Official Eminem - Relapse Thread - May 19th

this album definetely blows encore out the water..... yes he talks about all this stupid !@%$ but he been gone for so long that his music is like breath offresh air..... hopefully relapse 2 will be as dope as this is...

Here is a nice review on the album from Crave

Review: Eminem - Relapse

How am I suddenly an Eminem fan?
BY JOHNNY FIRECLOUD
MAY 08, 2009
Did you take Eminem seriously when Slim Shady first hit? Because I sure as hell didn't - I wrote him off as a novelty act, a violent-hijinks pop-cultureclown that deserved roughly as much respect as MC Hammer. That feeling stayed pretty constant over the next decade or so, and I was comfortable keeping it thatway - until tonight, when I got my hands on an early copy of his new Relapse album. After hearing the entire 80 minute, 20 song goliath of an album, I have tosay that any future discussion of it Eminem's prowess and evolution as an artist will take on an entirely new context.

The story's been well-documented: Back in 2004, Eminem dropped from the face of the music industry, enduring a series of personal setbacks that sent himdeeper into solitude and eventually the welcoming, poisonous arms of addiction. Having taken some personal time and inventory, Em drew up a new battle plan,put on his lab coat and went to work with Dr. Dre. The lips were sewn shut. The rumors were rampant, not a damn one of them true - except that some next-level*@$+ was going down. And now, five years later, we've got the proof.

Let's put it this way: it's no wonder that 50 Cent's going back to the drawing board and Dre's starting to make Axl Rose look trigger-happy.This album is a game-changer for everyone associated or in competition with the bleach-topped (former?) Dre disciple, and will certainly be remembered asEminem's finest moment thus far. Hell, album closer Underground slaps the entire rap playbook to the ground in brutal, gravel-voiced, thunderstorm-riddenfashion, all by itself.

But let's back up.

After a typically theatrical/comedic opening, Relapse begins with the song's protagonist on a pill-popping murder spree (3am). String bursts and keys lay adramatic, foreboding tone that sets the stage as Em spits one of his most pedophillically hilarious lines ever in the second verse:

Sitting nude in my living room / it's almost noon / I wonder what's on the tube / maybe they'll show some boobs / surfing every channel until Ifind Hannah Montana / then I reach for the Aloe & Lanolin / Bust all over the wall panel …and so on. He then moves on to Silence of the Lambs referencesand all other kinds of antics, tripping balls, freaking epileptic in the woods and so on. Somehow, what began as a gimmick has become a bona fide art form, andthe airtight rhymes that carry on far beyond the initial payoff are a sign of what's to come - an album where no stone is unturned, no combination of wordshas escaped forensic scrutiny.

Marshall goes on a Valium rant about his mom (My Mom), grinds jaws into the ground with a seriously #$$#*$ up incest blast (Insane) and slaps around Mariah andNick Cannon over a Middle-Eastern-laced old-school Dre beat (Bagpipes From Baghdad), but really starts spreading his chameleon wings on Hello. It's herethat he drops a pop-lock flow that, just maybe, intentionally steps to Em derivitave Mickey Avalon's style and backhands him in the face with it.

Skip right over the gruesome rape scene that is Tonya, and find yourself sucked immediately into the bass-heavy clap jam Same Song & Dance, tales of amurderous look back on love gone…wrong doesn't quite cover it. We're not dealing with any new thematic ground here, or throughout much of Relapse, butthe lyrical design, flow and production value are far beyond anything we've heard thus far from Mr. Mathers.

In standard form, he takes aim at the celebrity sideshows of the day with vitriolic wit all over the map, particularly on first single We Made You. Sure, maybenobody's talking about Sarah Palin anymore, but bearing in mind that the guy's been off the scene for five years, we should probably be thankfulhe's not rhyming about Rumsfeld and Anna Nicole Smith. Although it is a little peculiar that there's more than a couple references to late Supermanstar Christopher Reeve littered throughout Relapse.

On Paul, Em's manager Paul Rosenberg turns in his stripes in a voicemail after hearing the album: "…and then the whole gay step-father incest rape*@$+? I don't have your back on this one. I can't even ++%@*%! handle it. I'm done.

A creepy piano, wet-shot drumming and rising ghostette lay the groundwork forMust Be The Ganja, a tale of paranoia and discombobulation brought on by…wait,what were we talking about again?

Old Times Sake is the obligatory Dre-dripping jam that's got the right punch, but oddly serves as a weak link in the album - not quite as skippable asCrack a Bottle, but still a fairly dismissible song despite a tight little hook.

20 tracks into an album, any other artist would likely go out with a feeble skit, a shout-out, a funny little ditty. Marshall didn't take that route.Underground, the final track on Relapse, is quite simply Eminem's Illmatic. It's far and away the most devastating and innovative rhyme Mathers hasever spit, and carries an entire album's worth of power in its six minutes and eleven seconds.

While most other MCs talk about what they're drankin' and telling tired tales of blazing trees and sluggin' 40s, Mathers is riding muted guitartension with an unrivaled, venomous fervor, spitting lines like The %#$!$+ antichrist is back, Danny/ It's Satan in black satin panties/ This isAmityville, calamity, goddamnit/ Insanity pills, fanny pack filled with Xannies/ Through every nook & cranny/ lookin for trannies… and so on. Twisted *@$+,and a hard knee to the groin of political correctness, but with a talent that's impossible to deny.

By the way - let's try to keep ourselves in check this time, folks. We're not talking about the artistic value of Hitler's paintings. Eminem'sa character, telling a story. Keep that in mind at all times, and nobody has to start picketing and passing blame.

Em's gravity comes not only from his flow, but from the fact that underneath the twisted bastard whack-job superstar persona, he's just a guy ridingthe tide. Tthe slowjam Beautiful is autobiographical, introspective, philosophical and hilarious all at once. The man's soul shines clear through themusic, and regardless of how often he says "!*#*" or makes meat-suits out of every sacred cow in the book, that's always going to give him anedge on the groove-hustlers.

The style Eminem experimented with on Encore has been polished, pimped and thrown into 5th gear, and the result? Well, you can check that Asher Roth ++%+*##%at the door. The real Slim Shady has returned, and there's no coming back from this Relapse.

CraveOnline's Rating: 8 out of 10

all that and a 8/10 lol ... but if i was paid to write reviews, ida probably said the same thing ...

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

all that and a 8/10 lol ... but if i was paid to write reviews, ida probably said the same thing ...
you wouldn't mention Deja Vu or beautiful...

Dude had a good review but left off two major tracks

yeah i mean minus the first part about think em was irrelevant, because that right there takes his credibility off the table ... i was more referring to whereem was coming from and what he tried to do with it ...

the whole time though the best part of the album is the last skit when dude says heres 2 albums ...

So I'm kind of curious to see where people rank this vs Carter 3...

Since Carter 3 was the big seller last summer...

Based on merrit of the album alone, should Relapse sell more than C3?

IMO yes....

i think relapse 2 is gonna be nuts. isn't relapse 2 suppose to be a continuation from relapse? if so i hope underground is a "hyping up" thereturn of slim shady
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

IMO yes....
this shouldn't even be a question

Originally Posted by nbamj2131

How would you guys rank the album against his others?

Slim Shady LP and Ep
Marshall Mathers LP
Relapse
Infinite
Eminem Show
Encore

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

i mean compared to carter 3 em should go 2x plat in the first week and sell over 8 mili ... i dont know if he can, but his sales will tell youjust how bad the game is right now ... cuz if em cant go 5x plat off this i dunno

"Dr. Dre 2010...And his !%!% is hella hard homieeee"
laugh.gif

This album is CRAZY

I can see why some dont like it, cause the content isnt for everyone, but we can all agree the sound of it is amazing
From the beats to the flows, you cant deny that...

Personally, the accent makes me laugh most of the time... He is just %#!%%+% around and is still %+!%!@% on everyone else in rap

if you had 500millie would you be rapping about serious topics and in your real voice?

or would you even manage to gain the motivation to even make an album?

Well, Jay has more money than Em, and he still raps normal

But like i said the accent is comedy to me so i dont mind it, As long as its not an '@@* Like That' type of track

Originally Posted by PAsSback

But like i said the accent is comedy to me so i dont mind it, As long as its not an '@@* Like That' type of track

huh? did i miss something ...

I say this album does big numbers not huuuuge, 750-approaching platinum in first week i would suspect.

The singles are selling real well on itunes, I see that as a sign of whats to come.

No love for Same Song and Dance? Tonya and then Same Song and Dance makes it extremely eerie. It's crazy.

uh....nah...Eminem is still richer than Jay.

and jay's album won't be coming out this year

rap is a game, when u take a game serious....u lost

Originally Posted by Shaky3

No love for Same Song and Dance? Tonya and then Same Song and Dance makes it extremely eerie. It's crazy.
word

i had to listen to it a few times

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

huh? did i miss something ...

Na, BWS said why would he be motivated to use his normal voice if he is already rich... So thats where my explanation came from

BWS, how do you figure Em is richer... Jay is invested in a lot of different arenas in the business world and has been puttin out mainstream albums since 96...jus curious, maybe you know something that i dont..

Originally Posted by BWS FOOT SOLDIER

uh....nah...Eminem is still richer than Jay.

and jay's album won't be coming out this year

rap is a game, when u take a game serious....u lost
laugh.gif
No, he's not.

Jay-Z got more money than Eminem without a doubt, alot due to recent touring that Jay has done and Eminem has not done at all.

Dre might have as much money as Jay

Back
Top Bottom