Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

How much are those gucci linxs? the one on the left..

$365
sick.gif
. I like the Burberry ones, and some of them are only $150.Them Gucci ones are real real nice......some other day though.

Originally Posted by retrospect90

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

How much are those gucci linxs? the one on the left..

$365
sick.gif
. I like the Burberry ones, and some of them are only $150. Them Gucci ones are real real nice......some other day though.

Gucci has their jewelry line (they even have a separate store at Rodeo Drive) so it is expensive. It is supposedly good quality but half the price is inthe name.
I would rather get a nice Tiffany cuff links than Gucci, although both can be real nice.

paul smith is a dope brand,....but anyone know a good place to get some french cuff shirt? i need one for a wedding im attending this weekend ..

YO!
I've answered it a couple times before but now I just tend to ignore the question.
So I'll just say I work at a corporate company that owns/manages several businesses, including real state, nursing homes and a couple of small businesses.
Nothing really interesting, at least not to NTers.
happy.gif

laugh.gif
I was sure I had missed it.

DF!!!

Originally Posted by i3allistic

paul smith is a dope brand,....but anyone know a good place to get some french cuff shirt? i need one for a wedding im attending this weekend ..

I've seen plenty at Bloomingdales....they actually had a solid variety.

Jos A Banks

etc.

Jos A Banks are good but I'm not sure you'll find much fitted stuff there. I would suggest Brooks Brothers, they have more fitted stuff and probablyhas a few selections of shirts with french cuffs.

Jos A Banks is a bargain though and if you can bring it to a tailor for some fitting alterations, then it might be well worth it.

Where would you guys recomend to buy a non expensive suit?? DO YOU RECOMEND JC PENNY??? I live in the LOS ANGELES AREA.. VEry interesting thread.. Thanks.. Ohand how about online?? Ive gone to menswherehouse. BUt when I choose the jacket size, it dosent ask me for the pant size. But it says it comes with pants.. HOWDO I CHOOSE IT???

Originally Posted by djaward

Where would you guys recomend to buy a non expensive suit?? DO YOU RECOMEND JC PENNY??? I live in the LOS ANGELES AREA.. VEry interesting thread.. Thanks.. Oh and how about online?? Ive gone to menswherehouse. BUt when I choose the jacket size, it dosent ask me for the pant size. But it says it comes with pants.. HOW DO I CHOOSE IT???

Since you are in LA, check out http://www.thickasthievesla.com/http://www.thickasthievesla.com/. It is a custom made to measure suit that starts at around $470 per suit. Great suitand fits well since it based off of your body. You can order it online and it will arrive to you within a month or so or you can schedule an appointment withJason, the owner, for a consultation and talk about the fabrics and the style you want. Browse around in the website and figure out what you want. ContactJason too, he is very knowledgeable and can provide any help you may need.

As for online sites, when it says pants comes with the suit, they usually are the basic general sizing. Like a size 30 pants with a size 38-40 jacket, etc...These suits are meant to be altered so the bottom are usually unhemmed and there are room for adjustment in the waist. I do not recommend ordering onlinethough unless you are 100% sure with your size.

YO!
Jos A Banks is a bargain though and if you can bring it to a tailor for some fitting alterations, then it might be well worth it.
My cousin's a larger guy ( a bit smaller than me but maybe a larger gut) and he swears by Jos A Banks.

djaward, I'll get back to you when I can answer each of those questions. DF!!!

^^^ The H&M are sold as separates but $40 for each piece is not bad at all.

As for buy a belt before the shoe comment, I don't necessarily think you need to match the shoe and belt to an exact color shade. A dark brown shoe will do fine with dark brown belt. It would just be too difficult sicne not every shoe maker makes a matching belt.
Check out Allen Edmonds, they have a huge choice of colors when it coems to belts. Johnston & Murphy also has a decent color choices, worth a look.
To be honest though, a custom made belt from a reputable leather belt maker will be a much better choice.

Thanks for the info. I went by after work, and they had the grey tweed pants in a 33, but they didn't have the vest in a 40
frown.gif

What do you think of the quality? Lately I've been trying to shy away from 'one time wear' meaning clothes that are cheap and poorly constructed.Still don't know where these garments stand. Definitely dig the look though, that's for certain.

Originally Posted by Vancity74

^^^ The H&M are sold as separates but $40 for each piece is not bad at all.

As for buy a belt before the shoe comment, I don't necessarily think you need to match the shoe and belt to an exact color shade. A dark brown shoe will do fine with dark brown belt. It would just be too difficult sicne not every shoe maker makes a matching belt.
Check out Allen Edmonds, they have a huge choice of colors when it coems to belts. Johnston & Murphy also has a decent color choices, worth a look.
To be honest though, a custom made belt from a reputable leather belt maker will be a much better choice.

Thanks for the info. I went by after work, and they had the grey tweed pants in a 33, but they didn't have the vest in a 40
frown.gif

What do you think of the quality? Lately I've been trying to shy away from 'one time wear' meaning clothes that are cheap and poorly constructed. Still don't know where these garments stand. Definitely dig the look though, that's for certain.

To be honest, quality isn't that bad for the price and for the fit and style you get, it is almost a steal. If it is worn maybe a couple of times a year,it should last a couple of years. If it is worn on a weekly basis, it should probably last 9 months to a year with proper care. A 3 piece suit that cost $120and looks pretty damn good is a great deal to me, even if it only last 6 months. For the most part, this will be worn in a dinner or formal/semi-formal eventso i can't really imagine this getting some rigorous wear. Just as a comparison, probably the same quality as Gap, which isn't so bad.

Also, for some coats and jackets, ZARA has some great looking ones too. Their dress shirts on sale fits well and usually goes for $25-$35. Slightly betterquality than H&M, maybe more on Banana Republic/Express quality.

Those Gucci and Burberrys are kinda tacky.

Paul Smith ones are fly as hell.

Hermes makes nice simple ones, Bottega Veneta makes some cool ones that use the signature braided leather pattern. Richard James makes a ton of cool ones too.

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

Vineyard Vines Ties and Southern Proper Ties Hermes.....FTW.
VV basically ripped off Hermes' designs anyways...they were the first (I believe) to do a bunch of the pattern ties VV is famous for, only VVis a lot "preppier" in their choice of images and color combos.

Zara is def my favorite brand.

I also size down on Kenneth Cole and everything fits amazing.

H&M fit is great, but nothing really impresses me. The pants are nice.

^^^ Most of H&M pants fit me real well and I seriously want to buy almost every pants (non-jeans) they have. The design and material/look it has just looksreal good.

Hugo Boss Slim Fits dress shirts are real nice too and I often get them on sale at Macys for $50, I can't really beat that. I'm still not fond of HugoBoss suits though.

Joe camel, I can understand the Gucci being tacky but the Burberry is simple and doesn't have branding on it other than the subtle nova check. Then againyou have a certain disdain for Burberry so I guess I understand.
laugh.gif

ZARA makes decent suits for a decent price, probably less than $250 for a wool suit.

Yeah I'm just biased as hell, Burberry could make an exact copy of something I already own and I'd still hate on it.
laugh.gif

Gucci ones actually aren't bad, it just seems a little much to pay $300+ for plain cufflinks with "Gucci" etched in them. I'd at least go fora design if I was paying that much. But they're definitely nice and understated.

I'm lacking in the suit department....I just don't see a need for many suits yet but I always see nice stuff everywhere. It's only a matter of timebefore I scoop up some $4000 suit I never wear.

If your going to buy a $4000 suit, you might as well get bespoke and save 50%-60% of that.
Just buy a grey or navy RL Black Label suit and you would be set for any occasions you would need it for. They usually go on sale too so buying it at a saleprice is a good choice.
If you want it to be a bit loose but still fitted, go for the RL Purple Label suit. although you do like non-traditional and more modern clothes so Black Labelwill be much better for you.

Yeah, I mean you could go to Savile Row and get something for around $4000 and that's taking into account the horrible exchange rate.

How does Black Label fit?

been lurking but good info in here...

and damn camel with the burberry hate. dude would probably hate my wallet
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Yeah, I mean you could go to Savile Row and get something for around $4000 and that's taking into account the horrible exchange rate.

How does Black Label fit?

Black Label fits real small, very fitted in the shoulder and torso with slim pants. it is one of the most beautiful OTR suits out there though with the qualityto match.

I'm a husky guy and I always have problems with my belt staying where its suppose to (havin a belly FTL). Where should the belt be? Right below the navel,or should it sit above the hips?

Originally Posted by djaward

Where would you guys recomend to buy a non expensive suit?? DO YOU RECOMEND JC PENNY??? I live in the LOS ANGELES AREA.. VEry interesting thread.. Thanks.. Oh and how about online?? Ive gone to menswherehouse. BUt when I choose the jacket size, it dosent ask me for the pant size. But it says it comes with pants.. HOW DO I CHOOSE IT???

Since you are in LA, check out http://www.thickasthievesla.com/http://www.thickasthievesla.com/http://www.thickasthievesla.com/. It is a custom made to measure suit that starts at around $470 per suit. Great suit and fits well since it based off of your body. You can order it online and it will arrive to you within a month or so or you can schedule an appointment with Jason, the owner, for a consultation and talk about the fabrics and the style you want. Browse around in the website and figure out what you want. Contact Jason too, he is very knowledgeable and can provide any help you may need.

As for online sites, when it says pants comes with the suit, they usually are the basic general sizing. Like a size 30 pants with a size 38-40 jacket, etc... These suits are meant to be altered so the bottom are usually unhemmed and there are room for adjustment in the waist. I do not recommend ordering online though unless you are 100% sure with your size.
Yeah I was iffy on buying on line. Im a sz 50 on the jacket maybe a 49 or 48. But the pants I might need a different size. Thanks for the heads upreally do appreciate that. I will check out that site.

ANT- No problem. like i said Im in no hurry. I can get away with PANTS, SHIRT AND TIE for now. But I really do look foward to your answers. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom