OFFICIAL Minnesota Twins 2009 Season Thread (87-76)---> AL CENTRAL CHAMPS! Great season guys.

Sig check baby
pimp.gif

I just had a thought...

I was watching Baseball Tonight and they were talking about Matt Holliday and all this arbitration crap and yada yada, about how teams don't want to tradefor stud players because they don't want to pay the contracts in this sucky economy...It got me thinking though, that I understand the Pohlad's havealways been bootstrappers, but if we got all these teams unwilling to spend money, and this organization has a lot more $$$ than they let on (Pohlad was abillionaire for cryin' out loud) why not buy low...because lord knows we sold high with a lot of our talent in the past...Just a thought, because we couldnab some good players to push this team over the top if they would open their wallet some...I know though, that that is asking a lot from t hisorganization..unfortunately..
smh.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

I just had a thought...

I was watching Baseball Tonight and they were talking about Matt Holliday and all this arbitration crap and yada yada, about how teams don't want to trade for stud players because they don't want to pay the contracts in this sucky economy...It got me thinking though, that I understand the Pohlad's have always been bootstrappers, but if we got all these teams unwilling to spend money, and this organization has a lot more $$$ than they let on (Pohlad was a billionaire for cryin' out loud) why not buy low...because lord knows we sold high with a lot of our talent in the past...Just a thought, because we could nab some good players to push this team over the top if they would open their wallet some...I know though, that that is asking a lot from t his organization..unfortunately..
smh.gif
What? Improving the team with decently paid players? You're crazy.

I would love to see this happen though...
frown.gif

Also I was checking team stats today to see where we stand amongst the MLB's best... We're in 10th for team HR
pimp.gif

I didn't even realize that, and we're only 3 behind the Rockies who play in a juiced park...
eek.gif

^ Kind of off subject, but not really, did you know they put the game balls for Coors field into a humidifier to lessen the amount of homers hit in thatstadium? I heard that on the radio the other day. I guess it's dropped the total considerably since they first started player there.

An interesting tidbit.

Is there a number less than zero? If so that is the chance the Twins go for any "name" trade.

It's a joke and will continue to be.

Im going to be real anxious to see this team fork over $20+ million a year for Joe Mauer, I am almost guaranteeing Bill Pohlad has not slept in the past 6months thinking about this. Well at least if they do (yes I said if) then we will get to hear that we then cannot go for anyone else the next 3-4 years becauseour payroll is set.

Man this team needs to start making a run...................now. Getting tired of these "lets take 2 out of 3" series. We need to start sweeping whenwe can.

Liriano is dangerously close to not being on this roster next season unless it is a bullpen role.

Blackburn with a gem so far. One K, but who cares? He's on my fantasy team
pimp.gif

Speaking of fantasy. In the Easy Money NT league, we've got 3 Twins fans in the Top 6.
pimp.gif
Me brining up the caboose, but I'll crack Top 5 soon. Istarted at the bottom btw.
smile.gif

Complete game? When was the last time a Twins starter did such a unheard of thing?

Edit: One out away from pitching a shutout and dropping his ERA below 3, but instead gave up a run and his ERA imploded to 3.09.
smh.gif

laugh.gif

2 out of 3....

We've heard that before.

We're 34-34...this is where we need to make a run. Losing series' to average teams isn't an option. We need to win every series and hopefully sweepsome of them as well.

Luckily no one else is running away with the division.

Pitching matchups for the weekend series...

Friday: Roy Oswalt (3-3, 4.37) .vs. Kevin Slowey (9-2, 4.23)
Saturday: Brian Moehler (3-4, 6.66) .vs. Scott Baker (4-6, 5.30)
Sunday: Wandy Rodriguez (5-6, 3.33) .vs Glen Perkins (2-3, 5.09)

Houston's dead last in their division right now with the record of 30-34...6-4 in their last ten games.

Saw this today
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
(And yes "double-digit" means 10 Home Runs)

Twins batters with double-digit home runs in all of 2006: FOUR
Twins batters with double-digit home runs in all of 2007: FOUR
Twins batters with double-digit home runs in all of 2008: THREE
Twins batters with double-digit home runs in all of 2009: FIVE (68 games)
pimp.gif

Seriously though this has got to start turning around
sick.gif

Season BA
.252 - Delmon Young
.230 - Joe Crede
.224 - Carlos Gomez
.218 - Nick Punto
.198 - Brian Buscher
.180 - Alexi Casilla
.175 - Matt Tolbert

And these dudes above have combined for 912 ABs
sick.gif
sick.gif

While certainly the averages of that group are astonishing, some of those players have made solid contributions. Crede has provided power and glovework at 3rd(the nagging injury every 3rd or 4th game is agitating though), Gomez has amazing D and has recently been better at the plate, and Young obviously willcontinue to battle through a tough time right now. Tolbert and Casilla are totally dispensable though.

As for our squad, I really sense a solid quality of ball being played heading into the all-star break. Historically under Gardenhire we have always played ourbest ball through the end of June and July.

Delmon thus far, it's safe to say, has been a bust...Meanwhile, we know what Garza and Bartlett have done for Tampa.
smh.gif

Oh well, I'm an incurable optimist and just as long as he produces at some point this season and over the long haul of his career.

Word, Delmon sucks. The dude has zero power and plate discipline. And runs around like he is 48 years old. The only reason he still is getting ABs is tojustify that trade!

The man has 12 total extra base hits his last 300 ABs. Ugh.

Eh...we better win tomorrow. Shame there was no one on base during those three solo shots today
tired.gif

Why does Bert stay hating on the new guy Robbie?
laugh.gif

I miss Telly
frown.gif

BTW, is it bad to be a little bit of a fan of Braun, considering he plays on one of our rival teams? Dude is pure
pimp.gif

Nice to get out to a 3-0 lead
8c336d3919038cb35eafea494dd5b73bafd40646.gif
...I can live with taking2/3 on the road every series, but we really need something to spark a run here soon.

I'll be out of town until July 11th, so I won't be able to update the thread title or whatever. Shouldn't be a problem, but I'm just lettin yaknow.

Back
Top Bottom