Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

you're just making assumptions....i was born and raised here and my parents taught me taiwanese hokkien. i understand and speak it. in fact it was my first language as a baby until kindergarten. And I am proud that they mainly taught me "Taiwanese". Chinese writing not at all. mandarin i know conversational basics... And I admitted my limitations in understanding Yao and Yi based on the English language, thanks for informing me, when it's apparent we're talking about the English language. Not sure why you are choose to come across as condescending toward me directly. I'm assuming you "feel sorry" ANYONE that can't understand Mandarin fluently??? Conversationally, people understand others based on what languages they know; it's not an excuse for anything. it as you said, a limitation. That's where ASAM/Americans can gravitate toward JL when you hear him speak, those limitations are removed. They don't have to hear an interpreter or rough English.

And Sun Yue writing a thesis? are you kidding me? 
laugh.gif
dude I'll take a Harvard educated graduate over someone who I'm pretty sure didn't attend college.
Lets get to the point of this. Your "joke" was lame. I took offense to it because I have been volunteering to help new Asian immigrants learn English in Oakland ever since I moved to the Bay Area for school. Most of them are having a tough time and they will never speak English as smoothly as you. I can care less if you don't know Mandarin, I just hope you realize not everyone is as fortunate as you to have been learning English since Kindergarten. And obviously no one cared about your "joke" except me because it wasn't even funny. I will do my best to just ignore your future comments because we obviously don't agree with each other.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

damn 19pgs

And my bad to NT for making this thread so long. I'll take the L on that. 
laugh.gif

you're just making assumptions....i was born and raised here and my parents taught me taiwanese hokkien. i understand and speak it. in fact it was my first language as a baby until kindergarten. And I am proud that they mainly taught me "Taiwanese". Chinese writing not at all. mandarin i know conversational basics... And I admitted my limitations in understanding Yao and Yi based on the English language, thanks for informing me, when it's apparent we're talking about the English language. Not sure why you are choose to come across as condescending toward me directly. I'm assuming you "feel sorry" ANYONE that can't understand Mandarin fluently??? Conversationally, people understand others based on what languages they know; it's not an excuse for anything. it as you said, a limitation. That's where ASAM/Americans can gravitate toward JL when you hear him speak, those limitations are removed. They don't have to hear an interpreter or rough English.

And Sun Yue writing a thesis? are you kidding me? 
laugh.gif
dude I'll take a Harvard educated graduate over someone who I'm pretty sure didn't attend college.
Lets get to the point of this. Your "joke" was lame. I took offense to it because I have been volunteering to help new Asian immigrants learn English in Oakland ever since I moved to the Bay Area for school. Most of them are having a tough time and they will never speak English as smoothly as you. I can care less if you don't know Mandarin, I just hope you realize not everyone is as fortunate as you to have been learning English since Kindergarten. And obviously no one cared about your "joke" except me because it wasn't even funny. I will do my best to just ignore your future comments because we obviously don't agree with each other.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

damn 19pgs

And my bad to NT for making this thread so long. I'll take the L on that. 
laugh.gif

My butt hurts from all this stereotype/borderline racism going on here. Yes, my butt; it hurts.

My butt hurts from all this stereotype/borderline racism going on here. Yes, my butt; it hurts.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Like I said it was mentioned in jest - not to offend anyone; but there is truth to it - he speaks English well. What's there to disagree about that? He was born here. Although he said he doesn't identify himself foremost as one, he is an Asian American representative to a lot of people, a main part of that is because he speaks English without any problems. Say the opposite, you have a white/black person from America who goes to China and they come an excel in pingpong - they learn basic mandarin. Then later on there comes along a white/black person who actually was born in China and plays pingpong well and speaks Mandarin fluently....what will stand out aside from the skill in sport is his ability to communicate perfectly with other Chinese. "He speaks Chinese!!!". It's not a knock on anyone trying to learn the language, it just stands out, when you hear him speak. So I apologize if you were offended, I've tutored kids as well in English on a private basis before so I know the difficulties in learning another language as do most people who try to pick up another language, the intention was never there. If you think my comment was lame, I can disagree with you on that based on the truth to it, but I don't see why you think I'm disagreeing with you with some things that you've mentioned.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Like I said it was mentioned in jest - not to offend anyone; but there is truth to it - he speaks English well. What's there to disagree about that? He was born here. Although he said he doesn't identify himself foremost as one, he is an Asian American representative to a lot of people, a main part of that is because he speaks English without any problems. Say the opposite, you have a white/black person from America who goes to China and they come an excel in pingpong - they learn basic mandarin. Then later on there comes along a white/black person who actually was born in China and plays pingpong well and speaks Mandarin fluently....what will stand out aside from the skill in sport is his ability to communicate perfectly with other Chinese. "He speaks Chinese!!!". It's not a knock on anyone trying to learn the language, it just stands out, when you hear him speak. So I apologize if you were offended, I've tutored kids as well in English on a private basis before so I know the difficulties in learning another language as do most people who try to pick up another language, the intention was never there. If you think my comment was lame, I can disagree with you on that based on the truth to it, but I don't see why you think I'm disagreeing with you with some things that you've mentioned.

20 pages + and he hasn't played a minute in the L yet
eek.gif

KLJ pointed out Asian Americans rooting for Lin because he's Asian American, and he's right.

..But he roots for Cutler, Korver, and Mike Posner in the music forum

*jokes my dude
laugh.gif

20 pages + and he hasn't played a minute in the L yet
eek.gif

KLJ pointed out Asian Americans rooting for Lin because he's Asian American, and he's right.

..But he roots for Cutler, Korver, and Mike Posner in the music forum

*jokes my dude
laugh.gif

[h1]Not everyone surprised by Lin in NBA[/h1]
By Vytas Mazeika
Daily News Staff Writer

Posted: 07/24/2010 12:19:33 AM PDT

Updated: 07/24/2010 12:19:33 AM PDT

To hear it from those closest to Jeremy Lin, it almost sounds like the point guard out of Palo Alto High was destined to reach the NBA.

At the very least, those who know Lin didn't doubt him.

"To be honest with you, it wasn't a surprise," said Cooper Miller, a teammate at Paly during the 2006 CIF Div. II state title campaign. "I knew that if there was anyone that could go and play at that level, it would always be him. He was always so humble about his skill level, but at the same his work ethic was unending and unfaltering."

Thomas Fang met Lin, the newest Golden State Warrior after signing a two-year contract Wednesday, at a Chinese basketball grade during the sixth grade.

"His mom noticed me and actually recruited me to play on his AAU team," said Fang, who played club ball with Lin starting when they were 11.

High school was a different story, as Fang went to Archbishop Mitty-San Jose and lost his final high school game to Lin in the NorCal final.

"I always knew he was going to make it," said Fang, who became a walk-on at Cal. "He's just persistent in everything and he's one of the toughest and most competitive guys out there."

Lin could barely crack 5-foot-10 most of his high school career, but a late growth spurt changed everything. Lin always had the love and passion for the game, more than willing to put in the time needed to master every technique.

"And then his body caught up to him," Miller said.

Where

Advertisement

did the added inches in height and length — Lin is now 6-foot-3, 205 pounds — make the most impact?
"His ability to take over the game," Fang said. "I thought he was the most skilled point guard, and then with his size not many point guards can stop him."

His coaches are also on board as believers.

"I am not surprised at what Jeremy has accomplished," said Bob Ruehl, an assistant coach at Paly during Lin's senior year. "He had an unbelievable ability to come through when it counted. ... I am so happy for him and his family. He brought the whole Palo Alto community together when he led them to the state championship."

Paly Athletic Director Earl Hansen witnessed Lin's commitment to basketball every time the Vikings legend visited from Harvard. After all, Lin always spent his time in the gym, whether he was in the West or the East Coast.

"I think it's great for Jeremy to realize his dreams," Hansen said. "He's worked hard enough, that's for sure."

Harvard scheduled a game at Santa Clara University during Lin's senior season, and the homecoming was met with unforeseen fervor.

Now a member of Golden State, the excitement has reached a fever pitch.

"It's a big deal in the Asian community to have somebody who grew up in the Bay Area playing for his own team," Fang said. "The story really can't get any better than that."

Well, that all depends on his success in the NBA. And his former assistant coach is confident Lin's open-court prowess and feel for the pick-and-roll will translate well at the next level.

"Jeremy makes plays," Ruehl said. "That is what the pro game is all about."

The Warriors certainly feel Lin will be a good fit.

"I think it makes sense," Miller said. "He deserves it. He's an amazing guy and such an amazing athlete. I'm just glad to have played with him and be part of that whole path, that whole story."

A story with no ending in sight.

"Some people feel it's surreal, but they're going to have to get used to it," Fang said. "He's an NBA player now."
-----------

[h1]Not everyone surprised by Lin in NBA[/h1]
By Vytas Mazeika
Daily News Staff Writer

Posted: 07/24/2010 12:19:33 AM PDT

Updated: 07/24/2010 12:19:33 AM PDT

To hear it from those closest to Jeremy Lin, it almost sounds like the point guard out of Palo Alto High was destined to reach the NBA.

At the very least, those who know Lin didn't doubt him.

"To be honest with you, it wasn't a surprise," said Cooper Miller, a teammate at Paly during the 2006 CIF Div. II state title campaign. "I knew that if there was anyone that could go and play at that level, it would always be him. He was always so humble about his skill level, but at the same his work ethic was unending and unfaltering."

Thomas Fang met Lin, the newest Golden State Warrior after signing a two-year contract Wednesday, at a Chinese basketball grade during the sixth grade.

"His mom noticed me and actually recruited me to play on his AAU team," said Fang, who played club ball with Lin starting when they were 11.

High school was a different story, as Fang went to Archbishop Mitty-San Jose and lost his final high school game to Lin in the NorCal final.

"I always knew he was going to make it," said Fang, who became a walk-on at Cal. "He's just persistent in everything and he's one of the toughest and most competitive guys out there."

Lin could barely crack 5-foot-10 most of his high school career, but a late growth spurt changed everything. Lin always had the love and passion for the game, more than willing to put in the time needed to master every technique.

"And then his body caught up to him," Miller said.

Where

Advertisement

did the added inches in height and length — Lin is now 6-foot-3, 205 pounds — make the most impact?
"His ability to take over the game," Fang said. "I thought he was the most skilled point guard, and then with his size not many point guards can stop him."

His coaches are also on board as believers.

"I am not surprised at what Jeremy has accomplished," said Bob Ruehl, an assistant coach at Paly during Lin's senior year. "He had an unbelievable ability to come through when it counted. ... I am so happy for him and his family. He brought the whole Palo Alto community together when he led them to the state championship."

Paly Athletic Director Earl Hansen witnessed Lin's commitment to basketball every time the Vikings legend visited from Harvard. After all, Lin always spent his time in the gym, whether he was in the West or the East Coast.

"I think it's great for Jeremy to realize his dreams," Hansen said. "He's worked hard enough, that's for sure."

Harvard scheduled a game at Santa Clara University during Lin's senior season, and the homecoming was met with unforeseen fervor.

Now a member of Golden State, the excitement has reached a fever pitch.

"It's a big deal in the Asian community to have somebody who grew up in the Bay Area playing for his own team," Fang said. "The story really can't get any better than that."

Well, that all depends on his success in the NBA. And his former assistant coach is confident Lin's open-court prowess and feel for the pick-and-roll will translate well at the next level.

"Jeremy makes plays," Ruehl said. "That is what the pro game is all about."

The Warriors certainly feel Lin will be a good fit.

"I think it makes sense," Miller said. "He deserves it. He's an amazing guy and such an amazing athlete. I'm just glad to have played with him and be part of that whole path, that whole story."

A story with no ending in sight.

"Some people feel it's surreal, but they're going to have to get used to it," Fang said. "He's an NBA player now."
-----------

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Originally Posted by acidicality

same here, i coulda went on and this would be 30 pages by tomorrow.
laugh.gif

cliffnotes?
-KLJ started the thread as a mockery of Lin's popularity from his SL performance.
-Lin got signed by the Warriors
-Lot of random arguments over how significant his signing is, and other irrelevant stuff

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Originally Posted by acidicality

same here, i coulda went on and this would be 30 pages by tomorrow.
laugh.gif

cliffnotes?
-KLJ started the thread as a mockery of Lin's popularity from his SL performance.
-Lin got signed by the Warriors
-Lot of random arguments over how significant his signing is, and other irrelevant stuff

Back
Top Bottom