Official New York Yankees Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by toine2983

So what's the word on Kerry Wood?
Pretty sure from what I read last week that Cashman does not want to give him closer money that he is (probably) going to seek.

Originally Posted by toine2983

So what's the word on Kerry Wood?
Pretty sure from what I read last week that Cashman does not want to give him closer money that he is (probably) going to seek.

You can have Zambrano, please make us an offer, 3 mid level guys, he's yours.  Thanks. 

Soriano too? 
nerd.gif
  Make it 5 mid levels, you can have em both. 
laugh.gif

You can have Zambrano, please make us an offer, 3 mid level guys, he's yours.  Thanks. 

Soriano too? 
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

From LoHud.  I'm sure KLJ is going to raise an eyebrow.

[h2] [/h2]
[h2]Just throwing a name out there: Fausto Carmona [/h2]
In anticipation of the inevitable pipe-dream trade suggestions that will follow the Cliff Lee signing — many of which are already floating through the comments of this very blog — I started working this afternoon on a list of every top-of-the-rotation starter in baseball. Not prospects or solid veterans, but guys who could legitimately step into the Yankees No. 2 spot behind CC Sabathia, filling the spot Lee was supposed to occupy. Phil Hughes upgrades, essentially.

ph_433584.jpg
I’m still going through team-by-team, but I paused when I got to the Indians and saw Fausto Carmona’s name.

I hadn’t thought much about Carmona this winter, but the Indians stink and Carmona’s contract is reasonable. Just as I was writing a few sentences about him, Jon Paul Morosi reported that Carmona is generating significant interest.

Back in 2007, Carmona seemed to be on the verge of a big career. Then he came crashing back to Earth with terrible numbers in 2008 and 2009. Last season was a big bounce-back year for him. He’s not a sure thing – Hughes might very well outpitch him next season — but Carmona is owed a little more than $22 million for the next three seasons combined, and that third season is an option year. Given the going rate for pitchers, that’s not bad.

The Indians don’t need a catcher, but they could certainly use some upper-level pitching, and the Yankees have plenty of that. Morosi says the Indians aren’t actively trying to trade Carmona, but they’re willing to listen.

Just a guess, but I’d say he’s a more reasonable trade target for the Yankees than someone like Zack Greinke or Felix Hernandez.

From LoHud.  I'm sure KLJ is going to raise an eyebrow.

[h2] [/h2]
[h2]Just throwing a name out there: Fausto Carmona [/h2]
In anticipation of the inevitable pipe-dream trade suggestions that will follow the Cliff Lee signing — many of which are already floating through the comments of this very blog — I started working this afternoon on a list of every top-of-the-rotation starter in baseball. Not prospects or solid veterans, but guys who could legitimately step into the Yankees No. 2 spot behind CC Sabathia, filling the spot Lee was supposed to occupy. Phil Hughes upgrades, essentially.

ph_433584.jpg
I’m still going through team-by-team, but I paused when I got to the Indians and saw Fausto Carmona’s name.

I hadn’t thought much about Carmona this winter, but the Indians stink and Carmona’s contract is reasonable. Just as I was writing a few sentences about him, Jon Paul Morosi reported that Carmona is generating significant interest.

Back in 2007, Carmona seemed to be on the verge of a big career. Then he came crashing back to Earth with terrible numbers in 2008 and 2009. Last season was a big bounce-back year for him. He’s not a sure thing – Hughes might very well outpitch him next season — but Carmona is owed a little more than $22 million for the next three seasons combined, and that third season is an option year. Given the going rate for pitchers, that’s not bad.

The Indians don’t need a catcher, but they could certainly use some upper-level pitching, and the Yankees have plenty of that. Morosi says the Indians aren’t actively trying to trade Carmona, but they’re willing to listen.

Just a guess, but I’d say he’s a more reasonable trade target for the Yankees than someone like Zack Greinke or Felix Hernandez.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Soriano too? 
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Soriano too? 
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

I'd like Fausto...

Rays are talkin to Bobby Jenks...he can be useful in our pen...

*EDIT*

Just saw a report from Ken Rosenthal that the Yankees are in fact interested in Jenks

I'd like Fausto...

Rays are talkin to Bobby Jenks...he can be useful in our pen...

*EDIT*

Just saw a report from Ken Rosenthal that the Yankees are in fact interested in Jenks

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

pimp.gif
, or am I living in 2005 still?

I expect him to want closer money, but he obviously would set-up Mo. The question is, if there is a choice between re-signing Wood or signing Jenks, who gets chosen?

pimp.gif

I expect him to want closer money, but he obviously would set-up Mo. The question is, if there is a choice between re-signing Wood or signing Jenks, who gets chosen?

Trading for Felix would definitely cost the Yanks Montero and other top level prospects. Why not spend the Lee money and resign Kerry Wood and the rest of the bullpen. Or why not offer Brandon Webb an incentive contract, he was hurt last year but before that he was considered one if not the best pitcher in baseball, why not give him a try.

Trading for Felix would definitely cost the Yanks Montero and other top level prospects. Why not spend the Lee money and resign Kerry Wood and the rest of the bullpen. Or why not offer Brandon Webb an incentive contract, he was hurt last year but before that he was considered one if not the best pitcher in baseball, why not give him a try.

Originally Posted by airjordan2k4

Would make sense to spend   8-10mil on Wood..  8-12 mil on a Soriano or Jenks,  and 1-4 on other 2-3 other people..

But Cashman is picking a hell of a time to be frugal with his money

Would make sense to spend   8-10mil on Wood..  8-12 mil on a Soriano or Jenks,  and 1-4 on other 2-3 other people..

Originally Posted by bkmac

pimp.gif

Wood all day

Originally Posted by bkmac

pimp.gif

Wood all day

Originally Posted by Essential1

Don't mention Soriano, dude is useless to us. He plays with no heart and doesn't give a crap bout the game, and we've been there done that.

Don't mention Soriano, dude is useless to us. He plays with no heart and doesn't give a crap bout the game, and we've been there done that.

I think Essential1 means Rafael Soriano not Alfonso Soriano. Apart from getting a starting pitcher and fixing their bullpen, I think the Yanks need a leadoff hitter. Maybe it means getting one from free agency ie Johnny Damon or moving up Granderson or Gardner. Jeter is better in the number 2 spot in my opinion.

I think Essential1 means Rafael Soriano not Alfonso Soriano. Apart from getting a starting pitcher and fixing their bullpen, I think the Yanks need a leadoff hitter. Maybe it means getting one from free agency ie Johnny Damon or moving up Granderson or Gardner. Jeter is better in the number 2 spot in my opinion.

wouldn't mind fausto

heyman is reporting that pettite is leaning towards coming back

** AL HUGHES **

wouldn't mind fausto

heyman is reporting that pettite is leaning towards coming back

** AL HUGHES **

Yup I meant Rafael..

As for leadoff, I think you are right, Jeter is best at #2, but I think Jeter is better for the rest of the lineup if he was put at #1.

Back
Top Bottom