seafood is a tough one...i usually add lemon pepper to my regular rub and then throw some lemon slices on top of the fillets. used a bacon chipotle seasoning on some shrimp this weekend and grilled it with a cedar plank...it was bomb....

View media item 2387332
View media item 2387333

I forgot how much I hate removing the membrane - glad I'm only doing 4 racks tomorrow.

All rubbed and in the fridge wrapped up. Can't wait until dinner tomorrow. 321 at 250° is my plan.

Four racks just for you? :lol:

Post pics. Should be good, ribs always are :smokin

What you guys prefer baby back, spare, or st louis? I may be in minority but i prefer baby backs.

Last edited:
I think I could manage 2 - four would be hard work though.

There are 4 of us - one my kids is at Scout camp for the weekend and one doesn't eat much so I'm hoping for 1 1/2.

Will post pictures as I'm going along.

I forgot how much I hate removing the membrane - glad I'm only doing 4 racks tomorrow.

All rubbed and in the fridge wrapped up. Can't wait until dinner tomorrow. 321 at 250° is my plan.

I cook mine (spares) at 260-270
2 hrs on
Spritz every 45 minutes
2 wrapped
And after the wrap the bones are showing about half an inch.

I dont sauce mine. I used to do the 3-2-1 but not anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom