Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

Originally Posted by I3

RFX45,

Im looking to spend around 1g for a suit, would you recommend a OTR or a tailored? The thing is i'll be away in Dubai.. so im sure prices will be expensive and I wouldn't have a clue to find a decent tailor.

I would love a slim-cut suit, similar to the picture I posted a few pages back.

For $1k you can get a made to measure suit at almost any department stores but being in Dubai means I can't help you much or recommend anything.
I'm pretty sure finding a decent tailor won't be too difficult in Dubai, so that shouldn't worry you much but not all tailors can make you abespoke suit.
I'm sorry I can't help you much but you need to provide more information like what stores do you have access to or if there are any chances you can buyone in the U.S.?
That Brooks Brothers deal on their 1818 collection is a good deal so depending on your build, it could be a good option. They mgith even ship internationallytoo.

^^^ That is a great deal if it can be added to the 2 for $999 suit sale BB is currently having.
That will drop it to $750 for both suits, $375 each. Not bad at all.
Thanks for the deal Tmuk, I might get myself a pair or suits now.

RFX, one last question...

There aren't any H&M stores in my state, and I really wouldn't want to order a suit online since I don't know my measurements oranything...have you dealt with Men's Warehouse? I got a sports coat there a couple of years ago, and they have a pretty good deal on their alterations (youpay a one-time fee per seam that they work on, then it's covered for life)...I was looking at a Ralph Lauren brand suit, too...I know Ralph Lauren isobviously a pretty big name in the clothing industry, but do they make high-quality suits?

RFX

I just jumped in this thread for the first time and thought it was funny that sale came up. I actually went into Brooks Brothers last night and got that deal(2 for 999) +15% off. Total was around 850. Great deal. Free minor alterations from the tailor (i'm lucky to have a pretty easy body to work with when itcomes to a 42R) and I pick them up next wednesday. I was about to drop 2300 on a Zegna but couldnt pass that deal up. They had some great basics that would begood for anyone that needs some classic suits.

To be honest, I hate Mens Wearhouse. Half of the sales people they have knows nothign about suits.
Ralph Lauren makes decent to great suits, it really varies.
If it is Lauren by RL, it is probably the worst suit they have. They fit horribly and can be purchased at TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc...
I believe this is how the RL line goes when ti comes to suits:
Lauren < POLO < Black Label & Purple Label
I believe RL also has a Blue Label which would probably fall between POLO and BL & PL.

To sum it up, stay away from Men's Wearhouse. I would rather buy a suit from Banana Republic or Express.

Alright, good looks on the info. I'll probably just end up somewhere like Dillard's. There really aren't too many great shops in my area to getsuits from.

Originally Posted by aveezytheBEAST

what color suits are appropirate for the winter season

I am particularly like tweed material for the winter season. The basic colors would work too, navy and charcoal.

Tmay, I'm pretty sure you can find a good place to buy a suit. Check out Nordstrom Rack.
Also, check out the mall stores, although it is not my first choice, Express is a decent place for a suit and if you can find one that fits well, why not?
Or, check out Thick as Thieves LA, I always recommend them. They are higher than your budget but they are pretty good.
I know you are not sure with your measurements and it has to be ordered online but they do have a guide on how to measure yourself.
So that helps if you want to go that route.

Originally Posted by retrospect90

keep this alive! Im a stickler for always wearing suits that have the matching jacket and pants, and im trying to break that. Every time I see someone w/ a pair of pants but a different blazer or jacket on, it always looks nice. What are the 'rules' or 'tips' on doing this?

a suit (jacket and trousers) should be from the same material made at the same time. a sport coat with different trousers is fine but don't try to make ita suit. Basically what I mean is if you have a blue coat don't look for a similar pair of blue pants, people can tell and its ugly. just wear the blue coatwith some brown, grey or other color pants. if you're just looking for advice on matching sportcoats and different color trousers then you need to bringsome examples cause I don't have all day. best thing to do is when you buy the coat have the sales person suggest what colors match with it.

This thread delivers.
happy.gif

And RFX45, I like what I hear out of you in this thread, and the watch one too.
pimp.gif
Definitely know what you're talking about - I hate it when people actlike they know something but throw around terrible advice, and you definitely don't do that.

Kidposite, as far as Charles Tyrwhitt, I'm a big fan of their shirts - I bought like five of them this summer when they had their huge sale. At least forme (6'1", 190-195lbs, former swimmer/ballplayer), the slim fit line fits me really well: It's not crazy-slim, but it's more of anathletic/trim fit. You won't have excess fabric hanging around everywhere, but it's not muscle-shirt fitting either.

And you really can't beat the quality if you get them during their big clearance events, when you can get shirts for like $40-$50 bucks.

Originally Posted by infamousod

Originally Posted by retrospect90

keep this alive! Im a stickler for always wearing suits that have the matching jacket and pants, and im trying to break that. Every time I see someone w/ a pair of pants but a different blazer or jacket on, it always looks nice. What are the 'rules' or 'tips' on doing this?

a suit (jacket and trousers) should be from the same material made at the same time. a sport coat with different trousers is fine but don't try to make it a suit. Basically what I mean is if you have a blue coat don't look for a similar pair of blue pants, people can tell and its ugly. just wear the blue coat with some brown, grey or other color pants. if you're just looking for advice on matching sportcoats and different color trousers then you need to bring some examples cause I don't have all day. best thing to do is when you buy the coat have the sales person suggest what colors match with it.

appreciate that a lot. I just got a nice navy blue suit on tuesday (might post a pic) and I didn't do this, but before the end of the year when I get oneI'll try it.

what color pocket square would you wear with a

suit like this
dqn71c.jpg

with a white or black shirt and a tie like this
864653030_S08_DF_v4_m56577569830559936.jpg

if i go with black i was thinking maybe just going with a solid black obviously. but if i went white do you think black would be nice too?
832280002_F06_X_DF_v4_m56577569830520755.jpg

Why would you kill that beautiful suit with a black shirt? There are limited instances where you could pull off a suit with a black shirt, and none of theminvolve ties. With that particular suit, anything other than white or a very pale blue would kill the suit IMO.

And even with a white shirt that tie is way too close to the color of the suit. Some contrast would do wonders.

I think that suit with a white shirt and almost any non-dark colored tie would be swaggerific. And for the pocket square just pick a color from the tie. Butkeep in mind that you're already wearing a vest, so the square might be a bit much.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Why would you kill that beautiful suit with a black shirt? There are limited instances where you could pull off a suit with a black shirt, and none of them involve ties. With that particular suit, anything other than white or a very pale blue would kill the suit IMO.

And even with a white shirt that tie is way too close to the color of the suit. Some contrast would do wonders.

I think that suit with a white shirt and almost any non-dark colored tie would be swaggerific. And for the pocket square just pick a color from the tie. But keep in mind that you're already wearing a vest, so the square might be a bit much.

good looks, and true i feel you about the pocket square its just cuz i saw that on the first page how it says rock one to keep away from yoru stomach or w/e

Do not wear a black shirt with it or else you will look like a butler.
Do not get a black pocket square either, it will be almost pointless.
The Pocket square has to compliment with the tie, but not necessarily have to match it.

^
thanks im trying to go for that whole white black and gray conservative look

because of the fact i also wear black framed glasses and have already bought a nice pair of black shoes

so i want to incorporate that as well maybe a little traditional if you know what i mean

so if you have any tie/pocket square suggestions im all ears, just don't know where to look

and money is an issue lol

Since you are looking for a 3-piece suit with a black and grey combo, this is a good classic old-style look.
But go with a solid tie and maybe a solid shirt. Then compliment that with a pocket square.
Overall though, I liek this look, just change the tie.
47925c997cdd56812b3c3640da4baccb.jpg

Man, seeing this thread brings back memories of having to sell suits for almost three years.

I had a few tips for my customers, but I don't know if they really apply anymore since its been awhile.

-Match you belt with your shoes, and get the belt two sizes up from your waist size.

-Never button all the buttons on your jacket. If its a three button, button the top two. If its a two button, button the top one only.

-For a job interview, crazy ties are usually a no go. Go with geometric shapes, stripes, or solid.

-If your going to get an OTR suit tailored, its usually best to get the size at most 1 inch smaller or 2 inches bigger than your actual size.
Anything bigger would make the suit horrible (pleats misaligned, pockets shortened, etc.). Theres only so much fabric in the pants
that you can let out.

-I usually allowed .5 of space in the neck for comfort.

Originally Posted by saiyan Xtreme

-Never button all the buttons on your jacket. If its a three button, button the top two. If its a two button, button the top one only.
Here's an easy way to remember which button to button up in a 3-buttonsuit.

Top button = Always
Middle button = Sometimes
Bottom button = Never

So remember - always, sometimes, never.

Back
Top Bottom