Official BBQ thread

Tried doing beef ribs again
Left them on for pretty much 8 hours, incl. 1 hour wrapped
They look great and taste better than last time but man, I guess I gotta leave them longer cause look at all that fat that didn’t render :smh: :smh:
Or maybe I need to leave them wrapped for longer?

The bones came out pretty clean too
0EAC2556-FEAF-4B00-BF23-2B678C1F718C.jpeg

F83C8E23-86C6-4587-8AC4-B640F1068B80.jpeg
8DDC1388-56A9-4CFF-8337-3A3ECF70E9F8.jpeg
55DB15D8-9947-4351-A7AD-114200909C87.jpeg
All that fat :smh:
FC8193B1-563D-464A-AD77-E5E92CF12DD7.jpeg
4CF008F7-650D-4866-A9DB-7097681B21ED.jpeg

Tried doing beef ribs again
Left them on for pretty much 8 hours, incl. 1 hour wrapped
They look great and taste better than last time but man, I guess I gotta leave them longer cause look at all that fat that didn’t render :smh: :smh:
Or maybe I need to leave them wrapped for longer?

The bones came out pretty clean too

What temp did you smoke them at?

What was your internal temp when you finished?

Meat looks amazing but fat kinda grossing me out. I never see beef rib cut like this though, ya'll get it from a butcher?
Grosses me out too :lol: yea it’s from a butcher, came as a rack with 3 bones. I took out the bones and tried to get some fat from in between the layers so that might be why it looks weird
It's pretty good. Real peppery

Meat Church got some solid rubs
between both rubs, the amount of black pepper actually make it kinda spicy
I enjoy spicy foods so I’m ok with it, just wasn’t expecting that
What temp did you smoke them at?

What was your internal temp when you finished?
Maintained at 255 for most of the time, but flared up to 300-almost 350 for a bit before I got it back under control
I didn’t check the temp at the end. I’m guessing 200ish

I think I gotta do 6 hours uncovered and 3-4 wrapped next time. Idk how else I could melt that fat

Grosses me out too :lol: yea it’s from a butcher, came as a rack with 3 bones. I took out the bones and tried to get some fat from in between the layers so that might be why it looks weird

between both rubs, the amount of black pepper actually make it kinda spicy
I enjoy spicy foods so I’m ok with it, just wasn’t expecting that

Maintained at 255 for most of the time, but flared up to 300-almost 350 for a bit before I got it back under control
I didn’t check the temp at the end. I’m guessing 200ish

I think I gotta do 6 hours uncovered and 3-4 wrapped next time. Idk how else I could melt that fat
Yeah that seemed like plenty of time and a good temp even with the spike to render out most that fat.

Maybe you just got more than normal fatty slab

Grilling the turkey this year. Plan is to do 2 charcoal baskets (1 on each side) Turkey in middle with water pan underneath. Was gonna season it with poultry seasoning, garlic, butter. Inject it with Tony Chacheres. Thinking about throwing a chunk of hickory wood in there. All the videos I've watched say it should take about 3 hours running about 350-375

Grilling the turkey this year. Plan is to do 2 charcoal baskets (1 on each side) Turkey in middle with water pan underneath. Was gonna season it with poultry seasoning, garlic, butter. Inject it with Tony Chacheres. Thinking about throwing a chunk of hickory wood in there. All the videos I've watched say it should take about 3 hours running about 350-375

Grilling or smoking?

EYE would suggest putting the charcoal baskets on one side to smoke it.

It is too much meat ( # ) to "grill."

Also, make sure you brine that thing overnight.

Grilling or smoking?

EYE would suggest putting the charcoal baskets on one side to smoke it.

It is too much meat ( # ) to "grill."

Also, make sure you brine that thing overnight.
I was kinda gonna do a mix, but was originally leaning towards smoking...think I should go lower temp and smoke it more?

Was thinking back at smoking my first turkey and how nervous I was. I must've read about the Danger Zone for multiple weeks straight. I was not going to be the one to get someone sick 😆

Big bird (26lbs) I'm just gonna roast with the fam's dressing

But got myself a breast, thighs and a brisket to throw on the smoker.

20211123_143419.jpg

Brine time

Was thinking back at smoking my first turkey and how nervous I was. I must've read about the Danger Zone for multiple weeks straight. I was not going to be the one to get someone sick 😆

Big bird (26lbs) I'm just gonna roast with the fam's dressing

But got myself a breast, thighs and a brisket to throw on the smoker.

20211123_143419.jpg

Brine time
I got a 13lb fresh turkey. What are you brining it with

I got a 13lb fresh turkey. What are you brining it with
Nice. I would tend to agree going the smoking route too and cranking up the heat into roasting territory towards the end. Are you spatchcocking your bird? I could see you being able to grill/sear it at the end as a finishing touch that way

Brine I have has Salt, Pepper, White Sugar, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Garlic, Oregano and Cider Vinegar.

Gonna brine my smaller cuts tomorrow with a "smoky" premade brine from that Pioneer Lady and see how it turns out

large_4b738006-f42c-403d-bc43-5bd362154dd8.jpeg

jrp44 jrp44

Also, I would suggest Spatchcocking your turkey. I honestly don't see the point of cooking a turkey without doing so. It cuts down on the cook time and it promotes even cooking.

And again, brine brine brine brine brine.

Wish me luck. First time cooking turkey. Brined for 24 hours using this Disney copycat recipe but added an orange to help tenderize the meat. A couple different rub combinations on the legs, left the wing naked as a control. Smoking with hickory chunks for 4-5 hours.
FBA7B1A1-9E69-4929-B32C-BA909F1A85AE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom