Official DragonBall Z Thread. R.I.P Akira Toriyama. You will be missed

Gohan > Buu, easily.

We saw gohan whoop SUPER buu easily. He didn't lose his "mystic" power up. It was just an unlocking of potential. Gohan is always the one with the most potential in the room :nerd:

^^ Yeah but he hasn't been using Mystic.. has been using SSJ.

So is mystic just another power up he can choose to use?

From what I remember, when he got it from Perv Kai, they made it seem like him going SSJ would just result in him going mystic. Has been years though so I may be rusty on this :lol:

^^ Yeah but he hasn't been using Mystic.. has been using SSJ.

So is mystic just another power up he can choose to use?

From what I remember, when he got it from Perv Kai, they made it seem like him going SSJ would just result in him going mystic. Has been years though so I may be rusty on this :lol:

I saw it as an unlocking of potential energy. It made Gohan peak and he was the stronger (non fused) fighter at the time. Now he hasn't been training so he has potential energy again that needs to be tapped into. If he is to tap into this potential energy now that he has been sparring with super saiyan gods and just stronger partners in general... :nerd:

I think the intro hints toward that too. Mystic is something that anyone can attain with the help of a Kai but it benefits Gohan more than anyone else because again, he always has the most potential as the first and oldest child of the universe's greatest fighter

The thing about the mystic power up was that it isn't a transformation, just unlocking his hidden potential into his "base" form. That power/potential hasn't gone away, his body couldn't support it since he wasn't training (remember in RoF, he said he could go SSJ but didn't know how long his body could support the power up)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't his mystic form just the unlocking of his latent potential? So wouldn't that mean it's already out? His lack of training isn't going to lock it back up. He'll just be weaker.

And I was under the impression that mystic wasn't a form per se I liken it with Goku being able to have his God ki without turning transforming. The power is already there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't his mystic form just the unlocking of his latent potential? So wouldn't that mean it's already out? His lack of training isn't going to lock it back up. He'll just be weaker.

And I was under the impression that mystic wasn't a form per se I liken it with Goku being able to have his God ki without turning transforming. The power is already there.
That's correct. Since he hasn't been training, his body and strength is naturally weaker. If he starts training again, he'll regain it BUT with the ridiculous power scaling, no one can really gauge how weak he was/how strong he can get

The thing about the mystic power up was that it isn't a transformation, just unlocking his hidden potential into his "base" form. That power/potential hasn't gone away, his body couldn't support it since he wasn't training (remember in RoF, he said he could go SSJ but didn't know how long his body could support the power up)

You're both right in the sense that it isn't a power up. It's Gohan getting his full potential that only comes out when he's an enraged state come out full force without the need for that catalyst of anger.

Thing is Gohan has a trend of getting energy unlocked, and then getting enraged to a new level. The question now is gohan about to get some potential unlocked or is somebody about to make him throw an epic temper tantrum. Definitely at least one of these is about to happen....

The way Mystic is treated, it is a power up/transformation that Gohan can activate, similar to SSJ1 and SSJ2. Seems like he had it during Battle of Gods, but lost it by the point of Resurrection. He then seems to be capable regaining it, after which he is capable of layering SSJ1 and SSJ2 on top of said Mystic form to grow even stronger.

Last edited:
The way Mystic is treated, it is a power up/transformation that Gohan can activate, similar to SSJ1 and SSJ2. He then seems to be capable of layering SSJ1 and SSJ2 on top of said Mystic form.

Bruh what!

So Mystic just augments his base?! I need to rewatch this ish ASAP

Gohan's Ultimate state allows him access to all of his "latent ability", and then some extra:

Elder Kaiōshin: I can take anyone who is good at what they do, and using my supernatural powers, draw out their latent ability waaay waaay past their limitations.

Once unlocked, Gohan accesses his Ultimate state similarly to how he accesses Super Saiyan:

Gohan: H- how do I become the mightiest of warriors, with strength beyond my limits?
Elder Kaiōshin: Ah, well, you transform into that Super-whatever-you-call-it often enough. That's the gist of it. You just have to get yourself fired up.
Gohan: The gist of becoming Super Saiyan, right? Understood!

While it's never been stated officially, most people take this exchange to mean Gohan no longer needs to transform to access all of his power. This seems to be the case in Dragon Ball Super, when he attempts to use his Ultimate State, fails, and resorts to Super Saiyan instead.

The way Mystic is treated, it is a power up/transformation that Gohan can activate, similar to SSJ1 and SSJ2. He then seems to be capable of layering SSJ1 and SSJ2 on top of said Mystic form.

Bruh what!

So Mystic just augments his base?! I need to rewatch this ish ASAP

I'm just saying that it's the way Mystic is treated. Looking at him after he enters the form and when he fights Super Buu, there's a slight physical/visual difference between how he looked before he powered up and how he looks afterwards. And Old Kai told him to activate it in the same way he would a SSJ transformation, hence me saying it's treated like a transformation. Only difference is that it's not as drastic a physical change as the transformation into SSJ1 is. Rather, it's similar to the difference between SSJ1 and SSJ2, where there's only some lightning and then a few changes to where the character(s) strands of hair falls to signify the difference in form. By all accounts, Gohan was using his Mystic form in Battle of Gods, but no longer had it in Resurrection, thereafter using SSJ1 in a limited capacity. That seems to settle the debate about whether or not Mystic was a permanent power-up/amp to his Base form and is another reason I say it's treated like a transformation. By the time he's sparring with Goku in recent episodes, he looks to have regained the Mystic form and you then see him layering SSJ1 on top of it during that sparring session, which makes sense. The SSJ transformations have nothing to do with potential and they aren't natural. They're amps that literally multiply whatever your Base power level at the time is by a certain amount, whereas Mystic is all about drawing out the natural potential Gohan has in his body at a given time.

Last edited:
Hmm I think you guys are right in it being a "transformation"

[Video]

Gohan: all I have to do is go super saiyan

Later on

Goku: he has more power than he ever did as a super saiyan...but he looks normal.[/Video]

Last edited:
If they give gohan mystic mode better than god mode

Vegeta stans gonna be hurt

It would be nice if his role were to become the new hero

Okay I need to rewatch a few things. (Gohan going mystic in BoG, "layering" ssj1 on top of Mystic vs. Goku)

yeah the mechanics of this are getting way more technical than i thought :lol:

I just thought it was like he either goes Mystic or he goes SSJ, with mystic being his last resort form.
didn't know it was something that he could "lose" if he didn't train

so Mystic can be layered like
Kiao Ken and God form?

This is just one argument for it. The Mystic/Ultimate state has always been heavily debated, since there really isn't much information on it. One side argues that Mystic/Ultimate is Gohan's peak and that he can't use SSJ1 or SSJ2 to further increase his strength once he has that. For their side, SSJ1 and SSJ2 are separate from Mystic and he can therefore choose to use SSJ1/SSJ2 or Mystic, giving him a total of 3 transformations in all. The other side argues that he can use SSJ1, SSJ2, and Mystic, but that, after going Mystic, he can still use SSJ1 and SSJ2 as well, on top of Mystic, giving him a total of 5 transformations in all. I side with the latter argument and was only saying that Mystic, at least, seems to always be treated as something that the character can "transform" into, hence me saying it's a transformation. Seems to me that it's then just like Goku using the Kaio Ken in conjunction with SSJ, in that Mystic Gohan can still use SSJ1 and SSJ2 to increase his strength even further.

And I then argued about him seeming to lose the Mystic state due to Resurrection.

Last edited:
yeah the mechanics of this are getting way more technical than i thought :lol:

I just thought it was like he either goes Mystic or he goes SSJ, with mystic being his last resort form.
didn't know it was something that he could "lose" if he didn't train

That's what bothers me as well. It being transformation ***** up a lot of db theory. Because if the standard rules apply and I use "rules" very VERY loosely. He should still be able to attain his mystic form but it would just be weaker due to his lack of training.

I always looked at Gohans mystic form the equivalent as Naruto's sage mode.

And when mystic was originally introduced, Gohan no longer had the ability to turn SSJ, the kaio's said it themselves.

Gohan would have beaten Buu had he been able to go SSJ

**** is all out of order now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom