Official BBQ thread

Before I got my BGE, I would use dual zone cooking on my Weber to cook chicken and it came out perfect every time. Use the BBQ Pit Boys method and you won't be disappointed. Put the coals to one side and leave the other side alone. Get a good quick char on the side with the coals and then put the chicken on the unattended side, cover and let it cook.

Indirect will save your butt in a bind! I damn near always start out with an indirect pit if I’m not smoking.

A slab of baby backs, tri tip, and a jalapeño cheddar Dickey’s rope to snack on while cooking. Just the wife, one kid and myself, she’s prepping some veggies too.
upload_2019-5-27_12-49-40.jpeg

Not trash at all. Just depends on what taste you are looking for. Maybe you like a charcoal pit. Or even a gas burner. Also pellet. Let me know what your interested in, be more than happy to give some ideas.

I live in a condo so I’m limited to the very small wood deck.
I like KC BBQ taste whatever that consists of.

I live in a condo so I’m limited to the very small wood deck.
I like KC BBQ taste whatever that consists of.

Can you use charcoal? If so maybe a small Weber.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-Original-Kettle-Charcoal-Grill-18-Black/10909621
Good little starter pit. Then maybe move up to slightly bigger barrel type if you want to venture into heavy smoking.

My buddy has one very similar to this. His does have Bluetooth capabilities . It does put out some pretty decent meat. May work for your situation. Will produce decent flavor.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-P...l-Smoker-Common-47-in-Actual-47-in/1000565777

Last edited:
I have been questioning this lately.

I always thought it was best to start with the SEAR to lock in the juices and then finish baking.

I was wondering if people reverse seared chicken.

I do but I’ve heard that “locking in the juices” isn’t true - it just doesn’t do that but it seems to work and I find it easier to get them up to temp without drying out - probably because if you do it the other way round you have to pull them at something like 145° to allow for the direct heat part - and If you’re not careful you can dry them out. The reverse way because they are on the less hot side and they already have good color that just doesn’t matter.

I often put them back on the heat with some sauce - but that’s just 30s or so to caramelise it a bit so doesn’t really do anything to the internal temperature.

I have been questioning this lately.

I always thought it was best to start with the SEAR to lock in the juices and then finish baking.

I was wondering if people reverse seared chicken.
People “reverse sear” chicken and other meats all the time with a sous vide

Man on charcoal how do I keep my fire going? I tried indirect this past Saturday and idk if my coals were no good but I could keep my fire flaming hot.

Back
Top Bottom