Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

Originally Posted by I3

How much would it cost to tailor something similar to this?

00009f.jpg

i'm feelin this suit
pimp.gif

i always wanted to go for this look, but I'm a 6'3 black dude I'm not sure if it would look right, I definitely wouldn't want to pay all thatmoney to get it tailored and not liking the results
frown.gif

Alright, I'm looking for a light-medium shade of cotton khaki suit for my wedding next August (late afternoon tropical Miami wedding, so that's whythat color/material). Any thoughts on where I should be looking other than the J-Crew/Ralph Lauren/Calvin Klein types?

Originally Posted by akf0dy7

Originally Posted by I3

How much would it cost to tailor something similar to this?

00009f.jpg

i'm feelin this suit
pimp.gif

i always wanted to go for this look, but I'm a 6'3 black dude I'm not sure if it would look right, I definitely wouldn't want to pay all that money to get it tailored and not liking the results
frown.gif

You cna pull it off. Check out this tips.

Before
The Tall Man
Raja Bell: Shooting guard, Phoenix Suns
6'5"210 lbs
"When I first got into the NBA, I tried to buy a couple of suits off the rack, but they didn't fit. To get the length I needed, I also got boxiness.They would have to taper the jacket, but then I felt like I had wings under the armpits. So I started going to a tailor. And that's the key: Pick out agood tailor and just trust him… You want the suit to fit the way you want it to fit, but let him handle the details. That's what he gets paid todo."

Don'ts:
• Don't buy suits with oversize, padded shoulders. They swallow you up, making you look frailer, not bigger.
• Don't wear extra-slim ties. You need ties with a bit of width so they won't appear to elongate your torso.

After
The 5 Tips Every Tall Man Should Know
1) Lighter colors add width to a narrow frame.
2) A two-button suit works great on a tall man-as long as the suit has relatively high-cut lapels.
3) Just because you're tall doesn't mean you need an extra-long suit size. Try on a long first.
4) Keep the amount of cuff you show to a minimum.
5) Ask for a decent amount of break in your trousers, so your long legs don't look too long.
Suit, $1,830, by Prada at Barneys New York. Shirt, $640, by Jil Sander at Barneys New York. Tie, $150, by Gucci. Shoes, $315, by Allen-Edmonds.
Tall Man, Rounded Shoe
Take a pass on those pointy dress shoes-you don't want to make your feet look longer than they are. Opt instead for a slightly rounder toe, to help keep your foot size in check.

Get in the Loop
After you knot your tie, never have enough length left to reach the back loop? Don't buy a new, longer tie; just ask your tailor to move up the loop.

Divide and Conquer
When you're tall, you want your clothes to play down your height-to keep things in proportion. Accessories that cut across your body, such as belts, quarter-folded pocket squares, and horizontally striped ties, help accomplish this.

Alright, I'm looking for a light-medium shade of cotton khaki suit for my wedding next August (late afternoon tropical Miami wedding, so that's why that color/material). Any thoughts on where I should be looking other than the J-Crew/Ralph Lauren/Calvin Klein types?

Nearing the end of summer, it might be a bit difficult to find a khaki suit. H&M and ZARA used to have them a couple of months ago but now I am not too sure. Last time I visited H&M, they didn't have it. CK may have some, check out Macys. I don't like how CK suits fit though, they are a bit too boxy.

I'm not sure RL has has some khaki suits, I don't remember seeing one this season or in the past.

Yeah I was iffy on buying on line. Im a sz 50 on the jacket maybe a 49 or 48. But the pants I might need a different size. Thanks for the heads up really do appreciate that. I will check out that site.
You must have huge shoulders and in that size the pants might come with a size 38-40. So your best maybe suit separates so you don't have to settle for whatever size pants comes with the jacket. Made to measuer like I mentioned earlier is a good choice too as it is fitted for your body type.

I'm a husky guy and I always have problems with my belt staying where its suppose to (havin a belly FTL). Where should the belt be? Right below the navel, or should it sit above the hips?

This was a suggestion in another page:
Suspend Your Weight
Avoid having to choose between strapping your pants above or below your belly: Wear suspenders and float your waist.

However, to answer your question, the belt should be below the navel, about an inch below to be exact.

Originally Posted by eaglebball1499

Alright, I'm looking for a light-medium shade of cotton khaki suit for my wedding next August (late afternoon tropical Miami wedding, so that's why that color/material). Any thoughts on where I should be looking other than the J-Crew/Ralph Lauren/Calvin Klein types?

I found a decent suit made by J.Crew.
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Men...ialsuiting/PRDOVR~81555/99101128900/81555.jsphttp://www.jcrew.com/AST/...555/99101128900/81555.jsp

The sizes are limited for the jackets but the pants (classic fit) has plenty of sizes to choose from. I would also alter the pants to slim it down since itlooks a bit big but the price isn't bad for both. Thats a $240 suit There is probably a coupon code floating around online that could knock a couple ofdollars off.

Good luck.

that's a great Raja Bell article. My friend fits and manufactures suits for NBA players and when they trust what you're doing they look amazing. Whenthey want everything super long and baggy they look like garbage.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by retrospect90

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

How much are those gucci linxs? the one on the left..

$365
sick.gif
. I like the Burberry ones, and some of them are only $150. Them Gucci ones are real real nice......some other day though.

Gucci has their jewelry line (they even have a separate store at Rodeo Drive) so it is expensive. It is supposedly good quality but half the price is in the name.
I would rather get a nice Tiffany cuff links than Gucci, although both can be real nice.
my girl working at Neiman Marcus FTW.....30/30 is so great......I can get all the overpriced accessories for 51% off (if I didnt I would neverwaste my time or money)

[h1]Three Great Shoes (That Aren't Boring Black Ones)[/h1]

Three rich shoe alternatives to your plain black oxfords to lighten up your drab office wardrobe.

mid-blue-solid-0808-lg-45493669.jpg

[h3][/h3]
With a mid-blue solid: With a blue that's slightly lighter than navy, you can go a little bit lighter with the shade of your shoes. Here, the lighter tan has a deep patina in the seams that gives it gravitas.

Suit ($495) by Perry Ellis; shoes ($890) by A. Testoni; socks ($9) by Nautica.

blue-windowpane-0808-lg-51441262.jpg

[h3][/h3]
With a navy-blue windowpane: See the subtle, rust-colored pattern on the suit? And see how it complements the oxblood-#$+ leather? Yeah, we noticed that, too. So will other people.

Suit ($1,995) by Pal Zileri; shoes ($980) by Louis Vuitton; socks ($18) by Brooks Brothers.

blue-pinstripe-0808-lg-14628506.jpg

[h3][/h3]
With a navy-blue pinstripe: Nothing says "trust me" like a bold pinstripe and rich chocolate-brown shoes (here given a twist with a patterned navy sock). Except maybe a priest's collar, and even then.

Suit ($3,400) by Ravazzolo; shoes ($760) by Church's; socks ($35) by Pantherella.

I agree for the most part, as I mentioned multiple times in this thread, brown is a bit more versatile than black dress shoes.
Take Note: Of course there are a cheaper alternative to these shoes.

The $5,000 Wardrobe

The Best Dress Shirt $155 Can Buy
Over the next ten months, Esquire will tell you how to create a killer wardrobe for just five grand. In Part One, we start with a basic bluedress shirt.
5000man-0307-240x312

This Sea Island cotton shirt by Charles Tyrwhitt marks the first installment of a ten-month series on the perfect $5,000 wardrobe. Maybe not afull wardrobe (you probably have more than $20,000 worth of clothes in your closet right now) but an essential foundation. Look at it as a checklist for ayear's worth of shopping or a set of guidelines for spending your money generally. The shirt? It's made of superlight and comfortable sea islandcotton. And it's versatile. It's not too slim-fitting, but it's not cut like a box. Your other two purchases this month should be the same thing inwhite and blue-and-white stripe. You could go a year wearing only these three shirts and no one would notice. As long as you wash them every now and then.Sea island cotton shirt ($155) by Charles Tyrwhitt.

The Two Blazers Every Man Should Own
In Part 2 of "The $5,000 Wardrobe," we spend $1,345 on two blazers, one gray and one blue.
5000sportcoat-0407-460x360.jpg

A wardrobe requires only two blazers. The navy two-button blazer is the most functional -- it can be dressed up with a tie or down withjeans. The lightweight tweed works for the weekend or any event at which there's a chance of having a conversation about the cinematography of Wim Wenders.Keep in mind that each of these sport coats, like any suit jacket, should be impeccably tailored. Gray two-button wool jacket ($795) by Luigi BianchiMantova; blue two-button wool jacket ($550) by DKNY.

The Only Pair of Jeans That Should Touch Your Legs
In Part 3 of "The $5,000 Wardrobe," we highlight the ultimate transition piece: dark blue jeans.
diesel-kajo-lg.jpg

No man can afford to be without a great pair of dark-blue jeans, and a pair of Diesel's Kajo Jeans work nicely. Well-designed denimshould be loose but not baggy and fitted without being tight, and you should avoid distressing, fraying, or other "character building"embellishments. If washed sparingly, jeans will last for years and develop a character all their own. Jeans ($140) by Diesel.

[h1]If You Must Own Ties, Own These Three
For $218, liberate yourself from the tyranny of well-intentioned Father's Day gifts and an overstuffed tie rack.
three-ties-0607-lg.jpg

[/h1]
There's no such thing as a tie that's right for every occasion. Sorry, there just isn't. The good news, however, is that a mancan survive on three ties alone. A dark stripe, a bright solid, and a subtle pattern like the ones shown here are versatile and classic, and between themyou're ready for whatever life throws your way.

From left: Ties by Brooks Brothers ($60); Hickey Freeman ($98); DKNY ($60).

One Pair of Shoes for All Your Footwear Needs

If you have only $5,000 to spend on a wardrobe, shell out $350 for a pair of these.
5000-man-shoes-0707-lg.jpg

In an ideal world, everyone would have at least two pairs of dress shoes -- one black and one brown -- but if life backs you into a cornerand forces you to choose, go with black. Make that inky black, and to maximize your mileage, make it a pair of lace-up calfskin oxfords with a round cap toe.They're the most versatile shoes around, and if kept polished and dry, they can be worn anytime and anywhere.

Leather shoes ($350) by Johnston & Murphy.

A Sweater for All Seasons

We know what you're thinking. Why pitch me a sweater in August? But when it's cashmere, it's always in season.
5000-sweater-0807-lg.jpg

The best sweaters in the world are usually made from cashmere, and there's a reason for that. It's soft, obviously, and if caredfor properly, the fabric is strong enough to last for years. But cashmere's greatest asset is its versatility: A good cashmere sweater is warm enough forwinter but lightweight enough for spring, fall, and the cool summer nights in between. Start with gray or black and build a stack from there. Cashmeresweaters ($79 each) by Uniqlo.

The Square Foot of Fabric That Changes Everything
The oft-overlooked pocket square can do it all, adding a punch of color to a drab ensemble and even replacing that necktie you hate wearing. This is the onlyone you need.
5000-pocket-square-0907-lg.jpg

It's easy to dismiss pocket squares as trendy and just a little bit twee, but the fact is that a certain kind of man -- thewell-dressed kind -- has always had one at the ready to complement or even sub in for a necktie. White goes with everything, of course, but for one that standsout and ages extraordinarily well, start with a silk square in a dark shade.

Silk pocket squares ($35 each) by Brooks Brothers.

You Need Only One Overcoat. This Overcoat.

When it comes to overcoats, you want something warm, expertly tailored, and well constructed. This Club Monaco number is $900 and worth everypenny.
overcoat-1007-lg.jpg

You never, ever want to skimp on an overcoat. This is something that most of us learn the hard way, like when we're in Chicago inDecember and we're w-w-wishing we'd spent more on a coat that, you know, worked. The most versatile option is a cashmere or wool single-breasted designthat hovers just about the knee. Wear it anywhere, and if chosen carefully, you can wear it for years.

Cashmere Ellington coat ($899) by Club Monaco.

The Perfect Plain Brown Loafers
In Part 9 of "The $5,000 Wardrobe," we spend $365 on some good-looking loafers.
loafers-1107-lg.jpg

Dressing up is usually pretty easy: Throw on a suit, lace up your black leather oxford shoes, and away you go. Dressing down, however, iswhere things get tricky, which is all the more reason you need a pair of plain brown loafers. They look as good with blue jeans as they do with corduroy orflannel trousers, and once you break them in, they'll feel almost as comfortable as your favorite pair of sneakers.

Leather loafers ($365) by Cole Haan.

The Terrific Two-Button Suit
In the last installment of "The $5,000 Wardrobe," we reveal the final piece of the sartorial puzzle: A two-button suit from Z Zegna.
zegna-suit-1207-lg.jpg

Finally. Nine months since setting out for the perfect $5,000 wardrobe, we've come to the one item, the final item, that gives shapeand meaning to all the rest: a two-piece suit, preferably an all-purpose option in dark blue or gray. Keep in mind that if you own only a few suits, it'salways better to purchase one $1,200 suit than two $500 suits. It'll fit better and feel better, and you'll see exactly where that extra moneywent.

Two-button wool suit ($995) by Z Zegna.

Originally Posted by Sir RnR

daymn.. i can never find the right shoe to go with a suit

This is the thread for you.
Let us know what color and style your suit and we'll be glad to offer a suggestion.

YO!
The Square Foot of Fabric That Changes Everything
The oft-overlooked pocket square can do it all, adding a punch of color to a drab ensemble and even replacing that necktie you hate wearing. This is the only one you need.
smh.gif

I keep trying to tell y'all.

DF!!!

Aright fellas..

