Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by acidicality

lmao
laugh.gif
, judging from your stance it's the same as mine. I didn't put down anything offensive at all, so I have no idea where you're getting that from, unless you're Wat Misaka's grandson or something (and even then, I never meant to disrespect them at all).

So...you agreed with me all along?
laugh.gif
I don't even know. But yeah, we can agree to disagree, I guess which would be on the the "impact" of previous Asian-Americans in the NBA? If that's the case, no problems. No need to argue and debate over a little detail.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
I respect you.

And to be honest, it wasn't even you that offended me initially. It was dyyhard.  

lmao
laugh.gif
, judging from your stance it's the same as mine. I didn't put down anything offensive at all, so I have no idea where you're getting that from, unless you're Wat Misaka's grandson or something (and even then, I never meant to disrespect them at all).

laugh.gif
I don't even know. But yeah, we can agree to disagree, I guess which would be on the the "impact" of previous Asian-Americans in the NBA? If that's the case, no problems. No need to argue and debate over a little detail.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
I respect you.

And to be honest, it wasn't even you that offended me initially. It was dyyhard.  

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

lmao
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
I respect you.

??? I looked over your first reply to my comments, and I saw you were upset about my reference to him speaking English. think i said, "finally someone who speaks English!!!" It was said half-jokingly. but you can't deny that it's easier to relate to someone who speaks fluent English (among other things), rather than someone who speaks a few word of English or uses it as a second language. It's easier to carry on a conversation and actually understand/detect/convey what that player/person is feeling. I wasn't knocking foreign basketball players' inability to be fluent in English as a second language. not sure what exactly you were offended by.

lmao
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
I respect you.

??? I looked over your first reply to my comments, and I saw you were upset about my reference to him speaking English. think i said, "finally someone who speaks English!!!" It was said half-jokingly. but you can't deny that it's easier to relate to someone who speaks fluent English (among other things), rather than someone who speaks a few word of English or uses it as a second language. It's easier to carry on a conversation and actually understand/detect/convey what that player/person is feeling. I wasn't knocking foreign basketball players' inability to be fluent in English as a second language. not sure what exactly you were offended by.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

This is basketball at the end of the day. You don't need to know English to play the game. If English as a first language is such a big criteria for you to relate to someone, well I feel sorry for you. And to be honest, it's not like you talking to JLin or Yao so why does it matter what language they learned first? Both know English. And yes, you did take a indirect shot at Yao with that half-joke post. Yao's my man. Stop hating.
tongue.gif

This is basketball at the end of the day. You don't need to know English to play the game. If English as a first language is such a big criteria for you to relate to someone, well I feel sorry for you. And to be honest, it's not like you talking to JLin or Yao so why does it matter what language they learned first? Both know English. And yes, you did take a indirect shot at Yao with that half-joke post. Yao's my man. Stop hating.
tongue.gif

tongue.gif

never said anything about Yao's game. I can respect his game without being able to understand what he says. I just think the interest in JL goes further for Asian-American, even American fans, because they can sit through a 9 minute interview and listen and understand what he says about the game. You can't tell me you've gained any insight into the process of making it with based solely on what Yao has had to say. Cus I know I barely remember anything Yi Jianlian has said about the game, especially with an interpreter. That's another point, many of us first-generation ASAMs, including JL from what I've heard, can't even speak our parent's native language fluently, so there is often a communication gap.

If JL's game was horrible, let's face it none of us would like him, nor would he be in this position. Where guards  like Sun Yue and Yuta Tabuse were seen as novelty items/ marketing ploys, I think some of us actually believe he will make the Warriors squad and be more than those two, having a career span and having and impact of a Yao, Yi.

If English as a first language is such a big criteria for you to relate to someone, well I feel sorry for you.
In the real world, outside of watching basketball, having English as the common denominator in communication is a big criteria which allows me to relate to someone - it makes communication easy and free. Without it being first on the other side, it wouldn't deter me from trying to get to know that person.
Not sure what there is to "feel sorry" about...

Both know English.
yeah but I'll let Jeremy Lin write my paper/thesis for me and speak on my behalf.

tongue.gif

never said anything about Yao's game. I can respect his game without being able to understand what he says. I just think the interest in JL goes further for Asian-American, even American fans, because they can sit through a 9 minute interview and listen and understand what he says about the game. You can't tell me you've gained any insight into the process of making it with based solely on what Yao has had to say. Cus I know I barely remember anything Yi Jianlian has said about the game, especially with an interpreter. That's another point, many of us first-generation ASAMs, including JL from what I've heard, can't even speak our parent's native language fluently, so there is often a communication gap.

If JL's game was horrible, let's face it none of us would like him, nor would he be in this position. Where guards  like Sun Yue and Yuta Tabuse were seen as novelty items/ marketing ploys, I think some of us actually believe he will make the Warriors squad and be more than those two, having a career span and having and impact of a Yao, Yi.

If English as a first language is such a big criteria for you to relate to someone, well I feel sorry for you.
In the real world, outside of watching basketball, having English as the common denominator in communication is a big criteria which allows me to relate to someone - it makes communication easy and free. Without it being first on the other side, it wouldn't deter me from trying to get to know that person.

Both know English.
yeah but I'll let Jeremy Lin write my paper/thesis for me and speak on my behalf.

scrappy player (like most guys fighting for the final roster spot).  his impact will be minimal since he probably won't get any real burn.  the w's took a chance with him, they have nothing to lose since his contract isn't worth "much" as far as nba salaries.  fans will definitely be backing him up
laugh.gif

scrappy player (like most guys fighting for the final roster spot).  his impact will be minimal since he probably won't get any real burn.  the w's took a chance with him, they have nothing to lose since his contract isn't worth "much" as far as nba salaries.  fans will definitely be backing him up
laugh.gif

Smh. The NT community never fails to deliver on its fair share of ignorance and bigotry. Funny, the people who often make ignorant comments are usually the first ones to be offended when something is said (that they do not like) about their own ethnicity, culture, religion or community. Anyway, it is premature to assume that this guy will pan out. However, if he does make it to the League, it is something that only a minuscule number of people achieve. He is better than millions of so-called "ballers". The Asian population accounts for such a small percentage of the U.S population, so this might be even more of an accomplishment. My two cents.

Smh. The NT community never fails to deliver on its fair share of ignorance and bigotry. Funny, the people who often make ignorant comments are usually the first ones to be offended when something is said (that they do not like) about their own ethnicity, culture, religion or community. Anyway, it is premature to assume that this guy will pan out. However, if he does make it to the League, it is something that only a minuscule number of people achieve. He is better than millions of so-called "ballers". The Asian population accounts for such a small percentage of the U.S population, so this might be even more of an accomplishment. My two cents.

dyyhard wrote:
tongue.gif

Both know English.

Do you know why you don't hear about Yao and Yi talking about the game of basketball? Their life stories? Cause you don't know Chinese!
laugh.gif

You are just using your own limitations in communication as an excuse. That is why I feel sorry for you. 

Talking all this Asian American pride, but not even caring about Asian language part.

Sun Yue got a ring, yo! And he'll write your thesis in Chinese!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by acts65

TrueHoop: Jeremy Lin makes good

How important is the [Asian-American] identity stuff?
You know, it's important but not as important as my being a Christian. That's first and foremost the most important thing to me when it comes to my identity.

Good for him to speak how he really feels about this Asian American talk.

dyyhard wrote:
tongue.gif

Both know English.

Do you know why you don't hear about Yao and Yi talking about the game of basketball? Their life stories? Cause you don't know Chinese!
laugh.gif

You are just using your own limitations in communication as an excuse. That is why I feel sorry for you. 

Talking all this Asian American pride, but not even caring about Asian language part.

tongue.gif

You know, it's important but not as important as my being a Christian. That's first and foremost the most important thing to me when it comes to my identity.

dyyhard wrote:
tongue.gif

Both know English.

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

you're just making assumptions....i was born and raised here and my parents taught me taiwanese hokkien. i understand and speak it. in fact it was my first language as a baby until kindergarten. And I am proud that they mainly taught me "Taiwanese". Chinese writing not at all. mandarin i know conversational basics... And I admitted my limitations in understanding Yao and Yi based on the English language, thanks for informing me, when it's apparent we're talking about the English language. Not sure why you are choose to come across as condescending toward me directly. I'm assuming you "feel sorry" ANYONE that can't understand Mandarin fluently??? Conversationally, people understand others based on what languages they know; it's not an excuse for anything. it as you said, a limitation. That's where ASAM/Americans can gravitate toward JL when you hear him speak, those limitations are removed. They don't have to hear an interpreter or rough English.

And Sun Yue writing a thesis? are you kidding me? 
laugh.gif
dude I'll take a Harvard educated graduate over someone who I'm pretty sure didn't attend college.

dyyhard wrote:
tongue.gif

Both know English.

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

you're just making assumptions....i was born and raised here and my parents taught me taiwanese hokkien. i understand and speak it. in fact it was my first language as a baby until kindergarten. And I am proud that they mainly taught me "Taiwanese". Chinese writing not at all. mandarin i know conversational basics... And I admitted my limitations in understanding Yao and Yi based on the English language, thanks for informing me, when it's apparent we're talking about the English language. Not sure why you are choose to come across as condescending toward me directly. I'm assuming you "feel sorry" ANYONE that can't understand Mandarin fluently??? Conversationally, people understand others based on what languages they know; it's not an excuse for anything. it as you said, a limitation. That's where ASAM/Americans can gravitate toward JL when you hear him speak, those limitations are removed. They don't have to hear an interpreter or rough English.

And Sun Yue writing a thesis? are you kidding me? 
laugh.gif
dude I'll take a Harvard educated graduate over someone who I'm pretty sure didn't attend college.

Observation

Non asians making comments about asians: Asian people are short
laugh.gif
, he Actually speaks english
laugh.gif
, I bet I can school him one on one
laugh.gif
. "It's all jokes!"

Reaction of non asians to Jackie Robinson comment: THAT"S IGNORANT!
smh.gif
, uncalled for
indifferent.gif
, can't believe this dude
mad.gif

Observation

Non asians making comments about asians: Asian people are short
laugh.gif
, he Actually speaks english
laugh.gif
, I bet I can school him one on one
laugh.gif
. "It's all jokes!"

Reaction of non asians to Jackie Robinson comment: THAT"S IGNORANT!
smh.gif
, uncalled for
indifferent.gif
, can't believe this dude
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom