Official BBQ thread

I’m a charcoal guy through and through. Won’t even consider gas. To me, food cooked on a gas grill always has a certain gas taste to it..no matter what. I may look into a pellet grill at some point though.

caught a good deal in the gas Weber. What pellet do you recommend? Trying to stay under $500 but the lack of searing options (hard to get over 450 from what I read) push me towards gas

Overcooked tf out of that skirt steak the other day :lol: learning as I go though

there was some med rare pieces in there that were good tho. Ive always avoided any pink (prefer medium - plus I never really eat steak) but that might have helped me get over that hump

caught a good deal in the gas Weber. What pellet do you recommend? Trying to stay under $500 but the lack of searing options (hard to get over 450 from what I read) push me towards gas
If you're not in a rush these are out of stock but are coming back in July. Seem solid for searing and under $500

If you're not in a rush these are out of stock but are coming back in July. Seem solid for searing and under $500

Ill check it out. Not a bad price either.

so many more options then Trager last I looked into it.

Whole bird tonight

20200627_185557.jpg

20200627_201304.jpg

What's on the menu for this weekend?

I'm gonna give ribs a shot for the first time. I got a rack of St. Louis style Planning on using my kettle. What's the best method? Best rub I can get from the store and not online? I got some sweet baby rays to sauce it up at the end.

Give me some guidance elpablo21 elpablo21 mplsdunk mplsdunk Comparison Ford Comparison Ford V VeeAhy DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican kdawg kdawg
"Best" is subjective, but I'll tell you what I did for the rack I smoked on Father's day:

Prepare the fire for your smoker. Get the temp between 250-275F and maintain it throughout the cook. Once the desired temp is reached, throw some wood in. I used a blend of oak and apple wood for the rack in question. Don't forget the water pan.

While the smoker is getting to temp, get the ribs ready. Make sure your rack of ribs is thoroughly trimmed and remove the membrane from the underside. I coated the ribs in a little canola oil and seasoned with salt and pepper exclusively. Be mindful not to over-salt the ribs. A 2:1 ratio of pepper-to-salt seems to be the ticket. I like my pepper on the coarser side. It's not good for you as a man, but great for your taste buds.

Once the smoker was ready, I threw the rack on and made to sure to place it about as far away from the heat source as I could get it. Once it's on, you just need to be neurotic about the temperature and maintaining a clean fire. Shouldn't ever have thick clouds of smoke billowing out from the chimney. Try to maintain a thin, blue smoke as best as you can.

As for the cook, I like the 3:2:1 approach. 3 hours unwrapped and exposed to the smoke, wrapped in foil/sprayed/sauced for 2 hours, and unwrapped with a final mop of sauce for an additional hour. I actually used Sweet Baby Ray's for my ribs as well, but I doctored it up with apple cider vinegar, a bunch of black pepper, and some water to thin it out and make it more of a mop sauce than a syrupy/tacky one.

I used a completely different recipe for the rack I did before the one in question, but I figured the above recipe is simple enough and a good riff off of what you're working with.

Post pics of the final product!

Yeah rub wise I would just keep it simple salt,pepper and garlic rub wise. If you get a store rub get something with not alot of salt content. Preferably something with higher sugar content than salt.

3-2-1 as mentioned as well is the best way to start smoking around 250-275. Get some some honey, apple juice and butter for the wrap portion if you're up for it.

I'm keeping it basic with burgers and dogs for Saturday :lol:

Thanks for the replies. Last question...I usually light up a full chimney of charcoal and let it burn through, but I feel like it will get way too hot if I do it that way for ribs. How should I get the charcoal started up? Just like half chimney and dump on some fresh coals?

Thanks for the replies. Last question...I usually light up a full chimney of charcoal and let it burn through, but I feel like it will get way too hot if I do it that way for ribs. How should I get the charcoal started up? Just like half chimney and dump on some fresh coals?

Depends on your smoker but that sounds about right to me - the others will gradually light as the original ones burn down.

Yeah I just have a kettle. That's what I did....thermometer on lid showing like right above 310 or so on the charcoal side...figured should be lower where the ribs are going so just through them on. Couldn't find any wood chunks at the store last night so had to get chips...they just had pecan and apple so went with apple...figured it would be better for the ribs

For the rub I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a little paprika and dark and smoky pepper flakes

6am here in Cali, just got the Masterbuilt 560 loaded with a mix of oak charcoal, mesquite charcoal and Applewood wood chips.

If you haven't seen this thing you just load the charcoal in the chute. I layered it with chips as well to get a nice good smoke.

20200711_060626.jpg
20200711_060646.jpg
20200711_061336.jpg

Trim job was not the best but I'm learing. We will see how this turns out.

Anyone here have the vortex attachment for the Weber kettle? Wondering if it really makes a difference and if it’s worth getting? Trying to get that crispyness on wings

Back
Top Bottom