I've got a wedding next week...I recently lost a significant amount of weight (30lbs) and dropped a good 4-6 pant sizes (From a 38 to a 34-32) and now NONEof my suits fit. This wedding is my like...3rd cousins so I mean, I'm not there to be taking pictures and stuff...

I'm not going in jeans obviously, but, one, its too late to get a suit, and two, I really don't wanna buy another one right now since I'm not gonnabe wearing it any time soon after the wedding.

I have these pants, probably my favorite dress pants in my wardrobe...Black, with thin, closely dotted white pinstriping, and textured black lines opposite thewhite..They fit pretty good, so I'm thinking of sticking with these pants...

I figure a crisp white shirt would do the trick, but I'd be willing to change it up... Different color, pattern, maybe a vest..I'm open to anything..

If a different pattern, what kind?
If I could wear a vest, what kinda vest?

Heres the pants.
dsc02146gk1.jpg

dsc02147kc1.jpg

To be honest, I don't know how well the pants would fit after going 4-6 sizes down. My best advice is run to H&M or GAP and get yourself some betterfitting pants.
However, if you must stick with that one, I would highly go against a vest since a pinstripe pants with a non-matchign vest will look ridiculous and"trying to hard."
Still with a light, basic, solid color dress shirt or a dark basic, solid dress shirt. I wouldn't go with white because you will look like you're goingto work.
Try a dark blue or maybe a light blue or light grey, although light blue will make you look like you're going to work as well. Having one pair of pants towork with, especially a pinstripe one, is very difficult and makes your choices very limited.
I would go with a dark purple, very dark though, almost black in dim light. With a patterned tie that compliments the purple and white pinstripe.
I woudl also go with a medium grey dress shirt with a dark tie. The tie has to be darker than the dress shirt in this case.
Brown dress shoes of course, not only to differ from other people but also because it will looks better with grey, blue or purple.
If you ahve any, try using a narrow tie, not skinny but narrow so that it gives it a less formal look.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

my tip:
money does not buy you style
you don't have to splurge to look good
I just found this thread, and after skimming through this this that Dirty posted on the first page is the best post I've seen.

keep this alive! Im a stickler for always wearing suits that have the matching jacket and pants, and im trying to break that. Every time I see someone w/ apair of pants but a different blazer or jacket on, it always looks nice. What are the 'rules' or 'tips' on doing this?

Just a heads up, Brook Brothers is having a good deal on their 1818 Suit Collection.
Buy 2 for $999, which usually cost $998 each.
Fitzgerald is their most slim from the collection but all 3 (Madison, Regent & Fitsgerald) are on sale.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=575http://www.brooksbrothers...t_Id=1&Section_Id=575

They also have dress shirt on sale for 3 for $199. Also a good deal.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/miracleshirt.temhttp://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/miracleshirt.tem

Enjoy!

RFX, you seem to have pretty good taste, so I feel comfortable asking for your suggestions...

I'm 19 and looking to buy my first suit (for interviews, presentations, speeches, etc). I want something somewhat conservative, yet something that willhelp me stick out when I wear it. I guess I want to be able to stick out in a crowd without being too flashy (if you know what I mean...). I'm looking forsomething either blue or charcoal. Do you have suggestions as far as brands or styles that I should be looking at? And if it matters, I'm a somewhattall/lanky build (5'11", 150 lbs)...I don't really know what kind of price range I should be looking at either, since I don't really knowanything about suits...I'm willing to spend up to $300...am I gonna need to save more before purchasing my first suit, or will this budget be alright?

Tmay407, for your built, H&M seems to be the perfect fit for you. They are real slim and they have the basic colors, black, navy and charcoal.
My guess is, at 19, wearing a suit alone, especially a great fitting one will be enough to make you stand out.
You can add a pocket square that compliments the tie, that is a great way to stand out.
Get some brown shoes as well, along with a brown belt, it is also a good way to differ yourself from others.
H&M will probably run you $150 or less for a suit, while ZARA is also a good choice but will probably cost you $300 for a suit.
ZARA is slightly better quality and you have more choices in color and style but H&M is good if you want to purchase two suits to alternate with eachother.
For the most part, the suit will have to be brought to the tailor anyways (hemming pants, shortening sleeves, etc..) but it is always best to get the bestfitting off the rack suit you can to eliminate as much tailoring needed as possible.

Good luck.

RFX45,

Im looking to spend around 1g for a suit, would you recommend a OTR or a tailored? The thing is i'll be away in Dubai.. so im sure prices will be expensiveand I wouldn't have a clue to find a decent tailor.

I would love a slim-cut suit, similar to the picture I posted a few pages back.

Back
Top Bottom