Official Cooking Steak Thread

Can't believe so many folks would eat their steak anything past medium!

Dont eem like my burgers past that temp.

Last edited:
thats a snack not dinner fam

Right.

I got dat food lion brand bologna too.
The kind where u peel off the edge |I

I put 8 slices on my samwich and im still hungry

Last edited:
Can't believe so many folks would eat their steak anything past medium!

Dont eem like my burgers past that temp.
Mayne idk, i like my burgers brown all the way through.

maybe a little pink if its a thick pattie
devil.gif
like my steak medium to medium well. 

Last edited:
Went to Wegman's and copped 2 porterhouse's for me and the lady and a ribeye for myself this weekend.

Literally my first time cooking a steak and It came out pretty good. Put some salt & pepper and a bit of oil on em and seared em in some butter and some garlic. I let it cook for 4 minutes each side and will probably trim the time down to 3 minutes next time to get it medium rare. Only issued I had was my crib got extra smokey from the pan being all the way turned up, my spot looked like shanghai a few days ago.

Fellas, any tips on gettin a really good thick crust on a steak? My pops ordered a steak from Houston's years ago and it had this crust that was just ridiculously good.

About to cook some sirloins for the first time ever tomorrow.

If I marinate them, how long should I let them soak?

Last edited:
I usually just go with the standard salt and pepper for my steaks but, I've been venturing into different rubs for steaks. There's so many various rubs. Thinking about trying a coffee based rub next since I saw an episode where Nick Stellino demonstrated the recipe. Looked real good.

Coffee Rub:
1 tablespoon ground espresso coffee
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon C&H[emoji]174[/emoji] Golden Brown or Domino[emoji]174[/emoji] Light Brown sugar

If I can I always get my burger medium rare if they serve it or if I make it myself.

Also been thinking if I go to a quality steakhouse I'd get my steak bleu just to try it once.

Mayne idk, i like my burgers brown all the way through.

maybe a little pink if its a thick pattie

Burgers need to be cooked all the way - ground beef isn't like steak where you could eat it raw.

The only exception is if you make your own burgers by grinding beef - which is delicious. If you're buying burgers you need to make sure the internal temp is 160F.

^
I used to cook my burgers all the way but now I leave some pink, word to Red Robin.

I was at a Korean restaurant and ordered this weird traditional dish with raw beef / tartare with a raw egg on top. Wasn't bad.

^ people inspecting the color of cooked meat is one of my pet peeves (especially chicken). It's not the color that matters for safe cooking, it's the internal temperature.

That's especially true for chicken - if you cook it so it's white all the way through it is dry and chewy. 165F gives you tender tasty chicken that the FDA has said is safe to eat - but there might be little parts of color near the bones (usually blood vessels rather than meat).

dont know why theres so much hate on well done steak... not everyone likes their steak the same way...i asked the same question on facebook but just got mad hate for no reason :smh: they probably never had good well done steak because if done right :pimp:

Right. Growing up when I ate steak my father would make them and they were pretty tender and juicy. But ive also had well done steaks at restaurants that were dry . Either way, Its simply a preference.

Last edited:
^ people inspecting the color of cooked meat is one of my pet peeves (especially chicken). It's not the color that matters for safe cooking, it's the internal temperature.

That's especially true for chicken - if you cook it so it's white all the way through it is dry and chewy. 165F gives you tender tasty chicken that the FDA has said is safe to eat - but there might be little parts of color near the bones (usually blood vessels rather than meat).

But what if it's still red and the internal temp is at the safe level?

Yeah a cooking thermometer is a good investment. Cheap and easier and more reliable than cutting into your meat.

Hes the main main reason I watch that show lol.

when he went to lowes and dude was like
"Can I help you?"
and he said
"I know more than you" loool

modern day Abraham Lincoln

I am the master of steaks.

Take the slab of meat and leave it outside. While it is outside, it'll settle to room temperature, by outside I mean out of the fridge.

Start heating the pan, the pan needs to be steaming hot, but a teaspoon of butter and spread evenly, while it is heating.

I use the following to give flavor to my steaks:
Red pepper
Black pepper
Thyme
Garlic
Coarse salt
A little nutmeg
Butter while cooking

Add them individually onto the steak, be generous with the salt and black pepper. Thyme has a strong flavor so don't overdo it with thyme. Make sure you season the side of fat too.

Cooking a steak is easy. First off never cut the steak, it'll lose all the juices, second never cook a steak on a warm or medium hot pan, you want it to be steaming hot.

Take your butter out and have a teaspoon or spoon ready. Once the steak is on the pan, leave it there for about 2minutes. During those 2minutes put the butter on the side of the pan allow it to melt, with the melted butter use your spoon and keep pouring it ontop of the steak, continuously. Never stop doing this, you may have to adjust the pan to a slope to reuse some of the butter. The butter adds to the flavor and combined with the nutmeg, it'll give it a nutty natural steak flavor.

As for how do you know if it's rare well medium etc... I use touch, but it would be too difficult to explain with words, as I use the palm of my hand and well it works better with a visual. Google Gordon Ramsey steak temperatures.

And for the cuts, the cuts are only as good as the chef. I've seen/been/eaten with people who buy expensive cuts just to **** it all up with seasoning/cooking.

Start off with a simple T-bone steak, and then work your way up. Never ever begin with a filet mignon or porterhouse or any expensive cut, if you've got the money then sure but even then i wouldn't.

But what if it's still red and the internal temp is at the safe level?

Then it will be juicy and delicious and not make you sick. I can't grill anything (except steak) without a thermometer - it's the only way to know what's going on inside and to avoid overcooking everything.

My dad precooks everything and then just throws it on his gas grill to frazzle the outside and warm it up - you get thin chewy chicken legs and dried out burgers that way.

Back
Top Bottom