Official BBQ thread

Natural affinity? :lol:

This is just like an argument I've seen on a bike forum - guys saying they don't need a torque wrench because they can feel it. They've done studies and it's nonsense - miles off either way, and inconsistent in the same person too.

Anyway, it's my wife's birthday so I've got some Costco rib eyes on a reverse seat right now. Going to try finishing them on my chimney starter to see how that works.

This is just like an argument I've seen on a bike forum - guys saying they don't need a torque wrench because they can feel it. They've done studies and it's nonsense - miles off either way, and inconsistent in the same person too.

Anyway, it's my wife's birthday so I've got some Costco rib eyes on a reverse seat right now. Going to try finishing them on my chimney starter to see how that works.

Using Kenji Lopez's method? Tried it twice and both times I didn't have the consistent med-rare all around the roast. Got the overcooked ring outside. Still delicious, but having that texture difference of the outer edges and the softer inner in the same bite made it weird.

Well I enjoyed my steak but my wife said hers was too rare. I guess it was on the rare side of medium. I left them on indirect heat until 120° then did 30s on the raging hot starter and turned them then repeated that - so 1 minute on each side of something I couldn't even put my hand over.

I also managed to ruin the ground! Usually you obviously heat up the charcoal starter then pour it into your grill - I just left it on the concrete beside my grill and when I was searing the third steak it went bang and the whole starter jumped when the ground cracked. Should have put it on top of something instead.

View media item 2441311

Last edited:
What's everyone planning to grill/smoke this weekend? I'm probably going to do ribs and chicken but I'm looking for some ideas.

@Elpablo21

Man those burnt ends aren't even burnt [emoji]128514[/emoji]
First pic was only a couple hours in 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I like my steak medium rareish to rare and it's to chewy. Defiantly bright pink throughout it tho.

Bro absolutely natural affinity lol I been smoking ribs for years never touched a thermometer... I go by the temp of my smoker the time it's on the color of the ribs then I wrap them for usually 1:50-2:20 hrs and they tender up to my liking then I sauce or rub again finish back on for about 10-15 mins perfect. I know my smoker I know my hot spots I know exactly what I am looking for and it's as consistent as can be never temp the meat ever. I read chat and watch blue ribbon winners can't recall one ever using a thermometer.

But that isn't a NATURAL affinity.

That just comes with experience. It takes time to know your smoker, hot spots, etc.

But that isn't a NATURAL affinity.

That just comes with experience. It takes time to know your smoker, hot spots, etc.
Well yeah, this.

Experience is key. Not talking about putting some brisket on and just knowing when it's ready. That's crazy :lol:

And besides, I mean even for you dudes using thermometers you know based off how long w/e meat has been cooking when to actually use the thermometer. You're not sticking a thermometer in there every 5 seconds like a dumbass.

Nah i dont and never have used thermometers on ribs. Bones tell me when its done.

I was a lil tipsy when i jumped into the **** but i only use a thermometer when im smoking poultry pork and beef. On the beef its more of a probe feel vs temp.

Things i dont use one on are pork ribs, chicken breast, beef ribs, and things of that nature.

Back
Top Bottom